Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Man, the possibilities. To take this awesome, unique, highly experimental game, iron out the issues it had and give the good a fresh new coat of paint.

Not today, Hercules. Not today.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Considering that in a Warriors game there needs to actually be stuff on screen, I wonder if that means that the game will run even worse then Three Houses.

Three Houses 2: PowerPoint Edition.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

We were on the verge of bingo, how dare they not try to sell us old things or mention Metroid Prime 4.

I mean, if we want to get real technical, they did try to sell us an old thing.

Which turned out to be the best part of the direct for me. Did I mention I am super stoked for live a Live? I haven't, have I? I am so happy. Let me say it again--

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA So sorry, guys. I'll return to my typical, permanently negative self soon enough. I can't manage right now, I'm overwhelmed with positivity.

Just now, Dayni said:

LIVEALIVE IS ALIVE GUYS, IT GOT A HD2D WORK UP TOO, I AM ACTUALLY TEMPTED FUCK

You can find my reaction at the top of page 4328.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm reminded of this one idiom about something bitter makes the sweet stand out.

They did it on purpose so you'd rage... then make the extasy more profound.

IntSys, you genius. You played the part of the evil villain so as to distract me and let Live a Live flank me and catch me off guard. And boy, did it ever. I straight up felt a warmth in my chest lol. That was so fucking good.

Just now, GuardianSing said:

I imagine an actual FE game announcement will happen in E3 or next direct.

Still waiting on that Fire Emblem fighting game spinoff.

The good thing about my expectations for FE being so low is that the disappointment of no FE doesn't even begin to put a slight dent on the joy of the Live a Live remake.

1 minute ago, WraithReborn said:

But gentlemen, aren’t you all excited about FE Three Hopes?

I am excited to forget about its existence for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA So sorry, guys. I'll return to my typical, permanently negative self soon enough. I can't manage right now, I'm overwhelmed with positivity.

It's a joy to see other people so excited.

That's usually my thing with Directs, I rarely get something that gets me super hyped but seeing other being get super hyped just puts a massive smile on my face.

Well, I’m happy for everyone who has a reason to be happy. Which is a surprising amount of people considering teehee’s inability to agree on games.

I mean, Triangle Strategy got a new, more finalized demo, which is definitely something I’m interested in. More Three Houses would always have been welcome, but it had to be a Musou.

Triangle Strategy’s demo might be a cool thing to hop into now since I finished Gehenna’s Stigma, but that was like ten minutes before the direct started so my thoughts were lost in the thread.

Man, the possibilities. To take this awesome, unique, highly experimental game, iron out the issues it had and give the good a fresh new coat of paint.

So Ruben, can I ask what you liked about the original other than nostalgia? It looked interesting, the part about stories in different points in time (and one in prehistory where they don’t have writing yet? How will that even work?) and… no actually, that’s it. I am a simple man.

Teehee.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I imagine an actual FE game announcement will happen in E3 or next direct.

Still waiting on that Fire Emblem fighting game spinoff.

Honestly, same.

4 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

But gentlemen, aren’t you all excited about FE Three Hopes?

If it's good it's a good Musou.

It's a different genre and not one I'm exactly a long time fan of or chomping at the bit for more of.

As for LiveALive (I am talking spoilers, so this is mostly for Ruben)

Spoiler

If there's one disappointment it's that I have not figured out how my saves for SNES games detached from the directory, thus I haven't gotten past Oersted's tale.

And I'll admit I struggled with it. Would you think I should go back and finish, or just be willing to go for it in July or whenever the price is acceptable?

It seems "Melia" and "Nia" are leaders of the opposing nations? And Vandham seems to be here, which is strange because this seems to be a distant sequel to 2

Spoiler

and, you know, he died.

I wonder what Pyra and Mythra are up to after all this time.

It's odd that it took five years for MK8D to get DLC. $25 for 48 tracks isn't a bad deal, but will it come with new characters? Portal is unexpected but good too.

Everyone seems convinced that Three Hopes (I’m sorry, that name is awful) will be a golden ending for Three Houses. I don’t think I want IS to do that, mainly because I don’t trust them with this. I could easily see Agarthans becoming Anankos/Valla 2.0.

I mean, the Course Pass on MK8D isn't terrible by itself honestly, but the fact that it feels like the game is being extended massively is the thing, especially with how long it's been out on Switch. The fact it's so evergreen isn't the problem, it's that the series has had the same main title for ages and that's come to bother people.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Everyone seems convinced that Three Hopes (I’m sorry, that name is awful) will be a golden ending for Three Houses. I don’t think I want IS to do that, mainly because I don’t trust them with this. I could easily see Agarthans becoming Anankos/Valla 2.0.

And with Rev being the way it is that is probably the sentence least likely to convince me otherwise.

Edited by Dayni

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I mean, the Course Pass on MK8D isn't terrible by itself honestly, but the fact that it feels like the game is being expanded massively is the thing, especially with how long it's been out on Switch. The fact it's so evergreen isn't the problem, it's that the series has had the same main title for ages and that's come to bother people.

I'm hoping the next Mario Kart wont even be about Mario and will just be a Nintendo All Stars Kart. I wanna watch Marth throw red shells at Isabelle.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I mean, the Course Pass on MK8D isn't terrible by itself honestly, but the fact that it feels like the game is being expanded massively is the thing, especially with how long it's been out on Switch. The fact it's so evergreen isn't the problem, it's that the series has had the same main title for ages and that's come to bother people.

I'm going to blame the Wii U for this. That it bom-omb'ed so badly meant MK8 didn't have a full lifespan on the system. While SSB did make a brand new entry, Nintendo probably thought MK8 looked and played good enough that they could save a buck and port the prior iteration instead of making a new one for Switch. The result is that MK8 has been given a cocktail of gene modification, limb-sized cybernetics, nanomachines, grafted alien tissue, and other life extenders that make it abnormally long-lived compared to prior entries.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'm reminded of when Koei said that if Fire Emblem Warriors is successful, they might make a sequel with actual good characters, so you better buy their junk.

Like there was ever a chance in hell that would happen. Considering FE Warriors was basically just Fates Warriors, the most recent game at the time, any new Warriors would be dominated by the cast of whatever new FE would be released until then. Which they would have known about, because they were literally the ones developing Three Houses.

Companies going "Buy our trash game if you want to see a good game in the future" is the absolute worst.

Edited by BrightBow

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

It's a joy to see other people so excited.

That's usually my thing with Directs, I rarely get something that gets me super hyped but seeing other being get super hyped just puts a massive smile on my face.

Not gonna lie, as selfish as it's going to sound, I am beyond glad that I am not the one saying this, for once. God, it feels so nice to come out of this thing with something.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So Ruben, can I ask what you liked about the original other than nostalgia? It looked interesting, the part about stories in different points in time (and one in prehistory where they don’t have writing yet? How will that even work?) and… no actually, that’s it. I am a simple man.

Well, by now I'll bet you guys know how I like games that are unique and break the mold somehow. Live a Live was an incredibly unique JRPG.

For starters, the combat system. You could call it a middle ground between traditional JRPGs and SRPGs. You have a grid and you can move your characters around it, but while you move, you use up in-game "time," which may give the enemy a chance to act. You want to move, however, as attacks often have different targetting patterns that require you line up in certain ways with the enemy - and viceversa, you might want to stay out of the range of powerful attacks. Plus, the battlefield's terrain can be changed to bad stuff like poison and lava, and I'm pretty sure some battles had obstacles, too. Also, certain moves need time to charge, so you want to position yourself properly before starting. The system adds another layer to typical JRPG battles. It wasn't perfect, though - the game had some problems, namely lack of information during battles and relatively low difficulty. Still, I always really appreciated how different it was.

For story, you got eight short stories, each in a different point in time, each serving as a sort of tribute / soft parody of famous genres such as spaghetti westerns, sci-fi horror, anime, slapstick cartoon and others. They all use gameplay in vastly different ways, too. The trailer mentioned the prehistoric chapter having no real dialogue, but honestly? That's very surface-level. The distant future chapter only has one fight at the very end, and the rest of it has you running around, talking to people and running from a monster - making it the grandfather of the RPGMaker horror genre. In the wild west chapter you're on a timer and you have to set traps, and the more effective you are, the easier the final battle becomes (of course, you can choose to set no traps and take on the biggest challenge - it's plenty beatable). The present day chapter is a series of fights with no exploration in between. Great stuff, great stuff. They're all super distinct, and again, while not without flaws (the anime chapter especially was pretty clunky), quite enjoyable.

After beating them all, you unlock the final story, where the story comes together in a legitimately brilliant plot twist that to this day, I still curse fate for making its spoiler my introduction to the game. Seriously, the twist is so fucking good.

I also remember the game getting pretty crazy with the secrets. I hold vague memories of doing a near 100% at one point, and lemme tell you, some of the more obscure things were pretty insane. For example, at one point there's this sort of transition screen in the prehistoric chapter where you're supposed to just head in a straight line towards a cave to progress. Except there's an invisible secret boss that's permanently running around the place at an absurd speed. If you manage to catch it and interact with it, you fight it and it drops... If I recall correctly, a soda can that is randomly one of the most powerful attack items in the game. Hilarious.

Add to that a kick-ass soundtrack, and you've got a game that, while aged and a bit messy in some regards, is still worthy of appreciation for how different and creative it was. And now it's getting a remake. A remake that could fix its issues and bring it to even greater... well, greatness. Take what worked, turn it up to 11, polish out the uglier sides and make it achieve its full potential, all these years later.

I am SO excited.

Atleast we are getting VS2 this year, right??

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For starters, the combat system. You could call it a middle ground between traditional JRPGs and SRPGs. You have a grid and you can move your characters around it, but while you move, you use up in-game "time," which may give the enemy a chance to act. You want to move, however, as attacks often have different targetting patterns that require you line up in certain ways with the enemy - and viceversa, you might want to stay out of the range of powerful attacks. Plus, the battlefield's terrain can be changed to bad stuff like poison and lava, and I'm pretty sure some battles had obstacles, too. Also, certain moves need time to charge, so you want to position yourself properly before starting. The system adds another layer to typical JRPG battles.

so... Trails?

anime

Let's be fair, the Akira story is the weakest of them without it being anime.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

so... Trails?

Less so because it's square grids.

This came out in 1994.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Atleast we are getting VS2 this year, right??

Hopefully.

They said it'd be translated this year right?

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

-snip-

Oh yeah, that all sounds great, I will keep an eye on it and reviews when it comes out—

3 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

so... Trails?

oh no

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Less so because it's square grids.

This came out in 1994.

Did Trails stopped using square grids?

Since FC clearly has squares.

Not gonna lie, as selfish as it's going to sound, I am beyond glad that I am not the one saying this, for once. God, it feels so nice to come out of this thing with something.

Heh. I imagine I'd feel the same if there was something that chilled me in there.

Alas, I'm not at "Buy new game as soon as it comes out" terms with many franchises so the most excitement I get is from ports of games I've already played. Like the Ezio trilogy that I'm happy about because I could barely get those games to run on this laptop.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

so... Trails?

Well... Not exactly. Movement is free in this game. It isn't turn based, it's time based. You can move all you like, but the enemy is going to make moves and attacks of their own as the ingame timer passes. This makes movement... well, actually matter in Live a Live. For the 10 hours that I played, the movement in Trails served exactly zero purpose. Characters moved automatically to attack, and dodging was unfeasible due to the move command wasting your turn, so in the end, I never used it. I just attacked and ate attacks which I healed when my HP got low, like in any regular JRPG. Charging attacks? Also pretty pointless. There was no way to cancel out charging attacks, not on the enemy side or on mine. So it didn't really change the course of the battle in any significant way. In Live a Live, you could move out of the way or use attacks that flipped the characters around, cancelling their charge - and of course, so could the enemy.

I know you do get the ability to cancel charges later, and perhaps moving around the board becomes important later on as well, but... Well, it plays into the other flaw Trails had - the story taking all the time it wants can be understandable, but why does the gameplay need to be a slow burn too? 10 hours is a pretty high amount of time to have to spend on a game for it not to leave the tutorial phase. I know you guys like to call me impatient, but I dunno, I think 10 hours is, if anything, pretty lenient. Steam only allows 2 for refunds, after all.

Plus, in Live a Live I never had to deal with horrible camera angles and poor lightning making a dungeon hell to explore. I'm willing to accept this may've been a me issue, but goodness was that forest dungeon an absolute pain in the ass.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Let's be fair, the Akira story is the weakest of them without it being anime.

Hah! True.

Edited by Saint Rubenio