• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 Sentinels

Spoiler

Starting hat guy’s story, one of the people in 1944’s name is Kurabe, which would imply she’s 20whatever’s Kurabe’s great great grandma or something like that.

But then, he was born with the name Izumi, so what exactly is the connection? If she changed it through marriage (assuming that’s how it works in Japan, idrk), why would they give him that name when he gets a new identity? Wouldn’t that drastically increase the odds of him finding out about his old self for… literally no reason?

“I promise… I’ll be back.”

Whatever happens, he’s not making it back.

Edited by Sooks

Well, things sure went from 0 to 100 fast.

This is why I’m enjoying this game so much already, it takes no time at all for everything to get going.

Spoiler

Meanwhile, Hat guy’s younger sister is apparently called Chihiro. Chihiro is also the first name of Morimura, which is the name Iori goes by in the future and in her own past that she somehow forgot about (I believe Amiguchi calls her that when he goes to get her from 2089). She also has that same, signature hair color. So that would make hat guy Iori’s older brother.

Edited by Sooks

So i was playing Superstars with friends and

FJmMxgZUcAU20_4?format=jpg&name=large

True fear.

For the record, this was the first time i had any sort of connection issues with this game.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Legit a great beat 'em up hiding there, from what I can see in the trailer.

And if you can get together with friends *chef's kiss*.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Flying right past the plot section of the Wikipedia page in the chance I actually play the game someday, the development section does say the game (with citations) began with 7 or 8 characters. But, despite the increased workload it would bring, Kamitani decided fairly early in development back in 2013 to make it 13 protagonists for unstated reasons.

I did read something like that yeah. That was back when the game was originally planned for the Vita.

Perhaps with the switch to the PS4, they decided to add in more protagonists.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you reading this article by any chance?

Nope. I just saw it on Discord.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

yU8l0bu.jpg

With how much you'll likely be using this image during your playthrough, you should probably make it your pfp haha.

3 hours ago, Shrimpresident said:

H5nCtms.png

r/nocontext

p58BqdT.png

sumDsiX.png

oh my~

Interesting games you play.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

You know a game is good when you get to the first big gameplay part and you go “why are deployment limits a thing, I want to use all of these characters!”.

Haha i getcha.

But limiting deployments in certain ways via the bonus conditions was fun to do.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well, that’s my first time playing 13 Sentinels’ combat outside of the super easy prologue missions. Intense definitely ramps up the difficulty, I tried the tried and true “press attack until ded” method from the prologue, and was completely destroyed. Like, 3 times. It was pretty easy once I bothered to read what everything actually did, but I actually had to read, which is more than the prologue can say.

I had fun though.

Yeah it's not the deepest or hardest SRPG out there but Intense actually does make you think, as i've said before.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Why are some of power values for attacks written as standard numbers and others are multiplication expressions? (And not easy stuff; I mean here we have 115 x 12.) That seems so pointless that I feel like I have to be missing something here.

I believe it's how much hits. Like it does 115 damage and it hits 12 times so multiply that.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

“Please hit”

Never have I heard such a relatable battle quote to the player in a video game before. Yes Iori, please hit indeed.

Iori is very good.

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This is why I’m enjoying this game so much already, it takes no time at all for everything to get going.

So it's a game @Saint Rubenio will enjoy.

Oh look at that, more “I swear I saw this character at this location on this day” and that character has zero memory of it. Definitely time travel. I played S;G game, you can’t fool me.

Spoiler

But this implies Natsuno let Tomi in on her time traveling at some point hmm…

I need to check the event archive when I finish this chapter.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes, I believe so. Even if the absolute worst of all anime funny moments were to ever take place, this game gives you the ability to say you’re done with the main story and go beat up robots for five hours before you feel up for it again.

Also, Yuki is his type.

I want to Yakuzapost, but I think I've done too much of that lately.

Darn...

Edited by Benice

Also, I underestimated the sheer size of this game’s narrative. I’m not sure I’m gonna stick with the “progress everyone’s story at the same time” option because I just keep unlocking new protagonists, I’d never actually progress with anyone’s story. Maybe I just need to pick a couple and stick with them.

Edited by Sooks

36 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Also, I underestimated the sheer size of this game’s narrative. I’m not sure I’m gonna stick with the “progress everyone’s story at the same time” option because I just keep unlocking new protagonists, I’d never actually progress with anyone’s story. Maybe I just need to pick a couple and stick with them.

You'll be seeing all of it eventually anyways. So just do what you wanna do. Experience the story your own way.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You'll be seeing all of it eventually anyways. So just do what you wanna do. Experience the story your own way.

Yeah, I just need to figure out what the heck my own way actually is. Because right now I have no clue.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

^Me IRL

Bwahahaha… oh, Benice.

It’s okay though, we’re not really supposed to have that figured out yet. It would be nice but there’s no rush.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Bwahahaha… oh, Benice.

It’s okay though, we’re not really supposed to have that figured out yet. It would be nice but there’s no rush.

Indeed.

Still sucks not to know, though. As much as I do it, I don't think spreading Yakuza Propaganda is my true calling in life.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well, things sure went from 0 to 100 fast.

This is why I’m enjoying this game so much already, it takes no time at all for everything to get going

👀

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

And if you can get together with friends *chef's kiss*.

I cannot wait for April.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ehhh I'd maintain a healthy amount of skepticism. After all, you like the game, and it's a proven fact that when it comes to strategy games (as I recall 13 Sentinels being) we have completely opposite tastes. What I find engaging, you find tedious, and viceversa.

So tell me more about the gameplay. Any interesting mechanics, any innovative systems, or is it just simple and straightforward the whole way through? Or is that a spoiler too?

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yes, I believe so. Even if the absolute worst of all anime funny moments were to ever take place, this game gives you the ability to say you’re done with the main story and go beat up robots for five hours before you feel up for it again.

It sounds better and better by the minute.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Also, Yuki is his type.

What!?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So tell me more about the gameplay. Any interesting mechanics, any innovative systems, or is it just simple and straightforward the whole way through?

As far as SRPGs go, it's not really like the kind either of us usually plays. I mean it ain't even grid-based and the best way i can describe it is it's an SRPG with some tower defense elements. Victory conditions are defending the base until the timer runs out or wiping out all enemies on the map, you win by achieving one of those, though the latter rewards you with better rank, as clearing the map in a certain amount of time is often a bonus condition. Boss levels also have you take out the boss(es) of course. Loss conditions are your base is destroyed or a pilot who's been ejected (pilots get ejected if their Sentinel HP drops to zero but you can willingly do this as a gamble to fully restore) gets killed. You have four types of Sentinels at your command

• 1st-Gen Sentinels are your close-combat heavy hitters and strong defenders.
  • 2nd-Gen Sentinels are your balanced types and carry automated turrets that you can set down anywhere within your range.
  • 3rd-Gen Sentinels specialize in the long-range and anti-air.
  • 4th-Gen Sentinels specialize support and are also capable of flight, which means they can avoid the line-based movement that all the ground units have to follow.

You can have a max of six units on the field at any time, the rest stay behind to protect the base (i think the more units are protecting the base, the more hits it can take). Bonus victory conditions will challenge you to use certain Sentinel types, certain character or straight-up limit your deployment numbers, in addition to the aforementioned "clear in a certain amount of time" challenge. There's also Thracia fatigue Brain Overload, a unit who's on the field for too many maps will not be able to participate in the next one. You can reset this before every battle but doing so also resets your score multiplier, meaning you'll be getting less rewards. So seeing how far you can get without resetting is part of the fun.

The base has it's own set of abilities that you can use a certain amount of types. The first one you get is an EMP, which halts all enemy movement and drops flying enemies to the ground, for example.

Also as i've said before, Intense difficulty is the only difficulty that actually makes you think. You might find it kinda easy in the long-run but you won't just be breezing through it either.

3736357-13sentinels_aegisrim_20200914183

This is what it looks like although obviously it looks better in motion. Tbh this is the best image i could find and this is at the start of a battle.

...actually i have a clip from my Twitter. Yeah it might get a bit overwhelming haha. I actually lost that battle where the clip is from.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What!?

Yuki Takamiya 

latest.png?width=184&height=432

Modestly dressed and will beat you up. So yeah, definitely your type.

Went all out on the editing for this one. I've wanted to do a video like this for her since before she promoted lol.

If you're wondering about Ursula, I switched to an unmodded ROM for this. I didn't want to have to explain the mod to any other viewers. And the deadlords that replace the morphs in the mod are way weaker than their counterparts, anyway.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As far as SRPGs go, it's not really like the kind either of us usually plays. I mean it ain't even grid-based and the best way i can describe it is it's an SRPG with some tower defense elements. Victory conditions are defending the base until the timer runs out or wiping out all enemies on the map, you win by achieving one of those, though the latter rewards you with better rank, as clearing the map in a certain amount of time is often a bonus condition. Boss levels also have you take out the boss(es) of course. Loss conditions are your base is destroyed or a pilot who's been ejected (pilots get ejected if their Sentinel HP drops to zero but you can willingly do this as a gamble to fully restore) gets killed. You have four types of Sentinels at your command

• 1st-Gen Sentinels are your close-combat heavy hitters and strong defenders.
  • 2nd-Gen Sentinels are your balanced types and carry automated turrets that you can set down anywhere within your range.
  • 3rd-Gen Sentinels specialize in the long-range and anti-air.
  • 4th-Gen Sentinels specialize support and are also capable of flight, which means they can avoid the line-based movement that all the ground units have to follow.

You can have a max of six units on the field at any time, the rest stay behind to protect the base (i think the more units are protecting the base, the more hits it can take). Bonus victory conditions will challenge you to use certain Sentinel types, certain character or straight-up limit your deployment numbers, in addition to the aforementioned "clear in a certain amount of time" challenge. There's also Thracia fatigue Brain Overload, a unit who's on the field for too many maps will not be able to participate in the next one. You can reset this before every battle but doing so also resets your score multiplier, meaning you'll be getting less rewards. So seeing how far you can get without resetting is part of the fun.

The base has it's own set of abilities that you can use a certain amount of types. The first one you get is an EMP, which halts all enemy movement and drops flying enemies to the ground, for example.

Duly noted.

Also a Thracia mechanic? Tsk, tsk. How the turntables.

Also as i've said before, Intense difficulty is the only difficulty that actually makes you think. You might find it kinda easy in the long-run but you won't just be breezing through it either.

Hmm... Well, ultra difficulty isn't a strict requirement. To be honest, Vandal Hearts 2 isn't that hard, but the combat system keeps me on my toes and makes battles consistently fun. It doesn't need to be ultra difficult, just not brainless.

3736357-13sentinels_aegisrim_20200914183

This is what it looks like although obviously it looks better in motion. Tbh this is the best image i could find and this is at the start of a battle.

Yeah, I can't say I'm getting much from this.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

...actually i have a clip from my Twitter. Yeah it might get a bit overwhelming haha. I actually lost that battle where the clip is from.

Haha u bad

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yuki Takamiya 

latest.png?width=184&height=432

Modestly dressed and will beat you up. So yeah, definitely your type.

We'll see.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Went all out on the editing for this one. I've wanted to do a video like this for her since before she promoted lol.

If you're wondering about Ursula, I switched to an unmodded ROM for this. I didn't want to have to explain the mod to any other viewers. And the deadlords that replace the morphs in the mod are way weaker than their counterparts, anyway.

1:04 he looks so proud. And Nergal jinxing his doom.

And can I say I'd totally see Serra doing Sweetheart's laugh? This song is too fitting for this video XD

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Ryza 2 really cleaned up the interface overall. I dunno if it's just me, but the Alchemy tutorial made alot more sense this time (As in: it was easier to understand)

The interface is cleaned up a bit yeah but the alchemy is mostly the same as the first game. Though they add in a few new things.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also a Thracia mechanic? Tsk, tsk. How the turntables.

The Thracia mechanic but implemented properly lol gottem.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha u bad

I lost right at the end too, i was so pissed lmao.