Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Actually, Gunnulf died for Tryggvi, the people I saved when crossing the canyon in the second game, the people I saved with the barrels at the fight in the second game, really anyone who died because I learned not to be greedy the hard way. Gunnulf did a great thing for the party. The character who really died for no reason was Folka.

Hide contents

Ohhh! I completely forgot you could choose to wait for Juno at Sigrholm. I was confused when Eyvind brought that up because he made it sound like I didn’t wait at all and the first option was “but we did wait”. I’m guessing I did since that was there, but I honestly don’t temper what I chose there, it feels like an eternity I go.

Yeah, I guess I had quite a few “convince points” from saving the baby, saving the witch, saving the stoneslinger and apparently waiting at Sigrholm. I also got rid of all my supplies at the beginning of the second game so he wouldn’t die, but maybe a side effect of literally conjuring a land bridge is amnesia.

See my main conflict was what the text in my game said, something like “Eyvind looks like he’s convinced” or something like that, because that made me think I was just supposed to trust him and the Juno line would be overboard, and could either make the serpent so tired of being ignored that it would attack, or make him go “You we’re doing this for the world, not Juno!!!1!!!!11!!1!” or something. Luckily I decided to go for it instead of trusting him.

Spoiler

1st box: hahahaha... Well, whatever helps you sleep at night.

...or not, in Folka's case. Hey, at least it made for a pretty funny moment with her heroic title.

2nd box: if you were unsure, imagine me, staring at the "Eyvind looks partially convinced" text and thinking "fuck what now? Do I go for it? Do I not? Shitshitshitshit"

Gotta say, it's a shame Eyvind wasn't there to witness the end of Ludin's development. Might've made him rethink his whole "mankind is rotten" perspective.

Now go change your pfp to Ludin.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Do I want to know what guro is?

You know, believe it or not, I actually don't know either.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I never saw it myself.

I saw it once.

That's... Also the full extent of what I remember about it. It's a deeply unmemorable movie.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There were a few instances of genericization in in the 3DS updates of Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story. Which I could see as being grounds for concern.

Paper Jam also had issues, but that could have been solely because of the PM half of the equation, hard to say.

Right... I mean, the problem here is that Alpha Dream died, so we don't knlw where it would've gone.

Shame, too. I liked that series better than Paper Mario. Oh, well.

@Saint Rubenio

Spoiler

What happens if you run out of days and trips to Aberrang at the end of Banner Saga 3, before reaching the tower? Do you eat another bad ending, or does the game just say “now reset”?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, I was so focused on Bow Luigi that I failed to notice Mario akimbo-wielding pistols.

Mario but realistic.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nintendo just doesn't understand that gimmicky combat systems without meaningful rewards don't work.

There's a shit ton of Nintendo games.....nay, games in general where the only reward for doing combat is that the enemy stops breathing and money.

But for some reason people only seem to have an issue with it in Paper Mario 

Screenshot_20180919-080920_1.jpg

In Sticker Star's case, the lack of "meaningful reward" was never the issue. No, the issue was that the combat just sucked ass.

Origami King's combat actually is pretty fun and satisfying to pull off (so long as the puzzles are more complex and not "shift one to the right").

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

never saw it myself.

You ain't missing much honestly.

Also while we're on the subject, I never got the hype about Titanic either. I get that the film was revolutionary for the time and there is of course, historical interest in the sinking of the Titanic......but at the end of the day, the movie is just another disaster movie and I never liked those. Disaster movies just exist for shock value and nothing more.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Origami King's combat actually is pretty fun and satisfying to pull off

while i agree, after a while i just started skipping battles, because of the fact that there're no rewards, or that you don't get any new attacks either. It's always jump or hammer.

Boss battles were kino, but normal battles after a while where ''why should i even bother''. I loved Origami king if you remember, but the way they handled normal battles leaves alot to be desired.

Edited by Shrimperor

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's a shit ton of Nintendo games.....nay, games in general where the only reward for doing combat is that the enemy stops breathing and money.

Because in RPGs, your reward shouldn't just be coins, cards, or other mostly meaningless items. Experience offers the best sense of progression. Other Nintendo series don't have that issue because most Nintendo series aren't RPGs.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In Sticker Star's case, the lack of "meaningful reward" was never the issue. No, the issue was that the combat just sucked ass.

It was both. Combat was a bore, and you never actually gained anything from it.

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

while i agree, after a while i just starting skipping battles, because of the fact that there're no rewards, or that you don't get any new attacks either. It's always jump or hammer.

I kept doing it because it was just fun to do.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Because in RPGs, your reward shouldn't just be coins, cards, or other mostly meaningless items.

I would argue that Paper Mario stopped being an RPG after Thousand Year Door.

I have achieved full recruitment. (In Berwick)

Spoiler

Seeing the character grid aligned is pretty nice, NGL.

I also finished the collection and got everything at the alchemist.

Edited by Robert Stewart

29 minutes ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio

Hide contents

What happens if you run out of days and trips to Aberrang at the end of Banner Saga 3, before reaching the tower? Do you eat another bad ending, or does the game just say “now reset”?

Ah right, I should've addressed this.

Spoiler

You can continue and get the same bad endings... However, if you convince Eyvind, the Ravens return to find Arberrang destroyed by the darkness. Though they neutralized the menace, it was too late to save the world. So now all they can do is lay down and wait to die. Whoops.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As far as I recall, the rral issue people had with Sticker Star was that attacks were limited, so random combat was actively detrimental, as you gained nothing and lost attacks to use on the relevant battles.

2 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

I have achieved full recruitment. (In Berwick)

Hide contents

gsdx_20210612174203.jpg.63d2585cc11bcc625235493e699660e8.jpg

Seeing the character grid aligned is pretty nice, NGL.

I also finished the collection and got everything at the alchemist.

gsdx_20210612173221.jpg.67effa76eb352e2512e8840bf56ceaf1.jpg

gsdx_20210612173729.jpg.3356c69bd15d5069f4291d1a5c3eb0ab.jpg

Holy shit, way to go! It does look rpetty nice with all the characters like that.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I would argue that Paper Mario stopped being an RPG after Thousand Year Door.

And that's partially why the series has no focus, no vision. That, and Nintendo is afraid of creativity in their writing.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

That, and Nintendo is afraid of creativity in their writing

Origami's king plot and original characters weren't bad at all actually.

Olivia is kino

Problem with the writing is... the lack of diversity. In old Paper mario games you had all these colorful party members and variations.

In Origami King i wanted to go on Toad Genocide

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I kept doing it because it was just fun to do.

and Boss battles were much more fun, so i just skipped the repititive rewardless battles.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Origami's king plot and original characters weren't bad at all actually.

Olivia is kino

Fair enough. I haven't played that one, so I can't speak to it specifically.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Problem with the writing is... the lack of diversity. In old Paper mario games you had all these colorful party members and variations.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

In Origami King i wanted to go on Toad Genocide

Same but with Sticker Star and Color Splash.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As far as I recall, the rral issue people had with Sticker Star was that attacks were limited, so random combat was actively detrimental,

Yeah that's why it was ass.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

And that's partially why the series has no focus, no vision.

Ehhh. It's clear that they want to keep trying different things and that's not a bad thing on paper.

It's really just the execution that they keep having issues on.

Paper Mario doesn't need to be an RPG to be good as was proven by both Super and Origami King.

26 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Because in RPGs, your reward shouldn't just be coins, cards, or other mostly meaningless items. Experience offers the best sense of progression. Other Nintendo series don't have that issue because most Nintendo series aren't RPGs.

To this, I'd add a caveat. Experience is good progression -if it increases horizontal improvement, or, if it forces you to choose between horizontal improvement and vertical improvement, or forces you to choose how to vertically improve.

"Horizontal improvement" is expanding your options. "Vertical improvement" is bigger stats, and the same abilities you have but stronger with no other changes. I'd say all forms of progression in games boil down to one or the other.

Vertical improvement on its own can be meaningful and fun -who doesn't like collecting Pieces of Heart in Zelda? But straightforward vertical progression alone can be boring and at times questionable. Some games beg the question of "why does RPG leveling exist here?".

13 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Same but with Sticker Star and Color Splash.

You know, I had considered Color Splash, but skipped it because Sticker Star reservations, how was it?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Is an rpg tho

Not turn based, but an rpg

I'd consider an (easy) action-platformer with sorta-awkward RPG elements. That might fit it better

Because, SPM is one of those aforementioned games where you can ask "why does EXP exist?".

Is Aegina supposed to be really hard to promote?

End of chapter 12 and she's still not close to her wind skill threshold for promoting. :thonk:

Edited by Robert Stewart

2 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

gsdx_20210612191152.jpg.876d3f44e8144cb0e56e941f82ce2623.jpg

End of chapter 12 and she's still not close to her wind skill threshold for promoting. :thonk:

Yeah that's normal

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You know, I had considered Color Splash, but skipped it because Sticker Star reservations, how was it?

It was fine. They tried to give it a bit more personality and better writing than Sticker Star, but it ultimately fell flat since the world was filled with so many Toad NPCs and the overall plot was just not interesting enough.

The gameplay was bland and gimmicky as well. I got bored enough with it that I stopped playing in the latter half of it.

52 minutes ago, Armagon said:

but at the end of the day, the movie is just another disaster movie and I never liked those. Disaster movies just exist for shock value and nothing more.

B-but... isn't Godzilla basically a series of disaster movies? At least the first, 1984, and Shin Godzilla should be, since Godzilla doesn't fight another monster in those.

I guess Godzilla 1998 could be considered a more standard disaster movie, but even Rugrats in Paris is a better Godzilla movie than G98.

29 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Is an rpg tho

Not turn based, but an rpg

Yeah, like Observer said, it's really more of a platformer that just has some RPG elements.

Otherwise, by that logic, Azure Striker Gunvolt is an RPG simply because it has EXP.

14 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

B-but... isn't Godzilla basically a series of disaster movies? At least the first, 1984, and Shin Godzilla should be, since Godzilla doesn't fight another monster in those.

Yeah but these movies have fantasy elements into it so it's fine.

I mean, you could argue some disaster movies fall in the realm of fantasy rather than something realistically possible but eh, Godzilla has enough to set it apart from that genre.

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah right, I should've addressed this.

Hide contents

You can continue and get the same bad endings... However, if you convince Eyvind, the Ravens return to find Arberrang destroyed by the darkness. Though they neutralized the menace, it was too late to save the world. So now all they can do is lay down and wait to die. Whoops.

They really did think of everything huh? The devs are great.

23 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

gsdx_20210612191152.jpg.876d3f44e8144cb0e56e941f82ce2623.jpg

Classic Aegina.

It's really unfortunate for her too, considering she can really use that magic boost from her promotion.