• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Nah, all of my SF friends I still talk to are on Discord. I'm online here at the moment because I'm bored.

I see. I've never bothered to head over there.

... perhaps it might be time now...

@Armagon Against my better judgment, considering how it went last time, I have listened to your recommendation. I'm now playing Metroid Fusion. I'm a bit lost in the plot, probably a side effect of starting with the 4th game in the franchise after basically never playing a Metroid game in my life, but it did start to catch my attention when I took that one elevator. That was pretty good.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

@Armagon Against my better judgment, considering how it went last time, I have listened to your recommendation. I'm now playing Metroid Fusion. I'm a bit lost in the plot, probably a side effect of starting with the 4th game in the franchise after basically never playing a Metroid game in my life, but it did start to catch my attention when I took that one elevator. That was pretty good.

Eh, it's alright. Metroid hasn't been that story heavy, and not much of Fusion is that dependent on having played the earlier games outside knowing on certain why's of things, but on its own it stands well.

Or maybe I'm bias since Fusion was the first Metroid game I played... and only one so far, come to think of it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, it's alright. Metroid hasn't been that story heavy, and not much of Fusion is that dependent on having played the earlier games outside knowing on certain why's of things, but on its own it stands well.

Or maybe I'm bias since Fusion was the first Metroid game I played... and only one so far, come to think of it.

Yeah, outside of Samus reminiscing about some guy called Adam, it has been pretty self-explanatory. 'Sides, plot's not what I'm here for anyway.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, outside of Samus reminiscing about some guy called Adam, it has been pretty self-explanatory. 'Sides, plot's not what I'm here for anyway.

It's alright. This is the first game Adam is mentioned anyway, so even if you have played the earlier games, you'd be as wondering about that as everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Vmdspkn9 o

Sooo uhhh... Did the game just troll me, or is there some high jump bomb technique that I'm missing here?

Metroid 101: When in doubt, bomb everything. And I do mean everything. Every game tile, at least those near walls or floor.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

What the fuck.

You bomb a random part of the floor, and a dick comes out of the ground to help you up.

I spammed bombs are one point, but I just happened to miss that part of the floor.

Good game design, right there.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What the fuck.

You bomb a random part of the floor, and a dick comes out of the ground to help you up.

I spammed bombs are one point, but I just happened to miss that part of the floor.

Metroid isnt about simply whats obvious, thats the idea. Its not always straightforward, I wouldnt say thats bad game design, making the player try different things.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Metroid isnt about simply whats obvious, thats the idea. Its not always straightforward, I wouldnt say thats bad game design, making the player try different things.

Hmm. Well, that's fair enough, I suppose. I guess I'm just not used to bombs being the multipurpose tool to end all multipurpose tools. I'll keep it in mind from here on.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Here we go again...

Sorry, I can't help it.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Downloading Ys: Memories of Ceceta on PS4!

ayy enjoy!

1 hour ago, DodgeDusk said:

Trails/Kiseki music got posted and I came online. Coincedence? I think not.

so that's how to summon you!

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hmm. Well, that's fair enough, I suppose. I guess I'm just not used to bombs being the multipurpose tool to end all multipurpose tools. I'll keep it in mind from here on.

I think that would be a good idea.

In a way, this is the game telling you, "Hey, now that you experimented with bombing every game tile to get out of this pit, do mind you might have to do this again in the future". The bombing every tile thing, at least.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'd say, he can post a map of any given area, and I could likely be able to tell if he has missed out on some Energy/Missile upgrades on that alone.

In retrospect, I probably should've thought to use the tool I just got on the floor instead of trying once, discarding the whole idea and then proceeding to waste two minutes trying to perform a midair bomb hop before angrily consulting a playthrough.

But the smart, patient way isn't the way of an accomplished tactician such as myself.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What the fuck.

I won't lie, this was pretty dumb. Metroid occasionally has those moments where you just go ?????? but it's only really bad in Super Metroid and Prime 1.

Fusion has two other moments that made me go ????? but they're far apart. Other than that, the game is very straightforward, to the point that some fans kinda don't like it as much.

Considering that's past the point you have used bombs to destroy blocks, it's hardly dumb. You easily go, "Oh, maybe I have to bomb the floor or wall to open up a tunnel or so". Then you try that and see the pillar rise up instead. It's very straightforward.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering that's past the point you have used bombs to destroy blocks, it's hardly dumb. You easily go, "Oh, maybe I have to bomb the floor or wall to open up a tunnel or so". Then you try that and see the pillar rise up instead. It's very straightforward.

Well in this specific case, you could be off by a pixel and it wouldn't trigger. At least the breakable blocks are more generous with the hitboxes.