Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Welp, time to take a shot, everyone!

I’m already way ahead of you my friend, it’s my tenth of the day.

The pokemans? I remember getting Red version when I was six or seven.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I've reached that part of SoHaE that just about every single FE suffers from. The lategame part where the team is set, levels don't matter as much anymore, supports are done, and all that's left in the game is pretty much just "kill enemies until the game is over." Which means I'm starting to get a bit bored. I do like SoHaE's lategame, but in my FE replays I always get tired when there's only a few chapters left.

I considered for a moment starting a new ROMhack, but then I remembered another game that intrigued me. Anyone here played Rondo of Swords? I believe it was mentioned a while back. I read like three or four parts of a LP in LParchive, but I never did look too much into it. The battle system interested me, though. You hurt units by moving through them, that's super unique.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyone here played Rondo of Swords? I believe it was mentioned a while back. I read like three or four parts of a LP in LParchive, but I never did look too much into it. The battle system interested me, though. You hurt units by moving through them, that's super unique.

My backlog is too big so I haven't the faintest where it'll end up, though I intend to place it somewhere in there. Be my guinea pig if you wish, but don't force yourself. 

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've reached that part of SoHaE that just about every single FE suffers from. The lategame part where the team is set, levels don't matter as much anymore, supports are done, and all that's left in the game is pretty much just "kill enemies until the game is over."

There is a certain enjoyment in building up your team, more than actually using it once it has ripened into an army of murder machines. It's similar to the Civilization franchise, wherein pretty much everyone in the universe and the neighboring 3.8*10^27 dimensions from developer to player agrees the early and mid games are the most fun portion, while the second half or lategame is a boring slog. The 4X genre consistently struggles to keep things interesting once you're well-established and doing well I read.

Although some FEs I find leave me wanting for more unit availability. SoV for instance, Conrad seems like a good unit, but what is there to have him fight? Almost nothing by the time he joins. Or TearRing Saga, what's the point to training a bunch of people with Holmes, when his 2nd portion has no challenge, his 3rd gets warpskipped, and Runan requires only a handful of units and TRS dumps awesome people like Raphael and Yoda on you? Sure a few trainees help, but no matter what, a few individuals like Lina and Sharon never get a real chance to shine, raising them feels empty as result since I have nothing to truly use them against. Oh, and Radiant Dawn, which makes for three games that just so happen to have "cooperative same-time/alternating" route splits, and make me frustratingly wish I had a few more evil emperors and associated cultists conscripting the wholly innocent peasantry so I can challengingly skewer them. 

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My backlog is too big so I haven't the faintest where it'll end up, though I intend to place it somewhere in there. Be my guinea pig if you wish, but don't force yourself. 

Well, the game interests me. If I do end up playing it, I'll be sure to share my impressions and conceal any spoilers.

There is a certain enjoyment in building up your team, more than actually using it once it has ripened into an army of murder machines. It's similar to the Civilization franchise, wherein pretty much everyone in the universe and the neighboring 3.8*10^27 dimensions from developer to player agrees the early and mid games are the most fun portion, while the second half or lategame is a boring slog. The 4X genre consistently struggles to keep things interesting once you're well-established and doing well I read.

Yes, that's a bit how I feel about FE. Though I do tend to enjoy FE lategames the first time, most FEs struggle to keep things interesting, and it becomes quite noticeable in replays.

Even Berwick Saga loses a little bit of steam later on... tho not nearly as much as FE and it takes a lot longer for me to start feeling it, in my humble subjective opinion. I may've sighed slightly at chapter 13 in my fourth or fifth runs, but I've yet to quit a replay of Berwick near the end like I've done with... Heck, I think every FE at this point. Helps that Berwick has an excellent final map that is lengthy, challenging and unique, so I always look forward to it. FE tends to have very eehhh final maps.

Although some FEs I find leave me wanting for more unit availability. SoV for instance, Conrad seems like a good unit, but what is there to have him fight? Almost nothing by the time he joins. Or TearRing Saga, what's the point to training a bunch of people with Holmes, when his 2nd portion has no challenge, his 3rd gets warpskipped, and Runan requires only a handful of units and TRS dumps awesome people like Raphael and Yoda on you? Sure a few trainees help, but no matter what, a few individuals like Lina and Sharon never get a real chance to shine, raising them feels empty as result since I have nothing to truly use them against. Oh, and Radiant Dawn, which makes for three games that just so happen to have "cooperative same-time/alternating" route splits, and make me frustratingly wish I had a few more evil emperors and associated cultists conscripting the wholly innocent peasantry so I can challengingly skewer them. 

Fair points, these.

...Well, except for Conrad. Conrad can be whatever unit he likes, I would still rather he had roasted like a porkchop in that mansion. He singlehandedly hogs like 70% of everything wrong with SoV's story, it's rather impressive.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

to balance my irl sadism

No…no don’t say that Shrimp-Kun! I don’t even know what the hell an irl is and even from here I can taste its evil! Read some Harlan Ellison or Michael Moorcock man, but don’t subjugation yourself to tripe JRPG drivel!!!

5 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

what the hell an irl is and even from here I can taste its evil

The most evil of things

5 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

don’t subjugation yourself to tripe JRPG drivel!!!

pfffffffffffffffffft

Irl isn't a JRPG, it's a very realistic worldly RPG

Edited by Shrimpresident

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He singlehandedly hogs like 70% of everything wrong with SoV's story, it's rather impressive.

Jeez, 70%? I think that's giving him more credit than earned even among only the new stuff in SoV.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, that's a bit how I feel about FE. Though I do tend to enjoy FE lategames the first time, most FEs struggle to keep things interesting, and it becomes quite noticeable in replays.

Hmmm, I wonder how I feel about this topic.

I mean, getting to the end of something doesn't tend to bother me that much, but I could be just too accepting. That being said, I can be absolutely done with specific chapters, but that's not the same topic.

51 minutes ago, fates is based said:

@Benice So Sekiro came in the mail a bit early and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm going to quit my ds2 playthrough the game is kind of cringe.

Aye, I also really dislike DS2. Still, I think it's a really interesting game, if not rather tragic from how rushed the game was.

How far did you get? Ruin Sentinels?

Regardless, hope you enjoy Sekiro.

1 hour ago, WraithReborn said:

I’m already way ahead of you my friend, it’s my tenth of the day.

Well, I'm up to two now, so...

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Aye, I also really dislike DS2. Still, I think it's a really interesting game, if not rather tragic from how rushed the game was.

How far did you get? Ruin Sentinels?

Regardless, hope you enjoy Sekiro.

I was exploring the area with the knights that sit down and don't attack unless you aggro them, I reached a certain point where there were three giant green soldiers guarding an entrance to the left, right and one of them was in the center. So I tried luring the one in  the center away from the area to focus on one of them at a time, I manage to kill him. However, even though I didn't aggro the other two green giants, both of them were approaching me. I run past them and I see the knights who aren't hostile were standing up and patrolling the area, I suddenly remembered I killed the old dragonrider which makes the knights hostile for some reason. So I decide to run past everything to get to the red dragon guarding a lever, I believe? I look behind me and see three knights and the giants chase me this far, and the dragon starts breathing fire. Why are the aggro ranges so long in this game, and I don't even think I was supposed to be in this are yet. Anyway, I had enough of ds2 at this point, maybe someday when I'm bored I'll try it again, but I'm enjoying Sekiro much more at the moment. 

17 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Wait what!?! You’re not old enough to drink!

It's the Teehee drinking game! I have to participate!

Plus, I'm only drinking water...

2 minutes ago, fates is based said:

Why are the aggro ranges so long in this game, and I don't even think I was supposed to be in this are yet.

Ah. Had you killed the Old Dragonslayer, or just Dragonrider? Either way, yeah, the sleepy lads are really annoying.

As for difficulty, I think I would generally advise doing Heide's Tower + Dragonslayer->No Man's Wharf +Flexile Sentry and bell until you get to Undead Bastion or whatever that one's called, then going back and doing Forest of Fallen Giants. Forest is the intended first area of the game, I think, but it's way harder than Heide's. The boss is farther away so make fewer Souls, so even doing Heide's->Forest would make a big difference. About 11-13 levels is a fair bit.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Jeez, 70%? I think that's giving him more credit than earned even among only the new stuff in SoV.

I dunno, man. Every single dumb moment in Celica's route except for the Jedah bargain exists because Conrad needs to save Celica a hundred times to appear he has a purpose in the story. That's a pretty large portion of SoV's story flaws, right there, and they exist because he exists.

Fuck Conrad.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I dunno, man. Every single dumb moment in Celica's route except for the Jedah bargain exists because Conrad needs to save Celica a hundred times to appear he has a purpose in the story. That's a pretty large portion of SoV's story flaws, right there, and they exist because he exists.

Fuck Conrad.

He doesn't exist on Alm's route, so that immediately impacts on the total. The first time is forced, but he barely fucking helps on that map frankly, the second time was totally dumb in terms of his presence and him specifically saving Celica is super forced there but the fissure already existed as a forced device to keep the route split so it's just people finding ways to add contrivances, the third...... Just, what was the need, he could have revealled himself afterwards, no saving needed. After that, he is a dumdum about the Lost Woods and worries about Celica being about to run off and make that choice.

>Conrad needlessly saves Celica three times and also has the diadem for some reason when that was already on the nun in Gaiden.

Still pretty bad though.

I mean, I'd argue Greith just figuring out Celica's Anthiese out of a stretch, Desaix's own events around figuring out Alm's possible origins and then doing nothing with that information, or even things relating to Berkut and Fernand alongide others I could mention are enough that Conrad wouldn't be 70% of SoV's issues among new stuff, never mind combined with Gaiden's.

37 minutes ago, Dayni said:

the second time was totally dumb in terms of his presence and him specifically saving Celica is super forced there but the fissure already existed as a forced device to keep the route split so it's just people finding ways to add contrivances

The rockslide one I'd consider specially egregious.

In the original Gaiden it was just a natural occurrence, and Celica was way out of the zone of danger. In SoV, they changed it so the rockslide was a deliberate Duma Faithful attack against her, and then have Conrad come to her rescue.