• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, turns out I was wrong. I didn't noticed that among the demands of the Jacobin revolt in the USA was... the outlawing of slavery. Uh huh.

So... this playthrough won't have a ACW, because the Liberals/Jacobins/Republicans/Whigs/etc, likely fed up due to the failure of Manifest Destiny (historically the Slavocrats and Democrats were the main drivers of expanding into the would-be-Southwest), decided to revolt, and abolish slavery. Well now...

Meanwhile...

4NpD9CE.png

What is this now, the Brown Man's Burden?

At least when it comes to these mods, the European powers barely do a token effort in expanding into Africa before the Berlin Conference (which can be someplace else due to the random nature of the event). So... I'm taking advantage of that...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Also, something happened with the UK because...

5GDlZY9.png

Usually it would appear via event, but it seems the UK decided to release them on their own. Considering they also got "Mission to Civilize" (I'm seeing them colonizing the interior of Australia), the AI likely did this to free up Colonial points.

Because I also saw New Zealand has showed up as well.

Okay the actual castle of the Necrogond, I remember this from DQXI. Unexpectedly empty this time, having a bunch of the kings show up in XI enlivened it. 

*Reaches Baramos*

I think I know how this is going to go, let me try.

*Wiped clean on turn 2*

Sylvaaaaaaaaando! I need your Hustle Dance! 

Time to grind, exactly as I expected. Although it's worse than I expected. Like VIII's Dhoulmagus, it looks like what I need is unceasing use of Multiheal, which is learned at... level 34. About ten above where I am.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

How does Poland have so many cities?

You don't need every city, remember. All you need to win is to take Krakow. If you cripple Poland and can get Jadwiga to agree to cede it and any other cities you've captured, that'll do. You can leave her with some places off the beaten path.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Okay the actual castle of the Necrogond, I remember this from DQXI. Unexpectedly empty this time, having a bunch of the kings show up in XI enlivened it. 

*Reaches Baramos*

I think I know how this is going to go, let me try.

*Wiped clean on turn 2*

Sylvaaaaaaaaando! I need your Hustle Dance! 

Time to grind, exactly as I expected. Although it's worse than I expected. Like VIII's Dhoulmagus, it looks like what I need is unceasing use of Multiheal, which is learned at... level 34. About ten above where I am.

The mid 30's is usually the recommended level to face Baramos, so... wait, you managed to reach him in the mid 20's? How many vocation changes did you did?

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You don't need every city, remember. All you need to win is to take Krakow. If you cripple Poland and can get Jadwiga to agree to cede it and any other cities you've captured, that'll do. You can leave her with some places off the beaten path.

Wait... what? I had no idea any of that was a thing. Sorry, what do you mean cede it? And what places off the beaten path, other cities?

The AI is certainly... not exactly the smartest on these matters. Since the UK controls the entire Australian coastline, it has no competition. Yet it's colonizing that area first, instead of other places to quickly take over before the competition. Or maybe because it is a safe choice it went for Australia. Same for the interior of Labrador.

I mean, the only other place I can see them colonizing is the last part of Oregon not owned by anyone. I'm the only other one who could colonize. But I'm actually not gonna do that. I'm letting them take it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I am reminded of fe6 chapter 21. n8NnLvu.png
Why did I spend time making this?

Anyway that’s enough world domination for one day... I have no idea how I’m going to win. My focus on blitzing through every civ I found and not science and culture and money and developing the cities I conquered is coming back to bite me.

Well, my factory building is done. There's still a couple more things to unlock in the late game, but for now I'm done. I can let the Capitalists handle than if needed.

Now I'll focus on using my money on forts, ports, and building rails and factories in other countries. My current Capitalist POPs are dealing with the national railroads since I'm the one spamming the factories, heh.

53 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The mid 30's is usually the recommended level to face Baramos, so... wait, you managed to reach him in the mid 20's? How many vocation changes did you did?

Just the Thief to Sage. Why?

The only time I abused the autosave feature was getting to the Cave to the Necrogond, once I was inside the cave, I surprisingly found it mostly bearable and didn't run into circumstances where I needed to. The Mimics never even successfully Whacked me, unlike the Pyramid's Cannibox OHKOs. 

Otherwise, the game wasn't so hard that I felt I had to do some major grinding, other than some when starting the game for the first few levels, and some much later bring my Sage up to ~15, which took next to no time. Grinding could've helped with Orochi, but I snatched victory from the jaws of death there. I also used Padfoot to lower the encounter rate about 50% of the time once I learned it. Lastly, DQIII is fairly short, with barely any bosses to stat-check you. Robbin' Hood twice, Orochi, the Boss Troll and... something else I'm feel like I'm forgetting before Orochi, but it isn't very many.

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait... what? I had no idea any of that was a thing.

As I said, Domination Victory asks for the original capital cities, nothing more to win. For Poland, the original capital shall always be Krakow (IRL it's present Warsaw, but forget that, Krakow was the capital of Poland in Jadwiga's time). 

Here is a screenshot I found, for an example.

Spoiler

tY9XguT.jpg

Look at Kyoto, you can just barely see that it has that gold star to the left of the city's name. That marks it as Japan's capital, and Kyoto -not Tokyo b/c Hojo Tokimune is 1200s AD and Tokyo doesn't become the Japanese capital until the 1600s- is Japan's default capital in Civ 6.

If Japan had lost Kyoto, the gold star would have moved to another city, but you wouldn't need to take it, you already have the original capital. If someone else had already conquered Kyoto, you'd have to take it from them to win Domination.

The original capitals cannot be razed, ever, you are denied that option with them. Every other city can be.

Sorry, what do you mean cede it?

Ask for peace. Then hit "R" to see her city list, and select the cities you've taken and want to keep. A city that is militarily "occupied" suffers greatly reduced yields. 

With the DLC expansions, all cities captured have to be formally ceded or returned (if they weren't razed) in the peace deal. In the no-DLC game however, I think you have to ask for a city to be ceded to remove the "occupied" yield penalties in peacetime, because by default you'll keep them without the formal acceptance of cession. Wiping another civ off the map will eradicate the "occupied" status as well, because then there is nobody to ask for the city from.

And what places off the beaten path, other cities?

I'm just saying that you could take the cities that lead to the enemy's capital, take the capital, and if necessary take the cities that could help clear a better path to your next victim. Make your triumphant peace and keep all the aforementioned cities you need, leaving out-of-the-way and or tiny cities that pose no threat behind. If they can't effectively bite your backside, only issue harmless complaints that you're evil, then you can keep moving forward and strike at your next target.

Because you're playing the base no-paid DLC game, leaving some enemy cities in enemy hands is easier. The Rise and Fall & Gathering Storm expansion adds the Loyalty mechanic, which means it is very possible to see the cities you've conquered go into revolt a few turns later and declare their independence, followed by a likely return to their original country ~10 turns after that. It forces you to raze more, or to try to take several high-population enemies cities at roughly the same time.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just the Thief to Sage. Why?

The only time I abused the autosave feature was getting to the Cave to the Necrogond, once I was inside the cave, I surprisingly found it mostly bearable and didn't run into circumstances where I needed to. The Mimics never even successfully Whacked me, unlike the Pyramid's Cannibox OHKOs. 

Otherwise, the game wasn't so hard that I felt I had to do some majoring grinding, other than a little when starting the game, and some much later bring my Sage up to ~15, which took next to no time. Grinding could've helped with Orochi, but I snatched victory from the jaws of death there. I also used Padfoot to lower the encounter rate about 50% of the time once I learned it. Lastly, DQIII is fairly short, with barely any bosses to stat-check you. Robbin' Hood twice, Orochi, the Boss Troll and... something else I'm feel like I'm forgetting before Orochi.

I guess I did grinded at times when I played. Not so much levels, but more the gold for equipment. Or I went to the Monster Arenas instead.

By the time I reached Baramos' Castle, my party was at 30-31 (with my Sage slightly lower due to using the Book as well), so I felt I didn't had to grind as much to be able to face him. It helps the place has Liquid Metal Slimes if needed.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

As I said, Domination Victory asks for the original capital cities, nothing more to win. For Poland, the original capital shall always be Krakow (IRL it's present Warsaw, but forget that, Krakow was the capital of Poland in Jadwiga's time). 

I just knew it asked for the capital but since it moves I thought I had to wipe every Civ from the face of the Earth.

Ask for peace. Then hit "R" to see her city list, and select the cities you've taken and want to keep. A city that is militarily "occupied" suffers greatly reduced yields.

But like... that’s it? As long as I keep the OG capital I can chug on to domination?

Also, should I be razing cities? I’ve kept all of them so far because they’re free cities and I doubt I need whatever gold I would get from that over a free city. Even if they suck, I mean supposedly the people will rebel because apparently the AI doesn’t care about amenities and they always have none when I get them, but that hasn’t happened yet.

But like... that’s it? As long as I keep the OG capital I can chug on to domination?

Yep. They changed it to this in Civ 5, it carried over to the spinoff Civ: Beyond Earth, and then Civ 6. Civ 4 had Domination be a 30% population lead over everyone else and 65% of the world's surface under your control. A "Conquest Victory"  in that game was "wipe everyone off the map". The Domination change makes it is simpler, for better or worse. 

Of course, you do have to fight to the capital and make sure the enemy can't take it back. But I'll let you reach your own opinion on how Domination works.

Also, should I be razing cities? I’ve kept all of them so far because they’re free cities and I doubt I need whatever gold I would get from that over a free city. Even if they suck, I mean supposedly the people will rebel because apparently the AI doesn’t care about amenities and they always have none when I get them, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Rebel units take quite a low number of amenities to spawn, 5 or more below where the amenities levels should be. Decreased yields of 5-10% and 15-30% population growth decline are the only penalties until then.

As for razing, I'll do it if a city is total junk but I need to take it anyhow. If it's half-decent, I'll keep it though because it is another city. This ain't Civ 5, where letting your cities get even slightly Unhappy is apparently very bad for your entire empire, too harshly so.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yep. They changed it to this in Civ 5, it carried over to the spinoff Civ: Beyond Earth, and then Civ 6. Civ 4 had Domination be a 30% population lead over everyone else and 65% of the world's surface under your control. A "Conquest Victory"  in that game was "wipe everyone off the map". The Domination change makes it is simpler, for better or worse. 

Of course, you do have to fight to the capital and make sure the enemy can't take it back. But I'll let you reach your own opinion on how Domination works.

Still though, it might be advantageous to at least take this six population city so that she will stop spawning Calvary while I’m trying to take her capital.

Wait the Cyrus who leads Persia in Civ VI is the same one that Tomyris’ unique ability gets its name from? He died in a battle against her army? He should have been one of the other Civs that spawned, come on rngesus...

6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Wait the Cyrus who leads Persia in Civ VI is the same one that Tomyris’ unique ability gets its name from? He died in a battle against her army? He should have been one of the other Civs that spawned, come on rngesus...

Yes, same guy. They picked Cyrus the Great in the first wave of scattered bits of DLC (most of which is included for free in the Switch version) because Tomyris made it into the base game to represent the "non-Mongol Central Eurasian nomads". The Scythians are among the earliest known historical nomads of Central Eurasia, and the reason they wanted a non-Mongolia nomad group was because the Mongols are the great exception amongst the nomads, since they created the largest contiguous land empire in history. (Genghis Khan still made it into the paid DLC.)

The choice to give Cyrus a deceptive personality is questionable for some. It could be argued Darius the Great, the "95% likely to be a usurper-king", is better deserving of that, although he repped Persia in Civ 5 and they didn't want to repeat leaders in this case. They also wanted to make Cyrus fit the Tomyris portrayal for a little thematic matching between empires. I'm fine with it, Persia (modern Iran) is a nice civ that has incentives to go for war or culture, or mix in some of both.

The one time I did play Scythia, I got Cyrus. So I lucked out there. You can handpick the leaders if you want, and I believe you should be able to mess around with the leader pools- throw in only the leaders you want the game to randomly choose from.

This Thread's official theme?

Not the music i expected when i saw Teehee in it's name. Kinda sounds like a pokemon boss theme

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This Thread's official theme?

Well, it's a bit too bombastic to be the Thread's generic theme. Usually we're civil.

When someone mentions Three Houses and Ruben is online, though... Now that is when this fits.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Not the music i expected when i saw Teehee in it's name. Kinda sounds like a pokemon boss theme

Well, it is a boss theme. As for the boss itself, well, see the image in the video? That's the boss. From what I've heard, she's the customary super boss that every RPG worth its salt has. I didn't encounter her, however. She was on the other route that I didn't take.

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Animal Crossing franchise. A little odd to think it so. There has to be one Japanese fan out there who been continuously playing their N64 original all this time.

Of course, if you've played four days of Animal Crossing, you'd think 20 years have already passed from how long it feels.

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The one time I did play Scythia, I got Cyrus. So I lucked out there. You can handpick the leaders if you want, and I believe you should be able to mess around with the leader pools- throw in only the leaders you want the game to randomly choose from.

You can, but that takes away the fun of discovering who’s out there!

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay this theme should play every time there's an argument in this thread.

NGL, better than most of the pokemon champion themes

Let's see DIantha be as easy with this behind her!