• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Genealogy spoilers. You have been warned. This is more for Ruben's benefit than anything, but just in case, I'll tag it.

Spoiler

Good old BBQ memes.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

That said, I'm gonna skip the Final Fantasy game they made because I do not care lol.

The Last Story do you mean? Because Mistwalker made that, it has nothing to do with Monolith Soft. The "Operation Rainfall" thing from many suns ago lumped the game in there with Xenoblade Chronicles 1, as was Pandora's Tower, but the clumping of these three into one petty cause was solely because of European release without one in North America, that is the only thing they have in common.

I have the Last Story, finished it long ago. It's quite different from Xenoblade, British voice acting aside (one voice actress later got a job on Doctor Who IIRC). The entire game takes place on one island for instance. Overall:

• Alright love story (I'm not big on these at all). A cliched sweet princess and the gentle-hearted young mercenary who falls in love with her.
  • Main crew was likable, though not oozing with development.
  • Visuals were fine.
  • Music was average, forgotten entirely now by me except for the first few notes of the opening theme.
  • The bad guy Zangurak is literally Ape Ganondorf, and about as simplistic as Gdorf. Not good for the ordinary plot.
  • Arrogant young nobleman who goes batshit insane out of envy towards the main character is funny.
  • The game technically strained like it was 18-hours constipated under the Wii's limited processing power a few times.
  • The combat and general gameplay was... experimental. Boy does it need a sequel to smooth out all the unrefined ideas.

It was an okay experience overall, but Xenoblade was better. I'd consider buying a spiritual sequel if it polished the gameplay diamond, but clearly that hasn't and likely will never happen. Oh well.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh wow, young Travant has the most glorious hair.

And a sultry national anthem.😋 If Genealogy's soundtrack caught on fire, no second thoughts, it'd be what I'd rescue from the flames.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Diving suit.

Just not the XCX one! The men got an actual diving suit, and the females got... a second bikini with less fabric in spots and more in others. The diving wear is arguably more exposed than the swimwear. 

And as a random XCX thing I didn't realize until a just short bit ago stumbling on it online:

Spoiler

4mTqgXE.jpg

Didn't realize I got a special toy-like sword from one quest. The name is too much po.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not to mention, hardly unique. Genealogy was following the footsteps of other SNES games with unthinkable-at-the-time plot twists.

Like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI.

Manfroy's claim to fame is very similar to Kefka's (who did come two years earlier)- a villain who "won" for a while. Whilst not as brilliant at bringing forth his victory as Manfroy, Kefka's post-victory is better written, referring to his sense of boredom and ennui with godhood and the meaning of life.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gen 1's ending has been memed to hell and back. If you're a Fire Emblem fan and you don't know, you've been living under a rock tbh.

Living under a rock gang.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Last Story do you mean? Because Mistwalker made that, it has nothing to do with Monolith Soft. The "Operation Rainfall" thing from many suns ago lumped the game in there with Xenoblade Chronicles 1, as was Pandora's Tower, but the clumping of these three into one petty cause was solely because of European release without one in North America, that is the only thing they have in common.

Actually no, i was thinking of Dirge of Cerberus which is listed in Monolith Soft's resume. But upon more research, this is more along the lines of stuff like Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing and Smash where they simply helped on the project as opposed to it being something they directly made.

So the actual playlist would be

• Xeno series (which i've already done, although i can safely skip Xenosaga Freaks, the DS remakes and Pied Piper, the last one on account that it is actually impossible to play)
  • Baten Kaitos series
  • Namco x Capcom
  • Soma Bringer
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Endless Frontier duology
  • Licensed Dragon Ball RPG lol. I'm skipping that.
  • Project X Zone although that's an SRPG that has dynamic turn order, i really don't feel like playing that.
    • Project X Zone 2 does not have that though and fans i know of tell me to just avoid playing the first game. And of all these games, i probably will actually have to buy PXZ2.

(one voice actress later got a job on Doctor Who IIRC)

Melia's VA Jenna Coleman? Or are you referring to someone from The Last Story?

Didn't realize I got a special toy-like sword from one quest. The name is too much po.

Doesn't seem that bad of a weapon either.

That reminds me, i never did complete the Legendary Nopon questline. I just randomly stumble across them.

I do wish quests were actually marked on the map, makes it easier to find the remaining ones when you've done most of them.

Edited by Armagon

Hmm. I guess your dialogue choices effect enough to actually matter in Triangle Strategy *cough* Three Houses *cough*, I’m replaying and I’ve only picked different dialogue choices (I haven’t picked my second chapter yet) but this Julio guy wants to join me instead of the lightning mage from before.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

I figure most already know. Just being stupid cautious in case anyone doesn't.

If it wasn’t obvious by what I said, I don’t.

But I also don’t read most genealogy discussion and plan to play it one day so...

I’ll say, I actually like Julio more. He has as reason for joining beyond just “oh hey main character who’s in this village for no reason, I can do a cool thing, can I fight with you?”, and I actually believe in his “strong convictions” considering why he’s here. His class also seems  quite interesting (I haven’t gotten to the second battle yet). He actually joins before the voting but he doesn’t weigh in for whatever reason. I’m guessing my high star this time is morality since that seems to be what drives him (which is good, always hold true to morality (although I wonder what I got actually picking the things I would have said... maybe that lady was utility? She really was just kinda there).

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, not necessarily. Could be like some other problem showed up and now both gens team up. But of course, the truth was...

There is little point to introduce a new generation of scrubs halfway through the story when the old and much more established and capable generation is still around.

Just now, BrightBow said:

There is little point to introduce a new generation of scrubs halfway through the story when the old and much more established and capable generation is still around.

There can be, if done well enough.

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I figure most already know. Just being stupid cautious in case anyone doesn't.

Bro, nobody spoiling anything about TH ruined the game for me...

For it's worth, I like it that FFIVTAY managed to do that decent enough. Sure, that's two different games, but still... the concept of new and old joining up is done well enough, that's what I mean.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I mean, the very first trailer of 3 Houses was entirely dedicated to Edelgard swooning over "teacher". It was very obvious that it was just going to be another God Emperor avatar-kun brownnosing competition. But now with more student grooming.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Melia's VA Jenna Coleman? Or are you referring to someone from The Last Story?

The Last Story I meant, the voice actress of the character Mirania I think. It's so long ago I don't remember.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So the actual playlist would be

• Xeno series (which i've already done, although i can safely skip Xenosaga Freaks, the DS remakes and Pied Piper, the last one on account that it is actually impossible to play)
  • Baten Kaitos series
  • Namco x Capcom
  • Soma Bringer
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis
  • Endless Frontier duology
  • Licensed Dragon Ball RPG lol. I'm skipping that.
  • Project X Zone although that's an SRPG that has dynamic turn order, i really don't feel like playing that.
    • Project X Zone 2 does not have that though and fans i know of tell me to just avoid playing the first game. And of all these games, i probably will actually have to buy PXZ2.

I'm not sure if NxC is the same on the turn order matter. I haven't played the game nor watched videos of it, due to me wanting to play it eventually. The Wikipedia article on the game says this:

"The game's turn-based battles play out in a grid-based arena from an overhead perspective; each unit on both sides has their turn placed according to their current AP. Any character with ten AP can move and perform actions, with AP being recovered by doing little or nothing for each turn."

And looking at an online guide on a certain website to NxC:

AP/Active Point: This is basically Action Point you have, that maxes out at 10
                 and it is required to do all sorts of things. Defeating the
                 enemies or doing Defense Extra can regain you APs
Action Order: Order for each unit when their actions begin to be possible, and
              ones with higher APs can move faster/earlier. If there are units
              with same AP, such as 10, then it will depends on the stats "
              Speed" to determine the order

Maybe you'd personally want to skip it then.😐 No matter, eventually I'll screenshot every single image of the featured XS trio for you.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I do wish quests were actually marked on the map, makes it easier to find the remaining ones when you've done most of them.

Well, the symbol in each hex tells you what kind of thing fills it in, does it not? For NLA, if you see a sheet of paper as the icon, it means a non-Affinity mission should start and end in that hex. Holding hands = Affinity Mission.