Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

With all the scalping going on I don't blame you saying that. 😛

Oh.

Holy shit it was released last year.

...Well, that's what happens when you talk out of your ass even though you don't follow the news about the Playstation.

Damn, that was an embarrassing blunder...

Still, my point stands. They're just trying to tempt FF7 fans into not just double-dipping, but double-dipping on an entirely different system. Hundreds of dollars for the new content. Absolutely terrible.

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

This is a pretty rambly piece and it's not even disagreeing with you. I just feel like the PC market is not necessarily immune to a consolidation/gating off .

I didn't say that. I just feel PC, due to the way it is, is slightly less prone to this particular kind of crap. Your points are all valid, but at the very least, if someone just wants to make a nice little indie game and release it, they can without much in the way of hassle or restrictions; and if you want to play an older PC game the only issue would be software incompatibility, which is pretty much unavoidable and can be fixed with a VM or something like that (not to mention modding is far easier and more convenient in PC, where you don't have to perform necromancy to even make it possible to mod stuff).

It's advantages like these that make me rather disdainful of consoles. The only reason I even own Nintendo systems is because they maintain an iron grip on their games. Consoles are at the complete mercy of their owner companies. That is not to say that PC is completely free, I mean, as you said, platforms like Steam are pretty huge; but if one doesn't like Steam one can always go to another of the platforms without having to buy a different kind of PC. It makes them have to at least make a token effort to appear not to be the worst pieces of shit in the world. If you like Nintendo's games but don't like Nintendo, there's virtually nothing you can do.

I hope I explained myself properly. I'm no economics expert. I'm not trying to shame anyone for playing on / liking consoles, just sharing my own perspective.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 hours ago, Benice said:

Speaking of, why do some people dislike KH 3? The review I saw of it was really positive, but did mention that a lot of people hated it.

The gameplay dropped a massive bomb on the difficulty by making the fights chores rather than fun like previous games. 

The story was already explained, although most dont even play KH for the story, they olay solely for the gameplay.

I only play III for the gameplay, which after an update, was massively improved by adding some very good combo modifiers for you to use. (His basic combo couldn't link properly in the beggining) and the DLC only made it better by catering to the fans and releasing a serious difficulty boss gauntlet.

Also keep in mind i'm a very harsh critic on most DLC, so for me to put in so many good words says to how damn good it was! (Unlike the trash that 3H put out fo us.)

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The story was already explained, although most dont even play KH for the story, they olay solely for the gameplay.

Wait, what? Really? Why would anyone not play Kingdom Hearts for its riveting, powerful, deep storyline?

...Seriously though, that's about all I know about KH, and frankly, I think it's all I need to know.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, what? Really? Why would anyone not play Kingdom Hearts for its riveting, powerful, deep storyline?

...Seriously though, that's about all I know about KH, and frankly, I think it's all I need to know.

Well, the story is a mess, at the least!

KH3 was a dissapointment to me, sure, but i poured over hundreds over hours into the DLC, which is more than my main file. Doesn't that speak for itself? 

And i'm not alone there, many have, it's just that good. (See my sig for my KH game ratings)

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hope I explained myself properly. I'm no economics expert. I'm not trying to shame anyone for playing on / liking consoles, just sharing my own perspective.

I mean, I grew up with two things things on PC (3 counting Lego Loco): AoE2 and The Sims. Not exactly titles that were designed for console play. I wouldn't be surprised to see that that mental divide still exists for me. I tolerate keyboard for games using controllers in emulators, but I'll confess it's kind of a barrier to me now when it comes to PC gaming (not to mention it's part of the reason my last laptop's keys got demolished.). And, looking to the future then there's emulation for consoles with specific bits like the PS4 controller, which I wonder how well the touchpad will replace the pad on the PS4 in terms of execution. What I'm saying is I've been trying to look into getting a controller, but it's not working out as I'd have liked.

Modding's the sole reason I won't consider getting Rivals of Aether on Switch, among other titles. I mean, modding on consoles seems like a very limited thing anyway and I don't treat it as a detraction for consoles, but yeah.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If you like Nintendo's games but don't like Nintendo, there's virtually nothing you can do.

I mean, there is something you can do.

🏴‍☠️ intensifies

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's advantages like these that make me rather disdainful of consoles. The only reason I even own Nintendo systems is because they maintain an iron grip on their games. Consoles are at the complete mercy of their owner companies. That is not to say that PC is completely free, I mean, as you said, platforms like Steam are pretty huge; but if one doesn't like Steam one can always go to another of the platforms without having to buy a different kind of PC. It makes them have to at least make a token effort to appear not to be the worst pieces of shit in the world. If you like Nintendo's games but don't like Nintendo, there's virtually nothing you can do.

Counterpoint tho: consoles are far more accessible, that's why they still have such a big presence on the market. The thing about PCs is that the entry price for gaming is high. Yeah, was with a low-end PC, you can emulate tons of old games, play some low-end games, etc but if you want to play bigger games, lol. Like for me, I'd like to play NieR Automata but I'm pretty sure my PC will combust if I try.

Good gaming PCs are at least $1000 and that's pre-built.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's been 10 years to the day since the 3DS first released. Nintendo's last pure portable, hard to believe so much time has passed.

*Aging.gif*

Lots of good memories on that.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's been 10 years to the day since the 3DS first released. Nintendo's last pure portable, hard to believe so much time has passed.

Wild to think I only really got into its library last year. Introduced me to FE and Rune Factory. Good times.

Morning everyone.

( ^_^)/

41 minutes ago, Dayni said:

What I'm saying is I've been trying to look into getting a controller, but it's not working out as I'd have liked.

Is it really so difficult? I mean, when I need a controller I just use my Switch pro controller. Works like a charm.

42 minutes ago, Dayni said:

🏴‍☠️ intensifies

Hahahahaha... Yes, I suppose that is true. If only it was possible to pirate good online servers into Nintendo. You think they just feel bad about laying off the hamster after all these years of dutifully running in the wheel?

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Counterpoint tho: consoles are far more accessible, that's why they still have such a big presence on the market. The thing about PCs is that the entry price for gaming is high. Yeah, was with a low-end PC, you can emulate tons of old games, play some low-end games, etc but if you want to play bigger games, lol. Like for me, I'd like to play NieR Automata but I'm pretty sure my PC will combust if I try.

Good gaming PCs are at least $1000 and that's pre-built.

That's a fair point. I must admit that I don't play high-end games all that often, so it's not so big an issue for me. That being said, as @lightcosmo said, a good computer can be used for more than just gaming, it's a fair investment to make. Plus, Sony and Microsoft games are often available on PC. Indie games are almost always PC first. Then there's emulation, as you said. A good PC opens up many more options for games than any one console possibly could. On my last computer I played hundreds of games, and I also used it for my studies as well as plenty of other things. My Switch, I've used for like 12 games, and that makes it the console that I've used the most in my life. I just don't feel that consoles are all that great of an investment, personally.

Still, like I said, I don't mean to imply that console players are wrong or foolish or anything like that. This is merely my own perspective.

16 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Wild to think I only really got into its library last year. Introduced me to FE and Rune Factory. Good times.

I have a first-edition 3DS. I remember I had some good times with it.

Nowadays, I have to wonder how exactly I could endure that tiny screen for some long. Goodness, it hurts to look at.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

You lot talking about aging makes me feel like a boomer...

Well, i probably am to this thread...

But you're not the one who's so out of the loop he missed the PS5's release in November last year.

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Good gaming PCs also go a long way for other things as well, though. So they are an investment.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

a good computer can be used for more than just gaming, it's a fair investment to make.

That is true but if you need PCs for non-gaming purposes, you usually just end up getting something cheap on the low-end. Unless you're job is heavy video editing and you need a system that can export quickly.

That's just the way I see it at least. I know a few people who have gaming PCs end up getting Chromebooks for more productive work because well, you can't exactly take your gaming rig to the library.

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nowadays, I have to wonder how exactly I could endure that tiny screen for some long. Goodness, it hurts to look at.

Same. When I upgraded to New 3DS XL, I could never look at the OG 3DS the same way ever again.

This is a very easy game of "spot the American". Hint: it's the people who think multigenerational homes are lame.

(Of course, capitalism isn't necessarily the cause but that's beside the point).

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That is true but if you need PCs for non-gaming purposes, you usually just end up getting something cheap on the low-end. Unless you're job is heavy video editing and you need a system that can export quickly.

That's just the way I see it at least. I know a few people who have gaming PCs end up getting Chromebooks for more productive work because well, you can't exactly take your gaming rig to the library.

Well I do heavy modding on tons of games for mine, so it was worth the money. That and playing alot of high spec games. 

I suppose you have a point, though.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

hat is true but if you need PCs for non-gaming purposes, you usually just end up getting something cheap on the low-end

*laughs in Simulations*

Believe me, unless you want your simulations to run forever, you need a good PC.

After i got mine, Simulations took around 70% less then they used to on my old laptop

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*laughs in Simulations*

Believe me, unless you want your simulations to run forever, you need a good PC.

After i got mine, Simulations took around 70% less then they used to on my old laptop

I mentioned heavy video editing as an example but yeah, there are jobs where you'll need a good high end PC.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is a very easy game of "spot the American".

Hahaha, yes that’s right. And I’m still afraid of my life becoming the one on the left.

I will say, after a certain age you just need your space, ya know?

I have a super positive relationship with my parents, but when i visit them i just sometimes wish to be alone xD

They would've nothing against moving in with them, infact i know they would welcome it, but if i ever decide to do it, it will be more like 'near' them (same house) and not with them.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is a very easy game of "spot the American". Hint: it's the people who think multigenerational homes are lame.

(Of course, capitalism isn't necessarily the cause but that's beside the point).

It's really dependent on the person, but somewhere in the middle is the best outcome, I'd say.