Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Because in general you’d be right, I haven’t been inactive much, it’s just that I’ve just been comparatively less active for a bit recently. Which might still qualify as active, idrk.

That's probably it.

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Why not? It takes, like, two seconds to search up a map of any given area

I'd rather get through the game on my own terms. A guide once or twice is fine but i don't wanna be looking at one constantly.

14 minutes ago, Benice said:

Eh, DS areas are small enough that you'd most likely not have issues getting through them if it's been a while.

To be fair, that's Metroidvanias in general.

Except they have maps.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To be fair, that's Metroidvanias in general.

Except they have maps.

Well, it is one of the things that sets Souls games apart. The way you interact with the levels is different than if you had map.

Plus, keep in mind that a very large portion of people who have tried Dark Souls hate it. It ain't a wrong opinion to want a map, I just feel that having a map in Dark Souls is kinda against the point.

I'm glad Elden Ring will have one, though. The game's way too big to be able to omit a map.

49 minutes ago, Spara said:

There does not, since the way Berwick events work would make even just direct swaps a massive hassle to get working on the programming side. It would break a lot of scripted events entirely and probably the game itself alongside it.

Awww, thats too bad! 

Youre probably right, though. Sadly.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

...oops

Eh, you can play however you like. It's just that, in my opinion, the game gets really stale if you go in with the "I'm gonna do everything" mentality; the game generally will show you all the stuff it can.

With that being said, do whatever makes you enjoy the game.

Done with Episode 11 now, after which the original Original joins. I was intending to play just one more battle for Irm to get the Grungust, the other big powerhouse Ryusei's group gets before the midgame unification, but the battery didn't permit me to squeeze that in. Rai is the first character to learn SP Regenerate, and Ryusei and Latune are close behind, with Irm in a more distant fourth. The Wildraubtier with all my early money dumped into its mobility is basically untouchable even with Ryusei in the cockpit.

Episode 8 was the first where I didn't get the Skill Point. It looked impossible, and almost came into my grasp, but noooo one enemy refused to suicide into Lat on the last possible enemy phase.😑 Checking Akurasu to see how many Skill Points I need for the secret final battle ...it looks like they abolished that requirement, the true final battle is now mandatory. Still going to try playing for every Skill Point possible, though I won't fret it in case of a frustrating failure, it's more fun with those tight yet mostly fair soft deadlines. And the +5 Pilot Points for everyone fielded on the battlefield will add up.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW has come a long way to include stuff that isn't strictly speaking mechas, but back when I first saw OG I found it oddly to see just regular fighter aircraft in the game, and not transforming ones like the Valkyrie Fighters of Macross. XD

With the door to games being opened more by 30, any pipe dreaming of Ace Combat? It is a Namco IP.

It only adds to how, down to earth, how basic and totally plain OG1 is in terms of humanity's level of technology. OG2 and beyond have fixed that Vindel was right about war and advancement. But for OG1, I mean the concept of a flying mecha was considered revolutionary. I can see OG1 being a total bore to some, even setting aside the lack of licensed crossover.

Although, even 2nd and Moon Dwellers had a single fighter plane available for use. No reason anyone should bother with it, but I suppose there's a meme to be had.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is it common for SRW to have well.....not robots?

In this particular case, see my above reply to Acacia for some explanation.

Humanity at the start of OG1, definitely more than any mainline, is "primitive". The super hi-tech things using special engines and heavy customization or invoking the powers of gods and ancient civilizations begin appearing as OG1 progresses, but the process isn't entirely completed until OG2.

For OG1, each of the two routes get 2-3 fighter jets and 1 space jet. But the fighters are intended to be temporary, the fighter pilots on Kyosuke's route upgrade almost right away to bargain bin mecha. On Ryusei's they linger around a little longer. They aren't intended to be long-term units and shouldn't be, Lat is just amazing enough to make a plane good, yet even she should upgrade eventually.

And more generally speaking, bad guys can use fighter jets, tanks, turrets, nuclear missiles, battleships etc. all they want. More goons are more EXP/Kills/Funds/Pilot Points for me.

And, a couple playable battleships is a sine qua non of almost any SRW as well, you need somewhere to store the mecha between missions.

• Technically, player battleships should be inferior at combat compared to the robots (after all, it's Super Robot Wars), and mostly useful for Commander hit & evade bonuses, or replenishing HP/EN/Ammo via docking units back in the battleships for a few turns. And the battleships are always a Game Over if they get destroyed, so should be like kings in chess, important, but vulnerable and not exactly good.
    • However some battleships have shown the potential to clear entire maps I'm told (they aren't in OG, that's for sure). I thought I heard some say the Yamato as of late (itself not from a mecha anime, it's from its titular battleship space opera) was brokenly good.

Also, kaiju-like creatures that are more organic than inorganic for the bad guys is fine. SRW will have them explode upon destruction anyhow. So in case of XS, Gnosis of adequate size would be nothing unusual.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Super Robot Wars, where dudes just duke it out on foot.

In the extreme dying dream of a madman fantasy of XG in SRW, see 2:42:07 if the timestamp isn't working.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

While Acacia and Observer are fighting their super robot wars, I'll be with my own game about fighting robots

IMG_20211119_173136.jpg

Let's see if my interest from the Project X Zone games pays off.

Not really for me -I think- for a number of reasons. But I do hope it's good! The unusual blend of genres sounds intriguing.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

It's certainly telling that, Aerogaters/Balmarians stuff aside, OG1 definitely kept itself grounded. With the most fantastical stuff you had on your side was the psychic stuff and Cybaster. It's understandable since the first half of OG1 is basically just the plot of SRW 2, which itself was also mostly grounded too since it was basically a strict inter-humanity conflict. Again, other than Cybaster, the most wild stuff was that the appearance of both the Dinosaur and Hyakki Empires of Getter Robo, and Gundam's Newtypes. Mazinger's Kikaiju is just super advanced AI (while not exactly mundane it's still more grounded than evolved dinosaurs or outright oni), and of course, Gundam outside Newtypes is just "standard" mechs with the Mobile Suits and Gundams. Psycodrivers is basically OG's answer to Newtypes.

OG2 was when they really went wild by adding the Einst, Chokijin, Shadow Mirrors, etc.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Agh, I hit a snag with my writing. Don't know if to write out a segment of events or just summarize them. I thought to instead cut away to a different scene to skip it over altogether, but I felt it'd be a bit jarring.

12 hours ago, Shrimp γ said:

gpd115e.jpg

these ones

Ah, these ones on the way to the tower.

Forgot about them because you only have to fight these once

Spoiler

on the way to the boss Soul Master.

Speaking of the boss, it is the exact same type, only even more annoying.

I could not log in to the forum anymore yesterday evening for some reason, so sorry for late reply.

@Armagon Project Sakura Wars goede

Though I have to finish it yet.

Was my first RPG x visual novel, and I enjoyed what I played.

Edited by Julizan

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well, that took longer than expected.

b0EeqYu.png
Yes, over half the chart is Three Houses characters. What can I say, it has the best characters in the series.

What a depressing list.

Gonzo's rad at least. And Forrest. Seteth's one of four cool Three Houses characters. I approve of those choices.

Gatekeeper and Quan are meme picks because I didn’t know who to put there,

I like how you also ignored the text below the box. Or at least disregarded it.

...Still better than me, who straight up missed it because I was too focused on putting Garon there.

I missed this, because I actually have not been all that active lately, nor following the thread that closely. I’ve managed to maybe chime in once every other day or something like that, though.

I am perfectly okay though, thanks! I just haven’t been in much of a video games mood lately, and without that there’s basically nothing to add here, like ever.

Wait that's possible?

We're nerdy boys like that. Hey, you can do like Wraith and talk about books instead!

What I did was knock out all the classes until no one else from either male or female stuck out to me in an unrepresented class and then look at them. Which was easy for Lucina, because she was the highlight of an FE I really didn’t enjoy that much, but no men stood out to me (although I debated Yuri and Hanneman, but I didn’t want too much Three Houses in there).

The one character from Three Houses that I would've been fine with you adding.

And you decided that was the moment there were too many Three Houses characters.

God damn you, Sooks.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Do you mean now or in general? Because in general you’d be right, I haven’t been inactive much, it’s just that I’ve just been comparatively less active for a bit recently. Which might still qualify as active, idrk.

Active enough.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This took a bit longer to make than I expected, but

AM-JKLUL2d-KcN1GoAiIYNWjmA4cporrN820h6r3

Actually? Screw Lyon. The one that's really hogging the spotlight is Forrest. That's an almost perfect score of four out of five. All people with otherwise pretty different tastes in characters too. Wow. Rather impressive, if I do say so myself.

6 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yeah I have a couple of cheats using enemies that I like (and a couple of jokey picks).

I mean at least you didn't straight up eliminate one of the categories.

For the record, if I absolutely had to choose a manakete, it's Bantu. Because at least Bantu is funny and different as opposed to a loli.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how you also ignored the text below the box. Or at least disregarded it.

I mean, gatekeeper literally has the design for a generic solider class from Three Houses, and is playable in Heroes. So I counted it.

Wait that's possible?

Yeah, who knew. Hasn’t really happened before, but before I was also a kid who didn’t really care about anything so yeah.

We're nerdy boys like that. Hey, you can do like Wraith and talk about books instead!

I actually have had to read a book, courtesy of high school. One of the great literary classics or something, Homer’s The Odyssey.

It sucks and I can barely follow the English translation. Luckily we get to read a graphic novel someone made instead, with words actual humans still use. Wraith is going to smite me when he reads this, isn’t he?

The one character from Three Houses that I would've been fine with you adding.

And you decided that was the moment there were too many Three Houses characters.

God damn you, Sooks.

Haha, but hey, I put in Gilbert! He’s a Three Houses old man! And he’s pretty cool.

For the record, if I absolutely had to choose a manakete, it's Bantu. Because at least Bantu is funny and different as opposed to a loli.

Ah, yes, Bantu. I recently recruited him in Shadow Dragon and still have no clue why he exists at all.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I actually have had to read a book, courtesy of high school. One of the great literary classics or something, Homer’s The Odyssey.

It sucks and I can barely follow the English translation. Luckily we get to read a graphic novel someone made instead, with words actual humans still use. Wraith is going to smite me when he reads this, isn’t he?

Don't worry, I'll do it instead.

Jokes aside, I get it.
That type of literature isn't for everyone. And translations of the Odyssey in particular (as well as the Iliad) have the baffling habit of trying to keep the hexameter metric intact, which works... literally never in any language that isn't Latin or Greek, making it incredibly hard to read.

27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, gatekeeper literally has the design for a generic solider class from Three Houses, and is playable in Heroes. So I counted it.

Garon is playable in Heroes too. It totally makes sense for both of us.

Oh yeah, that's certainly one of the classics.

It sucks and I can barely follow the English translation.

Yes, that's basically how reading the classics in school tends to go. It's what happens when you try to get developing teenagers to read complex works of art at a set speed and then demand that they understand everything perfectly lest their marks tank.

I swear, forced reads at school kill the concept of reading for teenagers more than anything.

Luckily we get to read a graphic novel someone made instead, with words actual humans still use.

To be fair, the opposite extreme is no good either. When I was in high school, they wanted to make the forced reads hip and kewl and modern for the kids. The result was that we were made to read a bad rip off of Twilight. I am not kidding. Dead Until Dark was the name of the book, and if I recall correctly, it starred some chick who could read minds and some vampire dude whose mind she couldn't read, so she fell in love with him because he was so mysterious.

I did not read much of it. I just straight up refused. I don't recall how I handled the exam. Maybe we didn't even get an exam, I don't think our teacher was too happy with that book either.

Wraith is going to smite me when he reads this, isn’t he?

Probably.

Haha, but hey, I put in Gilbert! He’s a Three Houses old man! And he’s pretty cool.

He's not exactly likeable, but I agree that he's a good character. Interesting, flawed and fits the themes of his nation. The fact that people hate him so much speaks volumes of his good writing.

...I'll never understand the crowd that thinks it's a good thing for Annette to murder him, though. Yeah, I've seen people who unironically believed that. Okay, so this is a dad who has made grave mistakes, suffers from a deep depression that keeps him from thinking straight and has a complicated relationship with his daughter... and your solution is to traumatize the girl for life by making her burn her own father to death? Great job, guys, Gilbert is totally the evil one here.

Ah, yes, Bantu. I recently recruited him in Shadow Dragon and still have no clue why he exists at all.

He exists to recruit Tiki.

In New Mystery, though. New Mystery is where he's the real joke. You have to make Marth run in the opposite direction of the seize point in a map with a pretty tight time limit, and he joins without items, the worst bases and the worst growths in the entire game. It's straight up better to leave him there, there's zero reason to grab him.

Seriously, he's worse than fucking negative-2-base-magic Yubello. That's so impressive.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Don't you need him for the true ending?

Nope. He recruits nobody, he brings no star shards with him, he's not needed to unlock any gaiden maps... He might just be the unit least worth recruiting in the entire series. Because even something like Wendy joins automatically, it's not like you have to go out of your way for her benchable butt. On the other hand, someone like Xavier is hell to recruit, but he's a fine unit when he does join, so it can be nice to take him.

FE12!Bantu, though? Bantu requires that you run in the opposite direction in a map where time is extremely limited, and he brings literally nothing to the table. He has no stats, no growths, no items, no utility... Not even a dragonstone to sell, that's on a thief on the other side of the map who drops it. It's impressive how utterly and absolutely worthless the poor guy is.

...But at least he's not Astram. In Bantu's case, the right play is to ignore him. In Astram's case, the right play is to straight up murder him to get his sword early and so that you don't have to deploy Jeorge's fallen off ass in chapter 16.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Garon is playable in Heroes too. It totally makes sense for both of us.

Yes, me and my pal Ruben, who love nothing more than spending thousands of dollars in the gacha to get PNGs of our favorite Fiya Emblem characters to use in the extremely refined, challenging, and tight Heroes gameplay.

He's not exactly likeable, but I agree that he's a good character. Interesting, flawed and fits the themes of his nation. The fact that people hate him so much speaks volumes of his good writing.

I didn’t mean he was likable, just that he’s a good character because of what you said.

...I'll never understand the crowd that thinks it's a good thing for Annette to murder him, though. Yeah, I've seen people who unironically believed that. Okay, so this is a dad who has made grave mistakes, suffers from a deep depression that keeps him from thinking straight and has a complicated relationship with his daughter... and your solution is to traumatize the girl for life by making her burn her own father to death? Great job, guys, Gilbert is totally the evil one here.

Having characters with unique battle dialogue finishing the other off is always the morally correct choice. It’s cool.

He exists to recruit Tiki.

And having 2 in every stat while joining early to recruit a character at the end of the game is definitely peak game design.

In New Mystery, though. New Mystery is where he's the real joke. You have to make Marth run in the opposite direction of the seize point in a map with a pretty tight time limit, and he joins without items, the worst bases and the worst growths in the entire game. It's straight up better to leave him there, there's zero reason to grab him.

Seriously, he's worse than fucking negative-2-base-magic Yubello. That's so impressive.

Well, there is one reason to recruit him.

No man left behind. Unless you’re Samson. Or Frey, canonically.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And more generally speaking, bad guys can use fighter jets, tanks, turrets, nuclear missiles, battleships etc. all they want. More goons are more EXP/Kills/Funds/Pilot Points for me.

Well that escalated quickly.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The unusual blend of genres sounds intriguing.

It's neat so far. It's definitely more VN with the actual gameplay being kinda mindless at least on this first chapter (it's basically a linear Musou, ngl, i didn't expect that) but first impressions are generally positive.

Music good.

6 hours ago, Julizan said:

Project Sakura Wars goede

Though I have to finish it yet.

Was my first RPG x visual novel, and I enjoyed what I played

It's Persona but with robots except it's more accurate to say Persona is Sakura Wars but with Stands because Sakura Wars was doing the whole RPG/Dating Sim hybrid thing like 10 years before Persona did it.

Hopefully the game maintains momentum and stuff.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

6L7uuJA.jpg

She said

maxresdefault.jpg

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That type of literature isn't for everyone. And translations of the Odyssey in particular (as well as the Iliad) have the baffling habit of trying to keep the hexameter metric intact, which works... literally never in any language that isn't Latin or Greek, making it incredibly hard to read.

I remember in 12th Grade, we read Macbeth (or the graphic novel adaptation anyway) and we originally went with the Ye Olde English first and then the teacher just said fuck it and ordered the version of the graphic novel with modern English instead.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I swear, forced reads at school kill the concept of reading for teenagers more than anything.

Don't forget about the part where they assign schoolwork over summer break.