Heed His wisdom

for He will protect you from evil

Whisper His prayers with devotion,

for they will save your soul

Honour His servants,

for they speak in His voice

Tremble before His majesty,

for we all walk in His immortal shadow.

For we all are in the shadow of his pillars.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I feel personally called out.

You like Zero-suit Samus and Bayonetta?

Well, they could beat you up...

The Rathalos armor was rather nice. It's one of the few costumes that actually has a different sword trail from other weapons.

In fact, the only other swordfighter costume I can think of which does that is the Black Knight one. I wish they would add such small touches more often.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

>Pulls up a pair of chairs

>Sits down with a notepad and pen

What makes you feel this way, hm? Do you feel a sense of contention that characters in a fighting game with a broad base and an unset aesthetic are being picked over others? Do you-

>Incineroar sits outside the window

BAD KITTY! BAD! YOU KNOW WHY I DISAGREE WITH YOU!

The thing that makes me tolerate Incineroar is just how easy he is gimped. Always feels satisfying.

Ultra Sun & Moon sucked for plenty of reasons, but Torracat turning from a speedy glasscannon into a slow and fragile guy in a fursuit has to deserve a honorable mention.
Doesn't even increase it's special attack. It just gets slower but stays just as fragile.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

You like Zero-suit Samus and Bayonetta?

Well, they could beat you up...

No, that's not-- that's not what I meant! I've been complaining about those two and their iffy outfits, and now Shrimpy comes with that video and it hits me how stupid it sounds when this is the same game that has Palutena poledancing.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

>Pulls up a pair of chairs

>Sits down with a notepad and pen

What makes you feel this way, hm? Do you feel a sense of contention that characters in a fighting game with a broad base and an unset aesthetic are being picked over others? Do you-

I just like fictional women best when their creators don't punch holes in their clothes so I can see their skin. Is that so much to ask?

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

>Incineroar sits outside the window

BAD KITTY! BAD! YOU KNOW WHY I DISAGREE WITH YOU!

Excuse me, I'll just... Take that off your hands...

Takes the pen and notepad

Your turn. What's your problem with the fire ape?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, that's not-- that's not what I meant! I've been complaining about those two and their iffy outfits, and now Shrimpy comes with that video and it hits me how stupid it sounds when this is the same game that has Palutena poledancing.

Shhh it’s okay. This is a judgement free zone...

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fire ape? No! Infernape is great!

It's meant to be a kitten.

Poor Torracat. You were so good until your evolution resulted in you getting one-shot by every Pokemon with Brick Break, which were virtually all of them.

Edited by BrightBow

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

because decidueye is better?

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Excuse me, I'll just... Take that off your hands...

Takes the pen and notepad

See what Brightbow said, Incineroar's one of the worst pokemon designs to me, it's like they took two different furry action figures and plonked the limbs from one onto the torso of the other, not to mention the fact it took a potential quadruped Fire starter away from us again and had such a fighting centric feel that the idea they changed it's type to Dark to avoid backlash is very understandable.

And then they kept pushing it prominently to the point it ended up in Smash.

And Sooks was telling you it is not ape based at all. It is not. It is kitty litter of cat designs.

I just like fictional women best when their creators don't punch holes in their clothes so I can see their skin. Is that so much to ask?

I'll take my pen and pad back there.

There's a point I could get into about how these characters' clothes are designed, but I'd feel like we'd go spinning off there and I'd rather not.

Hmm.

One has to wonder sometimes why these things occur. This game did end up 12s in the EU, so some could claim it wasn't as much of a bother what they did put in. But then again these characters you mention did get extra clothing despite the age rating being the same. Do you feel like it's more of an issue for characters from RPGs to be so when you wish for this genre to be less.... showy?

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's meant to be a kitten.

Poor Torracat. You were so good until your evolution resulted in you getting one-shot by every Pokemon with Brick Break, which were virtually all of them.

Brick Break is very ubiquitous in Gen 7. Doesn't help matters that's for sure.

At least the other starter's type combos were more novel.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So you like women who can beat you up and don't show skin? Ok here you go.

250px-Arcee-Prime-stock-render-alternate

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

See what Brightbow said, Incineroar's one of the worst pokemon designs to me, it's like they took two different furry action figures and plonked the limbs from one onto the torso of the other, not to mention the fact it took a potential quadruped Fire starter away from us again and had such a fighting centric feel that the idea they changed it's type to Dark to avoid backlash is very understandable.

I actually agree with all of that.

It's a shame that Steve can't mine Core Crystals out of Azurda (that's not a sentence I thought I would ever say) and use one to summon KOS-MOS, and here I thought Sakurai had an attention to detail.

Incineroar is a wrestler, which is something that makes it unique at least. Isabelle is just half Villager and half leftover ideas that Villager didn't use, so her moveset doesn't feel like it belongs to her. She would be more interesting if they leaned more into her attacking opponents accidentally by being clumsy or careless.

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh, so what you're telling me is, Incineroar is a modern FE avatar!

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

One has to wonder sometimes why these things occur. This game did end up 12s in the EU, so some could claim it wasn't as much of a bother what they did put in. But then again these characters you mention did get extra clothing despite the age rating being the same. Do you feel like it's more of an issue for characters from RPGs to be so when you wish for this genre to be less.... showy?

Oh yeah, right, they did get censored for Smash. Makes one wonder why these two got added with just some patches of cloth put on top of them, but Mai got the boot. Not that I particularly care much for Mai, either, but it's a bit weird.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So you like women who can beat you up and don't show skin?

Different kinds of like. There's a time and a place for everything, and I just don't think mindless fanservice has a place in any game, show or whatever that takes itself even remotely seriously. In some cases the suggestive looks can add to a character, but all too often the dumb fanservice conflicts with the characters' personalities. And, well, I don't think it's that great of a trade off in exchange for eye candy when I'm not looking for eye candy.

Though, to be honest, looking at Xenoblade's designs as a whole, I think my problem with these two characters in particular is less the fanservice and more that I hate Xenoblade's design choices in general. Nothing objective about it, I just look at these designs and I go "holy shit everyone's clothes look horrible."

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok here you go.

250px-Arcee-Prime-stock-render-alternate

Wha...

I mean, I guess it technically ticks all the boxes, but... See, there's a bit of a problem: I said "don't show skin", not "don't have skin at all."

16 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The treatment that Incineroar got kinda made me feel that Nintendo is trying really hard to turn it into another Charizard in terms of popularity.

Nah, Greninja got pushed way harder.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, so what you're telling me is, Incineroar is a modern FE avatar!

I don’t understand the comparison.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, Greninja got pushed way harder.

Well isn’t it great that Greninja is better than both?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I don’t understand the comparison.

Terrible design, took away from the game it was on, gets pushed like the entire world revolves around it, everyone hates it... Sounds like a FE avatar to me. From Dayni's explanation, at least. I don't know my Pokemon nearly well enough to tell if that's true or not.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Terrible design, took away from the game it was on, gets pushed like the entire world revolves around it, everyone hates it... Sounds like a FE avatar to me. From Dayni's explanation, at least. I don't know my Pokemon nearly well enough to tell if that's true or not.

Ah, I was looking more at the design of “swapping out limbs” and wasted potential aspects.

But eh, none of the avatar designs are terrible other than female Byleth and that one female Robin that looks high. FE doesn’t really “push” it’s avatars in the same way, whereas Incineroar gets favoritism over equal pokemon in the same position more than it should, every fe avatar already is treated like a major player and two out of three of them are force deployed for most maps, so I would say IS pushes them fairly, while Pokemon doesn’t imho.

Incineroar doesn’t really take away from the game its in though. Just don’t use it.

Oh yeah, right, they did get censored for Smash. Makes one wonder why these two got added with just some patches of cloth put on top of them, but Mai got the boot. Not that I particularly care much for Mai, either, but it's a bit weird.

Ratings boards are weird.

There's a time and a place for everything

I agree 100%.

But also our definitions of fanservice differ.

On a related note, i wish fanservice didn't always mean "characters in revealing clothing". I've always liked the other definition of fanservice more which is, things that celebrate the subject matter. If there's going to be a difference, let's call this "true fanservice".

Examples of true fanservice.

• Lego Star Wars (or any Lego game tbh)
  • Smash Bros
  • Any Doctor Who episode where different incarnations of the Doctor meet. The anniversaries especially.
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • Any crossover Musou game
  • The Outrealm stuff in Awakening
  • Guest characters from past games in Xenoblade 2

The list goes on. You get my point.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well isn’t it great that Greninja is better than both?

Yeah, Greninja is 1000% based.

All of the Water Starters are fantastic. There has never been one with a bad final evolution. 

Problem is, you don't know how bad it becomes until after level 30.

Seriously, Incineroar doesn't just look bad compared to Torracat, it becomes slower then Litten, it's very first form.

It basically becomes fursuit Flareon.

Edited by BrightBow

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, Greninja is 1000% based.

All of the Water Starters are fantastic. There has never been one with a bad final evolution.

Swampert and Blastoise: VMBlr0q.jpg

I mean I’m more of a grass starters person myself. The exception being gens 6 and 4 (but I do love Torterra, it was actually the first Pokémon I ever got to level 100) and kInD oF gens 2 and 5. Kind of for gen 2 because I don’t really like any of their final evolutions, but Chikorita and Bayleef are my favorites of the first and second stages, so it’s a hard decision (and the final evolutions are especially sad because imo Johto’s starters have the best first stages as a trio, what happened??). I mean I‘he only played through a Johto game once, and I picked Cyndaquil, but I did pick Chikorita the first time I played gold/silver.

Gen 5 is the exact opposite problem, Samurott and Serperior are both so awesome that I flip flop, I love both of their lines. I do kind of have Snivy bias from it being my first ever pokemon though.

And gen 8 I guess. Forgot that one exists. I like Intellion the most, but gen 8... lol.

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Problem is, you don't know how bad it becomes until after level 30.

Seriously, Incineroar doesn't just look bad compared to Torracat, it becomes slower then Litten, it's very first form.

If you care that much you could just look it up but fair enough.

Edited by Sooks

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha.

It's not really against you, but just against the general hypocrisy of the smash fanbase on that matter.

That, and honestly, i really hate the weird puritanism thing that has been sweeping across the net lately.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's a time and a place for everything, and I just don't think mindless fanservice has a place in any game

Oh, definetly, and you do remember one of the reasons why i hate modern Trails, don't you? xD

However i also can overlook bad and/or fanservicey character design if they aren't in the focus, so to say. Let's take compare two examples.

In Xenoblade 2, while everyone is either eye candy and/or has dumb outfits, the game doesn't focus on the fact. The game doesn't tell you ''Look here they embarassed because boobs'' or pan the camera on panties or whatever. It's treated like a part of the world that almost everyone is more lose with their clothes except in the religious country and ice country.

It's part of the world, and the game doesn't focous on it or the protags going all embarassed because hot tiddy onee-san, so it's not bad.

The other example i wanna talk about and you know very well is Fates. Panty/thong shots everywhere, Camilla's focus scene, everyone wanting to bang the MC, embarrasing Onsen scenes, etc. The game puts it in the focus and it becomes to distracting. (Modern Trails falls into this as well)

I hope i could explain it well

Edited by Shrimperor