• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ehhh I'd maintain a healthy amount of skepticism. After all, you like the game, and it's a proven fact that when it comes to strategy games (as I recall 13 Sentinels being) we have completely opposite tastes. What I find engaging, you find tedious, and viceversa.

So tell me more about the gameplay. Any interesting mechanics, any innovative systems, or is it just simple and straightforward the whole way through? Or is that a spoiler too?

I understand Armagon has vouched for the gameplay. Never fear! I can confirm, it’s pretty good. It’s not a typical SRPG because it uses real time strategy (I think that’s what it’s called). The prologue missions force you to be on a pretty brainless difficultly but after that you can bump it up to intense, which provides a genuine challenge. Every mission (so far) your goal is to defend the point for whatever amount of time or defeat the entire enemy, who are trying to destroy the thing you’re defending. You can deploy any six of the thirteen sentinels who all of have different abilities across the four generations, which are effectively classes (melee, all around, long range and support). The game goes for the tries and true “the enemies are way weaker than you, but there are way, way more of them” and actual pulls it off (on intense difficulty), all of them will be spawned in at various locations by big tanky robots and make a beeline for the defend point and any characters who are in the way, so you have to balance between stopping their assault, killing the big guy and also not dying. Now you don’t enter single combat with all of the little guys, that would take forever, literally every character’s abilities (so far) are field based and target a certain area, although some are bigger than others.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It sounds better and better by the minute.

The story is very interesting. As you know, there are 13 protags, each of whom have their own storylines and you can go through all of them in any order, or spend all your time hopping around between them like me. The entire thing is one big mystery, since there are a lot of flashbacks and no one’s stories really take place at the same time, chronologically, and you have to piece together everything that’s going on (for example, according to the in game chronology chart one of the character’s stories begins near the end of all his events no memories, but he spends most of everyone else’s stories running around acting incredibly sus, memories intact).

What!?

Every time she appears you will be going “please step on me”.

As far as the animeness of this game goes… I think you already know this, but everyone is butt naked in their sentinel for zero reason. Other than that… that’s really it as far as potential “funny moments”, there actually haven’t been any yet. Every protagonist is a high schooler and therefore a teenager, but I think you’ll live if you play this game.

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

1:04 he looks so proud.

Darin be like "I'm darin you to defeat me."

And Nergal jinxing his doom.

Nergal made a correct observation. It was the most intelligent thing he did in his entire life.

And can I say I'd totally see Serra doing Sweetheart's laugh? This song is too fitting for this video XD

I've been thinking that the entire playthrough.

Just now, Sooks said:

I understand Armagon has vouched for the gameplay. Never fear! I can confirm, it’s pretty good. It’s not a typical SRPG because it uses real time strategy (I think that’s what it’s called). The prologue missions force you to be on a pretty brainless difficultly but after that you can bump it up to intense, which provides a genuine challenge. Every mission (so far) your goal is to defend the point for whatever amount of time or defeat the entire enemy, who are trying to destroy the thing you’re defending. You can deploy any six of the thirteen sentinels who all of have different abilities across the four generations, which are effectively classes (melee, all around, long range and support). The game goes for the tries and true “the enemies are way weaker than you, but there are way, way more of them” and actual pulls it off (on intense difficulty), all of them will be spawned in at various locations by big tanky robots and make a beeline for the defend point and any characters who are in the way, so you have to balance between stopping their assault, killing the big guy and also not dying. Now you don’t enter single combat with all of the little guys, that would take forever, literally every character’s abilities (so far) are field based and target a certain area, although some are bigger than others.

Okay, fine. Now I just have to wait for it to come out on a platform I own, at a reasonable price.

PC release too much to ask? Switch would do, I guess. It's been gathering dust for like a year now, might be nice to put it to use again. But I really would rather have it on PC.

Just now, Sooks said:

The story is very interesting. As you know, there are 13 protags, each of whom have their own storylines and you can go through all of them in any order, or spend all your time hopping around between them like me. The entire thing is one big mystery, since there are a lot of flashbacks and no one’s stories really take place at the same time, chronologically, and you have to piece together everything that’s going on (for example, according to the in game chronology chart one of the character’s stories begins near the end of all his events no memories, but he spends most of everyone else’s stories running around acting incredibly sus, memories intact).

Sounds interesting, certainly. This description reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami 2, a game I quite love, so that's a good sign.

Just now, Sooks said:

Every time she appears you will be going “please step on me”.

Hah. Well, we'll see. School outfits are already not my type.

Just now, Sooks said:

As far as the animeness of this game goes… I think you already know this, but everyone is butt naked in their sentinel for zero reason. Other than that… that’s really it as far as potential “funny moments”, there actually haven’t been any yet. Every protagonist is a high schooler and therefore a teenager, but I think you’ll live if you play this game.

High schooler protagonists is the most generic thing imaginable. It speaks poorly of the game's creativity.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Thracia mechanic but implemented properly lol gottem.

How dare you defy me.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I lost right at the end too, i was so pissed lmao.

Armagon, more like Armagone. Haha gottem

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sounds interesting, certainly. This description reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami 2, a game I quite love, so that's a good sign.

Will confirm if the story ends up being good when it’s pieced together. But at least piecing it together is fun, at least if you go “my way” or whatever because you can literally do it in any order you want. But according to Armagon the order actually doesn’t make much of a difference.

Hah. Well, we'll see. School outfits are already not my type.

Oh I’m not talking about her design, I’m talking about her willingness to beat up anything and everything instead of having to deal with the plot.

High schooler protagonists is the most generic thing imaginable. It speaks poorly of the game's creativity.

See the problem is that you’re assuming they’re all just your typical highschoolers.

Hahaha, this might be the best time to mention that the twists in this game are pretty cool. And it gets really twisty very quickly. Like, first two hours quickly.

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

👀

Twilit, I actually believe this girl will be your favorite. At least, design wise.

eOiEwVr.jpg
And you would be severely based if that were the case.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Will confirm if the story ends up being good when it’s pieced together. But at least piecing it together is fun, at least if you go “my way” or whatever because you can literally do it in any order you want. But according to Armagon the order actually doesn’t make much of a difference.

Right.

Oh I’m not talking about her design, I’m talking about her willingness to beat up anything and everything instead of having to deal with the plot.

Yes, well, I am a fickle man, so don't expect anything.

See the problem is that you’re assuming they’re all just your typical highschoolers.

Hahaha, this might be the best time to mention that the twists in this game are pretty cool. And it gets really twisty very quickly. Like, first two hours quickly.

The last time I was told about good twists, I predicted 90% of them.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The last time I was told about good twists, I predicted 90% of them.

What, Steins;Gate?

Well, there are two kinds of twists. The kind the story very much sets up in advance and directly points at pretty much telling you it will attempt a plot twist here (ex. “Who killed this guy?” “What’s the identity of the villain under the mask?”), and the kind that are twists that are just things that unexpectedly happen or completely unexpected information. What I’m talking about are in the latter category, at least in the prologue. Because keep in mind, depending on the order you do things in, what counts as a “twist” varies significantly. At least, I’m assuming that’s the case.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What, Steins;Gate?

Well, there are two kinds of twists. The kind the story very much sets up in advance and directly points at pretty much telling you it will attempt a plot twist here (ex. “Who killed this guy?” “What’s the identity of the villain under the mask?”), and the kind that are twists that are just things that unexpectedly happen or completely unexpected information. What I’m talking about are in the latter category, at least in the prologue. Because keep in mind, depending on the order you do things in, what counts as a “twist” varies significantly. At least, I’m assuming that’s the case.

Well, that's neat.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, I just need to figure out what the heck my own way actually is. Because right now I have no clue.

9 hours ago, Benice said:

^Me IRL

Screen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-02-09-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-02-52-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-03-10-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-04-22-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-06-30-AM.pnScreen-Shot-2022-01-21-at-10-09-31-AM.pn

At least you two are still his age. And aren't about to be confronted with the apocalypse.

50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Twilit, I actually believe this girl will be your favorite. At least, design wise.

eOiEwVr.jpg
And you would be severely based if that were the case.

She vaguely reminds me of another character I've seen before, but I can't place it.

It's a nice design, yeah. I feel like the design could be better if she had short hair.

---------

Because of snow, I don’t have to take a semester exam! 🥳

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I feel like the design could be better if she had short hair.

But everyone knows long hair better!

Just now, Sooks said:

Because of snow, I don’t have to take a semester exam! 🥳

V92igBj.jpg

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I think you already know this, but everyone is butt naked in their sentinel for zero reason

WOT

You should play Like a Dragon, where most of the playables are middle-aged men, and there's also an old guy.

'Morning!

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But everyone knows long hair better!

Verifiably false.

TXEgjh7.png

Best girl has short hair.

7 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

You know, upon further inspection...

I really don't like that lump on the blue one's pelvis. It's looks horribly wrong to me.

Darin be like "I'm darin you to defeat me."

Nergal made a correct observation. It was the most intelligent thing he did in his entire life.

Bahahaha

I've been thinking that the entire playthrough.

Can you imagine a tea-party with Serra, Sweetheart and L'arachel? That would be pure madness.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Verifiably false.

TXEgjh7.png

Best girl has short hair.

But what about when she gets long hair?

Is she no longer best girl at that moment?

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Which became long in CS.

Josette is best girl, meaning that moderate length hair may also function for other candidates.

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Not that I'm complaining. It's a great design.

Based.

11 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

But what about when she gets long hair?

Is she no longer best girl at that moment?

The official Best Girl rules are:

Josette

That is the only rule.

However, since OG Josette has short hair, this means that short hair cannot be worse than long hair.

12 minutes ago, Benice said:

WOT

There might be a reason for it somewhere in the plot I've heard secondhand. Surprisingly, one fairly juvenile website forum made no giggles on the all-natural cockpits point. People are able to look past it and take things seriously, I'm amazed.

From what I've seen a tiny handful of screenshots though, all you ever normally see is a small square portrait of a person's head, neck, maybe a little upper back or no-breasts chest.

I also tried looking for full body official artwork, all I found was one girl they were offering as a wallpaper. Seems like Vanillaware didn't bother drawing everyone mid-combat. Darned.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

h4E9RDk.png

if i say so myself, yes

Those are all Steam categorizations of the VN? No "Smut" tag?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Those are all Steam categorizations of the VN? No "Smut" tag?

not steam, vndb

Steam version has no sex scenes so no smut/ero tag anyway

Edited by Shrimpresident

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There might be a reason for it somewhere in the plot I've heard secondhand

Seems like an unecessary detail, though.