Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wait, they didn’t? Who did?

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Bandai Namco, i think

A company named ILCA Inc.

"Some more serious projects it's assisted with include Yakuza 0, Dragon Quest XI, NieR: Automata, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and more recently Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown"

However, it seems Pokemon BD/SP is the first game they're directly making as opposed to assisting.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A company named ILCA Inc.

"Some more serious projects it's assisted with include Yakuza 0, Dragon Quest XI, NieR: Automata, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 and more recently Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown"

However, it seems Pokemon BD/SP is the first game they're directly making as opposed to assisting.

thanks for the correction o7

I finally conquered the mirror, because I met some random guy who said he was a poet and suddenly remembered poetry about a mirror from who knows where, which bumped the odds of “fixing” my face from like 40 to 90.

But, now my character’s portrait is just depressing instead of hilarious. Wait, no, go back!! I don’t want this!

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I finally conquered the mirror, because I met some random guy who said he was a poet and suddenly remembered poetry about a mirror from who knows where, which bumped the odds of “fixing” my face from like 40 to 90.

But, now my character’s portrait is just depressing instead of hilarious. Wait, no, go back!! I don’t want this!

tumblr_23262c111487977e659a1e39906caa4d_

Diamond and Pearl don't have many differences from each other even by Pokémon standards, so "work smart, not hard" I suppose.

On the subject of Pokémon, I learned today that Mew's existence was initially meant to be secret forever, but players discovered it through glitches and not acknowledging it at that point would make it look like Nintendo had debugging issues. The timespan between Red and Green releasing in Japan and Mew's announcement was a month and a half. I know Gen I's code was held together with paper clips but I didn't think Mew was discovered that quickly.

On the other hand, the existence of a secret Pokémon generated interest and was part of the reason why the games became as popular as they did, so we can partially attribute Pokémon's success to Game Freak's questionable programming.

Specially when you consider Mew was only added because they found they had enough data left for one more Pokémon. Sure, you could say the concept of Mew already existed thanks to Mewtwo, but it was likely not originally planned to actually be obtainable.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yakuza 0

Nice.

I've also heard the NieR is really good, so they seem to have quite the track record.

29 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

On the subject of Pokémon, I learned today that Mew's existence was initially meant to be secret forever, but players discovered it through glitches and not acknowledging it at that point would make it look like Nintendo had debugging issues. The timespan between Red and Green releasing in Japan and Mew's announcement was a month and a half. I know Gen I's code was held together with paper clips but I didn't think Mew was discovered that quickly.

Wait so Mew was never supposed to be revealed at all?

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I told the pawn shop owner I’m really cool so he should give me a really cool shirt for free and he did. Interesting.

Bargaining: 100

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Mew was added two weeks before release. So unless they also changed Mewtwo's backstory in those two weeks, we'd likely know of Mew regardless. Just, never obtain it.

Ah, Dimensional Hook at last. Will soon start fishing the Lake Lords of Another Eden and get Levia. Then finally put a rest to fishing, before coming back to finish it up properly. Or until the next stage of fishing arrives with Ocean Palace Part 2.

Also finally reached Oasis in Fallout 3. Though won't actually do the quest until next time.

Oh god, I discovered the ability to shave and tried it, since I thought my portrait couldn’t get any worse. It could.

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I’d failed the roll for shaving though…

@Saint Rubenio When I got to “the second area” (I’m pretty sure you’re already there from what you said, but just in case) the game said I could now fast travel there… but neglected to say how I do that. So how do I fast travel?

Edited by Sooks

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Right, Shigeki Morimoto thought it would be funny to add a secret monster that no one else would know about. Naturally, there's a reason why developers normally don't add things after debugging is finished. Mewtwo already existed at the time, and Mew was designed as a simplified version of it to save space.

Finding a whole new Pokémon that's never mentioned anywhere must've been scary. Imagine experimenting with glitches in your new Game Boy game and you find this:

Spr_1g_151.png

Truly a spooky story to tell to your friends.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if I’d failed the roll for shaving though…

Hmm... neck + sharp object. 💀

It could be a slower end though, a slight nick, a little infection, and then ⚰️. Famed American transcendentalist writer Henry David Thoreau retreated for a while into the backwoods (where he wrote his classic Walden) after his brother died of an infected razor cut.

12 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Gen 1, back when the 'mons really looked like monsters, and not plushies. I'm glad that toned down the "Mew is an embryo/fetus" aspect in subsequent generations. I get queasy looking at that kind of stuff.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Now consider that they're selling a double-pack that includes both versions for $120.

Multiple versions has ran its course. While the idea was charming back in the day, let's face it, it's always been scam, barring maybe Gen 5th I guess. Pokemon still does it b/c tradition, but they ought to get rid of it. No reason -except money- why they can't make one game and have you your pick slight differences at some early point in the game.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Doesnt Emerald have quite a few differences to R/S?

True. Although 3rd versions are their own issue. They're a concept that looks so far to be dead with the rise of DLC. 3rd versions could add things DLC couldn't necessarily have, such as altering the main events of Hoenn to feature the fight in the space building. Yet, it's on the whole for the better that 3rd versions, which were less a scam than initial two-versions divide, be wiped out and replaced by DLC.

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Fair, I just always felt like Emerald actually stood out and was worth its money in differences to the other two.

I don't remember all the changes, but yes, I can see Emerald as a good third version. Although again, the times have changed. Pokemon 3rd versions were necessary back then in case developers wanted to add new content to the games, since the lack of WiFi and Internet infrastructure made modern DLC impossible. Back then, the Battle Frontier had to 3rd versioned, now, it would've been DLC. The oddity called Japanese Blue version for all the bug fixes would not have been necessary in Japan, b/c fixing bugs is what wireless updates are for.

Similarly, Street Fighter 2 had four arcade update versions during its original lifespan: Champion Edition, Turbo: Hyper Fighting, The New Challengers, and Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo. The 2016 title Street Fighter 5 didn't need four new versions, it got five DLC waves instead. Story of Seasons ditched separate male and female versions and the peculiar case of Island of Happiness & Sunshine Islands, in part because DLC now exists (and, it'd be a serious ripoff to pay for the same game twice just to play as the opposite gender).

3rd versions in Pokemon are nostalgic in a way for a kabuto like myself, but I won't let myself be jaded by the fact that they are an antiquated novelty that shouldn't be any more.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Finding a whole new Pokémon that's never mentioned anywhere must've been scary. Imagine experimenting with glitches in your new Game Boy game and you find this:

Spr_1g_151.png

The original creepypasta.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No reason -except money- why they can't make one game and have you your pick slight differences at some early point in the game.

What's funny is that they'll get money regardless of how they do it.

True. Although 3rd versions are their own issue. They're a concept that looks so far to be dead with the rise of DLC. 3rd versions could add things DLC couldn't necessarily have, such as altering the main events of Hoenn to feature the fight in the space building. Yet, it's on the whole for the better that 3rd versions, which were less a scam than initial two-versions divide, be wiped out and replaced by DLC.

Third versions were often the "Definitive Edition" version of the game. Especially in regards to Platinum, which is why the DP remakes not taking a single element from Platinum is very disappointing. Both HGSS and ORAS took elements from their third versions.

Of course, when Game Freak did dual versions of the third version (USUM), I think that's when the last nail was pounded in the coffin.

3rd versions in Pokemon are nostalgic in a way for a kabuto like myself, but I won't let myself be jaded by the fact that they are an antiquated novelty that shouldn't be any more.

I agree.

Now sequels on the other hand is something I'd conceptually like to see more of. I say conceptually because BW2 was super based but I don't trust current Game Freak to make a Pokemon game on the same level.

Wait, what makes modern pokemon worse than the older ones? I've never played one, so I don't know the difference, but they all look about the same to me.

Plus, Sword and Shield actually looks quite good, in my opinion. Well, trees aside.

27 minutes ago, Benice said:

Wait, what makes modern pokemon worse than the older ones? I've never played one, so I don't know the difference, but they all look about the same to me.

Plus, Sword and Shield actually looks quite good, in my opinion. Well, trees aside.

Simply put: they've stopped trying. After Sun & Moon (which was good), it feels like Game Freak said fuck it which is reflected in the quality of their games ever since.