• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Thank you.

There's still probably a chance i'd play Persona 5 and SMT5 before Devil Survivor but even if i enjoy SMT5, there's no garuantee i'd go back and play the older games. Easing into the not bleak entries would be good.

To touch on the atmosphere of the Devil Survivors again. DS2 does deal with calamity striking Japan shortly into the start of the game, it is serious, but it consistently weaves in anime humor. Some critics find the cast of DS2 tropey and insufferable, but you ought not have that issue, I did not, and I'm less of an anime person than you.

The first Devil Survivor does include the classic SMT Law (Abrahamic God) vs. Chaos (Lucifer) divide regarding the ending choices, but isn't quite old-fashioned SMT. It has this gal for one.:

devilsurvivor7.jpg

(DS version here, not the 3DS Overclocked edition.)

So while you're spending one hellish week trapped within Tokyo trying to survive (but this is no survival-the-genre game), Devil Survivor 1 makes concessions that make it a little more mainstream anime. Not the periodic laughs of DS2, but still, some adjustments. 

(Note that part of my bias for Devil Survivor stems from it being my gateway into SMT. Got the DS version of the original, returned it b/c too bleak at the time (I was in my early teens), got Overclocked a few years later, loved it, got DS2 loved it, and much later sprung for its Record Breaker update.)

These are permanently $19.99 each on the eShop. So it'd be cheaper than gambling on SMTV. Without the dungeon-crawling admittedly b/c SRPG spinoff again, but then TMS#FE gave you a taste of the dungeon stuff, so you've already sampled that.

Also, for Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker FYI- Start with Septentrione! That is the original story, and Triangulum is a direct followup to an impossible ending of Septentrione, you'd be totally lost if you began with Tri. -Just want to say this well in advance. The game does give a warning about this, but it's rather mildly phrased, I want to make this absolutely clear. -If you were to even try these. Not forcing you.

And don't watch Devil Survivor 2: The Animation. Not objectively the worst show out there I'm told, but some of the alterations made were questionable.

42 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I honestly prefer the original version to the remix OGs gave Gilliam. I like to think better sound technology = better quality, but I think they made it too... electronic, it's tacky.

Maybe sometime after the eventuality of SRW30 I'll hop back in time and find the fan translation for this. I've survived Dragon Quests 3-5 without issue (two of which are NES and hence even more aged), I can handle an SNES JRPG.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

A shame they couldn't or didn't put Kamen Rider in SRW 30. Would've been the Hero Chronicles reunion of a highlight.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A shame they couldn't put Kamen Rider in SRW 30. Would've been the Hero Chronicles reunion of a highlight.

True. That would've been neat. The sheer size difference is a manageable issue. Not sure if recent mainline SRW has had situations like the SRW64 one you've posted before (and J & W with Tekkaman), but 2nd OG made Kouta work.:

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. That would've been neat. The sheer size difference is a manageable issue. Not sure if recent mainline SRW has had situations like the SRW64 one you've posted before (and J & W with Tekkaman), but 2nd OG made Kouta work.:

Well, the Ultraman they'll add in DLC 2 is the latest adaptation, where they don't grow giant... so really, Kamen Rider wouldn't be out of place now.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

These are permanently $19.99 each on the eShop

Good to know.

One slight issue tho is 3DS storage space. Nintendo made the big dumb dumb decision to have the SD card slot for New 3DS be within the plating which means I gotta take out a screwdriver just to put in a bigger SD card size.

I mean I can always Citra it.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:31 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

...Wait...

WHAT

YOU CAN DISABLE ALL ANIMATIONS?

AS IN, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH TITANIA'S MAP SPRITE WHACK ENEMIES FOR 10 HOURS?!

WHY THE FUCK IS THAT NOT A FEATURE IN THE FIRST RUN!?

The battle animations are pretty, the prettiest in the entire series imo, but especially in all the endgame rout mission they really slow down the pace and also distract me.

Anyways I have played the first boards of Mario Party Superstars. I can't say too much unless I love that the themes (board, minigames) can be customized more or less. Having a N64 themed board with games feels very nostalgic. I like that!

9 hours ago, WraithReborn said:

So I just finished reading Dune and yeah, it’s definitely a strange book. It reminds me a lot of The Book of the New Sun.

What would you say they share in common?

Asking as someone who has not finished Dune.

7 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Faramir so good, it took the Nazgul to take Osgiliath.

Boromir would have held off the Nazgul

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

What would you say they share in common?

Asking as someone who has not finished Dune.

Both books deal with the main characters becoming rulers while also being messianic figures. Paul does this by leading the Fremen while Severin does this through time travel.

Edited by WraithReborn

Btw Berwick Bros

Any of you know a hack called Berwick Redux (possibly jp only)? Yesterday i came across a FE Repo and found that along some jp hacks i never saw before (like a Thracia hack called Gen2 redone with Seliph as the lord, or a FE4 with Pink Sigurd and guns or smth)

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually that's kinda what happens in Bravely Default, minus the cafe.

• Mission- Turn the land of flowers and pure and proper maidens into a den of vanity.
  • Agents- The Bloodrose Legion, led by a Fiore DeRosa. Accompanied by three sisters in the Legion doing their own separate things.
  • DeRosa's Operation--
    • Seduce girls using a special cologne.
    • Take those girls on dates.
    • Take the girls on a final date to your secret lair. Where you kill them and turn their bodies into more cologne.
    • Repeat the process of using irresistible cologne to bait girls who you then use to make more cologne.
    • End goal- ???
      • Don't ask me. This a game of often though not always cartoony villains.

Well... That's certainly a plan.

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

The best part is that i risked everything on the fact that Dean would trigger it, so if he didn't, I was fucked.

To be fair, Vengeance's proc rate is based on damage taken. I believe damage taken * 3 is the exact formula? Garos deals enough damage that it's difficult for Vengeance not to trigger. I mean, hell, you can defeat Chaos with Vengeance.

Why did no one tell me that Faramir couldnt be injured or crippled!?

For some reason, Owen, Saphira and Faramir have Robust+ instead of Robust. It's the exact same skill, only it's not displayed. Don't ask me why. I guess they just didn't want to give a skill called "Robust" to dudes that are by all means not very robust, physically? Gameplay-story integration and all that? I can't say I like it that much, but oh well.

Thats busted! Why is he so freaking stacked? Amazing skills, weapon levels, stats, prf weapon. They werent holding back there.

Faramir is pretty hilarious, yeah. But he's also made of paper and is a rather mediocre archer due to the lack of archer skills.

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Faramir so good, it took the Nazgul to take Osgiliath.

Fun fact: There is a boss character called Nazgul later in the game. I completely missed the reference until someone else pointed it out in my Berwick LP because I'm an uncultured swine.

3 hours ago, Julizan said:

The battle animations are pretty, the prettiest in the entire series imo, but especially in all the endgame rout mission they really slow down the pace and also distract me.

Now imagine me, who doesn't even like them.

I would've liked RD so much better if that stupid feature hadn't been unlockable for God knows what reason...

58 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Inb4 Chaos;Child spoiled me on Omori

Nah not to worry, this mirror thing has no relevance.

Still, I like how everyone and their mom have taken to drawing characters from completely unrelated pieces of media in Omori's artstyle.

25 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Btw Berwick Bros

Any of you know a hack called Berwick Redux (possibly jp only)? Yesterday i came across a FE Repo and found that along some jp hacks i never saw before (like a Thracia hack called Gen2 redone with Seliph as the lord, or a FE4 with Pink Sigurd and guns or smth)

I've heard of it. Can't say it piqued my interest all that much. Though as far as I knew the hack wasn't Japanese, so perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong one.

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, Vengeance's proc rate is based on damage taken. I believe damage taken * 3 is the exact formula? Garos deals enough damage that it's difficult for Vengeance not to trigger. I mean, hell, you can defeat Chaos with Vengeance.

Right, but he took 20 i believe? And since it's Berwick and anything that isn't 100% isn't reliable, it was still really lucky. XD

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Faramir is pretty hilarious, yeah. But he's also made of paper and is a rather mediocre archer due to the lack of archer skills.

Why the hell would he ever wield a bow when he has amazing sword ranks + Iaido?

37 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For some reason, Owen, Saphira and Faramir have Robust+ instead of Robust. It's the exact same skill, only it's not displayed. Don't ask me why. I guess they just didn't want to give a skill called "Robust" to dudes that are by all means not very robust, physically? Gameplay-story integration and all that? I can't say I like it that much, but oh well.

Reese isn't all that "Robust" either. Now Ward? He's certainly... Robust. XD

1 hour ago, Shrimp γ said:

Btw Berwick Bros

Nope, usually if i wanna play a mod, i make my own.

Yzbjdnsx o

That, my friends, is the range of infinite-uses berserk.

Hoo boy.

...Honestly though, it actually makes for a pretty interesting map. Restore in Lonely Mirror has 1-3 range, and the game hands you a healer with a restore staff at the start of the map, so you can keep the berserking in check if you plan your moves right.

45 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Right, but he took 20 i believe?

Only 20? That's a rather low damage roll. Crits deal anywhere between 10-20 unblockable damage, and knives also bypass defenses and add a random amount of damage between 0 and the thief's strength to the knife's might. It sounds overly complicated, I know, but really, what it amounts to is that I've seen Garos dealing damage in the 30s more often than not.

And since it's Berwick and anything that isn't 100% isn't reliable, it was still really lucky. XD

True enough, but as far as Berwick goes, Vengeance is surprisingly reliable.

...The real problem is that Dean doesn't have Robust, so he risks getting his kneecaps broken if he goes too gung-ho with the Vengeance strats.

Why the hell would he ever wield a bow when he has amazing sword ranks + Iaido?

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying, Faramir is great, but he's not a Seth-tier unit. He has no durability and while he has ranged options, he's not good with them.

Reese isn't all that "Robust" either.

Yeah, that's true... Though Reese being the unfeeling sociopath he is, it's possible that he cannot feel pain and that's why he cannot be crippled. There we go, gameplay-story integration.

Now Ward? He's certainly... Robust. XD

Ward blocks crippling attacks with his beard.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Yzbjdnsx o

That, my friends, is the range of infinite-uses berserk.

Hoo boy.

One step above Hexing Rod in hell, imagine if there was no restore.

Is this guy sitting at the top of the map?

Recruitable monster in the next map.

Okay, that's absolutely amazing.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

One step above Hexing Rod in hell, imagine if there was no restore.

It's a good thing the hacker was kind enough to give you a guaranteed restore going into this map.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Is this guy sitting at the top of the map?

Yeah, it's the bard. He's the main antagonist, so you can imagine how well a direct confrontation with him would go at this point. The idea is to run west to the escape point while keeping as much as possible to the south, since he cannot reach there.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

Forgot to comment on this earlier, it surprises me somewhat. The Switch sells like hotcakes, and the West is Metroid's core market, but I got the sense that 2D Metroid was overshadowed by 3D even here (and looking at those numbers, it kinda is). Then again, maybe it's just that the Primers are more vocal on the Internet.

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Mood.

Relatable. Though one should not be too harsh on oneself.🙂

2 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

rzY4ypV.png
uVsxv7q.png
RqEThGS.png

The True Plot Twist

Glad to see such an open-minded parent?😅

Or is this just another sign they're desperate for grandkids? Sounds like potentially effective contraception if it was. Thoughts of parents' nagging wishes in the back of the skull probably aren't conducive for one's stirring up one's mind and body.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still, I like how everyone and their mom have taken to drawing characters from completely unrelated pieces of media in Omori's artstyle.

During my dive into that yaoi game's reddit, I'm pretty sure I saw another Omori parody there. (I'm not gonna dig through the smutty goodness to find it right now.) And separately, someone in the reddit felt oddly compelled to come up with 3H skill boons & banes for the main character of this all-modern-love and no-medieval-war game I'm guessing he had boons in swords, lances, and riding?. So both a game you like and a game you adore have been smeared with boys' love filth, all evens out.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

During my dive into that yaoi game's reddit, I'm pretty sure I saw another Omori parody there. (I'm not gonna dig through the smutty goodness to find it right now.)

Oh.

Well, that's uh... that's something all right.

Honestly I'm not even surprised, the Omori fandom aggressively ships all the boys together.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And separately, someone in the reddit felt oddly compelled to come up with 3H skill boons & banes for the main character of this all-modern-love and no-medieval-war game I'm guessing he had boons in swords, lances, and riding?. So both a game you like and a game you adore have been smeared with boys' love filth, all evens out.

You know, "a game I like" is a bit short of what I feel about Omori, so I'm guessing the game I adore is Omori and the game I like is Three Houses?

Which is completely true. I really, really like Three Houses.

...'s grave. Three Houses's grave. Figuratively speaking, the game is not a living being that can die. But I dug a grave for it in my garden all the same.

That's a bad joke, please nobody actually believe I'm neurotic enough to dig a literal grave for a game I don't like

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, "a game I like" is a bit short of what I feel about Omori

Ah, I wasn't quite sure how far to rate your feelings on that. Didn't want to overstate it.😅

And as a slight reminder, red text from me -which I try not to do too frequently now b/c it's weird and people might not pick up on it- means you should read the word/statement as the exact opposite of what it actually means. So take everything I say at face value.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a bad joke, please nobody actually believe I'm neurotic enough to dig a literal grave for a game I don't like

Of course you shouldn't. The garbage collectors will take care of that. Ever heard of the horrendous Atari E.T. game that got buried en masse in a landfill in the southwestern USA? Whats a landfill but a grave!😄