Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

21 minutes ago, Benice said:

It's not flawless, as the more open level design causes some... Issues in terms of progression on occasion, (I did actually have to use a guide at one point because I thought I'd softlocked the game) but it is one I could actually recommend to you without thinking that you'd hate it.

I think i got something like that in Fallen Order. Nothing to the extent that you did with Sekiro but there were a few times where i couldn't tell that this part of the environment was interactable.

21 minutes ago, Benice said:

Souls is rolling

Fallen Order does have an unlockable skill in which you roll -> counterattack (which is key in Insomniac Spider-Man and Gravity Rush 2, hence why i keep trying to do it) but i can't seem to pull it off.

20 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah it sucks and honestly brings the whole series down

They create such a big living world, then make it one without consequences, making it all useless

Imagine if at end of Act 1 of CS2, Rean's father got killed by the mercs. Rean snaps and in berserker state kills some of the Jägers, with Elise bringing him back to his senses (or player bonding choice, or Emma magic'fying him back). In the civil war both sides commit heinous acts and our party in the middle of it. Not just an overglorifief school trip

In Crossbell Rean curting down tanks and aircrafts doesn't end with Corrin style non-lethal execution where the world bends over just to make him do no wrong.

That alone turns CS2 to me from absolute shit to something good. Party feels loss and have a stake in the war. Rean now is broken for real.

Crow & Millium stay dead. Olivier dunno, maybe, but his promise has to be fulfilled.

Remove curse bullshit and replace it with something not plot destroying.

Just these changes are enough to make me not hate the Saga. I will tolerate the harem shit like i did in Crossbell, then, even.

Spoiler
20 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Imagine if at end of Act 1 of CS2, Rean's father got killed by the mercs

I actually thought he was until they were like "Rean your father is still alive". Nah bruh, that dude got turned into swiss cheese and he ain't a JoJo character. He should be dead.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Spoiler

Nah bruh, that dude got turned into swiss cheese and he ain't a JoJo character. He should be dead.

Ikr

Spoiler

If they are afraid of killing off characters so much, even NPC, they shouldn't write War stories and stick to monster hunting in dungeons or something, dunno.

They could try alchemist, but that's covered by GUST atm, so no dice

Edited by Shrimpresident

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think i got something like that in Fallen Order. Nothing to the extent that you did with Sekiro but there were a few times where i couldn't tell that this part of the environment was interactable.

I haven't yet had that problem with Sekiro, because does do a pretty good job of showing what is interactable. I don't know if you want me to tell ya what gave me troubles, but I think I wasn't the only one...

...I'm also very not smart, so after I spent a couple of hours running in circles, I just used a guide.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fallen Order does have an unlockable skill in which you roll -> counterattack (which is key in Insomniac Spider-Man and Gravity Rush 2, hence why i keep trying to do it) but i can't seem to pull it off.

Ye, but IIRC dodging gives very few iframes, and you're not really intended to just tap/roll dodge through everything.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Guess I'll soon overtake you then, hahaha.

Yup.

Unless I get into gear, but I've had a long time to do that.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can recommend that, Steins;Gate is pretty okay whenever it's not busy being predictable, having boring characters or pissing me the fuck off with that godawful shower scene switcheroo.

So what you're saying is

7 hours ago, Shrimpresident said:

yes, join the Steins;Cult and become a Lab member!

Perhaps.

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

It has nothing to do with swords, Sephiroth being positively received proves that. Everyone would've loved Byleth if they weren't from Fire Emblem. Usually "too many swords" is just an excuse for "character I don't like". But thanks to the Smash fanbase, we now know that Pyra and Mythra are honorary Fire Emblem characters.

Aye, that's the same conclusion I came with. It really clicked for me when Byleth was revealed and people still hated them, despite being completely different from the other FE characters, both in gameplay, and in appearance.

Rose-Guardian-3.png

I can't believe they reused this design from LA2.

Ayano001.png

Somehow, four girls dressed like this go around in the shadows protecting the academy from petty evildoing. Thanks to the heroes wanting to spare Heine the alleged underwear thief from vigilante death penalty, and b/c Ashley doesn't want her rose garden filled with paper slips of wishes to the shady Rose Guardians, I have to fight them plus Dino.

I missed this optional battle on my first playthrough, and I definitely would've lost again and again and again. Only five enemies on the map, but they each get like five turns for every one of yours. I have to keep Heine alive for the fight, but that's a tall order, since he's Nature and Dino is Wind, Dino easily 2HKOs him. It's maps like these which make dynamic turn order appear worse than it has to be. Either give everyone the same turn speed to keep things even, or put a limit on how many more turns, if any, a character can get than a slower one.

5 hours ago, Shrimpresident said:

5RtGnAT.png

Priests are into that aren't they

Angel-Dx2-Art.png

I know the angels are.

As a factoid, SMT did dabble with cyberspace dystopia twice. Once with SMTII on the Super Famicom, and once with the flop called SMT NINE on the Xbox (yes, Xbox, that console line Japan adores).

3 hours ago, Shrimpresident said:

7g75Xmc.png

Not to repeat exactly what Armagon said here eyes are really poorly drawn here. They've the XC1 Wii version issue of feeling like they're painted on, it's that unnatural.

And as for the text. Ya see, I can laugh with all my soul at the Endless Frontier stuff Armagon has been posting, but this jumps over the cliff into the "disgusting get this away from me!🤮" territory. It's also plain creepy in this case, unless the couple actually enjoys being exhibitionists.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

....Although i do wonder, i'm guessing the EF duology is an exception and not the rule. As in, SRW isn't usually that horny.

I've only played some of mainline OGverse of course, but no, it isn't. You will find a similar vibe to the writing, jumping from soap opera serious and mecha flashiness to comedy at the drop of a hat. Some characters therein are silly and or sexual creatures, but then people like Sanger are basically asexual and all seriousness. I would think the many licensed mecha as varied or even more so.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Finished Hades yesterday. 40 attempts to get through 10 times, with my top run being Aspect of Achilles spear with 8 heat, done in 18 minutes with the five minutes per level and faster enemies restrictions. It was a pretty fun game, and one I could recommend easily to absolutely anyone at all. It's very fun, it's challenging but not impossible, it controls well, I liked the art-style (though it took a while to grow on me), and the music was pretty good. I liked all the characters too, and the story was enjoyable.

Though I'm not quite sure why it became as popular and beloved as it did-It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not that good. I'm not an expert in Roguelikes, but it seemed a lot like any other Roguelike I could imagine, if not controlling better since the rest I've played are mobile games.

I've heard secondhand it's b/c well-written characters. Good gameplay isn't rare with this genre, but story and characters seem to be traditionally lacking.

I would've tried Hades, but then, I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon as a child. I finished Blue Rescue Team, but I never came close to finishing Explorers of Time. I never really attempted the postgame dungeons of BRT either, so concluded I wasn't really into mystery dungeons, which are roguelikes.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

've heard secondhand it's b/c well-written characters. Good gameplay isn't rare with this genre, but story and characters seem to be traditionally lacking.

Ah.

Yeah, the characters were good. Not amazing, from what I saw, but memorable and enjoyable.

Although I do find it funny how you can romance three characters at once and even do a polyamorous relationship with specifically two of them, but the third of the romance options can't join in. RIP.

They weren’t kidding when they said Cold Steel manages to make Mecha battles boring. Wow.

Also, I think I’m going with Crow’s event. While I want Rean and Alisa’s relationship to progress, Rean and Crow’s relationship is much, much more integral to the plot right now, while the romance is more of a side thing. A cute side thing I want more of, but a side thing nonetheless. Maybe they’ll finally get together in CS2.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Although I do find it funny how you can romance three characters at once and even do a polyamorous relationship with specifically two of them, but the third of the romance options can't join in. RIP.

It's the Greco-Roman pantheon. Affairs and one-night stands were fairly commonplace among the gods, how many children did Zeus father? Not plural marriage, but for a modern update on in line with the free sexual spirit of Ancient Greece & Rome (for deities, and human men, but not human women, or slaves) polyamory isn't a bad idea.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's the Greco-Roman pantheon. Affairs and one-night stands were fairly commonplace among the gods, how many children did Zeus father? Not plural marriage, but for a modern update on in line with the free sexual spirit of Ancient Greece & Rome (for deities, and human men, but not human women, or slaves) polyamory isn't a bad idea.

Oh, have no issue with that, I just find it funny how one specific character cannot join into the polyamory.

That was… such a sudden ending. It didn’t feel built up to like the previous cliffhanger, it’s like they just threw a fade to black in the most random moment.

So… that’s Trails of Cold Steel. Ultimately, it did. very much feel like a set up game. There wasn’t a ton in the way of an overarching, game wide plot, but there was a lot of world building and characters and stuff. At this point, though, the whole “one game of set up, then the next game is when stuff gets real” format is kind of being forced on the series at this point. It worked for FC because FC has its own self contained story (other than the cliffhanger ending) and that’s how the plot was designed, but after that, Zero was definitely mostly unnecessary and now Cold Steel definitely does not feel like it warranted being a full game either… but I guess I can’t fully judge that until I play the game it was meant to set up, Cold Steel 2. That’s just how I feel for now. The little overall plot there was was decent though, and things got really interesting right at the end, even if all of that interestingness boiled down to Falcom screaming “play the next game!” at you. The characters were definitely a weak point in this game though, most of them are hollow tropes who are randomly handed backstories 3/4s of the way in that I just can’t be bothered to care about, and they’re definitely not up to the series standard (although they feel a lot like Zero’s characters did, it’s just that this game has triple the cast size so I’m expected to care about a lot more characters). The gameplay was… something alright. In the beginning the game was pretty difficult and standard Trails. It introduced this link mechanic which is really cool but its massive potential is squandered because the only substantial way to interact with it is with Rean and whatever character you want, as opposed to having more control over everyone’s link levels with everyone else. They also cut out a whole mechanic, that being the whole elemental values for arts in quartz lines. Instead, arts now come from quartz directly. This was an absolutely horrible decision, quartz just feel so much more mindless as a result, and I don’t really know why they felt the need to remove a series staple. The game still maintains Trails level of difficulty early on, at least in nightmare mode. However, the game is actually really unbalanced, so when you start unlocking better crafts, the ability to stack delay, chrono burst etc. all semblance of difficulty just falls apart. As a result, I barely spent any time at all on gameplay in the latter stretch of the game, everything just sort of breezed by. On the bright side, the music was still good. Overall I enjoyed the game (I put 90 hours in, after all), it was just a pretty flawed experience.

I’d put the game in the tier list but I wouldn’t really know where to place it. The story and characters would have me put it in C tier, the same as Zero, but Zero’s gameplay runs circles around this game’s, yet I didn’t dislike it enough for it to go in anything lower than C. And that’s the problem with putting it in the tier list: it’s not that this is a bad game, because it isn’t, but it just doesn’t compare to any other Trails game when you look at the gameplay.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

worked for FC because FC has its own self contained story (other than the cliffhanger ending) and that’s how the plot was designed, but after that, Zero was definitely mostly unnecessary

Zero had the cult plot and finished it and had the conclusion to a very important plot point introduced in Sky....

CS1 had what exactly.... a fucking festival?

Both Zero and FC finished their respective arcs (cult in Zero, coup in FC), not to mention Zero didn't finish on a cliffhanger. CS1 didn't finish anything. It set up something yeah, but no arc was finished.

Also on Mecha battles, Pokemon but more boring i call em 😛

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

it was just a pretty flawed experience.

Best way to describe CS1.

Especially gameplay was utter shit, but all in all it was a decent game.

Now the point of Fate arrives.

Will you join me and Cosmo, or will you become a Rean apologist? Or will you wait until CS3/4? We shall see:p

Edited by Shrimpresident

Okay, back to Best Fire Emblem according to the entire FE fanbase for a ton of years before a Youtuber made a video trashing it and everyone collectively decided they now hated it.

For the record, I was trashing it long before it was cool.

29 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Best way to describe CS1.

Especially gameplay was utter shit, but all in all it was a decent game.

Now the point of Fate arrives.

Will you join me and Cosmo, or will you become a Rean apologist? Or will you wait until CS3/4? We shall see:p

Maybe he'll just take the middle road and dislike the game, y'know, reasonably.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For the record, I was trashing it long before it was cool.

Same bro, same

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Maybe he'll just take the middle road and dislike the game, y'know, reasonably.

Three houses :p

Also Cosmo and me are disliking it reasonably. The games are that bad. Even a professional reviewer called the Saga a mistake

I think I have to reset again. I didn't realize this thief man had the secret card, so I have to be even faster in reaching the upper half of the level. God damnit all, Bartre got a good level.

...Yeah no, Vandal Hearts 2 time.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Three houses 😛

I don't remember ever calling all Three Houses fans names just because they like Three Houses, like I seem to remember (I apologize in advance if I'm wrong) you did a few times with Cold Steel fans. Heck, even Brightbow hasn't vocally condemned all players of Awakening, that I recall.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

like I seem to remember (I apologize in advance if I'm wrong) you did a few times with Cold Steel fans.

I did not do that, atleast not over here

The most i called them was modern Trails fans, or that i can't understand them. Unless you perceive modern Fans as an insult or something

Edited by Shrimpresident

7 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

I did not do that, atleast not over here

Hoo boy.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

The most i called them was modern Trails fans, or that i can't understand them. Unless you perceive modern Fans as an insult or something

I don't know, I distinctly recall you unironically calling them all otakus a couple times, just because they like Cold Steel a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you started screaming deplorable slurs at them or anything, but still, it rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

But I could be misremembering, and again, I'm sorry if I am.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Best Fire Emblem according to the entire FE fanbase for a ton of years before a Youtuber made a video trashing it and everyone collectively decided they now hated it.

I really don't talk about it much in the years before those videos and of course haven't played it in full in yonks, so opinion's more malleable than I anticipated.

Priorities prevent me from putting it back on the chopping block (though if BS gets it I suspect BB will too).

Edited by Dayni

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know, I distinctly recall you unironically calling them all otakus a couple times, just because they like Cold Steel a lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you started screaming deplorable slurs at them or anything, but still, it rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

No

What i did say was Falcom is clearly marketing it towards Otakus, not that they are all Otakus.

Don't misunderstand, i have alot of problems with alot of CS fans (not all), argued with them, hate them quite abit and do think they are a blight upon the fanbase. Getting called a hater for years after writing wall of texts -without any insults-, gifting games and introducing people to the series does that you. I even helped people with CS and prepared save files for all chapters and complete bonding events and sent them to those who needed it and yet even after i left the fanbase they kept stalking me. They are rabid, frecious and the worst type of people i've seen on the net. I've seen CS fans on pages i never visit talk about and insult me, and it only came to my attention thanks to some acquaintances. It was legit scary seeing people talk about me  with the only thing missing being them having my real name and address.

So yeah, fuck them, no love lost.

Anyway some Kyouma

Edited by Shrimpresident