Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Okay no, but honestly though. This does not seem like the kind of game to feature anything other than anime teens, scantily clad waifus and lolis. So why the heck is there an old man with a moustache hanging out with (what I'm assuming are) the rest of the playables in the Steam trailer? You got any answers for me about that? I'm genuinely curious. Not that the old man's existence is going to be a deal breaker, if it goes on sale I think I'm most likely going to pick it up, but I'm curious.

Second-to-last character you get. He's a mounted unit who can't attack, but IS the only one who can rescue and drop people.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And, well, beyond that, I'm still a bit iffy on them selling 20% of the first three Mario Parties, plus a handful of minigames from each game in the series, for a full 60$. I don't think I'll be getting this game, honestly. Played enough Mario Party with my friend already

That's fair. It's definitely a long-term game, much like Mario Kart. You'd be buying it to play with friends.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is why I don't like stopping games halfway through. The more I keep my runs on hold, the more unlikely it is that I'll ever continue them.

I left Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings on hold for like two years and i continued just fine.

It's less that games on-hold are less likely to be continued and more of the fact that i really, really don't care about Final Fantasy.

6 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

He's a mounted unit who can't attack, but IS the only one who can rescue and drop people.

That's......certainly interesting.

Of course, Ruben will take offense that the old man can't be cool.

7 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

Second-to-last character you get. He's a mounted unit who can't attack, but IS the only one who can rescue and drop people.

Oh, wow. That's... one hell of a creative unit concept. I dig it! How late does second-to-last mean, may I ask?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I left Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings on hold for like two years and i continued just fine.

It's less that games on-hold are less likely to be continued and more of the fact that i really, really don't care about Final Fantasy.

Ah, well, that's fair.

...And to be fair, I also had an experience like that. I dropped Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice for like two years before I picked it back up. I was even in the middle of a case, I could barely remember what was going on, but I pressed on regardless.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

That's......certainly interesting.

Of course, Ruben will take offense that the old man can't be cool.

Not really, creative unit concepts is something I really enjoy. Besides, being the only unit to rescuedrop would make him pretty damn useful, I imagine.

"I am Wrys, a humble cavalier. I cannot fight, but this horse I ride can pick you up and take you to places faster. Take me with you, and you'll be very glad you did."

I will be disappointed if that is not his introduction now.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, wow. That's... one hell of a creative unit concept. I dig it! How late does second-to-last mean, may I ask?

Chapter 10 or 11, iirc. The game will have you deploy everyone, and it's built around that.

Just now, DodgeDusk said:

Chapter 10 or 11, iirc.

Out of how many?

Just now, DodgeDusk said:

The game will have you deploy everyone, and it's built around that.

So I read in the Steam reviews, yes. It sounds pretty intriguing, as does the main character's gimmick. And well, while her design isn't particularly huntress-like, the titular princess does have a bow, so there's that too.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Out of how many?

So I read in the Steam reviews, yes. It sounds pretty intriguing, as does the main character's gimmick. And well, while her design isn't particularly huntress-like, the titular princess does have a bow, so there's that too.

No idea!

And after three failed tries, I had to turn the difficulty down to Easy on the nerds' boss battle. My first try on Normal was the most successful, but for the other two, I was lucky if I ripped off half their team's HP, they had way too much. I tried throwing the healing aura on one character, it restored a pittance of health, so not worth wasting a slot for. On Easy, I won with half my health, which means it might've been a tad too easy, but I don't get what I was doing wrong on Normal. The minefield attack could've been programmed to have an assured safe zone, some of the patterns had no big space in them, leaving me at a loss as to where I needed to be. Why don't the Fusion replacement attacks include healing? It'd reward good play and help we of lesser abilities.

Played a little of Day 6, up to the acquisition of the first "Uber Pin". Thought they'd be a little more special than something whose only cost is a handful of Friendship Points to equip. And why are mammoth Noise out there already? They're as tough as it gets. Definitely gotta be easier than their DS incarnation though, I managed to take one playing it overly safe and keeping away to avoid the earthquakes. Enemies in other areas have been easily squished on Normal, so the mammoths are a major difficulty spike. And the nice thing about TWEWY's unique encounter structure, is that is really really really relaxed, fight as few or as many optional fights as you want, it's just one thought away. 

I'm likely how the game semi-casually slips in some tracks. I stood still and listened to the new extended remixed rendition of Three Minutes' Clapping.😎 And I appreciate it that the CD store still has those short paragraphs describing each tune. It's culinary, the same level of detail I would get reading a review of particular vintage of wine, or the plate of haute cuisine I would expect to be served alongside it. Whilst I understand being left to develop one's on thoughts on music and other matters, being told what what the supposed intentional aspirations of the composition was, does bring it alive in a certain way.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I should've never put it on hold cause now I played it for like 40 minutes and completely lost any interest to continue.

Square ain't for you. I was amazed from the start you gave it a chance in the first place. Best just to move on.

18 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Play an actual good FF game. Xd

Yes, Final Fantasy VIII. By which I mean Xenogears Episode 6. Because I'm speaking of the alternative dimension wherein XG won the FFVII title, and Nomura was the one who had to depart to Namco to pursue his unique visions. In this world, Kingdom Hearts now features Pac-Man, b/c why not when it's all in-house?

SGW Thoughts

The good:

• Excellent and super fun unit design.
  • Good skill and promotion system
  • Difficulty hit a right sweet spot
  • At first i didn't know how to feel about the reward/punishment system, but they are pretty generous honestly. Well done in that regard as well.
  • Dragons on player side.
  • SGW is for good boys and girls

The Bad:

• The Music was awful. It's not the music selection itselt that's bad, as the tracks are tracks i usually love, but how they were gba'fied was done in a way that made almost every track sound really really wrong. Dark Wastes was the worst one in that regard.
  • Probably the worst instance of Thracia capture yet. Anything with a cool weapon or staff was uncaptureable. And i am not just talking about def piercing weapons, but even a normal priest was some cool staves usually had the ''uncaptureable'' skill. It was super annoying and the game should've just done away with capture (and made more weapons dropable) as all it lead to was micromanagement hell, especially with the GBA inventory. Really bad there.
  • Quite a number of maps were a miss. Some had a good idea, but the tanky enemies just made it a slog. Then we got stuff like Thracia 24x or any maps filled with super tanky dragons.
  • I couldn't follow the story at all, but eh, don't really care about that.

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

SGW Thoughts

The good:

• Excellent and super fun unit design.
  • Good skill and promotion system
  • Difficulty hit a right sweet spot
  • At first i didn't know how to feel about the reward/punishment system, but they are pretty generous honestly. Well done in that regard as well.
  • Dragons on player side.
  • SGW is for good boys and girls

The Bad:

• The Music was awful. It's not the music selection itselt that's bad, as the tracks are tracks i usually love, but how they were gba'fied was done in a way that made almost every track sound really really wrong. Dark Wastes was the worst one in that regard.
  • Probably the worst instance of Thracia capture yet. Anything with a cool weapon or staff was uncaptureable. And i am not just talking about def piercing weapons, but even a normal priest was some cool staves usually had the ''uncaptureable'' skill. It was super annoying and the game should've just done away with capture (and made more weapons dropable) as all it lead to was micromanagement hell, especially with the GBA inventory. Really bad there.
  • Quite a number of maps were a miss. Some had a good idea, but the tanky enemies just made it a slog. Then we got stuff like Thracia 24x or any maps filled with super tanky dragons.
  • I couldn't follow the story at all, but eh, don't really care about that.

Fair review. I disagree with downsides 1 and 2, and I really didn't feel the enemies were tanky enough to be an issue, and I didn't find any maps to be big misses outside of Thracia 24x. So basically I disagree with all the downsides you describe, but well, that's what opinions are like. I do love the game, after all. You should've made Daedalus alone a downside, he deserves it.

As for the story... Yeah, don't worry about that. It is not the deepest or best written story out there, nor was it trying to be. I mean, it's a sequel to an ancient hack that is infamous for being awful. Blademaster himself says the story's not important, and all he wanted was for it to be fun. Personally, I did find it fun. It gets so schlocky and cheesy with the one billion factions, half the cast being traitors to their respective factions, random-ass villains getting redemption arcs for no reason, dumb references and humor... It was the kind of dumb fun I enjoy.

Also I love how "SGW is for good boys and girls" alone is an upside.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

You should've made Daedalus alone a downside, he deserves it.

right how could i forget him xD

Probably the biggest downside lol

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It was the kind of dumb fun I enjoy

you know what, true lol

Also I love how "SGW is for good boys and girls" alone is an upside.

The most important one

23 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

right how could i forget him xD

I can think of a number of reasons why.

Mainly the fact that in a game that excells at unit design, he's literally just fucking Hector.

Damned shithead.

Probably the biggest downside lol

Fuck that asshole. Anyone would've made a better deuteragonist than him. Even Joe.

...Okay, maybe not Joe. But Clint? Certainly. Clint is best boi.

you know what, true lol

I think my favorite thing about SGW's schlock is the amount of NPCs that are traitors and/or get murdered horribly in a cutscene. FE doesn't usually kill that many characters in cutscenes, it's either they don't die at all or they die by your hand in the gameplay. FE4 does go a bit harder on its characters, but nowhere near to the level of Blademaster, however. If you're not a permanent playable, Blademaster hates you and will personally make sure you die a terrible, torturous death. I even kept a Blademaster kill count in my LP, counting all the NPCs that died in cutscenes for shits and giggles. It ended up being roughly twice as big as my own kill count. It felt nice to see.

Honestly, I'm still amazed

Spoiler

Iskander and Alice made it. They had "traitor" and "dead" written all over them, respectively. But nope. Turns out they're both okay. Good for them. Even if Iskander is just a worse version of force-deployed Elliot. That's a really unfortunate position to be in... At least Alice can be fun as a bow warrior that hits like a truck. That and I'm fond of her character, her boss convo with Paris is absolutely amazing.

The most important one

Joanne's kind of a shit mom ngl

22 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Also the tankiness of enemies was only a problem in certain maps (namely 8,9 and 18 with it's stance enemies) and Dragon maps

Wait... 9? Chapter 9, as in, the snow map? I've always felt that's one of the easiest maps in the game... 8 and 18, I can understand, and the dragons are admittedly difficult if you don't employ effective weaponry (Iris in particular is super helpful in that regard, she makes Oliver and the first desert so much more manageable), but I don't really get 9.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Play an actual good FF game. Xd

So Xenogears, got it 👍.

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was amazed from the start you gave it a chance in the first place. Best just to move on.

I gave it a chance cause it was a gift from a friend.

Oh well, there's still DMC5. Which i haven't gotten around to yet. Depending on how much the story matters, it may be better do play through the other DMCs first.

I played the Gravity Rush 2 demo and it feels so much better to play. The game is also apparently longer than the first so you know what, i'll bite. $20 is nothing anyways.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I think my favorite thing about SGW's schlock is the amount of NPCs that are traitors and/or get murdered horribly in a cutscene. FE doesn't usually kill that many characters in cutscenes, it's either they don't die at all or they die by your hand in the gameplay. Not in Blademaster's world, however. If you're not a permanent playable, Blademaster hates you and will personally make sure you die a terrible, torturous death. I even kept a Blademaster kill count in my LP, counting all the NPCs that died in cutscenes for shits and giggles. It ended up being roughly twice as big as my own kill count. It felt nice to see.

iirc i read somewhere that Blademaster wanted to show what the GBA engine was capable of or something along these lines

Wait... 9? Chapter 9, as in, the snow map? I've always felt that's one of the easiest maps in the game... 8 and 18, I can understand, and the dragons are admittedly difficult if you don't employ effective weaponry (Iris in particular is super helpful in that regard, she makes Oliver and the first desert so much more manageable), but I don't really get 9.

7 and 8* i meant

9 was very easy yeah.

But 7 had 14 def/res enemies when i could barely reach 20 atk and 8 was tank mania

Just now, Shrimp γ said:

iirc i read somewhere that Blademaster wanted to show what the GBA engine was capable of or something along these lines

Yeah, that's why there are so many mechanics in SGW.

I think the most impressive use of the GBA engine was Evil Moulder. It's incredible that the engine can handle such a beautiful man.

Seriously he might be my favorite character in the game. The first time I saw his face I almost suffocated from laughing too much. It's too fucking funny.

Just now, Shrimp γ said:

7 and 8* i meant

9 was very easy yeah.

But 7 had 14 def/res enemies when i could barely reach 20 atk and 8 was tank mania

Ahhhhhh

Yeah, okay, that I can understand.

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

SGW is for good boys and girls

Guess I'm never getting it.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And after three failed tries, I had to turn the difficulty down to Easy on the nerds' boss battle. My first try on Normal was the most successful, but for the other two, I was lucky if I ripped off half their team's HP, they had way too much. I tried throwing the healing aura on one character, it restored a pittance of health, so not worth wasting a slot for. On Easy, I won with half my health, which means it might've been a tad too easy, but I don't get what I was doing wrong on Normal. The minefield attack could've been programmed to have an assured safe zone, some of the patterns had no big space in them, leaving me at a loss as to where I needed to be. Why don't the Fusion replacement attacks include healing? It'd reward good play and help we of lesser abilities.

The minefield attack does have a safe area, but with the way combat and the camera works it can be tricky to find it. That and dodging is a viable strategy as the bombs don't go off all at once.

As for why the groove attacks don't have a heal, that's probably because they can't finish a dropbeat thus can't become the choice for one. Healing while dealing damage is available from certain pins and equipment though. One positive is healing pins regenerate between reductions, while all of them give beatdrop opportunities so long as you either don't fight for a sec while healing with the healing pins or for the single use ones immediately.

Played a little of Day 6, up to the acquisition of the first "Uber Pin". Thought they'd be a little more special than something whose only cost is a handful of Friendship Points to equip. And why are mammoth Noise out there already? They're as tough as it gets. Definitely gotta be easier than their DS incarnation though, I managed to take one playing it overly safe and keeping away to avoid the earthquakes. Enemies in other areas have been easily squished on Normal, so the mammoths are a major difficulty spike. And the nice thing about TWEWY's unique encounter structure, is that is really really really relaxed, fight as few or as many optional fights as you want, it's just one thought away. 

Yeah, uber pins as a replacement for Angel/Reaper pins are a choice that I can get feeling mixed on. The social network allowing you to use more than one is kind of a limiter on the player, but not all uber pins are an upgrade or a must use.

As for the mammoths, honestly I think they're harder here, partly because touching the front legs hurts you and the laser barrage on higher difficulties is.... certainly something.

I was someone who tried to avoid doing extra fights outside of story and side quest encounters, which I think can help amplify the challenge (that would probably be easier to show with a low encounters run)

I'm likely how the game semi-casually slips in some tracks. I stood still and listened to the new extended remixed rendition of Three Minutes' Clapping.😎 And I appreciate it that the CD store still has those short paragraphs describing each tune. It's culinary, the same level of detail I would get reading a review of particular vintage of wine, or the plate of haute cuisine I would expect to be served alongside it. Whilst I understand being left to develop one's on thoughts on music and other matters, being told what what the supposed intentional aspirations of the composition was, does bring it alive in a certain way.

It helps give an insight to the writer's intent.

Spoiler

Funny to think about it being to help show the Composer's will. 😛

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh well, there's still DMC5. Which i haven't gotten around to yet. Depending on how much the story matters, it may be better do play through the other DMCs first.

.....Maybe.

It is later than 1, 3 and 4 (F for 2 which doesn't matter) but story isn't a huge deal for the games even if there's continuity. 4 might be the most relevant (because I know one of the other player characters in 5 is the main one from it) but I'd definitely say play 3 first because 3 is SSSlayin!

Just now, Armagon said:

From what I'm aware chronologically, it's 3-1-4-2-5. (Although DMC2 gets brushed under the rug.)

Qualitatively for gameplay, from what I've heard secondhand.:

• 1 invented the series, but hasn't aged that well.
  • 3 is great!
  • 4 seems pretty good too.
  • 5 the same as 4, and way more recent for all the modernization that I would hope would bring.
  • I think you'd be better off with the failed DmC: Devil May Cry reboot than 2. Unless you get it from some HD collection, DO NOT BOTHER!

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

It is later than 1, 3 and 4 (F for 2 which doesn't matter) but story isn't a huge deal for the games even if there's continuity. 4 might be the most relevant (because I know one of the other player characters in 5 is the main one from it) but I'd definitely say play 3 first because 3 is SSSlayin!

I see then.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(Although DMC2 gets brushed under the rug.)

2 gets memed on a lot from what i hear.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • 4 seems pretty good too.
  • 5 the same as 4, and way more recent for all the modernization that I would hope would bring.

So might be better to at least play 3 and 4 first is what i'm getting. 5's modernizations could make it hard to go back, depending.

Just now, Armagon said:

2 gets memed on a lot from what i hear.

Let me put it like this. The game has a helicopter for a boss.

You're stuck to using ranged attacks the whole time, it's no fun.

Just now, Shrimp γ said:

FmsoYuz.png
08CB6Ws.png

I'm very confused by the first one and how her likes and dislikes make sense with each other.