• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

24 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Incineroar is a wrestler, which is something that makes it unique at least.

I'd wish it were on something else personally.

24 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Isabelle is just half Villager and half leftover ideas that Villager didn't use, so her moveset doesn't feel like it belongs to her. She would be more interesting if they leaned more into her attacking opponents accidentally by being clumsy or careless.

Yeah, that's something I didn't fully get: Why's she not an echo? There's a fair bit of move overlap, though definitely less so than some of the echos we do have in fairness.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, so what you're telling me is, Incineroar is a modern FE avatar!

Nonononononononoo, not what I said. Let's look at your explanation for a sec as why you said that:

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Terrible design, took away from the game it was on, gets pushed like the entire world revolves around it, everyone hates it... Sounds like a FE avatar to me. From Dayni's explanation, at least. I don't know my Pokemon nearly well enough to tell if that's true or not.

To me it fits The Scrappy more.

Taking away from S/M... it doesn't take that much. It's a bad design yes, but you are fully able to drop it in the box, pushed like the world revolves is pretty relative in a series which has Charizard, Pikachu and the other usual suspects. And clearly not everyone hates it (Same with the avatars but I think we can both agree Byleth being so highly ranked in CYL's baffling)

Not everything that's awful's an FE avatar, jeez.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh yeah, right, they did get censored for Smash. Makes one wonder why these two got added with just some patches of cloth put on top of them, but Mai got the boot. Not that I particularly care much for Mai, either, but it's a bit weird.

Mai certainty's more... blatant. Hell, it's easy to tell that's why from what was said by Sakurai on the matter.

No matter what you can say on the others, there's little you can alter in terms of camera angles to distract from her tracts swinging about. Now can a design that didn't do that happen? Yes, but maybe there was a decision on balance to not take the chance on a hypothetical headache on the matter, but I've no idea.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, Greninja got pushed way harder.

Certainly with AshGreninja (Come to think of it it's surprising they didn't do any for his Torracat actually considering it's the first gen making more drastic alts of pokemon.)

Greninja was certainly the most pushed of the Kalos starters, but I don't think the gap in how much they were pushed is as big. Plus Incineroar had the burst in popularity the series got in 2016 as well to help it.

I mentioned Final Wars so it's time to post the obligatory

Even though it's dubbed.

Anyways i love this movie.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Swampert and Blastoise:

VMBlr0q.jpg

I know you ain't slandering Blastoise and Swampert.

Gen 5 is the exact opposite problem, Samurott and Serperior are both so awesome that I flip flop, I love both of their lines. I do kind of have Snivy bias from it being my first ever pokemon though.

Ah, we both started with Gen 5 i see. Oshawott was my first ever Pokemon and the Samurott it evolved into was the first ever to reach Lv.100, followed by Zekrom.

because imo Johto’s starters have the best first stages as a trio, what happened??)

Gen 2 Starters are just "what if big" each time they evolve. I'd agree they are definitely the weakest of the bunch.

Blastoise is a pretty straightforward improvement over it's previous evolutions. And Swampert is an electric immune water type. Hard to go wrong with that.

But with the Litten line, it's basically like if a Gyarados would evolve into Magikarp.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gen 2 Starters are just "what if big" each time they evolve. I'd agree they are definitely the weakest of the bunch.

Well, there was Beta Bayleef that one time...

Dr. Lava's Lost Pokemon on Twitter: "Beta Bayleef: In Gold & Silver's 1997  demo, Chikorita and Meganium were nearly identical to their release version  designs... but Bayleef's design was radically different. 1.

I know you ain't slandering Blastoise and Swampert.

At least I love Mudkip and like Marshtomp...

Ah, we both started with Gen 5 i see. Oshawott was my first ever Pokemon and the Samurott it evolved into was the first ever to reach Lv.100, followed by Zekrom.

Best gen.

I didn’t even finish the game the first time around though, I sort of soft locked myself by only using two Pokémon, both of whom were of types that dragon resisted... no level 100 Serperior for me.

Exactly!!

Except for Chikorita, because it’s actually somewhat different, but not in a good way.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Dr. Lava's Lost Pokemon on Twitter: "Beta Bayleef: In Gold & Silver's 1997  demo, Chikorita and Meganium were nearly identical to their release version  designs... but Bayleef's design was radically different. 1.

Ok this is actually worse because that Bayleef is just a completely different Pokemon. Feels more like a uhhhhh a branching evolution of Vileploom's pre-evolution.

Just now, Armagon said:

Speaking of, Gen 5 came out in the US exactly 10 years ago.

Incidentally, I started with Black 2 and not Black or White.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

>Feraligatr's actually his favourite

https://media.tenor.com/images/6bd4d047a76daeba2acf62f6200cf889/tenor.png

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Some of those designs truly were bizarre.

Plus no Wooper, really more than okay with the final roster.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think I'm more impressed that he managed to live four generations in a time where you'd be lucky if you made it past the age of 30.

It wasn't historically that dire. Yes, a lot fewer people lived past say 50 or 55. But generally, if you made it past childhood, where mortality is higher, things got significantly better. The absence of modern medicine and struggling to have enough bread to eat in many years made life a whole lot harder, but those wouldn't bring you down to sub-30, unless you toiled in a very laborious job.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok this is actually worse because that Bayleef is just a completely different Pokemon. Feels more like a uhhhhh a branching evolution of Vileploom's pre-evolution.

Well, it appears the Gen 2 Starters looked a whole different at some point.

Behold Beta Gen 2, when it was expected to be the end of the series and encompass all of Japan. Plans to make it a never-ending franchise likely explains the major delay of Gen 2, allowing it to be very reworked.:

Spoiler

Deh5R8-WkAApAW-.jpg:large

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ah, I was looking more at the design of “swapping out limbs” and wasted potential aspects.

But eh, none of the avatar designs are terrible other than female Byleth and that one female Robin that looks high. FE doesn’t really “push” it’s avatars in the same way, whereas Incineroar gets favoritism over equal pokemon in the same position more than it should, every fe avatar already is treated like a major player and two out of three of them are force deployed for most maps, so I would say IS pushes them fairly, while Pokemon doesn’t imho.

In my own defense, I was joking.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

On a related note, i wish fanservice didn't always mean "characters in revealing clothing". I've always liked the other definition of fanservice more which is, things that celebrate the subject matter. If there's going to be a difference, let's call this "true fanservice".

Examples of true fanservice.

• Lego Star Wars (or any Lego game tbh)
  • Smash Bros
  • Any Doctor Who episode where different incarnations of the Doctor meet. The anniversaries especially.
  • Godzilla: Final Wars
  • Any crossover Musou game
  • The Outrealm stuff in Awakening
  • Guest characters from past games in Xenoblade 2

The list goes on. You get my point.

Ah, yes, that kind of fanservice. I'll admit, I tend to use the term in the first way. We should probably find a different one for what you're talking about. It's a vastly different concept, and the word's permanently attached to "boobies flopping about," I'm afraid.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh, definetly, and you do remember one of the reasons why i hate modern Trails, don't you? xD

However i also can overlook bad and/or fanservicey character design if they aren't in the focus, so to say. Let's take compare two examples.

In Xenoblade 2, while everyone is either eye candy and/or has dumb outfits, the game doesn't focus on the fact. The game doesn't tell you ''Look here they embarassed because boobs'' or pan the camera on panties or whatever. It's treated like a part of the world that almost everyone is more lose with their clothes except in the religious country and ice country.

It's part of the world, and the game doesn't focous on it or the protags going all embarassed because hot tiddy onee-san, so it's not bad.

The other example i wanna talk about and you know very well is Fates. Panty/thong shots everywhere, Camilla's focus scene, everyone wanting to bang the MC, embarrasing Onsen scenes, etc. The game puts it in the focus and it becomes to distracting. (Modern Trails falls into this as well)

I hope i could explain it well

Yes, you made your point quite clearly. Well, as much as overly revealing outfits without rhyme or reason irk me, I do agree that there's potential to make it much, much worse than it sometimes is. The way you describe it, I probably could handle Xenoblade 2's shenanigans after getting a couple rants out of my system. Fates, though... Well, I mean, I never did stop laughing at the game, did I?

17 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Not everything that's awful's an FE avatar, jeez.

Is that a fact?

OH MY GOD I spent way too long on that, but it's finally done. Now I just need to do some video editing and I'll have the funny done and ready for upload, so 10 people can watch it and I'm the only person who feels satisfied about it.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

>Feraligatr's actually his favourite

https://media.tenor.com/images/6bd4d047a76daeba2acf62f6200cf889/tenor.png

I like Feraligatr too, i just think he's the weakest.

He'd make a good Kaiju tho. If you increase his size.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wasn't historically that dire. Yes, a lot fewer people lived past say 50 or 55. But generally, if you made it past childhood, where mortality is higher, things got significantly better. The absence of modern medicine and struggling to have enough bread to eat in many years made life a whole lot harder, but those wouldn't bring you down to sub-30, unless you toiled in a very laborious job.

Is this in general or for the aristocracy? Because i know the wealthy lived longer lives than the peasants (wait, that's still today isn't it).

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, i've seen some of these.

Beta Pokemon are fascinating honestly. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll admit, I tend to use the term in the first way.

Yeah, i'll admit i use it in that way too sometimes.

As you said, the world has permanently attached fanservice to that first definition.

19 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Yeah, that's something I didn't fully get: Why's she not an echo? There's a fair bit of move overlap, though definitely less so than some of the echos we do have in fairness.

The official reason is that her proportions are too different from Villager's, but I think the actual reason is that she's too marketable to "just" be an echo. I doubt many people would've complained if she was an echo in any case.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Even though it's dubbed.

Since I assume you watched the Japanese versions... did you ever see the scenes where Godzilla and Anguirus talk?

Tear Ring Saga is pure fanservice. The game got everything. Even the Weapon Triangle, as an optional rule in the game's very expansive multiplayer mode that it also has, because the game does in fact have everything.

Just now, BrightBow said:

Tear Ring Saga is pure fanservice. The game got everything. Even the Weapon Triangle, as an optional rule in the game's very expansive multiplayer mode that it also has, because the game does in fact have everything.

Wait, what? The weapon triangle is in the VS mode?

Damn... I've never paid much attention to that one. Setting up the teams was a bit too complicated. Perhaps I should give it a shot. If only the player had access to the teams from the demo reel... Like, just about every NPC in the game is in there!

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, what? The weapon triangle is in the VS mode?

Damn... I've never paid much attention to that one. Setting up the teams was a bit too complicated. Perhaps I should give it a shot. If only the player had access to the teams from the demo reel... Like, just about every NPC in the game is in there!

No playable NPCs, unfortunately. Though you do get to transform Tia, which she can't do normally.

I would definitely recommend taking a look, even if just to appreciate all the crazy stuff in there.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

No playable NPCs, unfortunately. Though you do get to transform Tia, which she can't do normally.

I would definitely recommend taking a look, even if just to appreciate all the crazy stuff in there.

Hmmm... Apparently the rare demo version of TRS includes the funky multiplayer teams. Maybe I'll experiment a bit with it at some point.

13 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Since I assume you watched the Japanese versions... did you ever see the scenes where Godzilla and Anguirus talk?

Ohhhh the English version actually dubbed the lines, noooooo. I liked it much better when it was just comic book speech bubbles.