Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

16 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Your a professional Squall observer!? 

He was the first the first thing that came to mind for an "unreflective" protagonist, that Dayni would understand at least. Kalas was the actual first unreflective protagonist I could think of, but only I and Armagon know him.

...Although I'm surprisingly struggling to think of many entirely unreflective protagonists actually. Squall I had to include a caveat for, and I already ruled out saying Luke fon Fabre, in that while it is realistically within his capacities to change his attitude, he upbringing makes also makes to a significant degree understandable that he would be incapable of changing. Beyond these, and the first TWEWY's Neku I'd say (why didn't I use this example earlier then?), I'm not able to find many JRPG protagonists whose flaws involve stubborn personality traits that need to get hammered out. Much more often, if there is any fault inside in the protagonist character, it's something psychological they need to built up, not knock down. -Actually, maybe Shulk, in the sense he ultimately has to get rid of some hate, even though he doesn't act asinine to his comrades. (And maybe Eternal Punishment Tatsuya? Except his lack of reflection doesn't make him an arse either, he doesn't reflect and remove the personality obstacle in his way because he cares about others.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

@Shrimp γ Hey Shrimpers, I have a question. I keep seeing this Kurisu person pop up in Steam reviews of Steins;Gate. Specifically, people thirst big time for this individual. Should I be worried about anime shenanigans concerning this character? I have an inkling of who they might be, but I am deathly afraid of spoilers if I google the name to confirm my suspicions.

1 hour ago, Shrimp γ said:

A map filled with nothing but dragons. How fun.

NOT

TearRing Saga moment.

1 hour ago, DodgeDusk said:

Thracia is the peak of human achievement.

Yeah I guess bad games would be the peak of human achievement.

Just now, Armagon said:

You should know, Mr. "Every Game I Call A Masterpiece Is Bad."

Okay maybe Kid Icarus is okay if you have the means to play it properly

But that's all the concessions I'm making

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You should know, Mr. "Every Game I Call A Masterpiece Is Bad."

Yes. They're bad games. In fact, every game ever made is bad. There is not a single good video game.

..... except for.....

DESERT BUS!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Yes. They're bad games. In fact, every game ever made is bad. There is not a single good video game.

..... except for.....

DESERT BUS!

I don't believe you've ever said something so true before.

I believe Crazybus deserves an honorable mention, however, for having the only soundtrack in the history of videogames that is not bad.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'll say this: all y'all have bad opinions.

4 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

I’m two ciders down and…I’m only…slightly drunk…

weak

Has anybody heard or, dare I say, played Trapper Knight, Sharpshooter Princess? It's a SRPG on Steam akin to Fire Emblem. The hard mode on it is legitimately challenging, and the gimmick the main character has is interesting: he can lay traps which all have various effects depending on if a foe is on it/in it's range.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

https://i.imgur.com/KrqjVH9.png

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Specifically, people thirst big time for this individual.

People thirst for her because she's best girl and hot, not because she's sexualized.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Had my first game over fighting some Noise during an optional dive into a smart child. The game makes it all too easy to make the foolish error of spamming your attacks all at once at an enemy, entirely oblivious to incoming attacks and thus losing half your HP without realizing it. Taking it slow, and taking ideally as I'd imagine it to be -keeping a rhythm going of one attack into another into another whilst moving and dodging appropriately- will be difficult to learn and sink in.

This is something that I admittedly can have trouble mastering.

Spoiler

Needless to say I have not mastered it sufficiently for the superboss.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I haven't bought anything either. I never really did buy food or clothes during the first TWEWY until the postgame. Yen isn't so plentiful that I can choose willy nilly, so ultimately I choose nothing at all. I have an awful hunch this is going to bite me later.

I'd argue getting food for the party as you go is for the best. It empties as you fight (about 10% per reduction) and these increases in stats are more appreciable over time as you gradually improve your party. One thing I tend to do is bring myself as close to 100% full while still being below it so I could purchase more food as I went. I actually prefer it to the original in the context of the main game. Going for stuff that they love is also helpful to this.

As for outfits, I was pretty slow to in the first week or so but you'll want to consider doing so when you have enough to work with. The social network can help with this as well as some characters give clothing. This is part of why I was constantly lowering my level throughout the game to increase drop rates.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't say whether I'd rather have a "weak" protagonist or an unreflective one. By which I mean a protagonist whose faults are to an extent beyond their own control, compared to a protagonist whose faults are readily within their capacity to change. For an example of the latter, I'll say old Squall "Whatever" Leonhart, it is well within his power to quit being antisocial, but he readily doesn't. (Although, Squall's antisocial behavior is rooted in his childhood, and does one readily have the power to overcome childhood issues?)

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He was the first the first thing that came to mind for an "unreflective" protagonist, that Dayni would understand at least. Kalas was the actual first unreflective protagonist I could think of, but only I and Armagon know him.

Oh man, that might not have been the best pick after all, I've never gotten all that far into FFVIII.

The Dora movie is kind of a meme. And that's okay. I had some laughs watching it.

7 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Hey! Alcoholism rums in the family and I’m allowed to get as whomped as I drunk a be.

Oh, carry on! Not gonna stop you (though obviously please don't ever become dependent on it). I'm just saying in my circle, two isn't a lot. Unless they're those huge 4L bottles. Then good going.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

What!?

I just didn't get into the combat and story all that much (Like, cleared the first combat mission where they do a sea landing, bit further than that, can't really recall). Yes, it objectively looks better than VII. This was not enough for me at the time

(Also pretty much all the FF's I prefer (excluding what, VII and X?) have more party members in combat I am not sorry)

2 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Oh, carry on! Not gonna stop you (though obviously please don't ever become dependent on it). I'm just saying in my circle, two isn't a lot. Unless they're those huge 4L bottles. Then good going.

Truly these are the 40's (dl) we need.

Spoiler

Renne’s parents wondering “what if it happened AGAIN?” after Colin disappeared… 😭

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

@Shrimp γ Hey Shrimpers, I have a question. I keep seeing this Kurisu person pop up in Steam reviews of Steins;Gate. Specifically, people thirst big time for this individual. Should I be worried about anime shenanigans concerning this character? I have an inkling of who they might be, but I am deathly afraid of spoilers if I google the name to confirm my suspicions.

I googled this character and she is wearing a perfectly normal outfit, which I assume to be her outfit because it was the same in every picture.

Incidentally, is the VN choice based and are you going to play it? No particular reason why I’m asking.

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Oh man, that might not have been the best pick after all, I've never gotten all that far into FFVIII.

mlOpAdk.jpg

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

This is something that I admittedly can have trouble mastering.

A fellow struggler? Glad to hear it!😄

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'd argue getting food for the party as you go is for the best. It empties as you fight (about 10% per reduction) and these increases in stats are more appreciable over time as you gradually improve your party. One thing I tend to do is bring myself as close to 100% full while still being below it so I could purchase more food as I went. I actually prefer it to the original in the context of the main game. Going for stuff that they love is also helpful to this.

True, I was thinking food first. Not mention you have to eat to be Stylish enough to wear most stuff. (I prefer the old fashion stat's name- Bravery. Because Neku in a women's bikini does not require a sense of style, it requires a sense of true bravery, even if 99.99% of people can't see him wearing it.)

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I just didn't get into the combat and story all that much (Like, cleared the first combat mission where they do a sea landing, bit further than that, can't really recall). Yes, it objectively looks better than VII. This was not enough for me at the time

Sorry for my error of assumption. And I understand your criticisms. VIII isn't my favorite FF either.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

True, I was thinking food first. Not mention you have to eat to be Stylish enough to wear most stuff. (I prefer the old fashion stat's name- Bravery. Because Neku in a women's bikini does not require a sense of style, it requires a sense of true bravery, even if 99.99% of people can't see him wearing it.)

Okay, this is something to clarify. You can wear items that you haven't got enough style for in Neo but you can't get their abilities. It's a choice I understand, but for gameplay-story integration the original knocks it out of the park.

(Yeah, 99.99% of people couldn't see Neku during that scene in the first week but he was definitely not brave enough then.)

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, so not as far for:

Not sure. I don't think so, but I can't be certain.

19 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

I'll say this: all y'all have bad opinions.

Pssh. Says who? You? Who are you to judge me?

19 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Has anybody heard or, dare I say, played Trapper Knight, Sharpshooter Princess? It's a SRPG on Steam akin to Fire Emblem. The hard mode on it is legitimately challenging, and the gimmick the main character has is interesting: he can lay traps which all have various effects depending on if a foe is on it/in it's range.

I've never heard of it, no. Lemme see... Okay, so here's the Steam page. Let's see what the user reviews have to say.

"A great TRPG based on Fire Emblem and more specifically FE9 and FE10."

But you, as well as plenty of reviews, say the hardmode is challenging, so that doesn't add up...

Anyway, enough sassing PoR. Any characters you think I'd like, or is the lineup all generic anime teens, as usual? This is very important. I cannot play a videogame if it only has anime teens, that is the way of Ruben.

18 minutes ago, Ghost_06_ said:

People thirst for her because she's best girl and hot, not because she's sexualized.

Aha. Well, knowing the internet's usual popular opinions about girls, I probably will care nothing for her. Though I might not want her dead, necessarily, so there's that.

9 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Haha I probably haven't drunk enough alcohol to fill a bottle in my entire life.

...Well okay, maybe one bottle. Maybe even two. But I doubt it reaches three.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I googled this character and she is wearing a perfectly normal outfit, which I assume to be her outfit because it was the same in every picture.

Right.

Incidentally, is the VN choice based

There are choices that influence endings, though they are apparently subtle in both appearance and effects. I didn't look too much into it, but it doesn't seem like there are huge branching paths.

are you going to play it?

I might pick it up if it goes on sale in Halloween. I read a review that said it was horribly boring for 30 hours and then it became the best VN ever made, which scared me a bit, but well, I've different expectations for this than Trails. I have no expectations of fun gameplay to be betrayed. This is basically a book with anime pictures plastered on it. Books aren't all frenetic action all the time, I think I'd be okay with a bit of slowness.

Though I'm skeptical enough to wait for a sale. I am not sure at all that this will be my cup of tea.

No particular reason why I’m asking.

I mean, go ahead. I doubt Shrimpy would complain if Steins;Gate became the next thread revolution. Even if it's for the sole reason of wanting to play a choice game ahead of me so you can laugh at my choices.

23 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

I’m the SpiderDemo!

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Pssh. Says who? You? Who are you to judge me?

I've never heard of it, no. Lemme see... Okay, so here's the Steam page. Let's see what the user reviews have to say.

"A great TRPG based on Fire Emblem and more specifically FE9 and FE10."

But you, as well as plenty of reviews, say the hardmode is challenging, so that doesn't add up...

Anyway, enough sassing PoR. Any characters you think I'd like, or is the lineup all generic anime teens, as usual? This is very important. I cannot play a videogame if it only has anime teens, that is the way of Ruben.

I am He.

I don't get the FE9/10 comparisons. Maybe because of the 5 bonds limit (like in the GBA games and FE9) and one of your units having shove (or Tackle as it's called)? Also, isn't FE10 Hard Mode considered challenging? I know it has some nonsense with no displayable enemy ranges.

I'll let this image do the talking. For what it's worth, the only design I like so far is Gritz (the dude in black). I'd say it's one of those games where the presentation is overall lacking, and the story is literally whatever, but the gameplay works. With how important using traps with Gritz is, I'd say AI manipulation is pretty important.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There are choices that influence endings, though they are apparently subtle in both appearance and effects. I didn't look too much into it, but it doesn't seem like there are huge branching paths.

According to the internet, it looks like you’re right, and that there aren’t even that many of them. Oh well, there’ll be other opportunities, maybe.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, go ahead. I doubt Shrimpy would complain if Steins;Gate became the next thread revolution. Even if it's for the sole reason of wanting to play a choice game ahead of me so you can laugh at my choices.

Then again, last time Shrimpy said a game’s plot was kino he was right, and a VN is all plot. Hmm…

6 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

I am He.

He of the Overbloated Ego, clearly.

I don't get the FE9/10 comparisons. Maybe because of the 5 bonds limit (like in the GBA games and FE9) and one of your units having shove (or Tackle as it's called)? Also, isn't FE10 Hard Mode considered challenging? I know it has some nonsense with no displayable enemy ranges.

Huh. Well, that is certainly odd.

I'll let this image do the talking. For what it's worth, the only design I like so far is Gritz (the dude in black). I'd say it's one of those games where the presentation is overall lacking, and the story is literally whatever, but the gameplay works. With how important using traps with Gritz is, I'd say AI manipulation is pretty important.

Judging by the trailer on Steam, it appears an old man exists. It surprises me, considering he's just standing there alongside a sexy anime witch, two lolis, animes with furry ears and what appears to be a succubus. No doubt the old man is the twist villain.

Well, I'll add it to my wishlist, which is more like the "I don't want to forget this game's name" list. Might be worth considering... though the halloween sale is so close, there's no point in being hasty.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

According to the internet, it looks like you’re right, and that there aren’t even that many of them. Oh well, there’ll be other opportunities, maybe.

Oof for your plans.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Then again, last time Shrimpy said a game’s plot was kino he was right, and a VN is all plot. Hmm…

You certainly have more reasons to go for it than me. I don't like anime or Trails. The chances of me enjoying this are... limited.