• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I actually beat an entire chapter without anyone dying. Someone was maimed in the final battle because I took a risk that I did not have to because I was I confident he wouldn’t die in one hit, but eh, I’ll take it.

kdWfK4S.jpg
uMV370F.jpg

kzaxDRf.jpg
Snarky archer best archer.

Why is me getting a snarky archer, then becoming my favorite of my characters, and then me getting them killed in battle for the stupidest reason a constant across campaigns so far?

(Unrelated other funny part)

0Dqd6DC.jpg
Vb8Jf78.jpg

Well, that test was a bust.

Now I have to go and apply again.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

So Microsoft bought Acti-Blizzard today. I did not expect that.

Well shit.

Pretty major in terms of reducing the amount of publishers outside the manufacturers. On the other hand now Blizzard's their problem. Though does it mean I'm liable to be PC locked for any Spyro 4? Shit.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Horizontal integration" to put it in sterile terms, although many would say it's an alarming step towards monopoly, given the unprecedented size of the purchase. 

I wasn't personally shocked on hearing this, since I stick to Japanese games. And Activision-Blizzard is also bogged down by controversies and everything is dead or dying except CoD commenters have said. Still, the monopolistic fears aren't unwarranted, and Sony is probably in the midst of a heart attack at the prospect of losing CoD. 

The natural course of human nature married to economics has always been a want for monopoly among those making the profits. The guilds of medieval Europe attempted to monopolize their trades, being very anticompetitive. What has changed, is the capacity for scale, as the technological means to support larger and larger organizations has grown, at a pace able to counteract the expansion of the average human being's ability to explore the world and choose the markets in which they are engaged. I should not be surprised that fellow members of our species would do this in our era, for it is no different from any other.

I will admit, I didn't react the same way I do at another Tencent acquisition. But then, given the direction present politics are headed, I'll see little reason in some years to panic at Tencent buyouts. As what those bimbos at Microsoft, Disney, Google, Facebook, and Amazon don't yet realize, is the the Legitimate Armed Force Monopoly which we call "government", if it so desires, can buyout their top positions. Or else.🔫 Therefore, whilst we may be concerned about pure private sector monopoly right now, we've a few more years before things become an oligarchic conglomerate where politicians and businessmen might as well be fused into a single creature.😄

It's less horizontal and more diagonal imo.

Activsion have sort of burnt out their studios into the CoD grind, so it'll be interesting to see what happens from there. The thing is that Microsoft have played an interesting game in making their exclusives less so (letting Minecraft on everything, letting Deathloop go on PSS5) because I think the primary aim they have is through their Gamepass. And I can see it working, especially if other console's exclusives don't have enough of an impact.

It's apparent that there are a type who are more interested in accumulating, it's something that's been in pre-capitalist systems, but the capacity to do has existed for a good while and has been especially so during the last 4-5 decades, which might sound off but this oligopolistic behaviour has been trending upwards in entertainment and beyond.

Legit, I wouldn't trust for a damm minute that any state is going to make interventions at this point outside of China (and the buck will be mostly soft (e.g.: censorious actions) unless they're based there). There's a weird amount of coziness in lobbying particularly in the US where most of the companies you mention base themselves in except where they can funnel profits. So my expectations at avoiding monopolistic tendencies are infinitesimally tiny.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The US has long went past the point of being considered an Oligarchy.

A different shade of oligarchy then. I wouldn't think the Russian and American variants to be identical as it stands right now.

But then, pairing wealth with political power has long been the norm. Aristocracy took hold in Europe because land was wealth and the central governments didn't have the means to pay employees in cash or maintain effective control over all the realm. -To be a little reductive about it.

The difference, is the long age of land oligarchy is dead/irrelevant, we're alive and so is tech oligarchy. If I went back in time and slowly and successfully informed a 17th century Hungarian peasant about today's buyout, they would shrug and get back to robot. Bad things are always worse when you're experiencing them.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A different shade of oligarchy then. I wouldn't think the Russian and American variants to be identical as it stands right now.

But then, pairing wealth with political power has long been the norm. Aristocracy took hold in Europe because land was wealth and the central governments didn't have the means to pay employees in cash or maintain effective control over all the realm. -To be a little reductive about it.

The difference, is the long age of land oligarchy is dead/irrelevant, we're alive and so is tech oligarchy. If I went back in time and slowly and successfully informed a 17th century Hungarian peasant about today's buyout, they would shrug and get back to robot. Bad things are always worse when you're experiencing them.

The lesson here is that we've never moved on. We just changed the labels. The Nobility of back then are the Corporate CEOs and Politicians of today, and the Serfs are now called Workers.

Chapter 2 went by without any incident.

Now chapter 3 on the other hand, it begins with an ambush right out of the gate. It decided to put all of my squishies on one side of the map and my two characters that can actually take hits in the other corner. They put up a good fight, but in the end, Laira, my best mage, died and will be down 2 HP for the rest of the campaign. This hopefully won’t be that big of a deal because if your mage is getting attacked, you’re doing something wrong. Still makes me nervous though…

She also died very close to her daughter, which the game acknowledged. I thought that was cool.

Speaking of her daughter, she’s the third person to join with greedy as one of her top two traits, meaning half of my characters now have greed as one of their defining traits. I don’t know what to make of this.

I never got around to giving my order of CS games for ratings:

CS I ----> CS II ----> CS IV -----> CS III

CS III is the worst cause they added break and brave orders, and they made the game unplayable.

17 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I never got around to giving my order of CS games for ratings:

CS I ----> CS II ----> CS IV -----> CS III

CS III is the worst cause they added break and brave orders, and they made the game unplayable.

Don’t let Shrimp-kun see this! It will drive away what little sanity it has left.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sony is probably in the midst of a heart attack at the prospect of losing CoD. 

Bethesda games did not become Microsoft exclusive after the purchase so i doubt things would play differently here.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

272111016_10166432934125392_382559375428

The fact that he's getting paid at all sucks but we can't really do anything about that tho.

Here are some lighter memes on the news

20220118_162435.jpg?width=518&height=432

20220118_162446.jpg?width=522&height=432

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Now chapter 3 on the other hand, it begins with an ambush right out of the gate. It decided to put all of my squishies on one side of the map and my two characters that can actually take hits in the other corner. They put up a good fight, but in the end, Laira, my best mage, died and will be down 2 HP for the rest of the campaign. This hopefully won’t be that big of a deal because if your mage is getting attacked, you’re doing something wrong. Still makes me nervous though…

Yeah, the start of chapter fights can be annoying. There ARE ways to make a physical combat mage, but it's not the easiest combination to attain. Other than that, they'll probably get close to one-shot by every freaking enemy either way if it's not magic damage, so -2HP is not that big a deal indeed. I can understand why you'd be nervous though. Some of these monsters have got way too much movement or range XD

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

She also died very close to her daughter, which the game acknowledged. I thought that was cool.

I'm not certain how much they acknowledge it. I know it takes characters that are in the battle, and the relationship scenario will happen often if possible, but I've never tried to understand its inner workings and whether it was just random chance or affected by the environment and situation. In any case, it is pretty cool to get that moment indeed!

I got an encounter where the snarky archer, Kathbarn, took two friends to go to a house he’d been dreaming about for a while there. The women there said she was a forest seer or something along those lines, and she’d spent her life helping people with prophecy. She said that his dreams meant that he was to be the next great seer and offered to teach him all she knew. From there I had the choice to have him go “No, my life is on the battlefield!” or whatever like a typical SRPG character, which would have done nothing, or I could have him stay to become a seer, which would prevent a lot of future incursions (enemies that appear on the map and take your towns and various sites of production that you have to fight a challenging battle to get rid of), but I would lose him as a playable character. In the end, I decided to have him follow his destiny since he was already at retirement age (meaning he would retire after this chapter and wouldn’t be playable in any future chapters), and after one last battle he left to become a seer. Goodbye best character, you won’t be forgotten! I’ll miss his familiar, his stupid busted transformation, the fact that he got one of the best skills in the game as his first skill, etc., but it’s not like I would have had him for much longer. Plus, this way the snarky archer didn’t actually die because of my tactical ineptitude for once! Or at all on screen, really.

Now to focus on training my new archer, who’s pretty weak right now, but was gonna have to pick up the slack anyway because retirement age.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I got an encounter where the snarky archer, Kathbarn, took two friends to go to a house he’d been dreaming about for a while there. The women there said she was a forest seer or something along those lines, and she’d spent her life helping people with prophecy. She said that his dreams meant that he was to be the next great seer and offered to teach him all she knew. From there I had the choice to have him go “No, my life is on the battlefield!” or whatever like a typical SRPG character, which would have done nothing, or I could have him stay to become a seer, which would prevent a lot of future incursions (enemies that appear on the map and take your towns and various sites of production that you have to fight a challenging battle to get rid of), but I would lose him as a playable character. In the end, I decided to have him follow his destiny since he was already at retirement age (meaning he would retire after this chapter and wouldn’t be playable in any future chapters), and after one last battle he left to become a seer. Goodbye best character, you won’t be forgotten! I’ll miss his familiar, his stupid busted transformation, the fact that he got one of the best skills in the game as his first skill, etc., but it’s not like I would have had him for much longer. Plus, this way the snarky archer didn’t actually die because of my tactical ineptitude for once! Or at all on screen, really.

Now to focus on training my new archer, who’s pretty weak right now, but was gonna have to pick up the slack anyway because retirement age.

Oh, yeah, that's actually a nice encounter. There's at least another that gives a similar approach and it's always nice to see the characters not being locked to the party if they have a different calling. Though I think I chose for them to stay with the party at that encounter cause their personality wasn't much about destiny and more about doing whatever the frick they wanted, so it seemed more in character to have them refuse the taxing responsibility.

What transformation and skill are you talking about? I find rangers have the widest array of useful skills and workable builds. Though I'm a huge fan of the one that lets you stay invisible forever as long as you slaughter everything in sight. As for transformations, I haven't tried them all yet, but they mostly felt on par with each other, only some more focused on utility while others more focused on power. I don't really have a favorite one for those cause I find most of them pretty cool XD Though I'm sad to have lost one that was pretty hard to get because of the old legacy system.

You know, I've faintly been considering replaying Path of Radiance, as I've mentioned before. So earlier, out of boredom while I waited for lunch, I played the prologue.

Well, that didn't last long. I didn't remember how ugly and slow the game is. Yeah, nah, I think I'm good. Might do Trails after FE7. If I can fight off the urge to replay Sword of Heaven and Earth instead. I wish I were playing SoHaE instead of FE7. But then again, I'd be having an even worse case of unit indecisiveness if I were.

Eh. Let's go. Kinship's bond, the map where I get Worst Design, OG Storm and Female Paladin. I kinda want to have Isadora for the animations if nothing else. Her con is as atrocious as I remember, but this is FE7, the game where Bernard with his 7 speed can still double a number of things and Eagler with roughly the same stats as base Marcus is viable. She'll be fine.

3 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Oh, yeah, that's actually a nice encounter. There's at least another that gives a similar approach and it's always nice to see the characters not being locked to the party if they have a different calling. Though I think I chose for them to stay with the party at that encounter cause their personality wasn't much about destiny and more about doing whatever the frick they wanted, so it seemed more in character to have them refuse the taxing responsibility.

I thought this about my character as well, because he was in the same boat, but talking to his friend after accepting the job he said something about “planning to be a little more enterprising” with the job of seer (the old lady had been doing it for free) which is such a cool detail for someone whose main trait is greed.

What transformation and skill are you talking about? I find rangers have the widest array of useful skills and workable builds.

The transformation is the crow transformation, which gives a ton of speed, meaning a ton of movement. This is a perfect combination with—

Though I'm a huge fan of the one that lets you stay invisible forever as long as you slaughter everything in sight.

Ayup, that’s the one! He got it first level.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh. Let's go. Kinship's bond, the map where I get Worst Design, OG Storm and Female Paladin. I kinda want to have Isadora for the animations if nothing else. Her con is as atrocious as I remember, but this is FE7, the game where Bernard with his 7 speed can still double a number of things and Eagler with roughly the same stats as base Marcus is viable. She'll be fine.

Who has the worst design?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Who has the worst design?

Heath. He looks like a Sonic OC. Bright green messy hair with random white strands, white eyes, dark armor with a broken shoulder pad for no reason... It all seems like a 12 year old's poor attempt to make an anime badass.

Hey, that's just my opinion, though. Heath looks very dumb to me, but that's just me.

r13Klhi.jpg
Hey, best character!

I’m glad this game acknowledges this decision instead of just taking the character, changing the odds of an incursion internally and calling it a day. The level of attention to detail in this game continues to impress.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Heath. He looks like a Sonic OC. Bright green messy hair with random white strands, white eyes, dark armor with a broken shoulder pad for no reason... It all seems like a 12 year old's poor attempt to make an anime badass.

Hey, that's just my opinion, though. Heath looks very dumb to me, but that's just me.

Ah yes, Heath. He is the first playable wyvern rider in my first Fire Emblem game, and I thought riding a wyvern into battle was the coolest thing when I first saw it, so you can imagine what happened.

And what happened was that I tried to use him and failed spectacularly because I was really bad at the game and his starting inventory is not good, but I didn’t want to take better weapons from anyone else. So he got benched almost immediately. Hoorah!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Eagler got downed by a ballista.

...Yeah, you know what? Congratulations, Isadora! Looks like you've got yourself an invitation to the team, because I cannot be arsed to reset!

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ah yes, Heath. He is the first playable wyvern rider in my first Fire Emblem game, and I thought riding a wyvern into battle was the coolest thing when I first saw it, so you can imagine what happened.

And what happened was that I tried to use him and failed spectacularly because I was really bad at the game and his starting inventory is not good, but I didn’t want to take better weapons from anyone else. So he got benched almost immediately. Hoorah!

Oof.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Isadora... currently writing a fanfic involving her and Eliwood's mother, heh...

She's pretty cool. One of those cool things about FE7. That combat sprite of hers is beautiful.

https://images2.imgbox.com/84/f3/P3NJASb7_o.png

Yeah, R.I.P. Eagler. She's reached S light, too. Jesus fucking Christ. She's ascended to the next level. Now her theme song is a metal remix.

...Man, of all the things to happen in this revisiting of FE7, "please step on me Serra" was probably the last I expected. And yet here we are. This girl is going to murder Nergal, and then the dragon. And then she's going to usurp the throne from Hector's weak, underlevelled ass and conquer the world on her own. Erk will probably help, I'm so going to get them an A support.