Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I might try out TearRing Saga in the future. I

Bro, who's holding your family hostage?!

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Why would i try out TearRing Saga? Because it's the only Kaga game i haven't played and i need to see if Kaga peaked with Mystery of the Emblem what my opinions on it would be.

It's relatively ordinary, some questionable map design, some Kaga characterization/plot shenanigans, and plenty o' stuff you can miss on the first playthrough if blind. Mostly because you'll have no idea in advance where to send certain characters during the first two route splits. Enemy stats aren't very high most of the time, they lean too low if anything, so blind should be bearable. Status staffs don't exist.

Route splits in this game BTW differ from what you said of VS, you can pick mostly who goes where in TRS. Although the game doesn't tell you Mel will always go with Roger, so don't try separating those two.

If you've any questions, I've completed the game almost twice (with an itch for a third at some point). I don't love the game myself, but it ain't terrible.

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But i wanna make more progress in Baten Kaitos and Ys Origin (which i've resumed) first.

Speaking of Ys, I see NISA is doing another sale on the eShop right now if Ys VIII would interest you there. 

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

image_2021-03-02_205614.png?width=769&he

Oh, it's you.

@Interdimensional Observer just to be sure, doing these super special attacks is completely random, right? There aren't any specific conditions, it's just the game allowing me to do it whenever it feels like it?

I AM DARKNESS... DISPELLER OF LIGHT!  ...DEMONS OF DARKNESS!

Sorry, it's so old memey and in my bones.

And yeah, Spirit Attacks are totally random. I think it's implied your answers to questions posed by Kalas affect the chances, but I have no idea how.

Because Spirit Attacks are rare and cool IMO, if I get one against normal enemies, I'll use it. If I'm fighting a boss however and it'd ruin a Spirit Combo, I won't, because I'd think the Spirit Combo would amount to more damage, especially if the Spirit Attack was a poor choice of element against the current enemy.

Although it isn't relevant whatsoever right now, Spirit Attacks were done away with in Origins. Instead, Sagi's Guardian Spirit changes the next card placed into your hand into one you likely want at the current moment, like a Potion if someone is low on HP -provided you have one of those cards in your deck.

And because you're at the Ancient Library of Magic right now, Peaches drop a lot here. After 80 IRL hours, you'll find the Peaches will have aged into the best healing item in the game bar none. The Ancient Library of Magic overall has great Magnus drops.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Since Paper Mario is also by IS...

I'll third this. I don't adore the spritework of any particular old FE, but with modern 2D capable of being very aesthetically beautiful and detailed, and FE in no way requiring 3D for its gameplay, I think it'd be fine if it went back to that. I doubt it would, because 3D is the only realm for AAA games, 2D is sadly deemed the realm of the less moneyed.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Bro, who's holding your family hostage?!

I did say might.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and plenty o' stuff you can miss on the first playthrough if blind.

This is just for items right? Or are there certain characters i can just never see because i didn't do specific thing?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Status staffs don't exist.

LeaHappy.png

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of Ys, I see NISA is doing another sale on the eShop right now if Ys VIII would interest you there. 

I still need to finish Origin and then also Ys 7. Don't want to add another Ys game to the backlog when i have yet to beat any of them.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Ancient Library of Magic overall has great Magnus drops.

I guess that makes up for this area sucking.

Out of all the areas i've been to, the library is definitely my least favorite so far. Doesn't help that the music for this place is awful, if you can even call it music.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

This is just for items right? Or are there certain characters i can just never see because i didn't do specific thing?

There's a LOT of stuff you can miss-for example, I think the dancer is acquired through a series of odd events.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

There's a LOT of stuff you can miss-for example, I think the dancer is acquired through a series of odd events.

"Odd" indeed...

It's more or less a repeat of Lara's, so... not much new for Kaga, actually. Except not as background stuff.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh i'm aware of this one. 

Well yeah, but IIRC there's a lot of those- such as if you choose the garbo earlygame archer over the best unit in the game or a few other decent units, (Spoilered in case you wanna be 100% blind, but I doubt that you'll choose the archer)

Spoiler

There's a unit who cannot kill humans...Unless you choose to spare an enemy soldier in one of the maps, in which case the soldier kills Bad Earlygame Archer. In exchange for that, that unit can now kill humans for the rest of the game!

tl;dr I think there's basically events for everything, and from what I know, there are so many that you'll find 'em even if you're playing blind.

Edited by Benice

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Let me think...

• Leteena is nearly impossible blind. Fortunately, you get substitute character if you miss her, they're both staffbots, so it doesn't matter too much.
  • One character gets a special promotion if you don't send them the right way on the first split and have them talk to the right person on a certain map.
  • Speaking of which, the same map as the above have a character who requires you play the map slowly to get. And said character recruits another character (one of the absolute worst) much much later.
  • Visiting a house in an early chapter with a specific character is required for recruiting four characters. Two of whom don't show up until Chapter 23. The first of these characters provides the special promotion item for a very weak character.
  • One character might be easily missable if you don't pay attention to geography being mentioned.
  • One character is a huge chore to keep alive, but they're not worth it really, so it's no big loss.
  • One character will go missing for a couple lategame maps, when they show up again, you need a specific character on that side of the final route split to rerecruit them.

Thats most of the character oddities. A few "start the map and then reset b/c the game doesn't hint at who you should bring until a few turns in" exist as well, as they have in a number of other FEs (i.e. how I am supposed to know I need Lilina for this "Gonzales" guy?).

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess that makes up for this area sucking.

Out of all the areas i've been to, the library is definitely my least favorite so far. Doesn't help that the music for this place is awful, if you can even call it music.

Finding the keys is proving a chore? Are the books you're reading bite too much? 

As for the music, ah yes, Decay. I don't think it's 100% horrendous, it creates a basic horror atmosphere with clear notes. Although it is generic, and there isn't a satisfactory buildup to anything, it is sounds that haven't been properly strung together into actual music. I can hear that major issue. Let's call it a 2.5/10. Nonetheless, for the coward I am was at the time, it made me sufficiently not like the place and hope to leap into battle.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(i.e. how I am supposed to know I need Lilina for this "Gonzales" guy?).

With lots-of/a-few mental gymnastics.

Binding Blade emulates Archanea to a degree. Lilina is Caeda's counterpart, who in her (first) game could recruit seemingly random people. If anything it's worth the attempt. Though yeah, still need to field her and if you didn't, that's a reset.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Oh that's right, this is a boss theme. It feels so out of place compared to the rest of the soundtrack and i love it.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

One character might be easily missable if you don't pay attention to geography being mentioned.

This sounds like a Stefan situation, except you're somewhat told about it.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Let me think...

• Leteena is nearly impossible blind. Fortunately, you get substitute character if you miss her, they're both staffbots, so it doesn't matter too much.
  • One character gets a special promotion if you don't send them the right way on the first split and have them talk to the right person on a certain map.
  • Speaking of which, the same map as the above have a character who requires you play the map slowly to get. And said character recruits another character (one of the absolute worst) much much later.
  • Visiting a house in an early chapter with a specific character is required for recruiting four characters. Two of whom don't show up until Chapter 23. The first of these characters provides the special promotion item for a very weak character.
  • One character might be easily missable if you don't pay attention to geography being mentioned.
  • One character is a huge chore to keep alive, but they're not worth it really, so it's no big loss.
  • One character will go missing for a couple lategame maps, when they show up again, you need a specific character on that side of the final route split to rerecruit them

So it definitely sounds like i'll have to keep a recruitment guide tab open. 

What is it with Kaga and weird recruitments (although this mainly applies to the Sagas) anyway?

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are the books you're reading bite too much?

Yeah.

I think this is the point in the game where not having a dedicated escape button might become a problem. I don't know why they limit it to a specific item. Xenosaga Episode I did the same thing, thankfully they gave you an escape command in Episodes II and III.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think this is the point in the game where not having a dedicated escape button might become a problem. I don't know why they limit it to a specific item. Xenosaga Episode I did the same thing, thankfully they gave you an escape command in Episodes II and III.

Wait... did you just praise Xenosaga II? What's the world coming to...?

Another thing about TRS, dont be afraid to use PRF weapons, they are totally bonkers in that game and save you alot of headaches. Such as being simply unable to ever be killed, that one is especially nice for saving headaches or when you make a mistake and you need to save someone. 

13 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait... did you just praise Xenosaga II? What's the world coming to...?

No because Xenosaga III also did it.

Checkmate.

So it definitely sounds like i'll have to keep a recruitment guide tab open. 

What is it with Kaga and weird recruitments (although this mainly applies to the Sagas) anyway?

I haven't a clue. It's a sea change from the way FE is presently going, what with everyone coming early and on a silver platter.

My main qualm with TRS's recruitment issues, is that it's possible to be stuck with only three staffbots (Enteh, Katri, and Rebecca is pretty impossible to miss). Mages don't get Staffs when they promote to Sages in TRS, so between that, things being on two routes most of the time, and an absence of Fortify, that could be very restrictive on the healing. Although maybe I'm treating blind players as too dumb and they wouldn't actually miss Plum.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This sounds like a Stefan situation, except you're somewhat told about it.

Well no, not that, I meant you're told "There is a nice person I'd want to go with you, but they aren't back yet". You aren't really told who that person is, the clue being in a character's title -displayed alongside their name- and the location of the chapter. It's not obvious enough that I could see them being 100% unmissable.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can obtain more escape items later, although it's not something that you'd very readily stumble on. Jill's Jewelry Boxes can be farmed in the -temporary- dungeon where I got softlocked many years ago. Let them age 5 hours IRL and Jill's Jewelry Box goes from this:

BKEW_Magnus_807.png

into this:

Spoiler

BKEW_Magnus_808.png

A Jack in the Box. Which can be used in battle to escape, because of how freaky it looks apparently.

Although these Magnus were actually redrawn, in the Japanese version, they were these:

BKEW_JP_Magnus_807.pngBKEW_JP_Magnus_808.png

Google Translate ain't helping me with what these are. Incense burners?

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh that's right, this is a boss theme. It feels so out of place compared to the rest of the soundtrack and i love it.

Same, Chaotic Dance is great! I like to pretend Folon is saying all the nonsense, his hair and complexion are strange, so it matches the weirdness of the "words".

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I guess I’ll finish the game tomorrow, as chapter 10 took forever.

Good Luck, and have fun with this game's end.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I might try out TearRing Saga in the future. I do have a free slot to play it (three game rule) and i know i can run it because i was able to run Xenogears just fine on a PC worse than what i currently own. But i wanna make more progress in Baten Kaitos and Ys Origin (which i've resumed) first. 

Why would i try out TearRing Saga? Because it's the only Kaga game i haven't played and i need to see if Kaga peaked with Mystery of the Emblem what my opinions on it would be.

Have fun, its an interesting, but underappreciated game.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you've any questions, I've completed the game almost twice (with an itch for a third at some point). I don't love the game myself, but it ain't terrible.

I could go for a second TearRing Saga run as well. Its been a while...and who knows, maybe playing TearRing Saga will become this trend's next trend...

So many things to do, so little time... really wish I could simply ask for any extra hours I do to be simply on the weekends than added to an already long workday...

You know, in a game where you can't escape from battles without the use of specific items, giving certain enemies the ability to revive other enemies with full(?) health is a bullshit move.

Anyways

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

New party member. And i'll end the play session here.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My main qualm with TRS's recruitment issues, is that it's possible to be stuck with only three staffbots (Enteh, Katri, and Rebecca is pretty impossible to miss). Mages don't get Staffs when they promote to Sages in TRS, so between that, things being on two routes most of the time, and an absence of Fortify, that could be very restrictive on the healing. Although maybe I'm treating blind players as too dumb and they wouldn't actually miss Plum.

Oh don't worry.

In my first run of Awakening and Blazing Blade, the first two FE games i ever played, i thought that staffbots were nothing but a waste of a slot so i made do with healing items.

Well no, not that, I meant you're told "There is a nice person I'd want to go with you, but they aren't back yet". You aren't really told who that person is, the clue being in a character's title -displayed alongside their name- and the location of the chapter. It's not obvious enough that I could see them being 100% unmissable.

That's still more information than Stefan's "bring a specific unit to this specific tile in a desert to get a unit who can solo the game" that the game doesn't tell you at all about. Twice.

Although these Magnus were actually redrawn, in the Japanese version, they were these:

BKEW_JP_Magnus_807.pngBKEW_JP_Magnus_808.png

Google Translate ain't helping me with what these are. Incense burners?

Looks like it. Might see these in temples, i think. At least it wouldn't be out of place.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Have fun, its an interesting, but underappreciated game.

Well i haven't actually decided if i'm going to play it yet but thanks anyway.

I make fun of Kaga all the time but i never go into games thinking it's gonna suck. Unless it's like....Yiik: A Post-Modern RPG.

That's still more information than Stefan's "bring a specific unit to this specific tile in a desert to get a unit who can solo the game" that the game doesn't tell you at all about. Twice.

How about the Leteena event, which requires you to:

Spoiler
  1. After Map 8, put both Kreiss and Arkis in Holmes's army.
  2. After Map 10, in Holmes's route, go back to Wellt Castle and select Ezekiel (alternatively, the player can select him before Map 2). Note that Sasha (recommended), Kate, Roger, Raffin, Estelle, or Norton must be in Holmes's army.
  3. Go to Verge (the town between Maps 1 and 2). An event will occur.
  4. After Map 13 but before Map 14, visit Marl Harbor and watch the cutscene. Afterwards, go back and visit Verge again. Make sure Kreiss has an Healing Drop in his inventory.
  5. After Map 15 but before Map 16, head back to Verge. This time, make sure Kreiss has an Amulet in his inventory.
  6. After Map 19, go back to Verge.
  7. After Map 23, put Kreiss in Runan's army.
  8. In Map 25, the Leteena Event will occur in the lower right house between Leteena and Marco, one of the Dragon Knights. Make Kreiss defeat Marco, and then visit this house. Afterwards, Leteena will join instead of Rebecca.
  9. After the third route split up, an event will occur between Kreiss and Leteena.
  10. From here, the player will have two options, either A) Leteena will leave, or B) both Leteena and Kreiss will leave, unless Ezekiel is recruited.

Note that Ezekiel needs to be chosen as a playable over not only the best unit in the game, but a few other viable ones, such as Lee.

(btw, people are not memeing when they say that Narron is the best unit in the game. He legitimately is.)

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Note that Ezekiel needs to be chosen as a playable over not only the best unit in the game, but a few other viable ones, such as Lee.

(btw, people are not memeing when they say that Narron is the best unit in the game. He legitimately is.)

Spoiler

You get two of those units, so you can still get both Narron and Ezekiel, plus there is the work around that involves having her dead during the event where she leaves, and then reviving her after to not need Ezekiel at all...

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:
  Hide contents

You get two of those units, so you can still get both Narron and Ezekiel, plus there is the work around that involves having her dead during the event where she leaves, and then reviving her after to not need Ezekiel at all...

Still, it is exceedingly elaborate.

Not that I necessarily mind, I just know that a lot of people would.

Edited by Benice