Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

13 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Very funny Ruben.

Thank you. I do try. Do you want to hear another very funny joke about a game called Three Houses? It's a riot, I assure you.

But FC spent its first 30 minutes world building and setting up the main characters’ relationship,

What I like to call the "everyone is a dick to Estelle for no reason" segment. Except it wasn't 30 minutes, it was the entire 10 hours I played.

SC spent its first 30 minutes showing us what happened directly after FC’s massive cliffhanger ending before cutting to after the 2 month (iirc) gap in between games and then showing us how Estelle has changed.

Is everyone still a dick to her then?

Sky 3rd spent its first 30 minutes… showing how awesome/powerful/wonderful Kevin is?

Well, I mean, in all fairness. Kevin IS quite awesome/powerful/wonderful.

1ww57wKD_o.png

What? What's that look for? This is the right Kevin, it has to be. Trails in the Sky is the game with Silver Will in it, and Kevin's game has Silver Will in it!

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorry you're not familiar with mass-produced Pennsylvania-originated United States chocolate treats!

I'm afraid we don't get that particular brand of USA cuisine in these lands. We probably have something similar, though.

Or maybe that's for the better.

Chocolate and groundnut allergies alike are common enough that it came to mind.

Oof... I don't suffer from such allergies myself, thankfully.

Contrariwise, there is the game I heard of called World End's Club. Wherein reviewers said "play the demo, and then don't buy the full game". Because the segment of the game covered by the demo, is precisely all of the game worth anyone's time. It is all downhill afterwards, despite having two independently solid writers collaborate on the story.

Pfffft. Okay, that's amazing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Thank you. I do try. Do you want to hear another very funny joke about a game called Three Houses? It's a riot, I assure you.

Hmm, I don’t know, man. Is it about Flayn and her fish? Otherwise I don’t see how it could be funny.

What I like to call the "everyone is a dick to Estelle for no reason" segment. Except it wasn't 30 minutes, it was the entire 10 hours I played.

Ah yes, everyone! There’s Joshua, Joshua… and Joshua.

Oh I guess there’s Joshua too if we’re being pedantic.

Is everyone still a dick to her then?

Everyone tries to be nice to her in the beginning because she just went through something awful, and she spends the first segments after the 2 month gap with a friend. So no.

If anything, she’s the one being rude in the beginning, but that’s very understandable.

Well, I mean, in all fairness. Kevin IS quite awesome/powerful/wonderful.

1ww57wKD_o.png

What? What's that look for? This is the right Kevin, it has to be. Trails in the Sky is the game with Silver Will in it, and Kevin's game has Silver Will in it!

Hmm… I don’t know. Kevin is a priest, and this Kevin is a general. Try getting Kevin as a priest with god tier stats, then maybe.

Edited by Sooks

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Sky 3rd spent its first 30 minutes… showing how awesome/powerful/wonderful Kevin is?

Learning who the enemies are in that prologue and how strong they are in the grand scheme of things, it really puts into perspective how canonically strong Kevin is. Easily the strongest out of the playable characters in the Sky games, and I can think of only two people who are stronger than him in the Crossbell and Cold Steel games who are playable--and they're both temporary units. Maybe Rean by the end of Cold Steel 4 counts.

4 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Learning who the enemies are in that prologue and how strong they are in the grand scheme of things, it really puts into perspective how canonically strong Kevin is. Easily the strongest out of the playable characters in the Sky games, and I can think of only two people who are stronger than him in the Crossbell and Cold Steel games who are playable--and they're both temporary units. Maybe Rean by the end of Cold Steel 4 counts.

Well, I’ll trust Trails for now. I just hope Kevin isn’t always an absolute god against every single threat.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Well, I’ll trust Trails for now. I just hope Kevin isn’t always an absolute god against every single threat.

If it wasn't clear I was referring to in-story strength. Kevin as a unit in Sky 3rd is still really good, but he's not the best unit. His S-Craft carries him really; his magic damage is high enough to be useful, but that's kinda it otherwise. He's a fairly good CP battery for his allies too.

Just now, DodgeDusk said:

If it wasn't clear I was referring to in-story strength.

Oh yeah, I was talking about that too. I don’t really care how anyone is as a unit since the units in these games are pretty balanced. In the first two anyway. Unless you’re Josette or FC Tita, that is.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

06, I tremble to even ask what sort of abominable monstrosity you would recommend to me.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Can I cash in the fact that I played AC Odyssey since it’s a game that you like and we can call it even?

Sooks and Ruben, play Dragon Age: Origins!

The game will give you the choice of three races and some "origins" and those origins will define what your class will be.

• You can be a human (male or female for all races) of Noble origin, and then you can choose between the Warrior or Rogue classes, or a member of the Circle of Mages, and then you will automatically be a mage.
  • As an elf, you can be a city elf (or more specifically, from the Elven Slums) or a Dalishan elf (a wild elf that lives in tribes) and then you'll be a Warrior or Rogue or Mage (but in that case, you'll get the play as the Human mage inside the Circle, but with some differences in the dialogues).
  • As a dwarf, you can be a noble dwarf or a common dwarf, and you can be a Rogue or a warrior. Dwarves cannot be mages, as they do not “dream” and therefore do not connect to the Fade.

Each origin makes the game start in a different location and with a different plot, giving the characters different motivations to embark on the journey (some are for revenge, others for answers, etc.), but in all, after a tragic event that changes their life, you'll meet Duncan who says he's in that place looking for the most suitable candidate to become a Grey Warden and recruits the character, taking him to the war camp in Ferelden, where you'll participate in the initiation ritual. 

And best of all: your choices do matter! The characters join or leave you depending on your choices, and each origin will make you see the events with different eyes. Want to be a bastard who sells a child's soul to have sex with a demon? You may! Want to be an average goody two-shoes? You can too! But remember that every action will have consequences...

Now, a piece of a review on steam...

Gameplay

If you ever played "Baldurs Gate" before (Yes even the latest one!) or "Divinity: Original Sin 2" you know how this game works. The game on its own is a really good and fleshed out RPG. You have your dialouges with a sheer amount of possible answers which also change some of the outcomes of quests. The way you play your character and the way you develeop your character is up to you at this point. Like in all other old Bioware games you can be super mean or the hero everyone deserves. The gameplay in combat is also worth to talk about.

In a simple way: You click on the enemy -> Your character attacks the enemy -> You press skill buttons for cool effect

More complex: You see a group of bad people and you pause the time. You tell your Archer to shoot at the tall guy and blind him while you mage should channel an AOE fire attack on the smaller ones. Your thief should activate the cloak and sneak past the smaller ones to backstab the big one. You on your own playing a tank in this situation. You start a taunt so that any survivng enemy might focus you. But what is that... After you continued the game and all of your allies execute your commands you see that your archer got attacked by an hidden mage of the enemy. Good that you used the optional tactics menu before for your Party (specificly the mage) and set up "IF ally is below 25% HP THAN use heal spell" while your Archer got the task "IF enemy has range THAN attack range first".

And there are many of these things for different situations you can program into your party set up.

Classes

Well there are Mages, Rogues and Warriors! So if you start the game and see "Oh only 3 classes?!" ... Do not be dissapointed, because it gets better! These are just the mainclasses. Each of them has their own subclasses. An example: As a mage you can go full damage or full support and even both. Or you change the way you use your magic in a way you wouldn't think you could do this when you just start the game.

You can even make your mage a Tank! Here's my reccomendation for beginners:

Braindead:

Mage, unless you're a healer.

Normal:

Dual Wield Rogue

Hard:

Archer Rogue

OMEGALUL:

Warrior

Healer Mage

Here's a video, but there are spoilers for the Human Noble origin. Imo the best origin story-wise is Dwarf Noble, folowed by City Elf and then Dwarf commoner.

And here's the best thing: even a potato PC can run it!

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Mr. Blackhole the almighty winner of the Mecha Grail war with the power of plot holes, harem and Asspulls on his side

SbL0h6f.png

I didn't mean to fall asleep for five hours.....

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

The whole camping thing is totally Torna, but better

Indeed. I also like that it serves as a skit viewer, i don't think Tales ever had one of those before.

Although i did get baited in the convos. If the character doesn't have the speech bubble icon, you can still talk to them but you'll just get sort of a montage thing and you don't actually see what they have to same. 

Torna's campfires do have the bonus EXP tho, something i wish this game had. Cause i'm underleveled but not really because i'm fighting regularly. Levels are just kinda weird in this game. Bonus EXP should be a thing in every game.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Actually, maybe not. This Ries woman has only had like 10 minutes of screen time but I don’t like what I’ve seen so far. I actually don’t like the other new character either, and Kevin, who is returning from the last game (and the main character of this one, it looks like), has not had a very… balanced, portrayal so far.

But it’s the beginning of the game, and this game is Trails, so I trust that it will get better.

Ries and Kevin are good.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Started Bravely Default 2. Just to check and see if the game worked within the refundable period.

Refund period? Wait do you mean a demo?

Or did you actually buy a physical copy i forget people do that on Switch.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Contrariwise, there is the game I heard of called World End's Club. Wherein reviewers said "play the demo, and then don't buy the full game". Because the segment of the game covered by the demo, is precisely all of the game worth anyone's time. It is all downhill afterwards, despite having two independently solid writers collaborate on the story.

I do think it's pretty interesting that the game starts out as one of them "death games" but then baits you after the opening and reveals you're all what's left of humanity so go explore the new post-apocalyptic world.

A shame it doesn't live up to that premise.

42 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Mr. Blackhole the almighty winner of the Mecha Grail war with the power of plot holes, harem and Asspulls on his side

Mr. Blackhole was pretty tough for a first boss.

I really hate his ground stop. Because the way he winds up for a punch always makes me reflexively roll sideways when you have to move backwards instead.

Even in terms of story, he seems to be one of the tougher foes, considering Travis actually ends up using Full Armor against him.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Indeed. I also like that it serves as a skit viewer, i don't think Tales ever had one of those before.

Tales has done skit viewers long before. Usually in a secret or late-game area (like the sometimes recurring Nam Cobanda Island; no guesses as to what it's referencing).

Noooooooooo

Fayeeee

You were supposed to dodge the 11%, not get hit by the 11% and die in turn 4

I mean, sure, it was my mistake for forgetting you were low and not moving you to safety before the enemy could reach you, but... I mean, everyone knows 11% means 0%!

...It's the second time I lose today... I'm supposed to be good at this game, it's my sixth run!

Cock and balls, fine. If you're gonna be like that, Berwick Saga, I'll do it tomorrow. Some more Ace Attorney before bed, then.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Hmm, I don’t know, man. Is it about Flayn and her fish? Otherwise I don’t see how it could be funny.

No, it's actually a joke of Bernadetta having crippling anxiety issues. Please laugh, it's really funny.

Ah yes, everyone! There’s Joshua, Joshua… and Joshua.

Oh I guess there’s Joshua too if we’re being pedantic.

Joshua alone was enough to get on my nerves.

Everyone tries to be nice to her in the beginning because she just went through something awful, and she spends the first segments after the 2 month gap with a friend. So no.

If anything, she’s the one being rude in the beginning, but that’s very understandable.

Right.

Hmm… I don’t know. Kevin is a priest, and this Kevin is a general. Try getting Kevin as a priest with god tier stats, then maybe.

Kevin doesn't need to be a priest. You see, as a general, he protects others from harm. As such, they need no healing. He heals by preventing the need to heal. There you go.

44 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Sooks and Ruben, play Dragon Age: Origins!

Le what?

...Oh shit, it's on sale till the 20th of September. That's like, plenty of time to finish Great Ace Attorney and grab the ultimate edition for 6 bucks.

I do have a couple of concerns, however. Some people say it works rather shoddily in Windows 10, do you know how true that is? Also, it appears EA made this game. Does that mean I need an EA account or that it's a gacha or that I'll need to pay microtransactions or anything of the sort? Lastly, I see some community-made fixpacks thrown around. How necessary are these? Is the base game a buggy mess?

The game will give you the choice of three races and some "origins" and those origins will define what your class will be.

• You can be a human (male or female for all races) of Noble origin, and then you can choose between the Warrior or Rogue classes, or a member of the Circle of Mages, and then you will automatically be a mage.
  • As an elf, you can be a city elf (or more specifically, from the Elven Slums) or a Dalishan elf (a wild elf that lives in tribes) and then you'll be a Warrior or Rogue or Mage (but in that case, you'll get the play as the Human mage inside the Circle, but with some differences in the dialogues).
  • As a dwarf, you can be a noble dwarf or a common dwarf, and you can be a Rogue or a warrior. Dwarves cannot be mages, as they do not “dream” and therefore do not connect to the Fade.

Which one looks the funniest?

...Oh God tell me there's character creation, God I'd love me some character creation, it's been a while since I created a truly hilarious character. Fire Emblem just doesn't supply the tools I need.

Each origin makes the game start in a different location and with a different plot, giving the characters different motivations to embark on the journey (some are for revenge, others for answers, etc.), but in all, after a tragic event that changes their life, you'll meet Duncan who says he's in that place looking for the most suitable candidate to become a Grey Warden and recruits the character, taking him to the war camp in Ferelden, where you'll participate in the initiation ritual.

I already don't trust Duncan.

And best of all: your choices do matter!

G A S P

Just like in Banner Saga!

...I really hope so, at least. Better be closer to Banner Saga than Telltale.

Want to be a bastard who sells a child's soul to have sex with a demon? You may!

Ahh, classic 06.

So what kinda demon are we talking about here? I should want to confirm the demon can satisfy my tastes before I go looking for kids to sacrifice.

And here's the best thing: even a potato PC can run it!

That won't be a problem. I have a gaming peecee. Very good peecee, it runs vidyagaims at 795234y578234583625 FPS per second.

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Mr. Blackhole was pretty tough for a first boss.

I really hate his ground stop. Because the way he winds up for a punch always makes me reflexively roll sideways when you have to move backwards instead.

Even in terms of story, he seems to be one of the tougher foes, considering Travis actually ends up using Full Armor against him.

Which of the Black Hole COs are you talking about here? I remember the one that dropped meteors on the enemy units, and the one that was really ugly, but this one is escaping my memory...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Noooooooooo

Fayeeee

You were supposed to dodge the 11%, not get hit by the 11% and die in turn 4

I mean, sure, it was my mistake for forgetting you were low and not moving you to safety before the enemy could reach you, but... I mean, everyone knows 11% means 0%!

As a Youtuber I've recently started watching his videos says.

"If it's not 100% accurate, then it's 50% accurate."

Talking more about Pokémon, but could easily apply to FE as well.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Tales has done skit viewers long before. Usually in a secret or late-game area (like the sometimes recurring Nam Cobanda Island; no guesses as to what it's referencing).

Ah.

Well in Arise, they let you watch starting from the first hour.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do have a couple of concerns, however. Some people say it works rather shoddily in Windows 10, do you know how true that is?

The game is old and wasn't made for 64-bit PCs. There's a fix here.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, it appears EA made this game. Does that mean I need an EA account or that it's a gacha or that I'll need to pay microtransactions or anything of the sort?

NO! The game was made before EA bought Bioware. It has SOUL.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lastly, I see some community-made fixpacks thrown around. How necessary are these? Is the base game a buggy mess?

The base game is perfectly serviceable, as there's nothing game-breaking. I just recommend this mod to fix some minor bugs and restore unused content.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4689/

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Which one looks the funniest?

...Oh God tell me there's character creation, God I'd love me some character creation, it's been a while since I created a truly hilarious character. Fire Emblem just doesn't supply the tools I need.

I shared a Dwarf I made here.

639800176_Neven1.thumb.png.d1a917160d4087c1b8a3991a98e85290.png

8 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

The game is old and wasn't made for 64-bit PCs. There's a fix here.

Duly noted.

NO! The game was made before EA bought Bioware. It has SOUL.

Right...

The base game is perfectly serviceable, as there's nothing game-breaking. I just recommend this mod to fix some minor bugs and restore unused content.

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4689/

Yes, I've seen that one around. No harm in getting that one, then!

How about this one? I wouldn't install the more game-changing parts, not on a first run anyway, but it does have a list of bug fixes of its own.

I shared a Dwarf I made here.

639800176_Neven1.thumb.png.d1a917160d4087c1b8a3991a98e85290.png

Yes

YES

It's Bethesda-like

I am going to make my character SO ugly, it's going to be great

...Well, uh, assuming I do buy the game. I would take any recommendations you make quite lightly indeed, I mean, duh.

I don't know how to feel about the fact that Van Zieks, of all people, has the most understanding and respectful response to being shown the armband out of everyone in these two games thus far. I even got a cheevo for showing it to him. Now that's epic.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In Berseria you got it very late game, and you can't see the ones you missed unlike here

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I wouldn't recommend this one. Qwinn's fixpack is more, well, complete.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Right...

Trust me, this game is free from EA's mercenary practices.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Well, uh, assuming I do buy the game. I would take any recommendations you make quite lightly indeed, I mean, duh.

C'mon man, I may like to press people's buttons, but I ever recommend games in bad faith. It's in my top 10 favorite games ever.

Ya know

One thing i gotta give Tales props for is that they don't fall into Anime harem cringe bullshit tropes. Not just Arise, but ones i finished or just played/watched, Tales may be anime af, and not always well written, but it's not the cringe kind of anime

Edited by Shrimperor

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

In Berseria you got it very late game, and you can't see the ones you missed unlike here

Honestly I don't get why they wait until super late game to give you that.

Speaking of Berseria tho, Arise does have the same localization problem: the text and spoken dialogue will sometimes just jarringly not match at all. I don't know if other Tales games besides Berseria have this problem but how does it get past the testers twice?