• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf, there are a few subjects where memorization is valid. The obvious one is History cause like.....what else do you do lol? History is literally just remembering people, places, events, etc.

😡

HakenOverdrive.gif

You have the audacity to say that when I'm here. I didn't earn my degree in the field based on strict memorization of chronology, I'm terrible with that.

Every field does call for some measure of memorization, you can't engage in evolutionary biology and suddenly forget what DNA is. Application of information matters!

In the case of history, it's how you use that information to construct an argumentative narrative based on reputable evidence of what actually happened in history, and the implications of what it means if your argument is indeed the of truth of what happened. If we're talking the history of Babylon, that doesn't have a real impact on the modern world, but if we're talking American history and say slavery, then yeah, the veracity of the arguments sorta matters.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

😡

HakenOverdrive.gif

You have the audacity to say that when I'm here. I didn't earn my degree in the field based on strict memorization of chronology, I'm terrible with that.

Every field does call for some measure of memorization, you can't engage in evolutionary biology and suddenly forget what DNA is. Application of information matters!

In the case of history, it's how you use that information to construct an argumentative narrative based on reputable evidence of what actually happened in history, and the implications of what it means if your argument is indeed the of truth of what happened. If we're talking the history of Babylon, that doesn't have a real impact on the modern world, but if we're talking American history and say slavery, then yeah, the veracity of the arguments sorta matters.

You make a fair point and i apologize for making light of your degree (if that's what happened).  However, in my defense, most schools only teach about, well, just knowing what happened. Occasionally debates would happen but only at a basic level.

Really, only the Western European History class i took last Fall actually wanted you to apply what you've learned.

Ah, History...

There was that time I was into the Alternate History craze. You can see the evidence in my sig, hahaha... I still need to continue that. Otherwise, how can I have my Pax Mexica in writing if I don't actually write it?

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You make a fair point and i apologize for making light of your degree (if that's what happened).  However, in my defense, most schools only teach about, well, just knowing what happened. Occasionally debates would happen but only at a basic level.

Of course thats what usually happens. Public schools be usually incompetent (unless you have good teachers and or a natural interest in a field- I met both of these criterion) and end up having to save everything to the universities to resolve, if they ever are.

My Master's in World History often required me by the end of the course to write a ~15-page historiography- the history of the study of history. I picked a topic, and then had to dissect, and compare and contrast the different interpretations of history on that topic which have emerged over the years (which meant reading or skimming like ten books and some academic articles per paper which I footnoted to the moon). Unfortunately, I cannot shove any of them in your face, because they're all stuck on my practically-defunct old computer whose hard drive I've yet to extract data from and probably never will b/c laziness. Then again, maybe I could access my old university email and find a copy of my very final exam, half of which discusses the Cold War and its temporal and geopolitical scope.😛

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I love history. I just can’t see myself doing anything with it, really.

I haven't done anything with my degree yet, nothing at all, nor am I currently looking for a job in the presently-downturned economy (yet, I've had years to look). But don't be me, I lack for serious forethought and motivation to be anything in life other than a vaguely-defined modest existence.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

historiography- the history of the study of history.

So TIL this and ngl, it had me thinking about how I didn't think about it before.

Like, I know you can study the history of other subjects. History of math? Sure. History of *insert science*? You've probably been taught at least a little bit of that your whole life. History of art? I took two classes. But studying the history of history, that's a new one for me. I never thought about it before but now that I know, it makes sense that historiography is a thing.

Well, the room below Iago has completely murdered my will to continue with Conquest. I don't even know why. Even with a save state I think about having to deal with that bullcrap and I'd just rather play something else. I'll push myself and finish it, I mean, it's only a few more chapters, but... later.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, the room below Iago has completely murdered my will to continue with Conquest. I don't even know why. Even with a save state I think about having to deal with that bullcrap and I'd just rather play something else. I'll push myself and finish it, I mean, it's only a few more chapters, but... later. 

Yeah that chapter was a pain to get through. 

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

So TIL this and ngl, it had me thinking about how I didn't think about it before.

Like, I know you can study the history of other subjects. History of math? Sure. History of *insert science*? You've probably been taught at least a little bit of that your whole life. History of art? I took two classes. But studying the history of history, that's a new one for me. I never thought about it before but now that I know, it makes sense that historiography is a thing.

Think of it like this, the first draft of history is rarely perfect. Usually, someone needs to come in and proofread for errors later on.

• These can be technical details, like reexamining the number of soldiers brought to a particular battlefield- maybe the one gargantuan loser wasn't so gargantuan after all, and has been left inflated because it made the little guy seem more awesome for the "fact" that they won over the huge numbers.
  • Sometimes, it's adding in new evidence that prior historians didn't have, perhaps some new archaeological finds.
  • Or, it could be factoring in perspectives the prior histories left out of the story, perhaps because bias.
    • Would expect the ancient Greeks to write a reputable biography of the Persian King Xerxes aka "Mr. Thermopylae"? You'd want to look at what he actually did for his country if you wanted a full perspective on the man, not just the handful of foreign invasions he ordered.
    • I'm pretty sure the first generation of American historians didn't concern themselves about the role of women, African property, and native savages in the very first take on US history. Even among the white men, with regards to the American Revolution itself, the first histories were written by mostly New Englanders and hence they largely ignored the happenings of the Revolution outside of it. 
    • History for centuries was traditionally concerned mostly with politics and wars, or "great men". Then in the mid-late 1800s, Marxist history became a thing, which emphasized economics and socio-economic-political systems as the driving force of history, downplaying the importance of individuals as just cogs in the machines.

There are those who reject all historical revisionism as "political correctness", thats the usually the mindset of those of certain conservative viewpoints. However, revisionism in history is not inherently bad, it all ultimately boils down to the strength of one's arguments, revisions backed by strong evidence have reason to be generally accepted.

The Cold War is usually regarded as having three phases of in its American/Western European historiography. To offer a simple breakdown.:

• Phase 1- The Soviet Union started the Cold War, the West was merely defending itself in response to Russian aggression.
  • Phase 2 "The Revisionists"- Came about in the late 1960s and early 1970s, part of the whole counterculture movement on the Left that wanted to defy authority. Threw all the blame on the US & Western Europe as the big evils and claimed the USSR was totally innocent. Not exactly the best revisionist work🤨, but they did have a point.
  • Phase 3- Cold War was inevitable and both sides bear some blame for it. It takes into consideration the contrasting evidence used by the two prior schools of thought.

You don't have to read any of the above.😀

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...It's honestly one of my fav. things in conquest trying to figure out that room...

But i also usually hoard staves for the late game, i needed quite a few freezes and 2 Entraps for that room haha

After that you only have 2 chapters, one of which will take you like 10 Minutes tops

And the other 10 turns tops, but each turn is like a small map xD

Edited by Shrimperor

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You’ll want to make a save state at the prep screen for endgame @Saint Rubenio.

So I've heard.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

After that you only have 2 chapters, one of which will take you like 10 Minutes tops

And the other 10 turns tops, but each turn is like a small map xD

I've heard things about Endgame. I can only hope I enjoy it more than this map. This map that I still haven't completed because I really don't feel like going back to that.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've heard things about Endgame. I can only hope I enjoy it more than this map. This map that I still haven't completed because I really don't feel like going back to that.

You aren't doing Lunatic, which should be ok.

In Lunatic Endgame has debuff staffers  with 10 range and unlimited use. Did i mention that the debuff stack? Because they do!

It was one of my hardest FE challenges ever trying to do it without rescue skipping

Edited by Shrimperor

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It’s enjoyable as long as you don’t redo the prior chapter every reset.