Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At least it wasn't my old Mac, which basically broke its 7-8-years old spine after a major OS update. I blame myself for doing that.

Are Mac updates not forced like Windows are?

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What were the Kaga games?

Mystery of the Emblem and TearRing Saga are the only good Kaga games.

10 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Yeah, I don't think anything can top early MCU. Watching a superhero movie in a shared universe for the first time was a magical experience. MCU after the first Avengers became too formulaic, with subpar plots and dumb jokes every damn film, save for Winter Soldier and GotG.

Ehhhhh......Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were bad and Thor was just alright. But I can agree on the formulaic criticism of the later films, even though my top 3 MCU films are all Phase 3 (Infinity War, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok).

Keep in mind, I didn't fully get into the MCU until like, 9th grade. I had watched MCU films earlier but when I was a kid, I didn't register that it was all a shared universe and so the landmark achievement of Avengers was lost on little kid me.

Anyways, MCU is dead to me at the moment now. This "Phase 4" isn't needed at all even if I am going to watch No Way Home.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

still haven't seen Incredible Hulk though, maybe that's more of a standout.

Nah, Incredible Hulk is legitimately boring and Edward Norton is not as good at being Bruce Banner as Mark Ruffalo is.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I still haven't seen Incredible Hulk though, maybe that's more of a standout.

😬

In my personal opinion (which is the popular one), it’s not good. At all, really.

In early MCU I think Iron Man 1 and Captain America good, Thor and Hulk bad, Iron Man 2 forgettable. What happened in that movie again? 

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

even though my top 3 MCU films are all Phase 3 (Infinity War, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok).

See this, this is what good taste looks like.

I actually still have not seen all of Homecoming though.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Are Mac updates not forced like Windows are?

Not, not mandatory. Maybe there is a setting for that, but with the default setting, I'm told there are updates available when they are for the OS, but I don't have to update it. I've put those off for many months, even years before.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyways, MCU is dead to me at the moment now. This "Phase 4" isn't needed at all even if I am going to watch No Way Home.

Well this reads pointedly. I'm imagining corporate is trying to milk a very proven cash cow, except there has been enough MCU for some years to come. The fields should lay fallow to regain the creativity for nurturing a new crop years down the line. Corporate should find some new passing cinematic fad to make the mils and bils from instead.

-Not that I've watched more than maybe three MCU films.

Well the MCU is blessed with lots and lots of source material to still use unlike other franchises that are meant to end and then corporate says “but money” (usually TV shows).

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

See this, this is what good taste looks like.

Based.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

actually still have not seen all of Homecoming though.

It is the best Spider-Man movie imo.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm imagining corporate is trying to milk a very proven cash cow, except there has been enough MCU for some years to come.

It's crazy to think that the only reason there was no MCU last year was because of the pandemic.

Then this year they started doing shows on Disney+. I haven't seen any of them because I'm more interested in the Star Wars shows than MCU shows.

Really, MCU for me now is just "watch the ones I want" and there isn't really a whole lot for me. I'll watch No Way Home, Thor 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and.... that's basically it.

As you said, Disney is really just milking it at this point.

32 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So do you define early MCU as pre-Avengers?

Yep. I was talking about phase one.

31 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I know I don't think quite the same (formulaic is certainly an understandable criticism, but I am definitely too tired to go into it in detail), but out of the first phase it doesn't help that it has Thor (Which is definitely impacted by Branagh's involvement), Captain America (I can't say I was fully into it when I watched it, but I guess I'm not American enough to appreciate it) and Iron Man 2 (which shock horror I'm not a fan of). Avengers couldn't quite be matched for the sheer awe of the moment itself when it happened (Endgame has that decade of buildup hanging over it, that would always be a factor)

I still haven't seen Incredible Hulk though, maybe that's more of a standout.

I wasn't saying that phase one had the best movies, just that they have a "magic", no doubt thanks to time they were made. Like I said, we were watching a shared universe for the first time. Even though the movies had its faults, everything was going to culminate in a single big event (Avengers), so I could let it slip. Basically, timing was the key. The moment Marvel started releasing 2/3 movies every year was when the genre became saturated.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ehhhhh......Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 were bad and Thor was just alright. But I can agree on the formulaic criticism of the later films, even though my top 3 MCU films are all Phase 3 (Infinity War, Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok).

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

In early MCU I think Iron Man 1 and Captain America good, Thor and Hulk bad, Iron Man 2 forgettable. What happened in that movie again? 

Iron Man 2 sucks, I agree. But Incredible Hulk is an acceptable movie imo. Thor is overhated. Homecoming is the worst Spider-Man movie ever since 3 imo.

My top 5 would be the following:

1. Iron Man
  2. Infinity War
  3. GotG
  4. Winter Soldier
  5. Civil War

I don’t really have a particular ordering, but my top five would be Infinity War, Ragnarok, Avengers, Endgame, and Iron Man 1. Subject to change because Sooks moment.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Really, MCU for me now is just "watch the ones I want" and there isn't really a whole lot for me. I'll watch No Way Home, Thor 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 and.... that's basically it.

Wait, I didn’t know any of these movies were confirmed.

*googles*

The rock I live under never fails to surprise me. Thor 4 is especially surprising.

4 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Winter Soldier

Another one I haven’t seen but really want to.

The moment Marvel started releasing 2/3 movies every year was when the genre became saturated.

They were doing that in Phase 1 as well tho?

2008: Iron Man and Hulk

2009 was a break, good on them.

2010: Iron Man 2 and Thor

2011: Captain America and Avengers

I think the saturation can be more blamed on everyone else trying to do it. DC started to do their cinematic universe and.....we all know how that went. There was the "Dark Universe" about classic movie monsters like Dracula and the Mummy, which went absolutely nowhere.

Then there's the MonsterVerse, which has been like the only other successfully pulled off cinematic universe, even if it did so more slowly. But Godzilla has been doing cinematic universes for over half a century so the MonsterVerse is more of business as usual.

Homecoming is the worst Spider-Man movie ever since 3 imo.

Gonna assume you haven't seen the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

I don't blame you, I don't wanna watch them either.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah yes, an "extensive, not intensive" revolution.

In the world of literature, this had begun with the invention of the Gutenberg printing press ~1450. It took until the 1600s for enough printing presses to become available to print anything and everything, but by this point, there were enough novels in Europe that a reader of literature could choose whatever they wanted, not merely forced to read what existed.

It's not to say that prior generations of humanity had not been prolific writers, they had done that in spades since writing was first invented. But now copies of written works could be mass-produced quicker and more cheaply than ever, people saw more stuff on the store shelves and could afford it too.

It's because of the printing press that fewer people (but still some) went crazy into Biblical interpretation and commentary than had been the case for centuries. That was "intensive" reading, when there was little else to entertain oneself with. -Although the Bible is a poor example in this case in one major aspect- because it is scripture, and therefore concerning the fundamentals of human existence, you don't want to literally burn in Hell. The King Arthur canon might be a better example as something purely for amusement with just a dash of morality.

-History lesson for the day. 

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think I read Sony made them solely to maintain the oddity that is their legal rights over the films for arachno-hero. Spider-Man was given away prior to the MCU, because Marvel was desperate for income at the time, and had yet considered making movies themselves.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's crazy to think that the only reason there was no MCU last year was because of the pandemic.

And no mass shootings either. Capitalism unbound and gun rights run amok, two of America's biggest problems, alike shackled solely by the Black Death 3.0.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

IMG_20210417_210424.jpg

It's been 2 hours

Son_of_Godzilla_Minilla.jpg

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

the world of literature, this had begun with the invention of the Gutenberg printing press ~1450. It took until the 1600s for enough printing presses to become available to print anything and everything, but by this point, there were enough novels in Europe that a reader of literature could choose whatever they wanted, not merely forced to read what existed.

It's not to say that prior generations of humanity had not been prolific writers, they had done that in spades since writing was first invented. But now copies of written works could be mass-produced quicker and more cheaply than ever, people saw more stuff on the store shelves and could afford it too.

I see. Novels went from a luxury to something everyone could afford.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And no mass shootings either. Capitalism unbound and gun rights run amok, two of America's biggest problems, alike shackled solely by the Black Death 3.0.

This is so true and it makes America's problems even more appearent.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There was the "Dark Universe" about classic movie monsters like Dracula and the Mummy, which went absolutely nowhere.

Wait what? Pfahaha. Never heard of that. Sounds... forced.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So then have you seen them?

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And no change for either. Woo American democracy!

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

IMG_20210417_210424.jpg

It's been 2 hours

Son_of_Godzilla_Minilla.jpg

FFFFFFFF

I beat World 6 in 3D World with everyone that I have, now I’m at World 🏰.

But that’s enough for one day.

Edited by Sooks

Berwick:

Spoiler

Who would have thought that the guy who gave us a net to capture a woman with wasn't on the up and up?

Edited by Robert Stewart

Finally hit over 100 hours in Tales of Xillia 2! 

Level 130 at highest, at the moment, not too bad. 

The grind for affinity is real, though... real boring! (See what I Did there?)

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They were doing that in Phase 1 as well tho?

There was a break in 2009. Iron Man 2 was the only movie released in 2010, and Avengers was the only movie released in 2012. Compare it to phases 2 and 3:MCU.thumb.png.cf414043565cc340ed63f759286ef66d.png

And some of these films are only 1 ~ 3 months apart.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I think the saturation can be more blamed on everyone else trying to do it.

I agree, this is also one of the problems. 2017 was the most exhausting year for me, because I went to see in theaters literally all the films of the genre (Wonder Woman, Thor, Homecoming, GotG2 and Logan).

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Garfield was the most faithful Spidey. I look forward to see him and Tobey in No Way Home.

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thanks, sir. Your participation is appreciated.

51 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait what? Pfahaha. Never heard of that. Sounds... forced.

It truly was. I don't think anyone even remembers the movies.

12 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Garfield was the most faithful Spidey.

Yeah, no, I have to strongly disagree. Garfield Spidey's entire motivation to become Spider-Man was out of revenge, which is just wrong in my opinion. Tobey's Spidey also had that brief moment of revenge but his motivation to become Spider-Man came after he realized he could've prevented Uncle Ben's death.

Garfield's second problem is that his Peter Parker is just too confident. Peter in highschool is kind of a loser (even after becoming Spider-Man) but in the Amazing duology, he's like the most popular kid in school. 

And then Amazing Spider-Man 2 is just a complete mess.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I agree with Armagon, 2002 Spider Man is much better.

It is, although I don't think the Raimi trilogy is like, that good. As in, they are good movies but I don't put them on the pedestal everyone else seems to put them on.

Fun fact, as a kid, I was 100% convinced that the superhero's love interest being a damsel in distress was a key aspect of superhero stories because that what the Raimi trilogy showed me every time. I also watched the first 70s Super-Man movie at around the same time and that too had a damsel in distress plot towards the end.

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I agree with Armagon, 2002 Spider Man is much better.

Are you talking about the character or the movie? While I do think that Raimi's trilogy is superior, Garfield interpreted the character "Spider-Man" better. Which is probably the best thing about his 2 movies.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Garfield Spidey's entire motivation to become Spider-Man was out of revenge, which is just wrong in my opinion. Tobey's Spidey also had that brief moment of revenge but his motivation to become Spider-Man came after he realized he could've prevented Uncle Ben's death.

True. The writers probably thought that just making Uncle Ben say a variation of his iconic line was enough.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Garfield's second problem is that his Peter Parker is just too confident. Peter in highschool is kind of a loser (even after becoming Spider-Man) but in the Amazing duology, he's like the most popular kid in school. 

You're looking too hard at the skateboard. TASM Peter is still a loser. Nobody respects him, he can barely talk to a girl and still gets his ass kicked.

The only time he's "confident" is in the basketball scene, and it backfires.

I'm pretty sure this is a "same seiyuu" in-joke.

i8WEaB9.png

Not that I can tell, with skits mute with English voices.

Edited by Acacia Sgt