• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

27 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

I mean, they don't look that alien to me. Bizarre, sure. Terrible, sure. But alien? One is an Origami. Another is a garbage disposal machine with arms. Another is a bunch of electrical wires. Another is a floating grandma hat with squishy jelly hair. Most of them you would set them in gen 5 and they would fit, with the industrial lifestyle design they took

Eh, i disagree. Like obviously Pokemon has done weirder designs but there is something about the Ultra Beasts that makes them stand out.

23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So the one thing that immediately drew me to 13 Sentinels was the very unique narrative structure the game goes for, and already it’s using it to tell the story extremely well, this is so cool. I won’t go in to specifics, but I’ve already had more than one

yU8l0bu.jpg

moment using information from one character’s storyline in another. And that’s absolutely a good thing.

You will be doing this quite a lot. Yeah the way all the stories intersect is really neat. You might've seen it already but the event log does show you the chronological order of everything you've seen so far and at least for me, one of the things i really liked was seeing that log slowly fill up with all the pieces.

Edited by Armagon

19 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

A worthy reason, if i say so myself

Spoiler

Chapter 139 Whiny Eren Face Template. Feel free to use it to proclaim that  Eren's back. : r/titanfolk

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You will be doing this quite a lot. Yeah the way all the stories intersect is really neat. You might've seen it already but the event log does show you the chronological order of everything you've seen so far and at least for me, one of the things i really liked was seeing that log slowly fill up with all the pieces.

I'm hoping this game gets 70% off soon!

Okay @Armagon! I’m done with the prologue and could now switch the difficulty to intense. I do have some questions though.

Spoiler

So I can now alternate between combat and the characters’ storylines, but what’s the point of combat in the progression of the story? If I understand correctly, I have to play up to a certain part in the combat to continue Shu’s story, so will progression in that part of the game just be a requirement for characters’ stories at various points?

The little tutorial menu says something about character’s stories once the game opens up, so to speak, says something about their stories branching out and seeing every path, which reminded me that this is technically a visual novel. But that doesn’t make any sense considering the whole times wimey “what’s the chronological order” theme the game is going for. So will I be making choices? And are they major choices orrr?

Anyway here are just general thoughts: so far the stories I’m most interested in are Megumi’s and Ei’s. They’re both the most mysterious, and Megumi’s is the only one that introduces suffering right out of the gate, so ofc I’m gonna be drawn to that one. And as a result of liking Megumi’s story, I’m interested in Juro’s, since his seems to be directly intertwined with and causing hers. Plus he’s the guy alone on the center of the title screen facing the opposite direction of everyone else, and he’s where the menu option starts when you first open the remembrance menu in the game, so I think I’ll hop into his story first, he seems pretty important. In the tier below those three, I’m interested in Shu’s story not because it itself did anything impressive (other than him and Yuki being cute together) but because he seems like a pretty mysterious but likable character, I want to know more about him. Takatoshi is literally a time traveler, and his WWII perspective seemed pretty cool, it’s not much more complicated than that, I just find that stuff interesting. Natsuno begins hers by traveling in time too, and the little blurb says she goes on a “journey of transcending space and time”, so I’m curious to see where that goes, although I don’t really know where they can take the plot with her in a ruined future that seems to have… nothing, other than the big robots. Plus I love the fact that the only reason she got involved in the plot is because she’s a massive nerd who desperately wanted to be in E.T. And then, in the lowest tier is Iori, just because nothing really happened in her prologue. It seemed to place more emphasis on the weird dreams, which other characters already had, than any other, so I guess she’ll be pursuing that mystery while everyone else is off doing their thing and all the dream lore will be put into it somehow. But she makes up for nothing happening in her prologue by being super cute.

I think I’ll stop for now, but I’m definitely interested in playing more of this.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

I lost against the final boss and...

Unbenannt.PNG

bad end? 

I see what you meant by turning to sludge earlier, what a gooreat way to go out! You're bringing a certain old song lyric "I'll stop the world and melt with you" to mind.

41 minutes ago, Sooks said:
Spoiler

So I can now alternate between combat and the characters’ storylines, but what’s the point of combat in the progression of the story? If I understand correctly, I have to play up to a certain part in the combat to continue Shu’s story, so will progression in that part of the game just be a requirement for characters’ stories at various points?

Spoiler

To anwser the second question, yes.

As for the first question, the combat progresses the story in it's own way. Here's a hint of what i mean: Go into the event log and take note of when the first cutscene (as in the first cutscene you see when you start the game) takes place.

Back when i gave my review of the game, i said that 13 Sentinels is a prime example of doing In Medias Res right. 

Spoiler

The little tutorial menu says something about character’s stories once the game opens up, so to speak, says something about their stories branching out and seeing every path, which reminded me that this is technically a visual novel. But that doesn’t make any sense considering the whole times wimey “what’s the chronological order” theme the game is going for. So will I be making choices? And are they major choices orrr?

Spoiler

It makes more sense when you actually do it but basically, there are no alternative storylines if that's what you're thinking. I don't know how to describe it exactly but the different paths add more of the story. You will see everything normally.

On that note, don't worry about trying to get all the true end flags or whatever like you were with Steins Gate. Because there are none, there is only one ending in this game. Just figured i'd let you know that.

I think I’ll stop for now, but I’m definitely interested in playing more of this.

Enjoy kino.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

To anwser the second question, yes.

As for the first question, the combat progresses the story in it's own way. Here's a hint of what i mean: Go into the event log and take note of when the first cutscene (as in the first cutscene you see when you start the game) takes place.

Back when i gave my review of the game, i said that 13 Sentinels is a prime example of doing In Medias Res right.

Ohhhh, right. Looking at it like this, with the primary focus being on all the different stories, the combat feels kind of tacked on, but we’ll see.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

It makes more sense when you actually do it but basically, there are no alternative storylines if that's what you're thinking. I don't know how to describe it exactly but the different paths add more of the story. You will see everything normally.

On that note, don't worry about trying to get all the true end flags or whatever like you were with Steins Gate. Because there are none, there is only one ending in this game. Just figured i'd let you know that.

The Sooks% doesn’t care what seeing everything does or doesn’t unlock.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

the combat feels kind of tacked on

The combat itself is admittedly the weakest part of the game. That being said, it's not bad and Intense difficulty can fuck you up if you aren't paying attention (i got a few game overs myself).

Obviously the story bits that happen during the combat matters but that goes without saying.

Honestly my bigger issue with the combat is that the presentation is kinda lame.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The Sooks% doesn’t care what seeing everything does or doesn’t unlock.

You will get Sooks% anyways.

Well, you don't actually have to 100% the mystery files but both the game and story part will be 100% when you finish.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly my bigger issue with the combat is that the presentation is kinda lame.

I think it works well enough, but I understand how painful it must be if you’re a fan of watching kaiju destroy each other and have to imagine it instead 😛

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think it works well enough, but I understand how painful it must be if you’re a fan of watching kaiju destroy each other and have to imagine it instead 😛

I mainly just wish that the sprites were more detailed and they weren't just Galaga sprites. For the enemies, it makes sense why they're so simple but i wish the sprites for the player units had more to them. It's like the one part of the game where Vanillaware's gorgeous art is nowhere in sight.

Of course, maybe the reason they aren't is because of the processing load. Even on my PS4 Pro, some of the later battles would cause framedrops. 

Just now, Sooks said:

I’ve seen a bit about those in game but what are they?

Oh that's basically the encyclopedia. It adds further lore to the game although it's not neccessary to complete it. Also useful for catching up on stuff you might've missed or forgotten. Although at least one of the characters does require you to get a certain amount of the files unlocked (not much tho). You can do this by spending points or getting the S-ranks and fulfilling the bonus conditions in the battles.

Ya know, if it wasn't an Eroge (because even without H-scenes the game gets sketchy and/or too dark at times), i could imagine myself rec'ing Baldr Sky to some peeps here, especially since it's sci-fi and all, which seems like something many of us here like.

Alas with some written stuff and not filtering stuff (for example busting a prostitution ring it gets pretty detailed), it can be hard for many here to stomache

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Even on my PS4 Pro, some of the later battles would cause framedrops

Switch port:

dd0.png

Edited by Shrimpresident

33 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Ya know, if it wasn't an Eroge (because even without H-scenes the game gets sketchy and/or too dark at times), i could imagine myself rec'ing Baldr Sky to some peeps here, especially since it's sci-fi and all, which seems like something many of us here like.

Alas with some written stuff and not filtering stuff (for example busting a prostitution ring it gets pretty detailed), it can be hard for many here to stomache

You know, I've been intrigued about it. It's artstyle is... peculiar, but not necessarily in a bad way. I think its rough edges have their charm somehow and if you ignore the eroge setups, it seems to have a narrative with some pretty interesting choices. I don't know exactly how the prostitution ring busting is done altogether for example, but as long as it's not only played to showcase horniness, I think it can be a very interesting arc that I haven't seen tackled much. I'm not into mecha at all though, so I imagine those parts would feel quite weaker to me. And well, the eroge setups and aftermaths seemed rather heavy-handed. It seems like one of those games I'd have a morbid curiosity over and end up playing after a long while for better or worse.

3 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Hmm... if it's a pokémon that suits me, maybe Girafarig. I'm pretty much known as the giraffe guy with my friends and family, so I'd say it's the most fitting. Maybe Teddiursa too, cause in the anime, he's a little shit that gets away with everything. I'm also known to shed hair a lot so a bear seems rather fitting. Other than that, Ditto does work, cause he can be Girafarig, Teddiursa and any other pokémon that could potentially suit me. 

Loreneus Normal trainer confirmed, if we're talking anime Jigglypuff might as well too

4 hours ago, Lorneus said:

but as long as it's not only played to showcase horniness

I was more creeped out than anything. They presented it in a reslly creepy way.

It's just one example tho.

And well, the eroge setups and aftermaths seemed rather heavy-handed

Yeah lol. Sometimes they have it at the most random of places

handed. It seems like one of those games I'd have a morbid curiosity over

Well, i will post my full thoughts when i ginish it. Maybe you can decide then^^