Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Is there are RPG where the Healers aren't the MVPs? They save our asses, sometimes deal astronomical amounts of damage, and generally stop many game overs 

xD

Missed this but XCX is one of those where healers aren't saving anyone cause healing is... eh, at best.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

So Ardhanarishvara is a fusion specifically of Shiva and Parvati. A literal being of two minds. And bodies. To the point of being

Correct.

For another fusion Hindu deity, see Harihara, who is Shiva and Vishnu having become one. One vertically-divided half may be very Vishnu, and the other very Shiva, so as to identify that they are this particular deity. As Shiva and Vishnu and their various forms comprise two of the three major branches of Hinduism in the modern day (the third being Shaktism- worship of a goddess, like Durga, Kali, Lakshmi), them as one is supremely divine.

Ardha, Harihara, five-headed Shiva, and the various other forms the chief deities take, they're all fanciful ways of saying the same thing. That that particular god or goddess is the true embodiment of the ultimate reality- the Brahman (not to be confused with the creator god of the Trimurti (the holy Hindu trinity of the creator, preserver, and destroyer male gods)- Brahma, or the priest caste- Brahmin). Because the Brahman is the universe itself, whoever is the purest manifestation of the Brahman, deserves our reverence more than any other.

And since the Brahman is all there is, whichever deity is the finest form of the Brahman, is also all the deities who are lesser forms of the Brahman, therefore, Shiva has always been Vishnu and Parvati, or vice versa. The physical fusion -I suppose- is merely for our understanding, as we humans cannot so readily grasp two physically separate persons acting independent of each other as actually one whole. -The Christian Trinity, except likely formulated before it and more complicated?

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Bravely Default 2?

I've heard pretty good things about that.

No random encounters either, unlike the last BD game.

I think I'll pick up the game later myself. I've played both of BD1 and BS, both were enjoyable despite whatever faults they had. Won't go in with super-high expectations, or anything, but I'd be pretty fine if it ended up being a 7/10, although I'd prefer an 8/10 experience or higher.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

think I'll pick up the game later myself. I've played both of BD1 and BS, both were enjoyable despite whatever faults they had. Won't go in with super-high expectations, or anything, but I'd be pretty fine if it ended up being a 7/10, although I'd prefer an 8/10 experience or higher.

Same, I'll wait for a sale.

I don't know whether to feel happy or disappointed that Olivier is plot relevant after all. I kinda loved the idea that he was just some idiot who happened to rope the group into taking him along for no reason.

Still best boy 

My armor is my love for my family.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Not really that extreme. They only start being noticeable after 5 tries or so. I think it takes like 10 retries for the game to lower from hard to normal, for example, and only for that battle and only if you don't restart the game.

Tutturu y'all

Oh, well that’s good.

And good morning.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Hmmmm

I am really in a mood for a jrpg (and not a tactical one) right now, and i blame all of you for it 😛

Maybe it's time i give TMS a try? But that would require hunting a cheap copy in ebay for a few days

hmmmmmmmmmm

what to do what to do

Have you played Octopath? I can’t remember.

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how tongue is misspelled. This person has their priorities straight. Proper spelling isn't one of them.

They were typing with one hand

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know whether to feel happy or disappointed that Olivier is plot relevant after all. I kinda loved the idea that he was just some idiot who happened to rope the group into taking him along for no reason.

Really?

I mean he is still some idiot who the group took along for no reason, but he had a reason.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still best boy 

Yes.

Hello everyone. Today i bring you: my current game rotation.

Screenshot_3139.png

When i started Cold Steel 4, it took like 15 minutes for me to actually be able to play because cutscenes.

On a side note, i am thinking about doing another CrossCode playthrough since the DLC for consoles is supposed to drop sometime this summer. Which is soon inb4 August.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Is there are RPG where the Healers aren't the MVPs?

Xenoblade X. Because there are no healers.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Maybe it's time i give TMS a try?

IMG_20210401_100859.jpg?width=995&height

If you're looking to emulate then, perhaps you could check out Monolith Soft's other titles, since Xenoblade is your only experience with them.

Although given what you asked for,  i'll tell you to avoid for now:

• Xenogears because random encounters and that's a major turn-off for you
  • Xenosaga Episode II because random encounters and the gameplay is actually just garbage.
  • Namco x Capcom and the Project X Zones because SRPGs and you aren't looking for that right now (even if they aren't really SRPGs).
  • Xenoblade X because as based as that game is, you probably don't feel like hunting down a Wii U right now (i strongly recommend against emulating this one).
  • Disaster: Day of Crisis because it's not an RPG and it's the one Monolith Soft game that's giving me the red flags of "i won't like this one".

So you could instead try out:

• Baten Kaitos duology (GameCube)
  • Endless Frontier duology (DS)
  • Xenosaga Episode I - III (PS2) 
  • Soma Bringer (DS)
1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Healers are always the MVPs. Always. I have seen entire boss fights fall apart within seconds just because the team's healer died.
So yeah. xD

Bro i swear, there's always that moment of desperation when the healer dies alongside most of the party and the remaining characters have to desperately use revival items. And if they don't have that, then GG.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Missed this but XCX is one of those where healers aren't saving anyone cause healing is... eh, at best.

Healing just doesn't exist in this game lol.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For another fusion Hindu deity, see Harihara, who is Shiva and Vishnu having become one. One vertically-divided half may be very Vishnu, and the other very Shiva, so as to identify that they are this particular deity. As Shiva and Vishnu and their various forms comprise two of the three major branches of Hinduism in the modern day (the third being Shaktism- worship of a goddess, like Durga, Kali, Lakshmi), them as one is supremely divine.

Ardha, Harihara, five-headed Shiva, and the various other forms the chief deities take, they're all fanciful ways of saying the same thing. That that particular god or goddess is the true embodiment of the ultimate reality- the Brahman (not to be confused with the creator god of the Trimurti (the holy Hindu trinity of the creator, preserver, and destroyer male gods)- Brahma, or the priest caste- Brahmin). Because the Brahman is the universe itself, whoever is the purest manifestation of the Brahman, deserves our reverence more than any other.

And since the Brahman is all there is, whichever deity is the finest form of the Brahman, is also all the deities who are lesser forms of the Brahman, therefore, Shiva has always been Vishnu and Parvati, or vice versa. The physical fusion -I suppose- is merely for our understanding, as we humans cannot so readily grasp two physically separate persons acting independent of each other as actually one whole. -The Christian Trinity, except likely formulated before it and more complicated?

Within the many gods in Hinduism the fusion of multiple gods would essentially be closer towards the ultimate divine expression of Brahman? That's what I'm reading on the basis of this. Course, you would be less likely to see that versus the fusions that show up which would have a thematic point to them. And if I am right, then thus they are polytheistic in their expressions but all things come from Brahman, thus the many gods come from one source (which isn't that unique, but still).

So a Brahmin could preach about the Brahma pulling together as an expression of the male gods within Brahman.

Near spat out my orange on chess club, not gonna lie.

I already wrote the topic, but I can't publish. I'm very nervous.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Also, Rune Factory 4 is very good as far as RPGs go. Don't know if it's your kind of game, although you do like Atelier, so that's something.

Should I check out the game again? I tried playing it a bit, but I wasn't hooked.

1 minute ago, Maof06 said:

Should I check out the game again? I tried playing it a bit, but I wasn't hooked.

I mean, if it didn't grab you, maybe not? The gameplay you're doing at the start is more or less what happens for the rest of the game. It appeals to me, but it might not be your thing, idk.

15 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

If life-sims aren't your thing, then perhaps the game isn't for you but you could give it a second shot and see if it works.

47 minutes ago, Dayni said:

And if I am right, then thus they are polytheistic in their expressions but all things come from Brahman, thus the many gods come from one source (which isn't that unique, but still).

I think that would be accurate. The Brahman is everything.

Moksha is the endpoint of Hinduism, towards which all humans should try to work. Moksha is liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth, similar to Buddhist nirvana. To achieve moksha is to unite one's atma -their immortal soul- with the Brahman, to become one with the universe. And herein are the grounds for worshipping the gods. If one wishes to attain moksha, then it would be beneficial offer oneself to whomever you believe to be the supreme deity. After all, they are the Brahman at its finest, to become closer to them is to move closer to personal liberation.

How you worship the divine and work towards moksha can be up to you. Technically, I think this talk of the principles of Hinduism classifies as yoga, jnana yoga- the yoga of thought. Karma yoga is performing acts of charity. Bhakti is a popular form of yoga that consists of devotional worship, of passionately handing oneself over to the divine and letting it fill you, very romantic and even intimate in a way. After all, a popular embodiment of Bhakti worship is Radha embraced by Krishna whom she adores. But it'll actually bring you enlightenment, and hence it is sacrilege to seriously compare Bhakti to an excellent one-night-stand with a partner whose name you forget the morning after, which is worthless carnality. -Yoga as you see is not simply bending over backwards to burn calories as the West commonly conceives it to be nowadays, I would think that meditative flexing of one's body would be an aspect of jnana yoga -although I haven't looked it up.

-I do not know why I am in a Sanskrit after sunrise mood this morning, but I am. 🕉️

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Endless Frontier duology (DS)

Random encounters FYI. IIRC, the escape rate is 100% in both games, but still, randoms.

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade X because as based as that game is, you probably don't feel like hunting down a Wii U right now (i strongly recommend against emulating this one).

Why you gotta be so cruel like this? I'd love to see someone come back here complaining their PC has the odor of burnt silicon mixed with unending tears.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Random encounters FYI. IIRC, the escape rate is 100% in both games, but still, randoms.

...ah. Yeah, even with garuanteed escapes, that's probably still a turn-off for Shrimpy.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why you gotta be so cruel like this? I'd love to see someone come back here complaining their PC has the odor of burnt silicon mixed with unending tears.

The PC after attempting to emulate Xenoblade X

main-qimg-0dbda8c52a0285efe871e87a3eb281

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Man, i seriously need to catch up on that LP. I'm several episodes behind.

Considering how many episodes there are, I'm not sure if "several" in this case is 20 or 40...

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Though it is hard to know what exactly their original personalities were, if Pneuma was originally cold and apathetic, wouldn't this clash with the precieved Logos' personality. The Logos AI is very logical and likely only thinks of people as numbers to either add or subtract. If Pneuma was originally cold and apathetic, then there wouldn't really be any need for Ontos to mediate.

Of course, we must remember that Klaus did say that their original names don't actually mean anything beyond humanity's ego. So who knows, maybe ironically Logos was the caring one and Pneuma was the logical one and their resonance with their Drivers ended up flipping the personalities.

Malos's initial personality in TTGC isn't very logical, Malos revels in the destruction he causes while Mythra only serves Addam out of obligation. It's implied that Malos could easily destroy Alrest whenever he wanted, but that would be boring so never used his full power until Mythra awakened the third sword. Amongst other meanings of "Logos", it is also a title for Jesus, so it's hard to tell which meaning is the intended one. The exact hierarchy of the Trinity Processor is never explained, so we don't know whether Ontos was "in charge" or if they all had equal authority over the Conduit.

In Pneuma's case, we can see that Mythra initially has a low opinion on humanity:

• Mythra: You mean, about him [Amalthus]? Let's see... In a word: he seemed very human. Protecting his heart with a mask of lies.
  • Addam: Are you curious what's behind it?
  • Mythra: Not really. Most humans are like that, aren't they?

and

• Addam: Don't you think they're worth saving?
  • Mythra: If you think they are, you know you'll have my aid.
  • Addam: Even if you disagree?
  • Mythra: That's not for the likes of me to decide. It's up to you humans.

But this was shortly after her awakening, and later on it might be less that she's apathetic and more that she doesn't think she belongs with humans, which is how Addam interprets Mythra's unwillingness to interact with others. We can at least see that all three are naturally inclined to obey and/or work with users (Zanza and Shulk, Addam and Rex, and Amalthus and Jin), and in the latter case Malos did what he thought Amalthus wanted him to do, not what Amalthus told him to do.

From what I know, Xenogears also has its own AI collective, but it seems to be mostly controlled by Deus, while fortunately Xenoblade's doomsday weapon doesn't seem to be self-aware.

Giving a character like Sonic a gun isn't even that hard as long as you don't take yourself so damn seriously.

Huh... wasn't actually aware that blue pencil had a name. And naturally it's a Doom reference.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How you worship the divine and work towards moksha can be up to you. Technically, I think this talk of the principles of Hinduism classifies as yoga, jnana yoga- the yoga of thought. Karma yoga is performing acts of charity. Bhakti is a popular form of yoga that consists of devotional worship, of passionately handing oneself over to the divine and letting it fill you, very romantic and even intimate in a way. After all, a popular embodiment of Bhakti worship is Radha embraced by Krishna whom she adores. But it'll actually bring you enlightenment, and hence it is sacrilege to seriously compare Bhakti to an excellent one-night-stand with a partner whose name you forget the morning after, which is worthless carnality. -Yoga as you see is not simply bending over backwards to burn calories as the West commonly conceives it to be nowadays, I would think that meditative flexing of one's body would be an aspect of jnana yoga -although I haven't looked it up.

Bah, the west, ruining everything forever.

So Yoga is actually a term for the expression of worship with the aim of moving further towards moksha, thus returning to Brahman. Alright then.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why would you do that, leave someone in such agony.

(Note to self, do not attempt Wii U emulation for a good while.)

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What's the perceived problem with random encounters again?

Some people prefer to fight on their own terms, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Malos's initial personality in TTGC isn't very logical, Malos revels in the destruction he causes while Mythra only serves Addam out of obligation. It's implied that Malos could easily destroy Alrest whenever he wanted, but that would be boring so never used his full power until Mythra awakened the third sword. Amongst other meanings of "Logos", it is also a title for Jesus, so it's hard to tell which meaning is the intended one. The exact hierarchy of the Trinity Processor is never explained, so we don't know whether Ontos was "in charge" or if they all had equal authority over the Conduit.

In Pneuma's case, we can see that Mythra initially has a low opinion on humanity:

• Mythra: You mean, about him [Amalthus]? Let's see... In a word: he seemed very human. Protecting his heart with a mask of lies.
  • Addam: Are you curious what's behind it?
  • Mythra: Not really. Most humans are like that, aren't they?

and

• Addam: Don't you think they're worth saving?
  • Mythra: If you think they are, you know you'll have my aid.
  • Addam: Even if you disagree?
  • Mythra: That's not for the likes of me to decide. It's up to you humans.

But this was shortly after her awakening, and later on it might be less that she's apathetic and more that she doesn't think she belongs with humans, which is how Addam interprets Mythra's unwillingness to interact with others. We can at least see that all three are naturally inclined to obey and/or work with users (Zanza and Shulk, Addam and Rex, and Amalthus and Jin), and in the latter case Malos did what he thought Amalthus wanted him to do, not what Amalthus told him to do.

From what I know, Xenogears also has its own AI collective, but it seems to be mostly controlled by Deus, while fortunately Xenoblade's doomsday weapon doesn't seem to be self-aware.

Spoiler
14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Malos's initial personality in TTGC isn't very logical, Malos revels in the destruction he causes while Mythra only serves Addam out of obligation.

True but this is after they were awakened. Although if Malos inherited Amalthus' loathing of the world, it does make one wonder why Mythra didn't initially inherit Addam's desire to save it. Maybe Amalthus' influence was simply stronger?