• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Having played a little more (partway into Day 4, I think I can smell the trap that's been set), I can say I see that Rindo isn't entirely dissimilar to Neku. Again, it's been over a decade for me, but Neku was more outwardly antisocial, Rindo keeps most of his antisocial thoughts beneath the surface.

Although, if Nagi's dive into Rindo that precedes the gameplay introduction of his time rewind powers was supposed to make me think Rindo selfish and cold, I don't think it exactly worked. His thoughts overall were believable in the circumstances I felt. As for the social network bio page pointing out the sociability contradiction in the Swallow friendliness, it isn't wrongfully hypocritical to me if that's what it's supposed to be pointing out. Rindo has 1 friend off the Internet, I have none. I am a little non compos mentis and highly flawed in other ways, but I think I'm a decent person despite the absence of flesh buddies. I accept that some people will be more open online than off, and it's fine so as long as they treat others with basic politeness offline, which Rindo has been pretty good with so far.

To convince me he is actually badly antisocial, Rindo is going to have to say or do something a lot worse, like sell out the other three heroes for his exclusive gain. Or more mildly, assign blame to others that he deserves to take. Were he to do such things, then Rindo would be in a way be anti-Neku, losing trust as the game progresses. Or at least, Rindo would make his buried antisocial nature come violently to the surface, then develop towards trusting again before the story ends to give him a satisfying character arc. Unless, the final battle were to end, and then Rindo betrays the expectations of others for his own sake, but things work out happily ever after anyhow. The ending of TWEWY I remind myself, was bittersweet, it could be the case again.

The Friendship Points system is another way for the game to emphasize "bonds are important", it comes off as a little ham-fisted. Nonetheless, it's an interesting use for a worldwide NPC relationship chart. Not that I think I'd necessarily want Xenoblade copying it.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Honestly with how much you know about the previous games, I thought you've beaten at least some of them.

I cleared RF1 twice, and RFF once (although I never fought the serpent I'm told is at the bottom of the icy ruins (I couldn't figure out how to progress further), nor the Kraken atop Whale Island).

• For RF2, this is where I'm the least progressed. It was really unnecessary spending a whole year in the first generation, nothing worth delaying for. I took out at least the spring and summer bosses I think, and very possibly the autumnal demon wall, the ice mammoth remains (I tried fighting it I know, but I know I didn't win), and so does the final dungeon.
  • For RF3, I can't remember exactly why I stopped, but I could easily clear it out in an IRL day if I had the motivation to do so. I'm pretty sure I'm more than prepared for the end of it. I remember I got my crafting levels high enough to make the extra long invisible one-handed sword and the moves-too-fast rocket shoes. Autumn area boss (I think), winter area boss, story events, wed a lady, final boss, ending. Pretty simple. 
  • For ToD, I made it all the way to the Wind Shrine, the final of the four dungeons. But, I never as much as stepped foot in there. I actually started a second file of the game, all the way back to third shrine I think, but yet again, I never finished the file.

I've been a serial incompletionist with games in the past. and still am to some extent. RFs being long... maybe it was burnout? It's in my ever so strange nature to around the 70-99% zone to leave a game undone, even when I enjoyed them.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

at the very least RF2, given the fondness you seem to have for the game

In this case though, there is this odd case of "what I can envision in my head, is not what's actually there". The disconnect doesn't entirely turn me off from completing the game, but it is a feeling that didn't help with the experience. The things in my head that get in the way lean towards the feels side of things, namely.:

Spoiler
  • Aaron and Aria should exist as twins, as in the second generation opening. As is, whichever isn't born, simply doesn't exist at all.
    • Think of the dynamism that'd be possible if there were two main characters constantly conversing with each other. It'd really change things up.
  • A series of cutscenes between the two halves of the game to build the bond between Kyle and his twins. Which would slow down the generation transition and give a stronger sense of the passing of time.
  • Actual events between the twins and their mother. If these events could be made non-generic, it'd add further weight to who you choose as Kyle's spouse.
    • I don't believe the NPC children get significant events with their parents either, that'd be nice to fix too.
    • If a spouse comes with in-laws as it does the greater half of cases (Mana, Alicia, Rosalind, Dorothy), be sure to either fit these into the mother-twins events, or add special twins-relatives events too.
  • A few second generation gameplay perks when it comes to your choice for Kyle's bride.
    • Some skill and or stat level boosts specific to each mother. Can be assigned arbitrarily in some instances, but you can possibly squeeze a little flavor out of this. Rosalind likes food, so either start the kids' cooking level at like 11 instead of 1, or give them a cooking skill EXP multiplier.
    • A town-oriented bonus of some kind. Mana's father should be willing to sell stuff at a discount to his grandkids don't ask why 7-year-olds are farming and handling large amounts of money. Julia ran the bathhouse in the first generation, so maybe a second/unlimited daily baths?
  • Now this is really a stretch for any Japanese game, but aging the characters a little after the first generation is over.
    • At the least, age up Cammy and Roy. They were children of undefined ages in the first generation, the passing of 7 years should bring them up into their teenage years, demanding a major redesign.

...But, I can forgive Marvelous for not including these things. Rune Factory was budget at the time, even if it's got enough popularity to maybe no longer be that way anymore. It's more my fault than anything else.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

42 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

So it's FEE3 time

And apparently there's a SGW kaizo on the plan @Saint Rubenio

I'm aware, yes. I'll check it out.

Oh hey, Storge is also on the lineup. Cool. I mean, not for me, I've explored the game rather thoroughly, but I hope it gets the exposure it deserves.

What else... Well, the one just named Subtitle just piqued my interest. Dark Dragon reborn is made by the same fellow who made the FE8 route fusion hack, that's cool. Lonely Mirror, that one also deserves a place. Man, there's a lot of hacks, aren't there? I still remember the times when one hack being finished was an unbelievable occurrence. We're living in the golden age of FE fangames, folks.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Come now, Trails is more subtle than that, they wouldn't be so obvious about their villain, would they?

No, they wouldn’t, considering [spoilers] and [spoilers]. This character was actually a reference to the previous games.

I don’t know why they made her look so evil in this one though. I mean, I guess she could be evil, but since her introduction is in a side quest that doesn’t feel very likely.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Truth be told, I didn't pick up on Fret being a guy until today.😅The hairdo got me, as did the wrongful assumption of a hero team of the sexes balanced.

The latter's a little disappointing, but I do like Fret and his silly remind pics.

As for gameplay, I'll say that it is being overwhelming.

Ah it certainly has it's moments. I have gotten better at it but some fights are definitely harder if you're not careful.

I almost lost against the ape boss, and this is just the game's beginning.

When I played the demo I got beaten by it twice I think, I didn't understand the simple action of dodging from the centre.

Yet for some reason I tried to keep in Hard as much as possible when I had the chance.

I also found the game's first Pig Noise. Hearing Ooparts again was a nugget of nostalgia. It's the epitome of TWEWY's eclectic tunes.

I still miss Junk Garage.

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, if Nagi's dive into Rindo that precedes the gameplay introduction of his time rewind powers was supposed to make me think Rindo selfish and cold, I don't think it exactly worked. His thoughts overall were believable in the circumstances I felt. As for the social network bio page pointing out the sociability contradiction in the Swallow friendliness, it isn't wrongfully hypocritical to me if that's what it's supposed to be pointing out. Rindo has 1 friend off the Internet, I have none. I am a little non compos mentis and highly flawed in other ways, but I think I'm a decent person despite the absence of flesh buddies. I accept that some people will be more open online than off, and it's fine so as long as they treat others with basic politeness offline, which Rindo has been pretty good with so far.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To convince me he is actually badly antisocial, Rindo is going to have to say or do something a lot worse, like sell out the other three heroes for his exclusive gain. Or more mildly, assign blame to others that he deserves to take. Were he to do such things, then Rindo would be in a way be anti-Neku, losing trust as the game progresses. Or at least, Rindo would make his buried antisocial nature come violently to the surface, then develop towards trusting again before the story ends to give him a satisfying character arc. Unless, the final battle were to end, and then Rindo betrays the expectations of others for his own sake, but things work out happily ever after anyhow. The ending of TWEWY I remind myself, was bittersweet, it could be the case again.

I don't think he's that close a comparison to Neku, he's not got much of an anti-social tendency. You'll see as the game goes on but he can at times be slow to contribute to a situation and hesitant in decision making.

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

No, they wouldn’t, considering [spoilers] and [spoilers].

Yeah. I was being sarcastic.

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I don’t know why they made her look so evil in this one though. I mean, I guess she could be evil, but since her introduction is in a side quest that doesn’t feel very likely.

Twist villain! Twist villain! She's gonna murder everyone! Kill her now and save yourself the trouble!

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah. I was being sarcastic.

But don’t you want to hear about how [spoilers] is the greatest villain of all time and you‘re wrong about everything again?

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But don’t you want to hear about how [spoilers] is the greatest villain of all time and you‘re wrong about everything again?

Let me think.

No.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, Armagon said:

Interacting with you could never be a displeasure my friend.

On 10/19/2021 at 6:13 PM, Benice said:

@DragonFlames

@Dragonflame323

I, too, shall add my voice to the army of people who enjoy your presence here! Sorry that it's going poorly for you right now, but if you need help, I'll do my best to lend a hand.

EDIT:

...I pinged the wrong person, didn't I?

On 10/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, lightcosmo said:

Shrimpy said it right, you belong here with us, and no one feels any differently. 

Also, i hope that things get better for you!

On 10/19/2021 at 2:00 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

🙂

Well I only got like four hours of sleep two nights ago, so I can sympathize.

And as for the self-deprecation and critical analysis of one's present life resulting in negative mental health effects, you're not alone. The difference may be I'm a little more willing to vent about it here, in interesting ways.😅 (It feels like I've gone through one heckuva character arc in the past week, but where is my ancient weapon of legend or unsealed and fully mastered superpowers then? This is a ripoff!) But that only came after quite a few days where I laid in bed or on the couch, in dreadful and utterly irrational anticipation of the final release that is, hopefully, far far far off in my future, but to the death-obsessed mind, was never objectively far enough away to be felt as anything except very very close.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, Shrimp γ said:

I like interacting with you, and i am pretty sure most of us here do, so you you are not and will never be a waste of space.

I do understand you tho. Yesterday i got a grim reminder of my dark illness days, and my body was acting up the whole night to the point i couldn't sleep until 10 in the morning, and all i could think of

"Please, not again. Not this again. I don't want to return to this no no no."

Get well soon, Draggy, and it's always a pleasure interacting with you and not a displeasure!

On 10/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, Sooks said:

Oof, I hope everything gets better. I certainly don’t considering interacting with you a displeasure or think you’re a waste of space.

I appreciate your kind words, guys... even if I'm a bit late in offering my gratitude...

@Shrimp γ
I was playing OJ with some friends last night, and during one game, while I was playing as Mio, my hand looked like this:
0LcCeZX.png

This was shortly after I decided Mio would not be a lucky character for me the way Ellie is... apparently, she heard me and wanted to prove me wrong, haha

Spoiler

“Kitty” is probably either Renne or Tio. Tio makes more sense on principle because kitty, but her accepting the request doesn’t make sense if that’s true. Meanwhile, Renne referred to a person as “freckles” way back when she first appeared and the game thought I wouldn’t notice when a kid around her age with freckles so prominent they’re visible on his 3D model showed up not that long after.

On the topic of Trails and subtlety...
I can't judge the older Trails games, but the twist villains in Falcom's games that I have seen are only surprising and not painfully obvious if you haven't played any JRPG/never watched any kind of (shounen) anime before.

Falcom and sublety go together like water and oil, in this regard.
That is to say, they aren't. At all.

The only way their games "know" how to keep a secret is if they make the villains' motivations as nebulous and convoluted as possible... which also hides just how atrocious a lot of the villains *coughcoughOuroboroscoughunconvincingcough* are.
(Maybe spoilerish stuff incoming. Also rant warning. Slightly).

Spoiler

But a villain whose motive I don't know is one I don't care about... in that regard, the many evil for evil's sake dark dragon cults of FE are actually better villains than that stupid organization, because they at least have clearly defined goals I can go "oh yeah, that's what they want to do". With Ouroboros, it's like... just... no (this is how constructive criticism works, yo).
I mean, I do not mind not knowing an antagonist's motives right out the gate. That would be sort of boring.
But I expect to at least know a little more about them than that they have some kind of nebulous plan with a name that sounds like a Chuuni came up with it. And which has 'stages' that are so arbitrarily defined that it borders on completely ridiculous (which also falls into the trap of it absolutely assassinating all tension, because we cannot gauge the threat level of them saying "plan stage completed" if we don't know what the fuck the plan is even about). Also, this whole "you think you defeated me, but actually I won, because it was part of my master plan, and this just completed a stage... somehow" doesn't sound threatening at all. It sounds like the equivalent of the kid that goes "nuh-uh, you can't beat me because invincibility shield" while playing... which should tell you how seriously I took that friggin' organization after the second time this happened.

Suffice it to say, if I ever teach a writing class, I would use Ouroboros as an example of what NOT to do when writing antagonists.

And I am still angry at Falcom for having the gall to be all smug about a certain trope the Cold Steel games singlehandedly managed to turn into a berserk button for me, namely early in FC, when Josette and her group escape for the umpteenth time and Schera is like "they got away AGAIN? This is getting old!"
Trails is the absolute last series I want to see a line like that in, considering CS2 and 3 are just a constant agonizing string of this garbage.
This was also the precise point I gave up on the game, and the series as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Yes. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

36 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I appreciate your kind words, guys... even if I'm a bit late in offering my gratitude...

I didn't say anything, did I. Must've slipped my mind. My apologies. I'd just like to (extremely late) reiterate what everyone else said. It's good to have you around, man. I mean, who else can I look to for agreement about Trails? Everyone else either loves it or doesn't really know it.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I can't judge the older Trails games, but the twist villains in Falcom's games that I have seen are only surprising and not painfully obvious if you haven't played any JRPG/never watched any kind of (shounen) anime before.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm not all that familiar with those topics, since you know me, I'm not particularly fond of them. And yet the second the twist villain from Trails FC appeared I immediately called it. The only way that dude could be any more blatant is if he carried a big neon sign around that said "HELLO I AM BAD GUY."

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Got all speedy clears in SGW Ü

Congratulations, Shrimpers! I must admit I missed a couple in my first run.

Just now, Shrimp γ said:

FML

It's Thracia 24x....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand there you are. The one map that even a SGW fanboy like me cannot defend. By far the worst map in the entire game, and the only one I can safely say I do not enjoy at all.

People have tried countless times to talk reason into Blademaster. He insists that he already tweaked and improved the map, that you can easily warpskip it if you want and that he really wants to maintain the homage to Thracia, since he loves it so much. I mean, far be it from me to tell him how to make his game, he spent 10 years on it and I believe it came up overall excellent, but... Yeah, I'm sorry, this wasn't a good call. Of all maps from Thracia, why the one that is widely regarded as one of the worst in the game and the franchise as a whole?

It's nowhere near as bad as the original, thanks to the multiple tweaks and improvements, but... well, it still sucks. At least Blademaster isn't lying - It's very easily warpskipped, if it comes to that. You just need to warp to the boss, kill him and then seize the arrive point. Doesn't even need to be Astrea, game's that nice, and you're handed a warp staff at the start. Still, it's a bit worrying when the dev himself recommends skipping his map.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People have tried countless times to talk reason into Blademaster.

Yrah i've seen this discussion a while ago iirc

Anything worthwhile in the map or should i just skip?

Even breathing is difficult...

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's nowhere near as bad as the original, thanks to the multiple tweaks and improvements, but... well, it still sucks. At least Blademaster isn't lying - It's very easily warpskipped, if it comes to that. You just need to warp to the boss, kill him and then seize the arrive point. Doesn't even need to be Astrea, game's that nice, and you're handed a warp staff at the start. Still, it's a bit worrying when the dev himself recommends skipping his map.

Why waste time tweaking a map if warpskipping is encouraged?

13 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Yrah i've seen this discussion a while ago iirc

Anything worthwhile in the map or should i just skip?

The recruitable is fine. He might be better than your trained paladins, and he has a 1-3 range personal. He's not needed for anything else, however, and if you've no room / no desire to drop anyone for him, it might not be worthwhile to grab him. Besides, I think with some creative warp and rescue use you might even be able to grab him without dealing with the map. The chests are all garbage, don't even bother with those if you don't want to.

Honestly, I would just recommend skipping it. I never do, because I don't like warpskipping on principle, but... It's just not fun. There's siege tomes in the darkness, a crapton of status staves, barons to slow down your progress, powerful axemen and magicians harrassing you from the darkness, the map takes you on a long, drawn out spiral that takes far longer than any other map in the game, and I haven't even mentioned the stupid warp tiles yet. I shit you not, Blademaster's defense for the warp tiles was "I left them in the same spots as in the original map, I assumed everyone would look up a guide." That's not the sort of mindset you should have when making a game, I don't think...

9 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

Why waste time tweaking a map if warpskipping is encouraged?

Public outrage. Blademaster (rightfully) received a ton of complaints about the map. Even people who overall enjoyed the game, like myself, made a point to mention "hey, this map? Love your game, but this ain't cool man." So Blademaster tried to make improvements to the map, such as opening a path on the western side so the western team doesn't spend the entire chapter trying to catch up, or increasing the list of units immune to the warp tiles.

When that failed to fix the map, because it sucks on a grander scale than what can be fixed with small tweaks, he began to handwave the issue by arguing it was easy to warpskip if you don't like it. An excuse that I find to be rather poor, considering this reliance on warpskipping is precisely my biggest problem with Thracia and the reason I don't like replaying it that much.

Now, I don't want to sound overly negative. I love the game to pieces, I think Blademaster did a wonderful job and had plenty of great ideas, not to mention for the most part he's listened to feedback. But this whole map was just a bad decision on the creator's part, and he stubbornly stands by it, too.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's siege tomes in the darknes

Wtf

I don't remember them being on that map in Thracia

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

assumed everyone would look up a guide.

Ah yes

Perfect game design

What's next, ambush spawns?

Edited by Shrimp γ

1 minute ago, Shrimp γ said:

Wtf

They don't deal much damage and are super squishy, so they fall easily to your own long-range weapons. But... Yeah.  Siege tomes in the darkness. It's dumb.

Ah yes

Perfect game design

I will make no attempts to defend it. Blademaster was clearly blinded by his love for Thracia here.

What's next, ambush spawns?

Thankfully, no.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

will make no attempts to defend it. Blademaster was clearly blinded by his love for Thracia here.

Inb4 unironically part of the "Thracia peak human achievement" gang.

Has been a few years since i've seen anyone say that tho