• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Sadly in Critical mode, MP regeneration time is cult in half, meaning in need to wait around 1 whole minute before I can start healing/spellcasting. Unfortunate drawback that i dont like to deal with, lol.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

you could've just youtube'd, no?

I mean i could've but there is a certain vibe you get from actually playing a game that can't be recreated by watching a playthrough.

Besides, it's not like i disliked the combat or thought it was actually bad. It just wasn't what i wanted coming from Eternal Wings.

But yeah, if you're ever in the mood for more Monolith Soft and want multi-protags, check out Baten Kaitos. Or most of their library actually, Monolith Soft seems to like doing dual-protags a lot.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But yeah, if you're ever in the mood for more Monolith Soft and want multi-protags, check out Baten Kaitos. Or most of their library actually, Monolith Soft seems to like doing dual-protags a lot.

what scares me from them is their gameplay pre-XBC honestly.

Doesn't look like i something i can enjoy gameplaywise

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

*Whistle*

That last post in the Historical Hot Takes thread really shows they definitely don't live in the US...

You’d be surprised. Very, very surprised.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

what scares me from them is their gameplay pre-XBC honestly.

Doesn't look like i something i can enjoy gameplaywise

Well judging from what i know of your tastes

• Xenogears has random encounters so that's instantly RIP
  • Xenosaga Episode I is kinda weaker gameplay-wise than Xenogears but doesn't have random encounters. Although what might kill it for you is the near total lack of music.
  • Playing Xenosaga Episode II is the worst kind of torture there is also random encounters lmao.
  • Xenosaga Episode III has aged quite well. It's the best of the pre-Blade Xenos and it's even got some Trails-esque mechanics in how you can cut in line in the turn order and take some bonuses for yourself (the other Xenosagas do this as well but their combat is nowhere near as good). 
  • Both Baten Kaitos games are card-based RPGs, not sure how you feel about those. Eternal Wings is good, if flawed, but i liked the freedom. Origins' combat is simple but kinda more restrictive comparatively.
  • Namco x Capcom quickly devolves into tedium, it's why i dropped it.
  • Project X Zone 1 is cool although mid-game and onwards definitely artificially drags (i struggle to complete maps in one sitting at times). It's probably the most fun 6/10 game i've played tho (the PxZs are post-XBC).
  • Haven't played Endless Frontier duology but that's got random encounters so RIP.

As for Soma Bringer, Disaster: Day of Crisis and Project X Zone 2, haven't played these yet, i know @Interdimensional Observer has played Soma Bringer so perhaps he can tell you a bit more. Although from the recent test run i did, it did remind me of Ys 7 (not in boss fight length lol).

Disaster seems like the anti-Monolith Soft game tho, so i'm avoiding it. 

Well, as I mentioned I'd think about, I think I'll finally upload something again to my Fanfiction.net account.

>Tries to go into the New Story section
>Is told hasn't accepted Content Guidelines
>They were last updated in 2008

Welp. That happens when I don't use to upload stuff in... almost ever, heh...

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I live practically next door, so yep.

You live next to the good part.

People debate the cause(s) of the civil war and whether or not people should fly the confederate flag, which some people in the south do.

Edited by Sooks

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Both Baten Kaitos games are card-based RPGs,

it really depends on how the Cards are used. Like Yggdra Union i really liked, for example

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Fire Emblem

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

it really depends on how the Cards are used. Like Yggdra Union i really liked, for example

It's uh.....actually, i think it's best for you to watch a vid.

• Eternal Wings combat (i placed a timeskip to avoid spoilers also it's in Spanish also enjoy the shitty English voice acting)
  • Origins combat (don't watch past 3:15, it skips to the final dungeon)

This is just vids tho, like a lot of RPGs, watching vids =/= actually playing it for yourself. 

Edit:

LMAO Heihachi.

Edited by Armagon

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i know @Interdimensional Observer has played Soma Bringer so perhaps he can tell you a bit more.

I thought it was a fundamentally solid Action RPG, not the greatest title, but it would've been a pleasant light distraction back in the day.

I feel the game would've been more fun with co-op as the game was intended, but obviously emulation can't do that. I also made the mistake of picking the Kampf(?) class and running a sword and shield with healing magic, which is very safe, but boring. The NG+ only Hard or Very Hard difficulties with a more offensive-oriented class could be challenging and fun. The Soma (mage) class is probably hindered by a lack of co-op on the higher difficulties, you can't really leave the AI to distract the enemy for you as you stand still casting spells.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean i could've but there is a certain vibe you get from actually playing a game that can't be recreated by watching a playthrough.

Not to mention the 4-part no-commentary longplay of BKO I found skipped on reading the letters or taking to NPCs. Neither is truly mandatory, but the little things can add to the experience if you're of a certain mind.

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

• Xenosaga Episode III has aged quite well. It's the best of the pre-Blade Xenos and it's even got some Trails-esque mechanics in how you can cut in line in the turn order and take some bonuses for yourself (the other Xenosagas do this as well but their combat is nowhere near as good).

XS III doesnt have turn bonuses, only the first two do.

Screenshot_3741.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3742.png?width=769&height=432

Hey Vashyron, imma have to ask you to keep it in your pants. I know that's really hard for you but just try ok.

Screenshot_3743.png?width=769&height=432

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I feel the game would've been more fun with co-op as the game was intended, but obviously emulation can't do that.

I did not know it had co-op. Interesting.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not to mention the 4-part no-commentary longplay of BKO I found skipped on reading the letters or taking to NPCs. Neither is truly mandatory, but the little things can add to the experience if you're of a certain mind.

Yeah, a lot of playthrough, even 100% runs, just focus on doing that and not looking at the little things that improve the experience.

Chuggaconroy seems to be the exception. If the man ever does let's plays on the Baten Kaitos games, i know he can do them justice.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

XS III doesnt have turn bonuses, only the first two do.

Are you sure? Because i know it has the Boost mechanic, wouldn't make sense for it to be there if there were no turn bonuses.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

LMAO Heihachi.

I can't believe Heihachi is a Firefly fan.

Actually, this video accurately describes Heihachi's relationship with his son. And his grandson... and his father... and his wife...

Edited by Lightchao42

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Are you sure? Because i know it has the Boost mechanic, wouldn't make sense for it to be there if there were no turn bonuses.

Yep, it does have BG though your right on that. 

It does not have turn bonuses though. I am 100% sure on that. game would be hard af if it did though! 

Edit: the specials go off of the players BG, along with turn skips, and you can have up to 10? BG with all the BG boost accessories. Enemies max out at 6 i think. 

Edited by lightcosmo