• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Imma be honest, this whole thing with "buffers" and "queues" honest to God does not register in my mind. I get the concept but I don't feel it.

It's like when people say Smash Ultimate's buffer system is bad but I could deadass not tell you that because I can't feel it.

So when you're saying Arise's buffer is bad, I kinda just.... don't get it. Like I switched from long to short queues and it did not feel any different to me.

Like I will say it would've been nice if you could cancel animations but I guess I'm just blessed that I might as well be legally blind when it comes to buffers and framerate and all the technical stuff the cool kids think make an action and fighting game work.

Mmkay... Lets just say I hit the X button twice to ensure my arte activated, well the buffer will read my input for a few extra seconds after I input it, so by the time an arte ends, the game thinks I still made an input. This leads to alot of accidental inputs in a game where faster inputs are a thing.

I'm fighting a tournament now. Second fight pits me alone against two twins. Nice, now that's what I call a fair fight. Well, if I was able to beat the Fade's monsters on my own by running in circles and abusing my rogue skills, there's no reason I can't beat these two morons.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

29 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Mmkay... Lets just say I hit the X button twice to ensure my arte activated, well the buffer will read my input for a few extra seconds after I input it, so by the time an arte ends, the game thinks I still made an input. This leads to alot of accidental inputs in a game where faster inputs are a thing.

Like I said, I know what it is, the thing is my mind does not register it when I play. As a result, I do not notice.

Me- *Complains about optional bosses*

Also Me- *A few hours later, defeats all those bosses*

Reading online for tips led me to a bunch of cheese strategies, which I mostly ignored in favor of one strat that was mentioned offhand like twice. Although I took up the crazy power of Godspeed Strike to speed the fights up, that alone couldn't win me battles. Instead, I read it's possible for a Shieldmaster to Bodyguard all three other characters at the same time, and even defend them all against AoE attacks. Then, there is the unexpected feature of being able to apply Elemental Supplement, a buff, to the enemy. Since most of the portal bosses use physical attacks and Elemental Supplement can force any physical attack into a particular element, you can turn all those enemies into mono-elemental attackers. This is great, because immunity or absorption of elements is easily achievable. Have a Shieldmaster Bodyguard all its allies and equip stuff that grants elemental immunity/absorption, then have one or two Oracles (Oracle-Thieves in my case) apply and reapply Elemental Supplement of an element the Shieldmaster negates to all physical enemies. Keep this up, and suddenly your team is tanking everything or close to it, with not a scratch on anyone, it's amazing. I got a game over, once, and a few times it got dicey, but this setup won me every portal boss fight, with a couple minor adjustments for each fight. Sure I played on Normal, but I read that the only thing Hard does, is give bosses increased turn speed.

I stopped into the final dungeon afterwards, took all its items (the final dungeon is small, not that I mind, dungeons are meh here), and then left. I proceeded to mindlessly grind up levels and job levels, and in one more play session I ought to have every job mastered on everyone, and be somewhere over 80 ordinary level-wise. Hopefully by the time I'm done mastering jobs, the two Bloody Shields will have had their curses lifted and turned into Hero's Shields. In that same session, I ought to be able to go and confront the true final boss.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

IMG-20210925-WA0004.jpeg

I Just ate this. This image will probably give someone diabetes but I honestly hadn't eaten anything since morning. I was hungry. But now I am full.

Can't be worse than the sausage-pepperoni-meatball calzone (the menu called it a stromboli, but technically it looked like a calzone) I had like a week or two ago. Or the one or two times I've had a "fat sandwich" with fries and mozzarella sticks in it (and when you take a snack/appetizer and use it as a mundane ingredient, you know you've gone too far).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Well, I've made some progress with the Orzammar quest, but now I need to find this Jarvia person. I've been told I need some sort of bone thing to get through the door, but I have no idea where to go to find one, so... I'll do it later.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can't be worse than the sausage-pepperoni-meatball calzone (the menu called it a stromboli, but technically it looked like a calzone)

I looked it up and what determines what it's called depends on how the bread is sealed.

....so basically it's one of those things that doesn't matter, it's all in theory the same.

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Id still say that its an issue though.

Well I'll just agree to disagree.

I don't think I mentioned it then, but for my fellow Berwick players, I recently found out that healing a character to max HP with fortify won't cure injuries. So yeah. There's your Berwick tidbit of the day.

That aside, I've finished chapter 9. Elbert promotes, Dean joins, Dean and Marcel are both close to level 15. Not bad. I might have a great happiness rating by the end of this thing, for once... Though not perfect still. I cannot imagine how one's supposed to promote Adel, Aegina, Elbert and Daoud without alarming amounts of pain. Promoting Elbert's annoying enough, having to rig all those spear levels because he somehow manages to be even slower than Adel.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Well I'll just agree to disagree

Its kinda silly to say "because I dont see it as an issue, it doesn't exist". Like thats just trying to excuse it as a problem in the first place.

For me, Daoud is usually only lacking like 2-4 points of Axe skill for promotion. So I really don't think promoting him is much of a problem.

Though it most certainly involves deploying him on a few more maps then I would like, considering he is almost purely defensive.

Edited by BrightBow

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Its kinda silly to say "because I dont see it as an issue, it doesn't exist". Like thats just trying to excuse it as a problem in the first place.

So what does that say about "I don't see LMBS as an issue" then?

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

For me, Daoud is usually only lacking like 2-4 points of Axe skill for promotion. So I really don't think promoting him is much of a problem.

Though it most certainly involves deploying him on a few more maps then I would like.

I'm not really sure what my problem with Daoud is. It's strange, because on paper, he's awesome! Battle cry + pulverize is a hilarious combo, he's a great tank with Robust and he doesn't have Derrick or Axel's accuracy issues. His axe growth isn't even bad at all, and while he does develop some accuracy issues if he's left on the bench too long, it takes a while for them to materialize. Not the best, but by all means he's a plenty useful and fun unit. And yet, I've just... never been able to bother with him. Heck, I needed to go into a run with "use Daoud" in mind as the primary goal for him to actually reach promotion lol. I guess I just don't like his design?

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So what does that say about "I don't see LMBS as an issue" then?

I never claimed it was "perfectly fine". In fact, I could list plenty of issues with Vesperia, but at least I can admit its failings, not pass them off as perfectly acceptable. 

Shit im pretty sure I stated "Yuri was busted af" in fact, go ahead a few pages back and find it. Im not gonna go ahead and claim something silly like "well not everyone can pull off his 150 hit comboes so therefore he is balanced" nah thats not how that works, its still an issue.

Every time I cross the bridge at Orzammar, Zevran starts to aggressively, disgustingly, shamelessly hit on Morrigan. You know, even though I'm right in front of him and we're supposed to have something. Not sure what it is, but it's something.

After like six attempts he finally got her a little flustered. Now she owes him 5 silvers. Great. I'm so glad that everyone in my team is a dick.

31 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Probably because he is a middle-aged man that does not have a beard.

Yeah, I think that's it. Utterly disgraceful, he'd be so much better if he had a beard.

...At least he's got some decent sideburns. It's... something.

Another thing to note about Vesperia: if you arent Yuri or Flynn (ofc not as good as Yuri) you wont be seeing alot of comboes without OVL. In Vesperia chaining artes requires the right skills to be equipped, but only Yuri gets access to em all.

And there, I've finished Bravely Default II, at a fair clip of 21 days after getting it. Not all of which I actually spent playing the game. A grinded to 99 and maxed out all the jobs with everyone. Final boss was obviously a pushover  with that kind of extreme preparation.

While I was concerned at first the job system was adhering too closely to BD1 and BS, without the willingness to experiment with new mechanics as in BS, BDII's original additions, improvements and whatnot did eventually come to the surface. I wish I had been more experimental during most of the game than I was, I stuck too closely to a pretty basic team. As always in a game with over 20 classes, there are some busted winners, and some unfortunate losers, yet overall it evens out. One criticism of the combat- bosses are too counter-happy, I don't mind bosses responding to my actions, and I like that the game tells me why the boss is countering, but the devs gave out way too many counters. Counter-Savvy became mandatory on my attackers.

Outside of combat... I'm afraid the Bravely franchise may have stagnated, or worse, regressed. The music isn't the problem, hewed closely to BD1's style, and it was serviceable, but I won't be remembering it. The mostly British voice acting was pleasant. The world and character design might be somewhat strange to some players, since the franchise is no longer bound to portable systems, yet I was fine with it as tradition and trying to capture the vibe of 16-bit JRPGs, but in modern 3D.

Where the regression issue mostly lay is the characters and plot. The four playable heroes each resemble one of the four heroes of the first Bravely Default. They have their differences in backstory and personality traits, Elvis departing the most from his predecessor (Ringabel) I'd say. Overall I feel the heroes are somewhat less exaggerated than their predecessors. Seth's and Gloria's "boy meets girl in odd circumstances" love for each other isn't as blatant as TizxAgnes. Adelle has nothing comparable to Edea's rather frequent "I saw the world in black and white, now I can't stand by my old beliefs any longer" in BD1 and overdone use of "Mrgrgrgr" in BS. Perhaps this is to the BDII's cast benefit, but it does make them more plain, and that isn't a good thing. The various Asterisk bearers who comprise most of the villains and bosses in this game have a few decent characters among them. However, if my memory of BD1 and BS aren't failing me, the bad guys on the whole seemed better written in the prior games. Not perfect mind you, plenty of cartoon villainy in all three Bravely games, yet Adam is a mockery contrasted against his predecessor Braev. And on the story, BDII does avoid the infamous lows of BD1, but the highs... does it have any? I'm not sure what I'd consider the peak of the story, and whatever peak it does have, it's closer to a hill made of landfill covered in grass and declared a municipal park than an Everest or something shorter in the Appalachians. Why is is that the story is so basic and lacking for energy? This is a bigger mistake than Bravely Second ever was.

Thankfully, I play games for gameplay first, so despite being so underwhelmed by BDII's narrative, I can say I don't regret playing it. Due to releasing on the highly popular Switch, BDII nearly matched the sales of the first BD, and with the recent PC release, ought to have surpassed it by now, making it the best selling of the three non-mobile Bravely games, over a million I know, but how much more I'm not sure off the top of my head. Bravely Second is still my favorite of the three games in terms of gameplay, and possibly narrative. Please be bolder and braver with the storyline next time, and keep up with finding new ways to be creative with old-fashioned turn-based JRPG combat and classes.