Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

well damn, Nintendo

$50 for N64 and Genesis

why did I expect anything different

Me three weeks ago: "ehh, it'll be like a $10 increase probably".

Me now

IMG_20200803_165832.jpg

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

and they wonder why people pirate their games so much

they make some good games, but as a company, I swear they're getting worse and worse over time

Nintendo's so weird as a company because one hand they do this shit but on the other hand, they're one of the few big names in the industry that treats their employees like human beings. It's a field day with these guys.

56 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note, the other reason I haven't gotten Arise yet is that neat little detail that apparently, there are Artes as paid DLC. Not costumes, not additional characters that add some more fun, but are well and truly additional content.
No. Artes. As in, skills. For characters already existing in the game. And frankly, fuck that noise.

I didn't even know about this.

But it's Namco so I'm not surprised one bit.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but I'm not about to condemn someone to eternal damnation for it.

Same.

Although I do wish people would stop making it like it's so easy to do. I swear, emulation nerds get really pretentious sometimes. "Yeah bro, just buy this $1000 PC and then fuck around with these settings to maybe get the game running above 40 fps. It's so simple".

The alternative is modding the console but that's a whole different can of worms.

Alternatively go to a Latin American country and buy pirated copies because these are sold in public for cheap and nobody gave a shit. I speak from experience.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Dimension-Tripper-Neptune-TOP-NEP_2021_1

My condolences that your beloved franchise is stuck in spinoff purgatory.

I can't believe Metroid continued it's storyline before Neptunia.

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And is the contrary true so that if I think stress will grant immortality I'll be able to live forever?

Alas, no more than eating an apple a day makes you immortal.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

guess I'll be gone sooner than I think if I just keep believing that stress is harmful

We can change our thought processes!

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Where are the sources on this? Asking because this is something I've never heard.

It's a very interesting TED talk, so whike I can fully advocate for watching it, not everyone will have the time, so I can link the studies cited in the talk later on today if you don't wanna.

As for pirating, I tell myself it's because of morals and not needing to support big compaines, but it's actually becauze I'm cheap and don't like spending money.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Although I do wish people would stop making it like it's so easy to do. I swear, emulation nerds get really pretentious sometimes. "Yeah bro, just buy this $1000 PC and then fuck around with these settings to maybe get the game running above 40 fps. It's so simple".

It depends on the emulator. GBA, for example, can be emulated on a potato, the emulators themselves are generally pretty intuitive to use, the games are easily found online and extremely light... It's just great overall. Then there's something like Citra, which requires a beefy computer, still suffers from occassional slowdowns and glitches out in entirely different ways for each user.

But yeah, I get what you mean. I myself forget sometimes that not everyone has a computer that can easily run emulators. I apologize for that.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It depends on the emulator. GBA, for example, can be emulated on a potato, the emulators themselves are generally pretty intuitive to use, the games are easily

Oh yeah, there's definitely a section of emulators that are easy to run. The sixth gen of consoles (PS2, GameCube, Xbox) is usually the cutoff point. GameCube and even Wii can be simple to run but you might have trouble with the beefier consoles. Anything past that and tough luck. Wii U and Switch emulation will require a beefy PC and don't even think about PS4/Xbone emulation.

Handhelds are far easier because of their nature. It's really just 3DS that will vary with the results.

All of this assumes you're running on Windows though.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But yeah, I get what you mean. I myself forget sometimes that not everyone has a computer that can easily run emulators. I apologize for that.

Nah, it's fine, I wasn't accusing you of anything. I'm talking about what I've seen elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It IS simple, go buy a $2000 PC instead! Xd that way you can really show em!

I guess I might as well say something on piracy when everyone else is. I mean, for the fact we've dealt with the series this forum's associated with I can't think of one of us who can be confirmed to have never pirated. It'd be hypocritical for me to argue against it, especially as I have definitely done so, much as I rather not do so with more current titles.

And with the main focus of our talk about it being for older titles I don't really feel making any argument against it, with a point to consider that it's likely many of those who worked on any one title are long gone, with the tendency of the videogame industry to employment having some degree of precarity. As for Dread, it's looking like Mercurystream are going to give a reason for people to do so if the talk of how the company treated developers holds true. I'm not someone who was picking it up at launch, but I may have been likely to purchase it new in some form.

And yet. I still feel a bit mixed about doing so for current gen. Again, I personally am not that enthused to do so. I don't have much more to expand on why though from what I've already said.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It depends on the emulator. GBA, for example, can be emulated on a potato, the emulators themselves are generally pretty intuitive to use, the games are easily found online and extremely light... It's just great overall. Then there's something like Citra, which requires a beefy computer, still suffers from occassional slowdowns and glitches out in entirely different ways for each user.

Potato should be able to run Doom.

Yeah, prior to this laptop (Which keep in mind I spent ~€350 on) I felt it could be troublesome at times, but it has been pretty good even when sped up for later gen consoles than GBA.

"While there will be nine Nintendo 64 games available for the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack at launch, there will be a whopping 14 Sega Genesis games available for the service out of the gate."

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

All you need is Nep, there was nothing more.

Truth.

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My condolences that your beloved franchise is stuck in spinoff purgatory.

Honestly, I don't even think it's that big a deal.
Spinoffs are a good way to explore this universe in different ways without the "baggage" that comes with adhering to the main canon, which may or may not work to the series' advantage, overall. Not to mention they can also try out different styles of gameplay, as well, like Super Neptunia RPG, that was a platformer, or Cyberdimension Neptunia, which was an MMO/ARPG mix, or the upcoming Ninja Wars that seems to go in the direction of full-on Musou.

Ultimately, whether it's spin-off or mainline games, I'm just happy the series is still alive. And even if it dies, I'll still have the games that exist, and the memories I made with them.

Also, that screenshot you posted looks legitimately awesome. I'm interested now. xD

53 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

HILDA! HILDA!

Ruben in shambles

I will now go on a rant.

Insert rant here.

49 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Been a good while now, still can't get Confess the Truth (2015) and Partners ~ The Game is Afoot out of my head. Great Ace Attorney so good.

I still listen to the game's OST from time to time. It's really good. I mean, heck, I actually listened to some of it long before the games were even translated! How I went all that time with only a couple of spoilers is anyone's guess.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I still listen to the game's OST from time to time. It's really good. I mean, heck, I actually listened to some of it long before the games were even translated! How I went all that time with only a couple of spoilers is anyone's guess.

It's so good. Not Apollo Justice's Overtaken good, but good nonetheless

fake edit: And Spellbreaker from PL & PW.

5 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

It's so good. Not Apollo Justice's Overtaken good, but good nonetheless

fake edit: And Spellbreaker from PL & PW.

I'm a Wanting to Find the Truth guy, myself. And well, The Man Who Masterminds the Game, but that one is about as spoilerific as the youtube recommendations feed. I do not recommend looking it up unless you've played Investigations 2.

Wouldn't surprise me if the GBA was the only platform that had at least the potential to have it's sales significantly impacted by emulation. Because GBA emulation was already pretty damn sweet back then.
Not to mention the GBA required no external hardware and has no home menu or any kind of build-in software that the player needed to interact with. Just plug in the cartridge, press Power and the game starts. No need to even worry about a memory card. No doubt helped keeping the emulators themselves simple and easy to use.

Edited by BrightBow

Ah side quests, how I missed you in the last Trails game. These make the game feel more Trailsy, and feeling Trailsy is always a good thing, my least favorite parts of SC were the extremely linear sections that didn’t feel like Trails (read: chapter 7).

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There is no Ruben%, Sooks. Only Sooks%. And I'm not Sooks, am I?

Or are you?

4 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

guess I'll be gone sooner than I think if I just keep believing that stress is harmful

So believe stress isn’t harmful! No one wants you to be gone, after all. I definitely don’t.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Obviously there are dickheads in the indie industry, like everywhere,

Wait, what? What are you talking about? I mean, I don’t think it’s physically impossible for an indie dev to not be perfect, but you make it sound like this is a prevalent issue. I’ve never heard of anything like that (probably because I can count the amount of indie titles I’ve played on one hand (Omori, Undertale, DDLC, Knights of Pen and Paper II, and Kindergarten 2 (although I pirated that last one because I didn’t really think about piracy as, well, pirating when I was younger, maybe I should actually buy it since I have a steam account, I do kind of want to actually play the first one)).

44 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the GBA was the only platform that had at least the potential to have it's sales significantly impacted by emulation. Because GBA emulation was already pretty damn sweet back then.
Not to mention the GBA required no external hardware and has no home menu or any kind of build-in software that the player needed to interact with. Just plug in the cartridge, press Power and the game starts. No need to even worry about a memory card. No doubt helped keeping the emulators themselves simple and easy to use.

Yes, among all consoles, GBA (and the rest of the gameboys, for that matter) stands out as the one with the best emulation for the longest time.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Or are you?

I mean, have we ever seen you and I in the same room? Didn't think so...

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait, what? What are you talking about? I mean, I don’t think it’s physically impossible for an indie dev to not be perfect, but you make it sound like this is a prevalent issue. I’ve never heard of anything like that

If I made it sound like that, I apologize. There's definitely few and far between of those kinds in the indie industry, certianly less than in the triple A industry. Just felt I had to bring up the possibility, it's not like it's sunshine and rainbows overthere either. Even if it's a lot closer, haha.

Wow, they didn’t let the limitation of tiny character models stop them from giving the purple haired girl a very “sizable” design.

Edited by Sooks

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I made it sound like that, I apologize. There's definitely few and far between of those kinds in the indie industry, certianly less than in the triple A industry. Just felt I had to bring up the possibility, it's not like it's sunshine and rainbows overthere either. Even if it's a lot closer, haha.

I'm reminded of Phil Fish's ego, but I haven't been following the indie scene in ages so I don't have as many examples as I'd like. And even then Phil Fish isn't on the level of Blizzard.

40 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wow, they didn’t let the limitation of tiny character models stop them from giving the purple haired girl a very “sizable” design.

Classic Trails. I mean, have you forgotten Schera's S-break animation already?

38 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'm reminded of Phil Fish's ego, but I haven't been following the indie scene in ages so I don't have as many examples as I'd like. And even then Phil Fish isn't on the level of Blizzard.

I mean, there are a few notorious examples, but as you say, none of them really go beyond being idiots with big egos delivering unfulfilled promises. None of them can even begin to compare to companies like EA lol.

Edited by Saint Rubenio