Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Y'all know what to do.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Reveal hidden contents

especially after CS4 made a Joke out of Hamel

Spoiler

Imma be honest, while curse is dumb, I don't think it changes the severity of Hamel. It was still fucked up what happened, the people responsible for it got rightfully executed for it.

Like in my honest opinion, the whole plot point of the curse causing all of Erebonia's fucked up shit could've been handled a lot worse than what I'm seeing. 

But I'll end it there, I'd rather not drag you into a Trails rant haha.

Lightcosmo don't click on that.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Spoiler

he whole plot point of the curse causing all of Erebonia's fucked up shit could've been handled a lot worse than what I'm seeing

Spoiler

It was handled in the worst way possible. Worse than how FE handles Dragons.

Atleast FE dragon's don't ruin 9 games of buildup, and don't fucking hijack another arc and ruin it's conclusion in the 10th game

mini rant for  now

Have you ever gotten into a debate as to whether Shulk and Fiora's appearance in Xenoblade 2's DLC is canon? I haven't, but we can at least infer that they come from after the events of their game, as Monado Boy at one point references a quote said during his game's ending.

Spoiler

ki1DU9v.jpg

QMssaqv.jpg

OCEf1Kb.jpg

Though seeing this scene requires you to both have KOS-MOS and complete Elma: Redux, so it's not surprising if most people haven't seen it.

That aside I'm playing the very first Super Mario Bros., specifically the Super Mario All-Stars version. But that reminds me...

SMW-SMASSMW_Luigi.png

It's a shame the Switch Online version of Super Mario World didn't give Green Mario his own sprites, which were added in a rerelease of All-Stars that also included SMW. Luigi also had unique sprites in Super Mario Advance 2, which was the first 2D Mario I played, and additionally had several other gameplay differences from Mario. Maybe I can find my cartridge and play it again one day...

Edited by Lightchao42

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

but we can at least infer that they come from after the events of their game, as Monado Boy at one point references a quote said during his game's ending.

one problem with that: Shulk has the Monado in the XB2DLC

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

one problem with that: Shulk has the Monado in the XB2DLC

The Nopon Archsage can summon people through time and space, so making a new Monado for Shulk should be easy for him. He even writes Xenoblade fanfics too, which is a sign of great power.

The Archsage may also be the reason why Fiora is one of the best Blades in the game, despite her having no special powers or abilities in canon.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Miracles do happen @Interdimensional Observer

Baten Kaitos fanart on the timeline. Absolutely based.

I'll settle almost any fanart for the old duology -with some *ahem* extreme exceptions.

Now let me see what Monolith could do with the rights and documents back from Namco for BK3. Its present resources and experience could make a world of difference.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

But the game isn't translated, right?

Neither is Gloria Union, and it looks like Yggdra Unison might have merely a menu translation. Unison reading about it is a real-time strategy loose retelling of Yggdra Union.

Therefore, since you've tried Gungnir and I've advised against Riviera, the one and only game you could play next, is Knights in the Nightmare!😜 Don't skip on the tutorials now, according to Wikipedia, the game was delayed for two months specifically to improve the tutorials.

46 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Have you ever gotten into a debate as to whether Shulk and Fiora's appearance in Xenoblade 2's DLC is canon? I haven't, but we can at least infer that they come from after the events of their game, as Monado Boy at one point references a quote said during his game's ending.

Reveal hidden contents

You don't even need to look that far.

Spoiler

One of Fiora's post-battle quotes is her acknowledging what it feels like to have a mechanical body.

Of course, her hair is it's original long length as opposed to keeping it short as shown in FC but FC came after.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

You sir have excellent tastes. I just finished his Bran Mak Morn stories, and I’m already looking to read either his El Borak, Dark Agnes or Steven Costigan stories next.

Robert E. Howard left quite a trove of characters and tales across genres. Speaking of Bran Mak Morn, the related poem "A Song of the Race" may less involve Morn himself and more the origins of the Picts, but it's quite a memorable little piece of prose. But of course one shouldn't neglect the cases where Howard never produced a series of tales. Almuric, while conceptually similar a concept to Edgar  Rice Burroughs' John Carter, provided us the very distinct Esau Cairn as a protagonist. Whereas John Carter was very much a man of two worlds, Cairn's nature distinctly made him more suited to his adoptive planet than the (at the time of writing) modern day Earth. While his adventures on Almuric never became a series (at least not truly, even if there was a speculative sequel by Roy Thomas produced through Dark Horse comics), it was a memorable tale in it's own right.

Then there's the stories that could have never became true series. Take "The Thing on the Roof". Very much a distinct short story in the horror genre. It would have been hard to make a continuation without taking away from the air of mystery that characterizes the tale in the first place. An error I feel becomes a little too common in many of Hollywood's horror films. Man's greatest fear is often what he cannot comprehend. You put too much explanation behind something, and you rob it of the aura of menace needed to actually have it be a threat. Familiarity is the greatest adversary of fear.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What's the perceived issue against Riviera now?

I'm the only one who has spoken about it, and I've advised against it. On grounds that it would likely be too jagged. To go stalactite-by-stalagmite.:

• Limited inventory. Which can be broken down as follows:
    • Only 4 items can be brought per battle. A little too little? I thought so.
    • A limit of what 16 items in your inventory at any time total? Too small.
    • Durability, combined with the sometimes random content of chests. You could possibly go an entire chapter without picking up the latest bow or rapier.
  • Exploration:
    • Too many QTEs. Often holding stuff behind them or averting negative effects if you succeed.
    • Tying the number of points you get for inspecting things to battle rank. And the two factors that comprise rank, are turn count if the fight was ended with an Overskill, and what level that Overskill was. It may make fights feel bothersome for some if you always aim for the best rank.
    • The point-and-click nature to all areas is unusual for the JRPG genre.
  • Not being able to choose who your weapons will target, nor who your heals will pick. You do get to see the rules behind who an item will target, but this could still be bothersome to some.
  • Dating sim/harem aspect. Although Ein is a sweet boy, not a philandering perv unless you choose to be one, that is a good thing.
    • And here I must speak of them. Those, thankfully optional and easy to skip if you don't want to see them, bath scenes. They are forever imprinted in my mind. I'm not sure I was even a teenager when I first laid eyes on them, I had never seen such fanservice before, and quite possibly not since. Whenever the game is mentioned or I think of it again, these CGs resurface as clear as day.

Top it all off with a story and world that are inoffensive and secondary at best, to the simple adventure of a cheery young man and four distinct happy anime girls.

I'm not going to say Riviera: The Promised Land is a bad game, but it's a JRPG that is an acquired taste. One which I also feel might've been limited by its origins on the WonderSwan Color -Albeit the WSC was a portable capable of hosting solid old FFIV in remake form.

Riviera's many unique facets do make for a cohesive whole. You can't blindly expand the item limit per battle without undermining the whole edifice of how the game is supposed to be, any modifications would have to be carefully made. And provided you don't save abuse, the QTEs and random chests, alongside a score system, do provide incentives to play the game again in an arcade-esque way, as do the slightly different endings based on the girls' affection levels. Yet, cohesion does not make for mass appeal, all it does it make it more palatable for whoever crawls into this niche.

I wouldn't mind a gameplay spiritual successor to Riviera, but there are things I'd definitely want changed about it.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

yMA6O8y.png

Gaiden swamps 2: Electric boogaloo

What, no commentary about Monica and Canaan?

I'd say, it was interesting how the game seemed to portray her as literally the poor man's Yggdra. Which, of course, means she wasn't going to win this one.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What, no commentary about Monica and Canaan?

I already said earlier with how the game went all ''OVER OUR DEAD BODIES'' when it comes to imperial civilians.

It was definetly interesting, and showing how we aren't always just, and how war is hell. ''Justice prevailed?'' screens tho

Also Royals going ''heavy propaganda'' made me think of some unsavory examples irl. Although tbf the imperials are the one who started the war, if they still support it...

And seems we have more civilians to kill. But not today. Don't wanna deal with Swamps

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I already said earlier with how the game went all ''OVER OUR DEAD BODIES'' when it comes to imperial civilians.

It was definetly interesting, and showing how we aren't always just, and how war is hell. ''Justice prevailed?'' screens tho

Also Royals going ''heavy propaganda'' made me think of some unsavory examples irl. Although tbf the imperials are the one who started the war, if they still support it...

And seems we have more civilians to kill. But not today. Don't wanna deal with Swamps

Well, going more in-depth, but yeah, did saw that.

Yeah, it's fleshed out more in Blaze Union the whole thing. But yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that at least in the current war Bronquia was the first aggressor.

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yMA6O8y.png

Gaiden swamps 2: Electric boogaloo

Now that I think about it, does desert being a chore to get through make perfect sense for battle?

How often have the IRL desert battlefields been near the giant, undulating and shifting sand dunes? Those I can understand making war difficult, but flatter swathes of desert? 

Otherwise, the major challenges of desert are: whipping sands being blinding and painful, strong heat, lack of water, getting lost, almost none of which you can easily replicate in an SRPG.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, I've seen those. Tsk. I'd say, as a kid I think the "worst" I saw was FFX-2's Hot Springs scene, haha.

Yeah, I know that is an incredibly personal issue, they probably wouldn't affect anyone else like I.😆 But I felt like I had to mention them anyhow.

As a kid, which is when I played Riviera, I did a bunch of playthroughs, but rarely went beyond the first chapter. I think the game's rigidity got to be a turnoff.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But yeah, one thing to keep in mind is that at least in the current war Bronquia was the first aggressor.

Inb4 Yggdra's grandfather pulled a Chrom father and went on a massacre on Bronquia. Will probably know something on a couple of days.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Otherwise, the major challenges of desert are: whipping sands being blinding and painful, strong heat, lack of water, getting lost, almost none of which you can easily replicate in an SRPG.

Hence why most games probably replicate it by slowing the gameplay down to a halt.

I have an idea on how to cheese the poison map. Just giving Yggdra the Wings equipment and then let her nuke everything in existence. I am not joking. I hate dealing with maps like this

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Inb4 Yggdra's grandfather pulled a Chrom father and went on a massacre on Bronquia. Will probably know something on a couple of days.

Actually, I'm not sure if it's told here. Even the stuff with Bly was added in the PSP remake, so even in the original GBA version it wasn't something they dwelled on.

Blaze Union totally did, however.

Game: let's annoy the player with Swamps

Me:

butdlTv.png
12KDJx6.png

Angel of Destruction Yggdra. She cleared all enemies in the Swamp in one turn.

Thank god i somehow found the flying shoes

Edited by Shrimperor

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Wait, why are you killing civilians?