Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Okay, I have this prologue and first chapter done... now to tackle the question. Upload this story as I'm done, or wait a little so I can release it on a schedule.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:
Imagine if they used manji for Buddhism

Yeah, that ain't happening. HoI doesn't even let Germany use the actual Swastika, even if it would be the most justified case to show up.

FAo0k_hUcAIKHu6.jpg:large

Something feels off about the modern redo. It does make Max and Sami feel more alive, but apart from them, it's a step back. Emptier, and not adjusted for so tall a box.

And I've learned Nintendo is so resigned about this game in Japan, that they haven't bothered to announce a release date for it in that region. Yeah, there is no chance AW is being seriously revived beyond this.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There have been Hispanic Heritage Month ads playing at the radio at work which would be neat except they keep using Latinx and I have to keep myself from becoming a supervillain.

You're not a villain, you're an antihero. Noble goals, carried out in slightly objectionable ways.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FAo0k_hUcAIKHu6.jpg:large

Something feels off about the modern redo. It does make Max and Sami feel more alive, but apart from them, it's a step back. Emptier, and not adjusted for so tall a box.

Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. They also changed the design of the tank, it looks too plastic-y now.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I've learned Nintendo is so resigned about this game in Japan, that they haven't bothered to announce a release date for it in that region. Yeah, there is no chance AW is being seriously revived beyond this.

Oof.

Advance Wars history is so ironic. First it was not planned to be released outside Japan, for the same reason Fire Emblem used to not be. Then they change their minds and give us a chance. Then it releases in US... on September 10, 2001. Talk about timing. Then Europe saw it on January 2002, while Japan... Japan never got it. Technically. It wouldn't be until 2004 when both AW1 and AW2 (also not released in Japan alongside the other regions back in 2003) were released in a 2-in-1 deal.

It's clear Advance Wars simply lost its momentum in Japan when transitioning into the new millennium. Which can be seen now, with this remake bundle not giving signs it will be released in Japan.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Maybe an argument could be made that 9/11 and the War on Terror soured interests in warfare related games over there. I mean, FE also went through a decline period during the 2000's, no? Maybe more palatable due to being Medieval Fantasy instead of the more Modern and Realistic AW, but it still was going under.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oof.

It's not surprising.

To continue where Acacia left off, Dual Strike was released normally in Japan, before the rest of the world got it, as you'd expect. But it seems Japanese sales of Dual Strike were considered low at 35k. It was bad enough that they didn't bother releasing Days of Ruin commercially in Japan, only as a Club Nintendo digital reward. And the kinda sad thing about Days of Ruin, is that the plot was made more mainstream anime.:

thumb-197739.png

Look, girl with abnormal hair color on the cover in the arms of a teenage boy! She has amnesia and special knowledge she can't explain you know! You could tweak Days of Ruin's plot and make it work in Valkyria Chronicles without major thematic changes IMO. (Obviously you'd have to add a Valkyria and ragnite and set it in Europa, but that is mostly a matter of window dressing.) Maybe Japan could've taken to it at least narratively?

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, I'm in agreement with this. They also changed the design of the tank, it looks too plastic-y now.

The green lights look out of place on the tank, and there is less detail overall. Not good.

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It got quite cute-ified?

AW has had veins of realism and cutesy alike in it. That isn't the problem.

I'm okay with the lighter colors, but what has been drawn needs more detail. And center-left of the Switch art is prime visual real estate that needs to be filled in with more units, more action. If another tank, then why not an artillery?

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe an argument could be made that 9/11 and the War on Terror soured interests in warfare related games over there. I mean, FE also went through a decline period during the 2000's, no? Maybe more palatable due to being Medieval Fantasy instead of the more Modern and Realistic AW.

Counterpoint- SRW Impact (2002), second best-selling in the franchise according to Akurasu. Second only to Alpha 1. Alphas 2 & 3 and MX also look to have sold big post-9/11. Since it appears no game has reached 500k since Z1 (2008), this was a golden age of sales for SRW.

-But maybe licensed anime and sci-fi averted the issue.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Counterpoint- SRW Impact (2002), second best-selling in the franchise according to Akurasu. Second only to Alpha 1. Alphas 2 & 3 and MX also look to have sold big, since it appears no game has reached 500k since Z1.

-But maybe licensed anime and sci-fi averted the issue.

A good point, and then I'd mention SRW is even more fantastical in nature than FE. And yeah, it can be carried as well by it being a crossover patchwork of lots of anime series.

Thus shounen hot-bloodness triumphs again! lol

Oh yeah, I also finished writing the first chapter of a fanfic idea I have, more like trimmed revision actually, but I'm torn if to upload it as I finish them, or upload the whole thing on a schedule.

…Are you serious!?! Star Wolf’s theme? Really? I can believe that the song would be…wait, why am I listening to the OST of this fan game!?!

Edited by WraithReborn

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Looking great there, heh.

Wait, why the hell is the actual Lucas just hanging out--

Oooohh wait shit, it's Jimmy Neutron. I needed to notice the Carlsnake to realize... They look way too similar. They're lucky Nintendo does not know Mother 3 exists or they'd get sued for that.

12 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

https://i.redd.it/x3e5x1zck2571.jpg

I don't really get it, but it's Omori art of a sort, so I'll take it. Wait, is it a Jojo's reference? Is that it, they're those "stand" thingies for Omori's characters? No, wait, Digimon. They look more like Digimons. Digimen? Digimones? Digimee? Digimon, plural form? Oh, fuck if I know...

Hero rocking the white coat tho, he was never that stylish ingame

Give him a break, his wife was sold to the slavers and you couldn't save her.

True. He does deserve... not to be sacrificed by his own daughter in a mad ritual to grant herself 1 constitution.

Seriously, what the fuck? That's even more useless than the stupid Reaver specialization... Why would anyone do it outside of "haha I'm evil"?

Best conversation ever

Dragon Age has too many best conversations ever to keep count.

I'm still torn between Bhelen's yesman going "epic fail" in the most monotone voice possible or Sten growling at Derrick before commending him on being a courageous warrior.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ouch.

4 hours ago, Julizan said:

What's up?

Decided to check this place out again since I have a little break from essential stuff rn.

4 hours ago, Julizan said:

Besides of work and exams I have played quite a bit of games lately.

Any games in particular you'd like to share with us?

Also Direct was surprisingly appealing for me for multiple reasons.

I got nothing out of it other than Triangle Strategy's release date and some moderate interest on the Actraiser remake. I'm happy that you were happier with it than me, though!

57 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

I love how this video calls itself "arranged soundtrack" but it's just a collection of all the original versions of TLP's music. If anything, the TLP soundtrack itself is the arrangements. Arrangements on GBA soundfont that are... surprisingly competent, for the most part. Heck, they're more competent than the tracks a lot of modern hacks misguidedly use, which is all sorts of baffling.

…Are you serious!?! Star Wolf’s theme? Really?

Yep. Funnily enough, there's an extremely clumsy reference to Star Wolf in the game...

12-02200002693.png

...Buuuut Star Wolf's theme doesn't actually play there. It plays during the green units' phase in a later chapter. For no reason.

I can only commend Blazer's restraint. If he'd actually dropped the theme here, I think I might've died laughing.

wait, why am I listening to the OST of this fan game!?!

Because TLP is cool and you should play it, my dear old fossil.

👋 Rubenio and Shrimperor

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Any games in particular you'd like to share with us?

Currently I am playing "Tales of Arise" and "Mario Odyssey". 

Both are amazing so far.

There is not too much to say about first since it is still a standard "Tales"game of its series, just having excellent characterization and plot. However as for latter I was surprised about the open world. It reminds me on "Zelda" a lot. Not a fan of 3D "Zelda" games myself, but I love exploration in "Odyssey" so far.

Also playing "Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory" as filler. This one is an interesting rhythm game although probably not the best part to approach the series. Only have played a bit of III yet, but I had to delete my videos because of copyright complaints, so dropped it.

I decided to get a Wii U to have access to VC, so I picked up some classics (among others "Blazing Sword" and "Sacred Stones") like "Golden Sun" and "Kirby 64". I am glad I have purchased only one N64 game yet since they will make their appearance on Switch soon.

Edit: I also grabbed "Undertale" recently. Will play it before the "Deltarune" duology.

Edited by Julizan