• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There seems to have been hope of a recovery with Colors and Generations, and to a lesser extent Unleashed before them, but then Boom & Forces sank it again. Which is not what the franchise needed, hope is a fragile creature.

And then Colors ended up getting a really bad remastered made by the guys who did WWE2K18. Sega has announced patches but the damage has already been done.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You know you didn't have to resort to Marvel for this.

I know but it's funnier.

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I did actually try the Berseria demo the day before I got Arise.

Maybe the demo isn't a good portrayal of the gameplay or world, but I can't say I enjoyed the combat or environment all that much in it.

The arenas felt too small for a full party, for one. Again, that might just be a demo thing, but still.

Imma be honest, as much as I liked Berseria, Arise is pretty much killing any chance I revisit it. That's how much the gameplay has been improved.

As for the world, I think Arise is also spoiling you here. Tales has never looked that amazing before Arise. Going back the past would understandably be a downgrade.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Imma be honest, as much as I liked Berseria, Arise is pretty much killing any chance I revisit it. That's how much the gameplay has been improved.

Interesting.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As for the world, I think Arise is also spoiling you here. Tales has never looked that amazing before Arise. Going back the past would understandably be a downgrade.

Nah, I'm not really talking in terms of visual quality as much as how much the demo just felt like a level I was walking though in its structure.

Even Abyss had a proper sense of being a world connected by roads with towns scattered here and there, and that was a game from 2004.

Incredibly scaled down, no doubt, but it didn't hurt the worldbuilding, IMO.

Edited by twilitfalchion

18 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nah, I'm not really talking in terms of visual quality as much as how much the demo just felt like a level I was walking though in its structure.

Well I mean.....it is a demo.

While Arise is a massive upgrade gameplay wise (aside from Bosses one shotting you. That wasn't the case in Berseria), story and characters i definetly prefer Berseria.

Although the story does pick up a bit in Arise from ~ch3/4.

So much grass cutting, more than Zelda, yet slower. And yet I feel like I have to, besides your standard consumable items and a non-negligible amount of money, somehow three quality axes were tucked away in the weeds, and a lot of other equipment. It's been so plentiful, that combined with chest contents, I haven't needed to purchase a single piece of equipment so far.

So I've reached the scholar town, and yet it'll give me a dedicated physical tank and an archer, not what I desire right now. Both Gloria and Elvis have mastered Black and White Mages, so now they're going into Bard for lack of alternatives and to keep their JP gain from halting. I need new magic classes.

Berserker's sluggishness is horrid for boss fights with the speed-based turn system, but (2xCrescent Moon or 3x Level Slash)x2 is fairly capable of quickly eradicating grunts. So it's been very good. And yet again, I'm but 2 job levels away from mastering it, despite it being the most recent asterisk I've obtained.

So far, Bravely Default 2 doesn't feel like it's really experimenting with the classes the way Bravely Second tried with its new ones even if a bunch of the oldies carried over from BD1 were obsoleted. Nonetheless, the fundamentals are enjoyable, so the game is good for me.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And then Colors ended up getting a really bad remastered made by the guys who did WWE2K18. Sega has announced patches but the damage has already been done.

Sonic is in such a weird place. It is quintessential Sega, so the company feels like it has to provide for it. That movie did well, and Sonic Mania I'm told was good too, so there is still an audience for the blue blur. Yet, Sega somehow messes up with it, in ways Nintendo has never with Mario (despite some critiques of SMS and SMO).

Maybe tell Atlus to make a new Sonic RPG. Sonic fans might not be RPG fans, but as an Atlus devotee, I doubt they could mess up the gameplay; leave the story, music, and other aspects to Sonic Team employees.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Q U I R K Y

E A R T H B O U N D - I N S P I R E D

R P G

But it’s more a spiritual successor than directly copying the style, the gameplay is actually good a different style with roots in Earthbound’s and Undertale loves to poke fun at classic JRPGs when it can. The entire basis of the game is really just saying RPG logic is dumb, if you think about it.

Also music.

Yes I know you didn’t ask, but you can’t compare a game I like to a generic JRPG, how dare you.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

the gameplay is actually good

I mean, yeah, shittier Touhou beats generic JRPG

Probably doesn't beat Touhou though

Do forgive me, I'm just messing with you here. I haven't played Undertale or Touhou, so I can't judge. Though one day I'll be sure to change one of those facts, at least.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes I know you didn’t ask, but you can’t compare a game I like to a generic JRPG, how dare you.

I haven't even played the game! The gameplay never quite piqued my interest enough to play it, and at this point I've spoiled myself so much of it that there's no reason to do it for the story either. But it does seem like a good game, contentious fanbase aside.

I will say tho, I do agree that its music is quite good. Incidentally, there's one track in Omori that was composed by Toby Fox, but it's a hidden track that you wouldn't run into by chance.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The gameplay never quite piqued my interest enough to play it, and at this point I've spoiled myself so much of it that there's no reason to do it for the story either.

Well.

fanbase

Ah yes, that thing. It… is a thing.

Incidentally, there's one track in Omori that was composed by Toby Fox, but it's a hidden track that you wouldn't run into by chance.

You underestimate the power of a completionist.

I’m pretty sure the song wasn’t in Undertale though, but I don’t remember it off the top of my head.

Just now, Sooks said:

Well.

Killed your hopes to recommend me a choice-based game I hadn't played beforehand, did I?

Just now, Sooks said:

Ah yes, that thing. It… is a thing.

A thing that has been the subject of much discussion for years. First everyone loved Undertale. Then everyone hated Undertale. Nowadays people seem rather divided. All because it became popular. Popularity is overrated, it would seem.

Just now, Sooks said:

You underestimate the power of a completionist.

I’m pretty sure the song wasn’t in Undertale though, but I don’t remember it off the top of my head.

I mean, it doesn't have to be from Undertale. Could be Toby Fox just composed a track for Omori because he felt like it lol.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Killed your hopes to recommend me a choice-based game I hadn't played beforehand, did I?

Undertale isn’t reaaaally a choice based game. I mean, it technically is, but you only make one major choice which is what route you wanna do and a 2 year old would be able to predict which one is good and which ones are bad. Plus everyone already knows if they’d like Undertale or not, it’s not really the sort of game you recommend people now.

My best hope on that front is to play that Dragon Age game before you. Unfortunately, it looks like you will get to it before me. A shame that is.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, it doesn't have to be from Undertale. Could be Toby Fox just composed a track for Omori because he felt like it lol.

Toby Fox composed a track for pokemon because he felt like it.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

My best hope on that front is to play that Dragon Age game before you. Unfortunately, it looks like you will get to it before me. A shame that is.

Hey, there seems to be different routes. We could pick different ones, and then I'd replay the game on the route you played and stuff.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Toby Fox composed a track for pokemon because he felt like it.

Yes, you can definitely hear the Toby Fox in that. He's got a certain style.

Pokemon, though. I wonder if at the time of Undertale's release, he ever expected he'd become such a big name that he'd be making tracks for Pokemon and meeting someone like Sakurai. Good for him.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, there seems to be different routes. We could pick different ones, and then I'd replay the game on the route you played and stuff.

I mean, yeah, but that’s probably too much. Unfortunately, and I say that because I’m paying you an absolutely massive compliment here, we tend to make similar choices in these games, so that would mean someone intentionally making the choices they don’t want to, probably. This is also assuming you want to replay the game.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, you can definitely hear the Toby Fox in that. He's got a certain style.

That he does.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, yeah, but that’s probably too much. Unfortunately, and I say that because I’m paying you an absolutely massive compliment here, we tend to make similar choices in these games,

Why, thank you! I am quite flattered by your most gracious compliment. As thanks, I won't even remind you about the thing with the frog and the cart where we very much made different choices.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

so that would mean someone intentionally making the choices they don’t want to, probably. This is also assuming you want to replay the game.

Yeah, that's quite a few ifs. We'll have to continue our search. Or, well, more precisely, you'll have to continue your search. Not much of a point in the search if I search myself, is there?

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

story and characters i definetly prefer Berseria.

Same although I do prefer Alphen and Shionne as protagonists. They bounce off so well.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yet, Sega somehow messes up with it, in ways Nintendo has never with Mario (despite some critiques of SMS and SMO).

Honestly Sonic was just never meant to go 3D. Notice how the best Sonic game in recent years is a 2D one.

Of course, there could be a bigger fundamental issues with the devs but I think if Sonic put more 2D games out, it would balance itself a bit.

Spoiler

iPNx2Bp.jpg

...yup, i think i accidently landed in the post game dungeon  and was able to survive until the boss lol. That or i was suppossed to enter that dungeon much much later. Dunno how much is left of the game

no way i am beating that guy now tho

especially with ??? HP

Edited by Shrimperor