Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Veqngeap o

B E R W I C K

I know for a fact that this hack's creator knew about Berwick Saga, so it's quite likely that this is a reference. I knew I liked this game for a reason!

I'm such a nerd about Berwick that one of the few things I can actually understand in Japanese is the characters for "Clouds of War."

Though TBF there's also Clouds of War II in the Vestaria Soundtrack and HSoS Ch20 being named "Clouds of War"

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

It's time to proceed with parents visit + travel plans i have been wanting to do for ~1.5 years now! 

Tuesday it's time!

Save travels, Shrimpy! Hope you enjoy it!

Metroid Prime 2 review:

Metroid Prime 2 is an overall improvement over Metroid Prime 1 that forgets it's an overall improvement halfway through the game. Let me explain. The biggest improvement this game did is cut down heavily on the backtracking. Each area on Aether is connected to each other, as opposed to Tallon IV in the first game where areas weren't connected to each other. As such, the moments when you did have to backtrack were nowhere near as bad, also the fact that they just happened less. During the first half of the game, the game is actually pretty clear on where you have to go which makes sense given this is a post-Fusion game. The introduction to the Luminoth was a very nice addition to the Metroid universe and i really do like that for once, Samus is actually able to save someone. Samus' story is one of loneliness and even the few friends she does make end up dying. But in this game at least, she actually does get to save lives (even if it wasn't the lives she was originally meant to go save).

The game is basically Metroid: A Link to the Past/Between Worlds and Dark Aether made for an interesting environment. Constantly having to stay in safe zones was a unique choice although i can't say Dark Aether's atmosphere is that much of a threat. Not only do Safe Zones heal you but they're everywhere. This is understandable tho, otherwise the Dark Aether segments wouldn't be as fun to go through.

.....around the halfway point is when this game starts running into the exact same problems Metroid Prime 1 had: lack of direction and bad boss fights. It starts in Torvus Bog when after getting the Boost Ball, you're supposed to go back to the Temple Grounds and get the Seeker Missile, because only then can you progress through the game. There's no indication that this is what you have to do and even if you turn on the Hint System, the hints come too late because by the time they do hit, you'd have probably been wandering around for 30 minutes (and considering this game came after both Fusion and Zero Mission, the lack of direction is kinda baffling). It also does not help that Torvus Bog is the water level, something Metroid's never been good at. It's particularly bad when you're forced to slog through an underwater section for 20 minutes before you can get the Gravity Suit (or Gravity Boost, in this game). This is also the part of the game that starts getting real cute and locks you into rooms you've already gone through and forces you to fight Space Pirate Commandos. But for once, the water level isn't actually the worst level in a Metroid game.

....Sanctuary Fortress gave me an absolutely miserable time. Rezbits that eat up like three Super Missiles and can hack your suit. Confusing as hell layout. Even more lack of direction and backtracking you aren't told about. Shitty maze puzzles. A barely functioning power-up in the form of the Screw Attack (look how they mascaraed my boy). But hey at least the area itself looks cool and had two cool bosses in the form of the Spider Guardian and Quadraxis.

....what is it with the Prime games having bad bosses, i don't get it? In Prime 2, the final boss of the Agon Wastes that i forget the name of was pretty cool. The Dark Samus fights are also pretty cool. Spider Guardian is a neat concept and Quadraxis is cool. That's it. The rest of the bosses are just annoying non-threatening damage sponges. Like c'mon. Well i should point out i was playing on Normal Mode here but the harder difficulties would've just given the bosses even more sponge and that's not something i needed.

And much like Prime 1, i used an 100% save file to skip the Sky Temple Key hunt because how in God's name do you make the endgame mcguffin hunt even worse than last time? In Prime 1, you're at least given hints as to where they are. In Prime 2, lol. The closest you get is the logs of deceased Luminoth that talk about the keys but give you about as much information as application-based math problems (nothing).

All of this combined with arguably the game's worst decision: ammo-based beams. For some unknown reason, the guys at Retro Studios thought it'd be very funny if Samus' beam upgrades had ammo. They thought it'd be even funnier if the Beam Ammo expansions were really rare. Considering how quickly they drain, all this did was make me not want to use the Light, Dark, and Annihilator beams during combat. Especially that last one since it drains both Light and Dark Ammo. The beams having ammo turned them from cool concepts into the lamest set of brand new abilities for Samus.

Prime 2 isn't a bad game and yes, it is an overall improvement over Prime 1.....when you compare it to Prime 1. Because in the grand scheme of things, the game isn't like, that good. It's just alright and unless Prime 3 ends up being really really good, then i don't understand how 2D vs 3D is even a debate for Metroid. Because as of right now, the Prime games, as fun as they can be at times, are only a mere shadow of 2D Metroid's greatness.

6/10

See you next mission.

36 minutes ago, Spara said:

I'm such a nerd about Berwick that one of the few things I can actually understand in Japanese is the characters for "Clouds of War."

Though TBF there's also Clouds of War II in the Vestaria Soundtrack and HSoS Ch20 being named "Clouds of War"

Hahaha... Well, I'm afraid I haven't gone that far, but then again, I uploaded most of the OST extended to Youtube. I would hope that earns me my Berwick Nerd badge. Each thing took me like 30 minutes, between making the extension, exporting to MP4 and uploading. But it was worth it for Berwick.

That's not the only Berwick reference in Sword of Heaven and Earth, by the way. I'll be sure to post the other one when I get to it.

Skyward sword is big for a non botw Zelda game. I don’t think I’ve ever spent nearly as long exploring an area before a dungeon.

…I’ve been playing for 3 hours.

53 minutes ago, Benice said:

Ain't it 3DS?

It is.

I would also like to flex because I didn't die a single time in any of the games until BotW Master Mode. And then Link's Awakening killed me a lot after that as well.

I’ve already died three times in Skyward Sword.

Congrats, you are a capitalist now!

So the curse of the medal is the curse of capitalism?

Btw, later on, potions become incredibly exploitable. As in, game-breaking. You can drop the medal off at the item check shop if you need to do anything taxing combat-wise. That aside, you'll almost certainly want a shield for most bosses or temples, since shield bash is also an extremely potent tool in your kit.

I don’t know if I’ll need them, 3D Zelda has never been very difficult combat-wise.

At first I was going to use the cursed medal but it only increases the rate for money to spawn when you break things or dig, so the only way it could really take a noticeable effect is if I stopped to grind every pot, patch of grass, etc. and that’s boring so I threw it in the item check. Besides, I made money on my own gambling at the white mole’s mini game.

Edited by Sooks

And I've finally a 3-person team again in FFXIII, it has dragged too long with less, a few stronger enemies were just plain annoying with two. In terms of personality and appearance, Fang is definitely my favorite of the characters, didn't take much screen time for her to do that. Having access to Sentinel again is good, but the aggro Provoke generates doesn't carry over all at as soon as a character leaves the role? Bad idea. Vendetta deals practically nothing in damage too. Lol at "realistic parent with anime child" visual disparity, it took me out of the related scenes somewhat.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

btw, i might become much less active in the coming Months. Well, some times i might be as active as now, while other times i might not be active at all. 

It's time to proceed with parents visit + travel plans i have been wanting to do for ~1.5 years now! 

Tuesday it's time!

Good luck and have fun! You'll always be welcome here!

43 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

:sip: 

When I first glanced at this, I thought it said "best", not "worst", and that you'd lost faith in humanime again.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I found out a little while ago that Prime 3 returns to form and stacks the beams instead of making them independent

I liked the independent beams myself from a flavor perspective, giving Wave and Plasma elemental affinities made them more distinctive. -Although I haven't dealt with MP2's ammo issues.

I don't play FPSes or anything, but going back to beam stacks cuts down on Samus's weaponry. Typical sci-fi FPSes are capable of having an array of at least semi-diverse weapons, Samus caps at four beams + missiles + charge combos (which you'll likely rarely use outside of the Super Missiles). Going back to stacks means she has but two primary weapons.

And thinking about ammo again, maybe it'd be less of a hassle if it automatically recharged? Cooldowns, not ammo pickups? If each weapon has a separate cooldown that happens as the others are being used, then frequent rotation would make the cooldown bearable.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

then i don't understand how 2D vs 3D is even a debate for Metroid. Because as of right now, the Prime games, as fun as they can be at times, are only a mere shadow of 2D Metroid's greatness.

Different strokes for different folks? I don't think I minded MP1's faults as much as you, and maybe it's because I've played 2D Metroid at a slower pace than you? 

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

amthelessthebetter.jpg

RPG logic

Actually, what is this from?

28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It is.

Ye, prolly won't be playing it any time soon, then...

28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

’ve already died three times in Skyward Sword.

tbf, Twilight Princess has only one or two death-inducing spots, and I've played both Wind Waker and Skyward Sword many times. I even got the max 999 hits on the sparring guy!

30 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I don’t know if I’ll need them, 3D Zelda has never been very difficult combat-wise.

Weeelll...

I'll let you see for yourself, I suppose!

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hahaha... Well, I'm afraid I haven't gone that far, but then again, I uploaded most of the OST extended to Youtube.

It's also on the box of the orchestrations CD, which was in the Berwick copy I got last fall.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's not the only Berwick reference in Sword of Heaven and Earth, by the way. I'll be sure to post the other one when I get to it.

Oho?

Also, I'm starting an FE4 subs run. Arden has so far only killed one boss, that being Gerrard. Maybe I can get him to kill Kinbaith too.

1 minute ago, Spara said:

It's also on the box of the orchestrations CD, which was in the Berwick copy I got last fall.

Damnit, why does everyone have cool Berwick merchandise except me...?

Oho?

I'll post a screenshot when I get there.

Also, I'm starting an FE4 subs run. Arden has so far only killed one boss, that being Gerrard. Maybe I can get him to kill Kinbaith too.

Bad Spara. Arden must get more. Arden must get all the boss kills.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Bad Spara. Arden must get more. Arden must get all the boss kills.

I could've had him kill DiMaggio, but not doing so meant Arden could choke the point at the river to Evans. 

2 minutes ago, Spara said:

I could've had him kill DiMaggio, but not doing so meant Arden could choke the point at the river to Evans. 

All right. I shall accept this compromise.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

tbf, Twilight Princess has only one or two death-inducing spots, and I've played both Wind Waker and Skyward Sword many times.

Once I died because I couldn’t figure out how to beat the big spiders in the first dungeon, then I died because I happened upon a lot of enemies when I didn’t have many hearts, and then I went the wrong way in the area where Link bursts into flames because it’s so hot.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

I even got the max 999 hits on the sparring guy!

Is he in Skyward Sword or is that Wind Waker?

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Weeelll...

I'll let you see for yourself, I suppose!

I’m not playing with motion controls.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Is he in Skyward Sword or is that Wind Waker?

Wind Waker

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

and then I went the wrong way in the area where Link bursts into flames because it’s so hot.

OOF

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I liked the independent beams myself from a flavor perspective, giving Wave and Plasma elemental affinities made them more distinctive. -Although I haven't dealt with MP2's ammo issues.

I don't play FPSes or anything, but going back to beam stacks cuts down on Samus's weaponry. Typical sci-fi FPSes are capable of having an array of at least semi-diverse weapons, Samus caps at four beams + missiles + charge combos (which you'll likely rarely use outside of the Super Missiles). Going back to stacks means she has but two primary weapons

I think for me, the issue is how much the Power Beam outclasses the other beams (except Plasma). In Prime 1, the Wave and Ice Beams felt situational. In Prime 2, i almost never used the Light, Dark and Annihilator Beams in combat.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And thinking about ammo again, maybe it'd be less of a hassle if it automatically recharged? Cooldowns, not ammo pickups? If each weapon has a separate cooldown that happens as the others are being used, then frequent rotation would make the cooldown bearable.

It would make the balancing act of 50 ammo more doable, yes.

It also just makes sense conceptually too.

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Different strokes for different folks?

That is the answer of course. I'm just like, thinking about it from my perspective.

49 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I think I left off in SSHD after the first Imprisoned fight

Need to get back to it

Or play more FFXIV

Probably FFXIV

Vtuber hell and MMO hell?

I'm sorry Twilit. You're too far gone.

Well, I guess it's back to go back to do another apprenticeship on the government program. This is my last chance to try through this route since it's only open until you're 29, hopefully 29 is the last year and not upon turning 29. Anyway, better that than more failure upon failure in getting a job. At least for now.

Life sucks, but what else is new...

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In terms of personality and appearance, Fang is definitely my favorite of the characters

And as an added bonus, arguably the strongest characer in terms of combat! Xd

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

but the aggro Provoke generates doesn't carry over all at as soon as a character leaves the role? Bad idea

That would make provoke more broken that it already is, though. Its basically a free pass on most fights, in dont think it needs to be much stonger than that! Xd