• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

My problem with Three Houses was that everything happened at the base-I do a few hours of prep work for a chapter, only to snap it in half with Ashe in a few minutes. (Sadly, this included Lonato. Nothing personal, Ashe.) On the topic at hand of Supports, I always felt overwhelmed by how many there were, to the point that I just stopped activating them and would just systematically read two or three every month. The other problem with the sheer amount of supports was the fact that they all tended to feel the same, particularly Bernadetta's. Their length, combined with how many I had to read, and how much more out of battle stuff that I had to do really made the prospect of reading the supports unsavory. (Unless the Byleth supports with Mercedes, Annette and the Dimitri/Mercedes ones are particularly long and I had uncanny luck.) I'm not gonna lie, I zoned out and started spamming the advance button after the second support and read as quickly as possible.

The fact that so much time was spent between each map made the game feel stagnant to me-any momentum gained by a catalystic event like the rebellion from the western church wore off by the second or third week, and I didn't really want to continue to bother raising up units and whatnot, but I had to if I wanted them to get anywhere-and the fact that I could beat the maps without looking at enemy ranges said something.

I can understand if you're not into lengthy supports (although they are pretty important to understanding the characters and their place in the overall story), but you said you played on normal/casual, right?

In that case, you'll definitely want to go hard/classic when you do play 3H. You do have to pay more attention to everything overall, and auxiliary battles are optional, so you can limit your grinding to the paralogues if you don't want to become OP quickly. Heck, if you like punishing difficulty, go maddening. It's not for me, personally, but you may want that kind of challenge.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

I hate her ngl.

But then again the non Stay Night servant i like can be counted on one hand.

ELITIST SCUM!
I'm kidding, of course. XD

I like quite a lot of the non-Stay Night Servants, actually.
Okita Souji, Nobunaga Oda, Karna, Arjuna, Tamamo, Nero, Elizabeth, Altera, Robin Hood, Charlemagne, Lu Bu, Li Shuwen, Lancelot, Gawain, Scathach, Siegfried, Chiron, Achilles, and Vlad III.
Just off the top of my head. XD

Shush you Fate Zoomer

xD

I'll take that as a compliment! XD

+Mordred, Frankenstein and Altera

That's probably it for me xD

F***, I forgot Mordred! Add her to my list, too!
Doesn't Chloe technically count, also? You can add her as well, in that case.

Just finished writing a giant post that nobody asked for in a wholly different topic.

If anyone is looking for some ideas of realistic non-military Medieval European travel conditions for something they're writing, I've copied and put the heaving wall of text here.:

Spoiler

I know this isn't the place to mention it because armies move at a wholly different pace from participants in the normal economy and life of the world, but I have the urge to state some ~1650s-1800 numbers on the pace of travel in Europe. They shouldn't be entirely off from Medieval numbers, which I assume would be same or worse.

To summarize some points from the one book I always turn back to:

• Roads- just foot tracks, no foundations, no pavement, no drainage, plenty of potholes. The better (but not good) roads are mostly deteriorated Roman roads made over 1000 years ago. Roads not always made to most efficiently get you from point A to point B- they could meander.
  • Because carriages overwhelmingly don't have shock-absorber springs and because roads are so muddy and holed-up, you're in for a bumpy, sluggish ride that is going to be very uncomfortable, but you still have to pay for it.
    • A coach required 4-6 draught animals, need to be replaced every 6-12 miles. On estimate put it at 1 horse per 1 mile along a well-maintained turnpike road in England in this period, and English roads were basically the Internet in terms of speed, practically everything else at the time was greatly inferior. London to Manchester was 185 miles, so 185 horses were needed for one stagecoach.
    • A coach could only carry up to ten people.
    • Price- A coach from Augsburg to Innsbruck in the Holy Roman Empire was 60 miles. It would take an unskilled laborer a month to afford just the basic fares.
  • Get a horse? Look at the above numbers, if you want to go fast, you'll need a lot of horses, and that'll be a lot of $$$.
  • Walking speed therefore, is the usual pace of travel for the average person. It's affordable (free) and won't be ruined by the dirt shit roads.
  • Paris to Rouen was 60 miles, took at least 3 days to get there in the 1600s. By the time of the French Revolution in 1789, one scholar says all French cities could be reached in a fortnight (two weeks). Back in 1660, Bordeaux to Paris took 15 days to travel the 364 miles, dropped to 5 1/2 days by 1789. Paris to Bordeaux at that later time would cost a clerk's monthly wages.
  • Paved roads require constant maintenance, thats a lot of money. You need a strong and centralized state to afford this, something which every kingdom to arise after the fall of the Western Roman Empire definitely wasn't.
  • And the state needs to be willing to spend for this, France under Louis XIV "the Sun King" never spent more than 0.8% of the budget on roads despite Jean-Baptiste Colbert's best efforts.
    • Or, you could be the great exception like England and realize government-issued private construction of and profiting from roads builds them good and fast.
  • Not all roads are created equal.
    • The French tried to build a road network in the 1600s-1789, but they succeeded only in the "royal roads" (or "arterial"), the roads connecting Paris to the other major cities.
      • Spain built very few roads, and even then mostly radial roads connecting royal estates to each other, not the country to itself. Those aren't very helpful for most people.
      • Building good roads isn't enough, the arterial roads of France were noted by the English as being positively empty of traffic compared to their bustling turnpikes.
    • "Lateral" roads connecting non-Paris cities to each other, or those cities to farming hamlets, or those hamlets to each other, were all neglected. They started 1800 as they were in 1600, tracks of toil. 380 miles from Amiens to Lyon would take you 25-30 days.

• Freight is in its own category apart from passenger traffic. The French road boom in the period (I'm just using it as a typical "non-England/Netherlands trying to move forward in history" example, Spain, the Italian peninsula, and Russia would all be waaaay worse) did nothing to bring freight travel out of its rut of 2 1/2 miles per day at best.
    • The 126 mile distance from Mayenne to the port of Le Havre would take about four weeks for freight. In 1715, the 289 mile distance from Lyon to Paris along a royal road would take three weeks for freight, and only 5 days less by 1789.
  • The effects of poor freight conditions? In Spain, Almeria is only 50 miles from Guadix, yet the price of wheat was double in Almeria what it was in Guadix. That shouldn't be the case if grain could flow remotely easy from city to city, but poor roads, combined with internal tariffs and other junk, meant it was cheaper for the coastal city of Almeria to import wheat from France, Italy or Africa via ships than to get from its own country via land.
  • As the Almeria example indicates, you don't have a national economy without a national transportation network (not that it made what at the time were strong economies impossible- the prosperity was just concentrated in select locations, feast adjacent to famine). You wind up with islands of production, unable to effectively service each other.
  • Most people traveled in their lives no more than 4-5 miles from where they lived. They went from home, to the local market (we're talking 90%+ agrarian populations here), the local notary's place, and the seigneurial court, all on foot.
  • As terrible as this all sounds, the above point means most people didn't know they were living in bad conditions. They never realized better than what they had existed, so how could they know it was bad? They never went to England and experienced its roads of glorious capitalism-meets-mercantilism-meets-country gentlemen, or traveled by barge up those countless Netherlands canals.

...I felt like I've written enough and don't want to talk waterways, not that FE has shown a whole lot of sophistication here. Canals aren't very relevant besides that one in Valentia.

• However, the waves and storms could make things as uncomfortable at sea as a coach on land, or worse.
  • Also, the winds are a fickle beast for sea travel with sails. A one-way trip from Nantes on the west coast of France to Gdansk in eastern modern day Poland, with perfect winds, would take 18 days. On average, you'd need a month, and if Mother Nature was being a witch, it could take 100 days or even 150 in the winter.

The flow of mail on land is another distinct aspect of travel apart from people and freight, but the urge is out of my system and hence I will not discuss it.

I enjoyed writing all of this.😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

She isn't really a servant tbf xD

True enough. And I can't really imagine her being one. Too rebellious. XD
I just asked if she counts, because she's technically born from Archer's power.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

But yes i love her if you are asking 

Same!
I still think she's the best character in Prisma.

Shirou for me.

Shirou the Spot light stealer

''Wait onii chan this is my show!''
''Since when?'' xD

XD
I have no one I really dislike in that manga, actually. Everyone is good in my book!
Chloe just wins it for me. I love the idea of her being a second Illya and the wacky hijinx it brings along in 2wei, I like her personality, and I love how she's immediately ready to take action when it counts.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*real Illya

Details matter

True, you said she's closer to Stay Night Illya than Prisma's Illya is.

But I don't feel good calling Prisma's Illya a "fake", since I like her as well, in all honesty.

But yeah everyone in Prisma is cool.

Umu!

Except the Ainsworth they need to burn xD

Yeah!
But that is why they're the villains! And luckily, they're the "love to hate" kind of villains, not the "oh god, please shut up" kind of villains (like Archimedes was in Extella).

Edited by DragonFlames

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

She does!
Neat! I like Eirika, actually! One of only two, maybe three characters in FE8 I actually like.

How come? Because I think Eirika seriously needs a rewrite to salvage her.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And I hate Ephraim, too. If Fates didn't happen, he'd be my least favorite FE character and his game my least favorite FE game (that I finished).

IMO, Ephraim isn't as bad as Eirika is, but he still has a lot of room for improvement character wise.

I will qoute Shirou

''Nobody said a fake can't beat the original''
although in that case she definetly does not imo

I don't actually know which one I like more between the two.
And thus, I'll take a third option and say "Chloe".

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

IMO, Ephraim isn't as bad as Eirika is, but he still has a lot of room for improvement character wise.

Outside of the story being a complete mess, Eirika is at the very least likeable to me. Which is much more than I can say for her brother, who is undeservedly worshipped to such a degree by the story all the avatars from modern FE would hide in shame.
Or 90% of the rest of the cast, for that matter. The only FE8 characters I actually like are Eirika, Tana, and Myrrh. Everyone else is either the equivalent of watching paint dry or I hate them.

Point is: GBA FE sux

That too.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It's not just that, Chloe is the Illya Kerry and Iri sealed off

Right you are!
I almost forgot about that, in all honesty. Whoops! Apologies!

>imgur now requires whitelisting adblock

forget it, imgur.

anyway,

Unbenannt.PNG

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

who is undeservedly worshipped to such a degree by the story all the avatars from modern FE would hide in shame.

Huh.

I honestly don't remember him being worshipped that much, and his arrogance does bite him in the ass

Currently in my CK2 playthrough...

Welp, the Mongols have arrived. I set them to appear randomly, and the RNG decided on the mid 800's. Expected, they're expanding west, and might reach Europe any moment now as they're currently conquering Khazaria, who vassalized Bulgaria when I wasn't looking. Huh.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The question wasn't directed at me, but I like her gentle side and I dont mind that she is very naive either. 

Things like giving the stone to Lyon are in my eyes, something understandable and relatable. 

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The question wasn't directed at me, but I like her gentle side and I dont mind that she is very naive either. 

Things like giving the stone to Lyon are in my eyes, something understandable and relatable. 

I honestly can't understand this. 

Especially when you consider he is the army leader responsible for killing her own father.

Being sympathetic is nice and all, but even that should've limits

Edited by Shrimperor

Especially when you consider he is the army leader responsible for killing your own father.

That's fair, and true.

But that doesnt mean that hate/anger should take over. Trying to help someone I care about, even if they did do something wrong, would be very important to me. 

Not every choice needs to be logical, that's what makes her more human and relatable to me.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Not every choice needs to be logical, that's what makes her more human and relatable to me.

This doesn't have anything to do with logic, imo. Even from emotional stand point, i would be angry af at the one responsible for my father's death.

Sympathy for Traitors is one way to make me hate a character. By far one of my least fav. character Traits, ever

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Caution: the Switch port of this game is supposedly really bad!

F

Especially when you consider he is the army leader responsible for killing her own father.

Being sympathetic is nice and all, but even that should've limits

Because part of her story (when she's the lead at least) is that for most of the game she clings to the idea that Lyon can be saved. That they can purge the Demon King from his body and he'll be back to be the Lyon she and her brother knew. That moment is a turning point since it's when she begins to slowly but surely comes to terms that no, Lyon can't be saved, so the best they can do is kill him if it means stopping the Demon King.

It's the inverse with Ephraim if he's the lead. He refuses to accept Lyon would do all that consciously, so he clings to the idea that he's being possessed. Then in that same moment where it's him to has the stone forced off his hands, that he gets the bombshell of a news that no, Lyon has been doing it on his free will, even if he's still being influenced by the Demon King to a degree. He instead has to comes to terms that yes, Lyon is still there and must be stopped, lest the Demon King's plan come to fruition.