• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I2DDePU.png

Another amazing lvlup to close off the run.

Nice!

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Lost the buff nun in the last map rip.

F

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

92 Turns A-rank. Total result better than original run, but i had a couple B and C ranks later on due to losing units and not having access to both my fliers, which made the maps more tough than expected. Especially the last one without MVP-chan!

Broken record incoming: Congratulations!
F for everyone who didn't make it to the end, though. You will forever be in our memories! *salutes*

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Thanks haha!

^^

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Broken record incoming: Congratulations

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

F for everyone who didn't make it to the end, though. You will forever be in our memories! *salutes*

AYoN.gif

I tried the first Warriors Orochi PSP version, runs surprisingly well, I thought a hack n' slash would have bad performance. The opening sequence was interspersed with frame drops, and there was a short freeze once in a while, but otherwise it's fine.

Because it was the first listed story, I picked the Shu campaign. Zhao Yun gets out of prison with aid from Xing Cai and Yoshihiro Shimazu, plus an unplayable Zuo Ci and Ginchiyo joins up after the escape, you're supposed to ignore Cao Ren and most of the enemies but you do have to defeat Zhang He. I picked the first optional fight and recruited Jiang Wei at the end of it, after bashing Zhang He again and Da Qiao. Second main fight was rescuing Yue Ying, with Magoichi Saika helping you out, but once you've got Yue Ying, Da Ji shows up with massive reinforcements and you have to flee north (or you can turn around and go for Da Ji), cutting through Mitsunari Ishida and then Zhuge Liang. I lost this battle because Yue Ying perished. I think I'll try a different campaign next, maybe Wu.

The flashiness is toned down compared to what I know of DW7 and WO3. The Musou techniques of the Dynasty crew are much closer to the Samurai ones, they're more ordinary and don't suddenly pause the action. Like WO3, it's three characters per mission, divided into several type categories. 

I'm noticing the visual differences between these incarnations of the characters and their later ones. Yoshihiro has no headband, he doesn't look as strong without it. Mitsunari doesn't have that big fluffy pink wig... hair... whatever the Japanese term for it is, thats a great improvement for him. I see Guan Suo was a DW7 addition, because I fought him, and he was a middle-aged man using a pole arm.😄

Did the characters you weren't using have their Life and Musou Gauges replenished in WO3? I don't remember, but here, they replenish really fast, as in "fast enough that I can be fighting an officer, use a character's musou, wait for the recharge and then reuse them on the same officer". I'm playing on Normal, and the enemy officers can rack up the damage on you, I nearly died to Da Qiao, so I guess it evens out. Archer and gunners grunts can be meddlesome pests, and don't bother trying to mount your horse while enemies are on your tail or you're being shot at it, they're bound to knock you off a quarter of a second after you get on. No camera controls is bad when I'm trying to keep an eye on where I knocked a baddy to.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did the characters you weren't using have their Life and Musou Gauges replenished in WO3?

Yep, they do, but it's rather slow, if I remember right.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I see Guan Suo was a DW7 addition, because I fought him, and he was a middle-aged man using a pole arm.😄

I was shocked when I saw Zhou Cang as a generic in WO3U. Then I learned he's a newcomer in DW9.
For the record, I played Warriors All-Stars first, then WO3U, then DW8XL, and DW8E (after which I started reading the RotTK novel), then SWC3, then SW4.
I was quite... chaotic on my musou playing order, as you might be able to tell.

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For the record, I played Warriors All-Stars first, then WO3U, then DW8XL, and DW8E (after which I started reading the RotTK novel), then SWC3, then SW4.
I was quite... chaotic on my musou playing order, as you might be able to tell.

I don't think that kind of chaos is anything unusual for the franchise, it isn't like the older ones are very accessible nowadays. And they don't exactly have to be, each entry does alter the gameplay and tweak the narrative, but it's ultimately the same Three Kingdoms/Sengoku story.

And in case you've never seen it, here is a vid of the game that started it all, DW2, and its first battle, which is, what else could it be, the Yellow Turban Rebellion.:

No wonder China went into decline at this time, it'd pretty easy to hide out in the dense white fog and ambush unsuspecting travelers.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haha, that's always a peculiar feeling.

Has happened to me going from SW 3 to 4, to give an example.

I can imagine it can be quite shocking if some people that were generics in one game suddenly get their own designs and personalities in the next entry.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think that kind of chaos is anything unusual for the franchise, it isn't like the older ones are very accessible nowadays. And they don't exactly have to be, each entry does alter the gameplay and tweak the narrative, but it's ultimately the same Three Kingdoms/Sengoku story.

And in case you've never seen it, here is a vid of the game that started it all, DW2, and its first battle, which is, what else could it be, the Yellow Turban Rebellion.:

No wonder China went into decline at this time, it'd pretty easy to hide out in the dense white fog and ambush unsuspecting travelers.

I see Xiahou Dun's weapon hasn't changed much from how he was here. Although his musou attack here is in his standard kit in 8XL. Very interesting!
And the voice acting sure came a looooong way. XD
Really liking the music, as well. The Yellow Turban Rebellion theme seems to have retained the same basic feeling throughout the series, as far as I can tell (though I have only played DW8XL, I have listened to iterations of the theme from older games).
Thanks for sharing!

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And the voice acting sure came a looooong way. XD

I typed in "Dynasty Warriors bad voice acting", found this montage of cutscenes from DW3.:

You don't know how badly I want to believe the YouTuber edited those voices and that they aren't the real ones.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Tutturu, Draggy!

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I typed in "Dynasty Warriors bad voice acting", found this montage of cutscenes from DW3.:

You don't know how badly I want to believe the YouTuber edited those voices and that they aren't the real ones.

This almost crosses over into "so bad it's good" territory. XD
"YOU FLAMING IDIOTS!!!" is a definite highlight, as is "Cow Cow"... Don't tell me they pronounced Cao Pi... you know...

49 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This almost crosses over into "so bad it's good" territory. XD
"YOU FLAMING IDIOTS!!!" is a definite highlight, as is "Cow Cow"... Don't tell me they pronounced Cao Pi... you know...

Urine luck that Cao Pi wasn't made playable until Dynasty Warriors 5. Though when I glimpsed DW2's Wu Zhang Plains battle, he is a generic officer near Cao Cao there.

And I know you're thinking "Cao Cao at Wu Zhang Plains"? And so are Liu Bei, Dian Wei, and Guan Yu. They didn't have many officers in the very first game. 8 each for Wu and Shu, 7 for Wei, and 5 for the Other grouping. They had to take some liberties to have enough named people show up for the final fight. The "original 28" DW characters are.:

Spoiler

Wei:

1. Cao Cao
  2. Xiahou Dun
  3. Dian Wei
  4. Xu Zhu
  5. Xiahou Yuan
  6. Zhang Liao
  7. Sima Mwahaha

Wu:

1. Sun Jian
  2. Sun Quan
  3. Lu Meng
  4. Gan Ning
  5. Zhou Yu
  6. Sun Shang Xiang
  7. Lu Xun
  8. Taishi Ci

Shu:

1. Zhuge Liang
  2. Guan Yu
  3. Zhang Fei
  4. Zhao Yun
  5. Liu Bei
  6. Huang Zhong
  7. Ma Chao
  8. Jiang Wei

Other:

1. Lu Bu
  2. Diao Chan
  3. Yuan Shao
  4. Dong Zhuo
  5. Zhang Jiao

The bolded names have extra-perfect attendance, showing up as part of the 16 from the prior 3D fighting game Dynasty Warriors. The other two who comprised that 16 were Nobunaga and Hideyoshi (under some other name of his- Toukichi).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Ah yes, that sort of thing is still present in latter games. 8 certainly does it. It becomes very noticeable since it's also next to stages that do have few if any PC's because they're being faithful to their lifespans.

A good example is in the Historical part of Shu's campaign in 8. After Fan Castle, the only PC's present on Wei's side are Jiang Wei (who naturally defects), and Zhang He (who didn't died until 231). By Wu Zhang, however, it's all Jin.

On the other side, Wu's Historical has Hefei Castle with the likes of Li Dian, Wang Yi, Cao Ren, etc. Who by all accounts were all dead by that point.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Are there any games recommendable which are a cross of RPG and visual novel?

Sakura Wars really caught my interest in this genre. Even if a part of the game might be called a "dating simulator", all the characters and dialogues are extremely well written. They can be heartwarming, sad but also cause me some laughs. The gameplay is superfun. It's not even that much of a RPG but rather an action game, maybe a bit similar to Tokyo Xanadu even with platforming elements where masses of enemies have to be destroyed. I don't know if it can be compared with Fire Emblem Warriors since I have no experience with Warriors. Though for someone who has not played these genres, this game is surprisingly fun. I'm really glad that I played Project X Zone because otherwise I never would have been introduced into this series. Unfortunately only one part has made it for the west yet, but still it happened, so there is a good chance to see more releases of this series outside of Japan in the future.

Decided to restart Tokyo Mirage Sessions since it's actually a Shin Megami Tensei I totally forgot. The first boss on easy was by far scarier than the first boss in Persona 5 on normal. Though I rather should compare it to a regular Shin Megami Tensei games which tend to be way harder; at least SMTIV was really hard. Enemies in TMS deal real damage, even on lowest difficulty. Won't be an easy project likely.