• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Good thing it's also on Steam

It is? Well, that's the best news in the direct rendered moot lol.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He's 66. If he wanted to rest his voice, that's one thing but he's very passionate about the roles and it just feels wrong reducing him to a cameo.

This has a bigger fundamental problem when it comes to animated movies and shows in the West: studios keep choosing celebraity live-action actors to voice act because, much like animation itself, voice acting isn't seen as "real acting" by some people.

Chris Pratt Mario that talks a lot is 99% going to be a disaster of epic memestastic proportions. And unlike the design of Sonic in his own movie, it's not something they can tweak and pretend it was always like that.

...maybe it'll beat bald Mario from the OG movie, though. Just maybe.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Chris Pratt Mario that talks a lot is 99% going to be a disaster of epic memestastic proportions. And unlike the design of Sonic in his own movie, it's not something they can tweak and pretend it was always like that.

True.

Oh man that'll be a Christmas present, to see the absolute shit show if this is written poorly.

Edited by Dayni

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm actually getting a little laugh at this whole thing since between yesterday and today, two states in my country just approved same-sex marriage.

Progress!🏳️‍🌈

Now hurry up Japan, maybe if you legalize you'll do this more often in your video games.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It was a joke to the fact F-Zero is among the N64 games going to Switch Online.

I know, hence my mention of the 64DD. I thought you thought that meant there was a hope of something greater than that for F-Zero.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This has a bigger fundamental problem when it comes to animated movies and shows in the West: studios keep choosing celebraity live-action actors to voice act because, much like animation itself, voice acting isn't seen as "real acting" by some people.

Oh, I'm not one for animated movies, I skipped Hey You the Sonichu!, and will be skipping Super Mario the Movie 2: Mario 1 Does Not Exist.

I take it this problem is in-part because VA work means children's movies, and children will eat up anything? Getting adults to attend by tossing in their favorite actors and actresses who starred in roles the children would can't know about for fear of corrupting their innocent minds will increase sales?

17 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Well, as a person who's not played much Kirby, good to see you happy about it.

Wait, is there garbage Kirby?

Copypasting the Wikipedia list for reference, and boxing it due to size.:

Looking over this, we've had "cheap" spinoffs- Pinball Land, Dream Course, Tilt n' Tumble, Star Stacker, Blowout Blast, Battle Royale, Fighters/Drum Dash/Kirby Clash Deluxe, but nothing outright tedious and poorly programmed to play. Kirby's Avalanche is a reskin of Puyo Pop that made Kirby talk and gave him an attitude, which is weird and usually gets intentionally forgotten.

The Dark Matter Trilogy (Dream Land 2 & 3, 64) are considered weaker titles nowadays, The Amazing Mirror is less than amazing too, and Rainbow Curse got some flak relatively recently. Epic Yarn isn't a true Kirby game, but a Star Fox Adventures/Dinosaur Planet situation, where they imposed an iconic character on a totally unrelated game. Yet KEY is not bad. 

Team Kirby Clash would likely get below a 6 from me due to microtransactions and mobile game-esque tedium reading the reviews, but otherwise Kirby has always done better that. None of the big titles are so flawed as to be called "objectively" bad.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Aight but that framerate needs some work.

It's been out in Japan since May of this year, how much longer will they be willing to spend on fixing that? If you're thinking you'll deduct points over frames, I think you could etch that on your scorecard right now.

To be honest, I know nothing about Chris Pratt other than he's a Hollywood pretty boy among many and he was rumored to be the new Indiana Jones at one point.

Enough to tell that whoever made the decision to cast him as friggin' Mario probably hasn't played a videogame in his or her life. But let's keep an open mind. Maybe ghe stars will align and it won't be an embarrassment.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Actraiser is also on steam huh

temptingggg

Currently too busy with other games, but it does look great. I think I read a screenshot LP of it a million years ago, but my memories of it are foggy. It being on Steam increased my interest some more, though. It's definitely going on my wishlist tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I take it this problem is in-part because VA work means children's movies, and children will eat up anything?

That's part of the problem. The fundamental "issue" with animated films is that it's all seen as "for kids" by some people. Hell, even i was guilty of it at one point.

Is the Mario movie gonna be for kids? Yeah. But like that's not really the point. 

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Getting adults to attend by tossing in their favorite actors and actresses who starred in roles the children would can't know about for fear of corrupting their innocent minds will increase sales?

That is the other side of it yeah.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you're thinking you'll deduct points over frames, I think you could etch that on your scorecard right now.

I need to see by how much it'll affect me. People say Ritual of the Night's Switch version had a bad framerate but i deadass did not see it so *shrugs*.

It's definitely noticeable in RF5 tho and even though i'll play the game to relax and i ain't there for the action, i need to see what exactly happens. If it gets Age of Calamity bad, i'm definitely taking off points.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Enough to tell that whoever made the decision to cast him as friggin' Mario probably hasn't played a videogame in his or her life.

Ruben, do a quick Wikipedia read on Illumination Studios. 

You'll see just how much of a trainwreck this is gonna be.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

aged beautifully

I love that there was nobody commenting on it before the direct.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now hurry up Japan, maybe if you legalize you'll do this more often in your video games.

It's weird that so many countries still are against it.

Then again we were such pains about it we had to do a referendum to fix it (though the amendment at one stage banned straight marriage. Yep. They fixed it, but now you know.)

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking over this, we've had "cheap" spinoffs- Pinball Land, Dream Course, Tilt n' Tumble, Star Stacker, Blowout Blast, Battle Royale, Fighters/Drum Dash/Kirby Clash Deluxe, but nothing outright tedious and poorly programmed to play. Kirby's Avalanche is a reskin of Puyo Pop that made Kirby talk and gave him an attitude, which is weird and usually gets intentionally forgotten.

The Dark Matter Trilogy (Dream Land 2 & 3, 64) are considered weaker titles nowadays, The Amazing Mirror is less than amazing too, and Rainbow Curse got some flak relatively recently. Epic Yarn isn't a true Kirby game, but a Star Fox Adventures/Dinosaur Planet situation, where they imposed an iconic character on a totally unrelated game. Yet KEY is not bad. 

Team Kirby Clash would likely get below a 6 from me due to microtransactions and mobile game-esque tedium reading the reviews, but otherwise Kirby has always done better that. None of the big titles are so flawed as to be called "objectively" bad.

I hadn't heard much complaints about the spin-offs either, rarely does it mess up from what I've seen. Good guy Kirby?

What would you rate highly then?

Also, Voice of Cards.

Anyone have thought on it?

I'll say mine one I've played the demo.

@Interdimensional Observer Neo TWEWY finally got a release date on PC, 28th. Much sooner than I was expecting with all the silence. Still EGS exclusive.

So I experienced a weird ass bug in Tales of Arise: it was during the first boss battle with the spirit: I switched to Shionne and... Alphen was stuck in his item using animation for the entire battle, unable to get out, and he was unable to die as well. It was... Weird af.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be honest, I know nothing about Chris Pratt other than he's a Hollywood pretty boy among many and he was rumored to be the new Indiana Jones at one point.

His most well known role is Star-Lord, a “super hero” (really just a guy with guns from space (well he technically has supper powers kind of, but he can’t use them anymore and even when he could it was only on one planet and you don’t even learn this until his second movie)) in the Marvel movies who makes quips at everything while channeling a sort of awkward air, yet not taking anything seriously ever.

Not saying that’s where they’ll take Mario in the movie, but that’s what most people think of when they think of him.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Then again we were such pains about it we had to do a referendum to fix it (though the amendment at one stage banned straight marriage. Yep. They fixed it, but now you know.)

Cmon Connor, we know you Fitzpatrick, but your opposition to heteronormativity doesn't allow you to ban Str8 marriage. You should be fighting for the abolition of the traditional family altogether and force consensual communal love and parenting.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I hadn't heard much complaints about the spin-offs either, rarely does it mess up from what I've seen. Good guy Kirby?

What would you rate highly then?

Keep in mind of course, Your Opinions May Vary -and that is perfectly fine! There are hills worth dying on -but video game likings/dislikings aren't them! I won't judge and throw insults at someone who differs from the common consensus.

This said, the highlights, and some commentary.:

• The ancestral crown jewel of the Kirby franchise is Kirby Super Star. Called Kirby's Fun Pak in Europe.
    • This SNES title, which has received no shortage of nods in Smash, is a tad unusual, consisting of several short games instead of one long one. Unlike the Dream Land 3, the other SNES Kirby, Masahiro Sakurai worked on this one.
    • Key to this Super Star's lasting legacy is how it handles Copy Abilities. In Kirby's Adventure and the Dark Matter Trilogy, Kirby gets one, maybe two moves per Copy Ability. In Super Star, almost all of them barring special exceptions, get a full set of different moves, making bashing things with Kirby through the easy platform quite fun.
    • Super Star Ultra is a DS remake with enhanced graphics and some extras thrown in (it's oddly called Super Star Ultra in European English), which makes it objectively superior unless you were hung up on the old graphics or something.
  • Kirby's Return to Dream Land is considered modern excellence.
    • Squeak Squad was the first Kirby game to bring back the Super Star-styled Copy Abilities after they went away during the DMT and Nightmare in Dream Land and The Amazing Mirror. Yet Squeak Squad was uncreative and easy even by Kirby standards. Also, the GameCube skipped on a Kirby title other than Air Ride, so Kirby's return to consoles was notable.
    • Return to Dream Land as alluded to above, copied the formula of Super Star in gameplay, while not copying it's several small games approach, opting for the more typical Kirby format. And overall, it's considered to have done it all well.
  • Planet Robobot is great too!
    • If it isn't broken, don't fix it. This game is the continuation of the Super Star style, and yet again, it did it well.- Barring the True Arena final boss, that I no likely.
    • Triple Deluxe is more of the same and came between RtDL and PR, but most would consider it the weakest of the three, yet not bad.
    • I skipped Star Allies, looking at the footage of it, I felt Kirby was getting stale and didn't want to buy another at full price. You can milk a tried and true gameplay style only so much. And the heaping mounds of Kirby franchise nostalgia 3D and PR contained were exhausting how excited I would be towards nostalgia, which SA also looked to have. I could grab it eventually now, knowing Kirby and the Forgotten Land will be going in a different direction.

As for honorable mentions:

• Canvas Curse is a spinoff that feels almost good enough to be considered not a spinoff.
    • A DS game that like other games early in the DS's lifespan, were forced to use touch controls, the entire game is built around them.
    • Canvas Curse is not long, and it's lacking in real boss fights, but it was fun. 
  • Kirby's Air Ride was a simple kart-racing game for the GameCube, which could've used more content (and I want a sequel!). And the last Sakurai-made Kirby game (excluding the Subspace Emissary).
    • Besides the typical racing of Air Ride mode, you had the smaller, more smashing Top Ride mode.
    • And there is the very unique City Trial, wherein you run around a city finding a vehicle you want, collecting power-ups, maybe attacking another player. At the end of the time limit, everyone plays one short event out of a list of varied possibilities, and whoever wins it wins the City Trial "match". The mode is in a racing game, but not really about racing.
    • Again, I want a sequel, with more Air Ride and Top Ride tracks. More/better balanced vehicles for Air Ride, more zaniness for Top Ride. And alternative maps for City Trial, with the ability to play a set of events instead of just one at the end (unless that was already there and I've forgotten it). 
  • Kirby's Adventure is one of the last, greatest, and still fun NES titles. Its visual GBA remake Nightmare in Dreamland is fine, practically the same, but you can't go wrong with the colorful and detailed NES charm either.
    • If you want to go back to the roots of Kirby, Adventure -the second game in the franchise- is much better than the first- Kirby's Dream Land. That game let Kirby inhale and expel enemies, but had no Copy Abilities, and as a result, Kirby feels a little weak. It's also a lot shorter than Adventure.

Lastly, I'll throw in a nice word for 2/3rds of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Dream Land 3 looks pretty with its colored pencil aesthetic, even if it doesn't play the best. And although 64 graphics are dated, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, has very charming and creative-looking 2.5 stages, one could argue more charming than the smoother modern Kirby visuals.

...I didn't mean to spend this long typing this.😅

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am. More than I expected, to be honest. It's satisfying to watch my guys go at it with the enemies. The AI is pretty smart, thanks to the tactics system. And the dialogue's amazing. I know I keep saying it, but for as much as it looks as a Bethesda game on the surface, it doesn't really feel like a Bethesda game.

Of course. I would never recommend a bad game.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh my God, Sten and Morrigan, can you please stop whining like babies every time I do something remotely good? I don't understand, why is it such a terrible idea to look for this guy's daughter? She's supposedly in the place where we already intended to go! We stand to lose nothing, you idiots!

Sten is qunari. The Qun hates softies.

Well, with my paid membership at Writing.com ended, I think I'll focus on some of my non-related writing projects. Well, technically a couple are. Mostly just rewriting stuff I've put there into a proper story. Also to add my own takes of stuff I didn't write. Got this one SoV fic idea I've so been wanting to rewrite, and expand with ideas of my own I didn't put in there at first, for not having though them up yet or simply didn't wanted to write it too long.