• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Naaaah Hinoka is very reasonable.

I don't have that many bow users who I can trust to 1-shot

So are we going to talk about the fact that this is what you get up to?

It is certainly a video.

They're quite up front that they're into that.

@Shrimp γ did you link the videos for the lols?

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There is no war in Hoshido

Will you watch it already?

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I have no recollection of him dropping anything. Three runs and every time I just sort of blank out by the time I make it to Takumi.

Considering how he caused a reset, to get a luck booster right after is a mood.

11 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

That's like, Super Otaku Ü

Is there a specific pronunciation with that I need to account for?

I mean, why else would i link it?

Propaganda /s

Okay, so you know how I agonised about getting as much money as I could from Percy's paralogue? Well, I did get 15.5k, so I could have done worse, but that's still 8 enemies I fought. Ho hum.

2 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

"It's just like the Amazon rainforest" killed me.

53 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wha... Who?

Dude, I know I got my LP thread spammed with Arknights shit, but that doesn't mean I remember any of those characters.

I'll find it someday, I can assure you...

Ugh my lower back has been bothering me for the past couple weeks, it's getting worse all of a sudden. 

I know lumbago is the inevitable result of aging in human. And stems from a flawed process of evolution that gives backs that let us survive, which in no way whatsoever means perfect, but damn. I'm not even 30 and I'm feeling it! The only one I have to blame, is myself, an overly sedentary cushiony lifestyle is misaligning the region. I need firmer chairs and mattresses, and more exercise.

---

Played a few more OG 1 battles, ending with one of my absolute favorites narratively- Antartica. I had to play the map twice for the Skill Point unfortunately, turns out it's better if one of those NPC tanks dies, since their counterattack damage is a pittance compared to what the heroic trio can do.

I'm a little mixed on the PS2 rendition of the Antarctic episode. I've a bias for the GBA script here on the star of the show's lines. And they seriously dented the awesomeness by using an event theme for the first strike, as opposed to an infinitely superior track.

However, the replacement of the Megillots with these Garoikas I've never seen before is an interesting and appropriate move reading their description. And the addition of Winds of La Gias at the end is cool.

But I wasn't so interested in some free flowing breezes, what I wanted was a cold, Dark Prison. And after so deeply disappointing me, I got my wish.😁 The opening strike might've been dulled, but yesssssssssssssss yessssssss the closer! Black Hole Cluster! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!🤣

No, seriously, I went into unceasing evil laughter. I really shouldn't have, but oh how I adored that scene as a wee child!

*Clears throat* Oh, and besides Antartica, I'm noticing yet more adjustments to the script compared to the GBA version and localization choices and here and there. Name-dropping Ryoto and Leona this early. Kusuha has already been discovered as a telekinetic and now Ingram is considering her as a backup candidate for the R-1. A mention of the The School by Ingram gives Aya's father a momentary pause of silence. Ring has been changed to "Ling", and as I'm not sure if Ling is actually a Chinese forename or not, I'm unsure of whether the change was warranted. And I'm unsure if Tenzan's lingo is too modern. The Grungust series's title is now "Hyper Fighter", not "Super Warrior".

Fun aplenty. A blast from the past, and it's pure gold for me.☺️

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I cannot stress enough just how much of an improvemnt Gravity Rush 2 is (review)

Fellas, this is what an upgrade looks like. Gravity Rush 2 is such an improvement over the first game in every regard and i mean every regard. Whereas Gravity Rush 1 had no substance and was hard carried by it's premise alone, Gravity Rush 2 is a full-course meal that brings out the true potential of this series.....which makes it sting even more that we'll never get a Gravity Rush 3.

What i believe to be symbolic of the improvements of this game can be found in the world design. The city of Jira Para Lhao is infinitely better than the city of Hekseville, the setting of the first game. Whereas Hekseville is laid out horizontally and kinda claustrophobic in some places, JPL is laid out vertically with a lot of space, which allows the city to make more use of Kat's gravity powers than the first game ever did, and as bonus, it's much more vibrant and distinct than Hekseville ever was. This, combined with the fact that moving around in general feels much better, means that much like in the Insomniac Spider-Man games, there is zero reason to ever use skip travel in these game. Even when the game's third act sent me back to Hekseville and temporarily locked me out of JPL (i groaned at this admittedly), i still did not feel the need to use skip travel. Yeah, this game is so good it even made moving around the first game's setting more fun.

Moving around isn't the only thing that's seen an improvement. Combat too feels better. While it's still rather basic, i can say that i've enjoyed fighting things much more in this game than in the first. The game does give you two additional forms to use and these affect both movement and combat. Lunar Style makes you significantly lighter, allowing great leaps and glides as well as making air combat actually fun, which is very important as air combat was pretty ass in the first game. Jupiter Style makes you heavier and hit harder although i really only used this for moving around. Heavier gravity means you fall faster and since Kat's technically not flying but falling with style, it means you can get to places faster.

The music's also seen a major improvement. While the first game only had two songs that stood out, Gravity Rush 2's soundtrack is consistently great. From the different themes of JPL's districts to the battle and boss themes, yeah it's all pretty great. Bonus points to the vocal song, which is completely sung in the game's fakey-fake language (Gravity Rush 1 did have one of these as well). Speaking of the voice acting, there's a lot more of it to go around, which is quite impressive because, again, it's all in the fakey-fake language.

And now for the actual biggest improvement of the game: the game itself. I do not exaggerate when i say that Gravity Rush 1 had nothing. There's almost nothing to do in that game and by the time it gets a little bit interesting, it ends out of nowhere. Gravity Rush 2 on the other hand not only has an actual story but sidequests that flesh out the world and characterization. Crazy that seeing such simple concepts that we take for granted in other games is something to be praised here but it really goes to show how absolutely barebones Gravity Rush 1 was. Gravity Rush 2's story isn't anything too special but it's properly paced (aside from the final act tbh) and the characters feel like actual characters this time around. Kat went from being an alright protagonist to one i really liked. Raven and Syd have also seen significant improvement to their characters and besides them, there are a few other recurring characters. Again, this is shit we take for granted in other games but Gravity Rush 1 was just so severely lacking in that regard. I feel like i'm bashing the first game a bit much here but i do need to emphasize just how big of an improvement 2 is. The sidequests further characterize Kat and the other characters and there's even a few recurring quest-only NPCs. The sidequests will either give you interesting and fun ways to use your gravity powers or restrict them or just make you do something entirely mundane. But even when i was doing a mundane task in this game, i never felt like i wasn't having fun. Because honestly, this is basically a superhero game and sometimes doing mundane shit is the job of the Friendly Neighborhood Gravity Queen. And it's because all this that i just talked about that i really do have to question why there are some people who think this game is worse than the first one. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and all but every time i see someone say Gravity Rush 1 is better than 2, i feel like they came from some alt universe where 1 had all the stuff that made 2 great and 2....didn't. Because there's really no other explanation, i just cannot fathom how anyone can play the two games and go "yeah Gravity Rush 2 is worse".

If there's any criticisms i can make of this game, it's that the upgrade system still feels like it's made for a more complex game. Unlike the first game, you don't have to level up your health, gravity gauge, and speed with the gems, that'll simply happens as you play the game (not the speed part, that's already been "maxed out") so you can focus on upgrading your combat abilities. But the combat is just too basic for the higher levels. Maxing out every category would just be overkill, not to mention the higher levels of each get very expensive. Just upgrade the kicks and stasis field a few times and you'll be good to go honestly. There are higher difficulty options that you can change at any time but even on Hard, i don't think it warrants an upgrade system this extensive. In the story department, the game's final act is....kinda a mess. Not a bad mess, there is some coolness here, but i think if you ended the game at the third act, it would've been been a bit better. Heh, it's ironic, one of the first game's biggest problems was that it ended way too early. Now here i am kinda wishing the second game ended a bit earlier than it actually did.

I really must applaud the devs here. I was hoping Gravity Rush 2 was an improvement over the first game and not only did it succeed at that, it exceeded all expectations i had going in. Truly impressive.

9/10

Update time: https://www.backloggd.com/u/Armagon/list/ranking-every-game-i-played-in-2021/ (who would've thought that the fifth, sixth and seventh best game i've played this year would all be superhero games).

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I remember playing one of the DS games, but the series really went downhill before long, and none of them were cool puzzle platformers like the GBA one.

The DS games are mostly the same as the GBA one from what i can tell. But yeah, it did go downhill.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The river of my soul is flowing vigorously with the sun's midday light reflecting upon its crystal clear surface, fish jumping from its depths with fecundity.

Enjoy it my friend. You got a two-in-one deal there, hopefully it's a good time.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

8GCTrHc.jpgI3Sbzij.jpg

Ao, i believe that would be called mind control.

2 minutes ago, Julizan said:

Needing almost 40 h for it proves it.

Won't lie, this is my biggest concern for when i get to Hollow Knight. I hear the praises but i've also heard how long it can be. Too long for a Metroidvania, let alone a 2D action platformer.

If you are doing well in the bossfights as in other platformer sections (= do not die), I think you can finish this game causally in less than 20 h. As said I died a lot and deaths can throw you back massively which means they can cause lots of time.

I also would like to mention that this game costs only 15 $ / €. Considering it costs 1/4 of what Metroid Dread does, I think it is a good investment for everyone who likes Metroidvanias combined with a sad atmosphere.

Edit: I forgot that I finished Luna Nights which also is a Metroidvania, but this one has a linear map system unlike Hollow Knight. So it was not my first Metroidvania I have beaten. Whoops.

Edited by Julizan

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Won't lie, this is my biggest concern for when i get to Hollow Knight. I hear the praises but i've also heard how long it can be. Too long for a Metroidvania, let alone a 2D action platformer.

I haven't gone very far in Hollow Knight yet, but based on my experiences with other, similar games, the length tends to come from things like difficulty and player ability, not padding, cutscenes or poor level design.

Not sure if that's to your taste, though.

Edited by Benice

The map system needs a bit time to get used to. However you can make your life easier by having the charm equipped which shows your current location. Also the shop in Dirtmouth gives you all essential items to fill out your map with all the marks you want to have. 

My biggest issue was that I had to grind money too often because of dying too often and not being able to reach the spot where I died the last time to get the money back from the shadow.

Edited by Julizan

I just realised I caught Nina with Soleil. I am concerned about this outcome.

Well I would if it mattered because I lost the Shining Bow.

Shame because it's the last paraloge and I'd be done with waiting on Rev.

Watches the video

It shows a video with a thumbnail "Persona without the Heart" which is about the journalistic discourse around Persona and games compared to it.

Sounds about right.

7 hours ago, Benice said:

I haven't gone very far in Hollow Knight yet, but based on my experiences with other, similar games, the length tends to come from things like difficulty and player ability, not padding, cutscenes or poor level design.

It's not supposed to sound like that, but this sounds like a sick burn to me.

8 hours ago, Julizan said:

If you are doing well in the bossfights as in other platformer sections (= do not die), I think you can finish this game causally in less than 20 h

haven't gone very far in Hollow Knight yet, but based on my experiences with other, similar games, the length tends to come from things like difficulty and player ability, not padding, cutscenes or poor level design.

6 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Hollow Knight can be as short as a few hours even in non-speedruns

It’s really however long you make it

Yeah, looking online, it seems the main stuff is about 25 hours. Which is still kinda long but that's how long Bloodstained took me.

I like Metroidvanias, I should be fine.

2 hours ago, Julizan said:

However you can make your life easier by having the charm equipped which shows your current location.

Wait why do you need an item to see where you are on the map, that's stupid.

Chapter 29 of The Lonely Mirror is so much more fun in friendly mode. The original (classic mode now) got a bit too carried away with the promoted enemies' bulk, and it made it really difficult to keep the enemies at bay without spamming the legendary weapons and praying for the best. In friendly mode they still hit like a truck, but since their bulk is much more reasonable, it encourages liberal use of your stronger weaponry in order to take out the biggest threats while sidestepping the cannon fodder.

Really, the whole game feels better in this mode. Even as much as the elitist in me wants to scream in agony for picking... not the highest difficulty. It's just so much more fun.

Also, in my first run I brought to the hacker's attention that it was really difficult to keep the boat alive in chapter 29 unless you warped it out of the water, which was really silly. His solution? If you move the boat, he's added a few lines where a character acknowledges the ship isn't where it should be. She proceeds to claim it's a good thing that she studied boat repositioning magic. A very advanced spell, she says. I love little fun details like this.

Good morning, by the way. Even if there isn't much morning left. I would've posted sooner, but we're still having some internet issues.

13 hours ago, Dayni said:

I don't have that many bow users who I can trust to 1-shot

Oh. Well, that's not great...

Will you watch it already?

With the amount of spoilers I've eaten over the years? Might as well skip straight to Korra. At least that one, I don't know as well.

Considering how he caused a reset, to get a luck booster right after is a mood.

It's like the devs think they're really funny.

I still think that's a really bullshit boss to place at the end of such a grueling chapter. Even if guard stance exists, all it takes is a couple bad RNG rolls and you're screwed.

13 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

You play Fire Emblem. And even super niche ones at that.

That's like, Super Otaku Ü

Hush, you.

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

Okay, so you know how I agonised about getting as much money as I could from Percy's paralogue? Well, I did get 15.5k, so I could have done worse, but that's still 8 enemies I fought. Ho hum.

Not bad. I don't think I've ever gotten the number quite that high.

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Just completed Berwick Saga again! Yay! Woohoo! 

Way less deaths and mistakes this time around of course. 

Congratulations! Who were the highlights of your run? You better have used Adel.

Beaten Hollow Knight yesterday.

Hide contents

however only normal ending

It was the first real Metroidvania I have beaten.  It was a wonderful experience, ngl. Needing almost 40 h for it proves it. Made a more detailed review in the gaming section.

Congratulations to you too! I've heard great things of that game, so it doesn't surprise me too much you've enjoyed it.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

The DS games are mostly the same as the GBA one from what i can tell.

Nope. They're completely different, in fact. Instead of a puzzle platformer where you control Mario, pick up objects and interact with switches with some platforming challenges here and there, the following titles are touch screen puzzle games where you direct the Mini Marios to the exit by placing blocks and stuff in their path. From what I recall, the first couple of games weren't bad, but then they just started going more and more downhill until everyone forgot the series even existed. Did you know there were eight games in the franchise? I couldn't believe it myself when I heard it. I could've sworn there were like, three.

I also would like to mention that this game costs only 15 $ / €. Considering it costs 1/4 of what Metroid Dread does, I think it is a good investment for everyone who likes Metroidvanias combined with a sad atmosphere.

Gee, it's almost like the pricing of the big corporations is completely unreasonable when there's plenty of games out there that are just as good, if not better, for a fraction of the price.

49 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I just realised I caught Nina with Soleil. I am concerned about this outcome.

Given what their support is like, they probably just stared daggers at each other until Niles arrived and got daggers stared at him instead.

49 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Well I would if it mattered because I lost the Shining Bow.

Shame because it's the last paraloge and I'd be done with waiting on Rev.

That really is a shame. The shining bow is super good. It's also extremely hard to get, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Congratulations! Who were the highlights of your run? You better have used Adel.

Thanks!

uhm... lesee, mostly the same as last time, i gave Kramer a shot this round and he was alright. I'm not one that tends to deviate from favorites, sooooo yeah.

No, Adel was not used, his weapons ranks being so low is a pain to get up there.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Thanks!

uhm... lesee, mostly the same as last time, i gave Kramer a shot this round and he was alright. I'm not one that tends to deviate from favorites, sooooo yeah.

Fair enough. Did Derrick see any use?

Just now, lightcosmo said:

No, Adel was not used, his weapons ranks being so low is a pain to get up there.

Damnit, Cosmo. Why must you always be like this? I'll bet you didn't even use Derrick.

That really is a shame. The shining bow is super good. It's also extremely hard to get, so don't beat yourself up over it.

Oh no, I reset to get it.

I got it.

Percy choked the point.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh. Well, that's not great...

I mean, Niles and the Sniper I caught in Possessed and maybe Yamato (The Mechanist from Sakura who I plan on making a Ballastician) and Ludwig can do some damage to the fliers.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

With the amount of spoilers I've eaten over the years? Might as well skip straight to Korra. At least that one, I don't know as well.

Maybe see if it works for you regardless.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Given what their support is like, they probably just stared daggers at each other until Niles arrived and got daggers stared at him instead.

When I succeeded she caught Nina again.

With her being able to double and 1-shot you can see why.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not bad. I don't think I've ever gotten the number quite that high.

If you somehow pull it off there's over 20k sitting in that paralogue in Lunatic.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gee, it's almost like the pricing of the big corporations is completely unreasonable when there's plenty of games out there that are just as good, if not better, for a fraction of the price.

It's almost like larger corporations are better able to control pricing as they please.