Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I can't believe Heihachi is a Firefly fan.

Ok that might legitimately be a reference.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yep, it does have BG though your right on that. 

It does not have turn bonuses though. I am 100% sure on that. game would be hard af if it did though! 

Edit: the specials go off of the players BG, along with turn skips, and you can have up to 10? BG with all the BG boost accessories. Enemies max out at 6 i think. 

I looked up a vid. You're right.

But i'm also right in saying it's Trails-esque, as the Boost mechanic would realistically bring about some strategizing with the turn orders.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I did not know it had co-op. Interesting.

Although it doesn't cite any sources, Wikipedia claims Takahashi wanted Soma Bringer to be a multiplayer experience almost from the start. -After changing its planned genre from JRPG to Action RPG due to technical reasons that is.

Up to three players going at it together sounds like it could've been fun. Local wireless play only, no WiFi sadly, that was still in its early days for Nintendo systems, and probably for America at large. Japan is ~1/3rd the pop of the US in a total area a little smaller than California,  so finding fellow players in the flesh was probably easier (and that would've helped pre-Gen 4 Pokemon).

This ought to explain why the story starts with the heroes as a group, so that Soma Bringer can justify multiplayer from the start. And it's why you can get weapons and armor that you can't use from chests. You're supposed to leave behind the loot you want other players to get/that you can't use.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok that might legitimately be a reference.

I think I heard once long ago that the localizers juiced up Xiaomu's dialogue with additional references to emphasize her Otaku nature in PxZ2. Whether the localizers inserted their additional references in PxZ1 and for characters other than Xiaomu, I do not know. But, it sounds like this is a game where more jokes is entirely fine and not in any major way undermining the game, so it's plausible.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I looked up a vid. You're right.

But i'm also right in saying it's Trails-esque, as the Boost mechanic would realistically bring about some strategizing with the turn orders.

Yup.

This is very true! Turn skipping bosses when you know a deadly attack is coming or when they are going to grt broken can be crucial. Also turn skipping to heal yourself. 

Turn skipping and using specific specials to break or deal massive damage is an amazing tactic as well. I agree that its got tons of potential for strwtegy, sadly rhat didnt involve the turn bonuses. 

Oh and most importantly, skipping an enemy boost with your own. Late game, thats a neccesity. 

Always hang on to at least one BG, always. You never know when an enemy might just wipe you out.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Because VC4 map design was just kino

Didn't notice this earlier, but are you justifying the final fight against that topside radiator tank? Where was I supposed to keep safe from Cry Me A Frozen River? I cheesed it on turn 1.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Adol/Dana

Does this truly count as dual protagonists? Adol is the silent rock who gathers no lasting moss as he drifts from game to game, while Dana gets all the development. I like Dana, and Adol is fine, he frees Dana from the burden of ever having to show up again -and thus it justifies her getting everything in Ys VIII- but it's still grossly uneven.

Screenshot_3758.png?width=769&height=432

Because i said so Juri.

Screenshot_3759.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3760.png?width=769&height=432

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Up to three players going at it together sounds like it could've been fun. Local wireless play only, no WiFi sadly, that was still in its early days for Nintendo systems, and probably for America at large. Japan is ~1/3rd the pop of the US in a total area a little smaller than California,  so finding fellow players in the flesh was probably easier

Also the fact that the game never released outside of Japan.

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh and most importantly, skipping an enemy boost with your own. Late game, thats a neccesity. 

Always hang on to at least one BG, always. You never know when an enemy might just wipe you out.

*Testament flashbacks*

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Didn't notice this earlier, but are you justifying the final fight against that topside radiator tank? Where was I supposed to keep safe from Cry Me A Frozen River? I cheesed it on turn 1.

I don't think i've met anyone who's done that map the legitimate way. Cause that map is just begging to be cheesed.

Aside from that one though and maybe a few other shitters i'm forgetting, i do agree that VC4 generally has pretty sweet map design.

.....OH FUCK, I FORGOT TO TAKE DOWN THE WASP HIVE! Brb.

I have eliminated the wasp hives. Yes, hives, plural. Turns out there were three of these demon spawners, one near the entrance to my apartment and the other two on the other end of the apartment. So i took my trusty wasp spray and killed them. Not just the men but the women and the children too.

Maybe this time the wasps will learn that their actions have consequences.

LeaSadist.png

Edited by Armagon

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Though if you already read it at the Writing thread, then practically nothing new to see.

Aye. I quite liked the direction you took with the prompt.

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

This is the most casualties i've had on any map. Nemesis and his goonies were surprisingly tough.

Yuri and Estelle are gonna avenge tho so it's fine.

S.T.A.R.S. ...! Though amusingly I think it actually changes the cry when it's pointed out the RE characters no longer work for STARS...

Screenshot_3772.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3773.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3774.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3775.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_3776.png?width=769&height=432

Geo-Fortress? More like, Bad-Fortress.

I couldn't think of a joke.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

S.T.A.R.S. ...! Though amusingly I think it actually changes the cry when it's pointed out the RE characters no longer work for STARS...

Correct. When you beat him the second time, he changes his cry to "B.S.A.A" (that was the organization, right).

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Correct. When you beat him the second time, he changes his cry to "B.S.A.A" (that was the organization, right).

Yep, BSAA. To be fair, Nemesis is no common monster, after all.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, moving officially almost done. So there.

Congrats! I hope you don’t have to do it anymore, I know moving a lot sucks a lot.

29 minutes ago, Benice said:

Aye. I quite liked the direction you took with the prompt.

I'm tempted to turn it into a multi-chapter story, heh. But well, I'm caught up writing countless others things as well.

Imma keep it real with you Monolith Soft

Screenshot_3781.png

This is the worst map you've designed in this game. Lmao nope, i ain't doing this tonight. Probably won't beat it for like two days either, what the hell is this.

This is Turn 2 btw, the map just started.

Edited by Armagon

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I actually did it legit 😛

Well, on rematch/hard mode for True ending i cheesed it as well

I won't say it's amazing or anything, especially since it's just VC1 ch7 reskinned, but it wasn't super bad.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Adol is the silent rock who gathers no lasting moss as he drifts from game to game

Adol has beem getting more characterization game by game, and in Ys 8 he is pretty emotional, expressive and interactive for a "silent protag". When you play all the games you do get a character for him. He was also pretty well characterized through Dana herself in her sections.

Adol and Dana are both protags of Ys 8, even if Dana gets most the developmemt, they interact with each other (and reflect each other) that i count them as dual protag.

Edited by Shrimperor