Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I think this is a little overblown. The game is fine, really. Solid enough for a game that got scrapped twice at least. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. 

I'm talking about the game being in dev hell, not the final product.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

In Xenoblade Chronicles I reached the Eryth Sea. I do like how the Definitive Edition cleans up is visuals both the interface and the world. Game is more exploration heavry than I remembered, so many exp boost just by first visiting a landmark.

In other new Attack on Titan just ended.

Spoiler

it turns out that Eren global genocide happened because some  wanted some action with this sister in a flashback. Admitting that you are  pathetic on several levels.  I felt some fans self inserted as him a bit too much. He Shinjied harded than Shinji. What's the deal with Mikasa makes out with his head?

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm talking about the game being in dev hell, not the final product.

If it were that bad, the games quality would probably be alot worse than it is. I honestly think it's a pretty damn good game overall, writing and such included.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

So civ players, what is the warmongering penalty? I see it’s moderate or egregious or whatever the least amount is called but I have yet to notice any penalty due to my thirst for conquest.

Regarding diplomacy, eradicating another civilization altogether is enough to everyone to really hate you henceforth. Taking one or two cities will be acceptable for most. Whoever will come to hate you, it'll take a few turns for the AI to turn against you. And unlike Civ 5 and perhaps earlier iterations, if you have a friendship or alliance, backstabbing and breaking the friendship on the spot isn't allowed in Civ 6. You can't turn against them until the 30 turns of the friendship/alliance pass.

If you're referring to war weariness, the Amenities penalty your cities take for fighting too much, it's very bearable and fades quickly, particularly in peacetime, as long as you keep the fighting short and successful. Losing a lot of units in a lot of battles outside of your territory will generate a lot of war weariness, as will using nuclear weapons. The weariness manifests only in cities closest to the theater of war I think.

35 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thank goodness. If VI had shared the same fate...

Celes's attempted suicide- how would that get handled? And don't say the Woolsey-NoA censorship to "leap for fun". 

25 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

The updated graphics are great. The people complaining are just whining babies.

Faris looks much more feminine in V iOS. The point to her is that she is a raised-by-pirates princess who acts manly, dresses manly, and hides the fact she is a woman for a short while from the other characters. Compare the spritework, Faris at the least got it bad.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That would've been nice too. After the Mana trilogy got remade in such a way (well, Trials is less super-deformed), I kinda want for that to be the norm, at least if you're making 3D remakes.

I think I can agree with this. Although with the added caveat of story and characterization additions, separate from radical rewrites. The Trials of Mana cast was charming enough, but a dearth of character interactions prevented me from truly appreciating them. I had like one nugget of a good three-line on-the-road conversation between Kevin and Duran, which made me hungry for more that never came.

Likewise, VI's ensemble cast could use the boost. Modern storytelling in gaming frequently demands more characterization than was possible in the 16-bit era.

43 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But they're just straight-up changing the entire story here and it reeks of Nomura bullshit. Like, i always thought the name "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" sounded tentative but it turns out, it's actually literal.

I remember reading once that he said that for most KH games, he has written every single line of dialogue in the games.

I understand not letting your underlings go off on their own and create major issues because of a lack of narrative oversight (XG's crucifixion? XS Ep. II?), but Nomura, I think you're micromanaging too much dude. That isn't good for game development, and probably not your personal health either. It does assure the games will reflect your singular artistic vision, if you're so concerned about things being watered down and losing originality, but have you ever asked yourself if it's worth it? If you have and have answered "yes", well, so be it Nomura.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If it were that bad, the games quality would probably be alot worse than it is. I honestly think it's a pretty damn good game overall, writing and such included.

Development hell can butch a game's quality, but it doesn't have to. There is always the chance of a game coming out fine. The old Miyamoto saying of a "delayed game is eventually good" is the positive take on game delays. Whether the flames of creation are divine or infernal do not necessarily correlate to the health of the baby that comes out of the womb. Keep in mind Genealogy of the Holy War I think I can argue did go through development hell, and for some ardent FE fans, it is their absolute favorite.

Although, having to sacrifice several DLC episodes and settle for them as boring chapters in a book instead doesn't speak well about the pregnancy, even if I haven't played the game. I think I can say that even without casting judgment on the quality of the game itself or any of the writing that actually made it into the final game product.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I remember reading once that he said that for most KH games, he has written every single line of dialogue in the games.

KH1 and 2 are fine, though.

Just wondering something, how much Nomura as responsible for the Final Fantasy being transformed into a luxury brand for rich metrosexuals? Or that the higher ups at Square Enix. Member when Cloud was pushed with a wolf motif. Actually I don't want to member that.

11 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Game is more exploration heavry than I remembered, so many exp boost just by first visiting a landmark.

EXP in Xenoblade 1 is more important due to how levels work here which is why new landmarks give out more EXP than in the other Xenoblade games.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

What I'm saying is that it shouldn't have gone like that in the first place. Keep in mind, they had to bring in someone else to salvage the mess that Nomura made so in the end, FF15 isn't even under his name.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

remember reading once that he said that for most KH games, he has written every single line of dialogue in the games.

It's funny because this sort of thing does work in books usually. Storytelling in games is obviously different but I think Nomura's problem in KH is that he tries to connect every little thing and explain everything.

KH1 worked because it wasn't trying to be this massive interconnected saga.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Just wondering something, how much Nomura as responsible for the Final Fantasy being transformed into a luxury brand for rich metrosexuals?

Nomura obviously hasn't worked on every FF game but he's arguably the man with the most clout within the company so......maybe?

16 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

KH1 and 2 are fine, though.

First, I was not criticizing any KH game at all, only saying "writing all the dialogue yourself is probably excessive micromanagement". I just want to clarify that.

Second I found the interview in question.:

https://www.siliconera.com/tetsuya-nomura-talks-about-doing-most-of-kingdom-hearts-writing-after-kingdom-hearts-ii/

It's after KHII that his writing focus started, and that 358/2 Days intensified it.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's funny because this sort of thing does work in books usually. Storytelling in games is obviously different

Very true. Games have more dialogue.

trails-size.jpg

scriptsize.png

Books have a higher ratio of meaningful text than video games, where a lot of lines are wasted on utilitarian stuff. Yet, the point remains that Nomura shouldn't waste all his time writing all of it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

For anyone that enjoys a darker toned story and wants any FF recommendations, Type-0 is something I can say has a fantastic story. 

Also one of the best ending sequences in the series, imo. 

Edited by lightcosmo

Only I would fall out of bed while awake.

Also, this Barbarossa guy sounds a lot like my character this play through.

......I mean, he’s still gonna die and have all his lands and people taken from him, but still.

Alright, that’s a wrap for now. Turn 174 and I have defeated Sumeria and the Aztecs, and also Russia... because they had one town on turn 174!? Seriously? Peter, you idiot. My strategy has been overwhelm everything with 50 horses, and it’s worked quite well so far. The entire starting continent is mine unless there’s a lot hidden in the half a corner I have yet to explore.

However, the new problem, @Interdimensional Observer, is that that’s not really gonna work anymore. It is now the Renaissance era and I struggled a lot with the walls of Russia’s city center and encampment. As horsemen are of the classical era, and knights take a million turns and are of the medieval era, I feel the reign of my army of horses is at its end. So, what now? What is a good way to approach the renaissance era in a domination run, and one where the rest of the civs are overseas? Because I’ve just been capturing cities and going about my way, I have like two good cities and a ton of really bad ones. The other leaders I’ve discovered on the new content are Alexander of Macedon and Frederick Barbarossa of Germany, if that matters. I’ve also kinda been neglecting culture...

Unrelated question as well: do all civs start at the same time? I mean Russia had one town at almost turn 200.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

While dropping the dog from the top of the bed and potentially landing on top of her if she didn’t have the reflexes of a cat and jumped out of the way.

Hahaha, idiot t baggers getting camped out all game long. It's hilarious to see them t bag cause they are being barraged by projectiles. 

Maybe advance instead of being stupid? Get mad, by all means. *claps*

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Makes you wonder what would've happened if he had been allowed to do XIII Versus (it was that one, was it?) the way he originally wanted...

He wanted it to be a musical.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I think this is a little overblown. The game is fine, really. Solid enough for a game that got scrapped twice at least. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. 

FFXV is not a bad game, just incomplete.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Faris looks much more feminine in V iOS. The point to her is that she is a raised-by-pirates princess who acts manly, dresses manly, and hides the fact she is a woman for a short while from the other characters. Compare the spritework, Faris at the least got it bad.

You think? I do not believe that the difference is stark to the point of breaking the experience. And her design by Amano is superior anyway so...

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

While dropping the dog from the top of the bed and potentially landing on top of her if she didn’t have the reflexes of a cat and jumped out of the way.

Well, I don't have a dog, but I step on my cat routinely.

Anyway, here is the definitive tier list of Final Fantasy games and if you disagree with my opinion, you are objectively wrong.  /s (kinda)574510337_fftier.png.ed7b0a028cc172bbdaa660ad0feaf2a6.png

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Why oh why did i spend the last few hours creating an overcomplicated bad meme

OOF

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

In Xenoblade Chronicles I reached the Eryth Sea. I do like how the Definitive Edition cleans up is visuals both the interface and the world. Game is more exploration heavry than I remembered, so many exp boost just by first visiting a landmark.

In other new Attack on Titan just ended.

Reveal hidden contents

it turns out that Eren global genocide happened because some  wanted some action with this sister in a flashback. Admitting that you are  pathetic on several levels.  I felt some fans self inserted as him a bit too much. He Shinjied harded than Shinji. What's the deal with Mikasa makes out with his head?

Attack on Titan's ending shat on literally everything it was buildng up to and is objetively worse than Game of Throne's ending.