Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Finally I have my old guitar back. I missed this thing.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

@GuardianSing All I have to add is, I disagree completely. DS remakes >>>>> FE3. FE3 is slower, lacks every QoL feature the DS games added and the interface is complete and utter garbage. Book 2 has its advantages over New Mystery (though I personally would argue they're not enough), but Book 1 is just straight up inferior to Shadow Dragon on the DS.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So Mystery of the Emblem is a two-in-one game. Book 1 is the only version of Shadow Dragon that matters. Book 2 is the actual Mystery of the Emblem (and superior to the DS remake because it doesn't look and sound like shit).

Ah decisions decisions.

I assume I'll play both versions at some point in my life so when that happens, the truth will be revealed.

Also my enviousness was not from me thinking I'll never play shadow dragon and more me thinking I'll never play the original shadow dragon. I don't doubt it's outdated but it still would be very interesting to see where Fire Emblem truly started and how it was like on the original Famicom.

Of course I could always emulate it but that's not as fun.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/41/28/UWSzW051_o.png

This feels more like a threat than anything else, game.

You've already whipped through Expert? What, did you take that contract I left on the table, filled in the blank space -above which I scribbled "*insert dark god's name here*"- and then signed at the bottom with your own blood?

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/d2/ae/dM58DtPr_o.png

The abs on this woman.

And to think she is a former model. I do like it though that F-Zero spread its super-duper American superhero lean mean impossibly muscular machine figures to a few of its women. Though maybe she shoulda worn the purple glasses she had back in X, the face hasn't aged well.

BTW, if your PC can handle the jump to the Wii and you can somehow get around the need for motion controls, you might want to consider giving Excitebots: Trick Racing a try at some point. It is very different from F-Zero GX, but happens to be another Nintendo-developed racing game that has fallen to the wayside due to Mario Kart's stifling dominance. It's less about crossing the finish line first -although that does help- as it is about racking up as many stars as possible in various ways. It can be quite chaotic, and sticking to the main road is almost optional. I found it fun and creative back in the day, and look back nostalgically on it.

41 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Finally I have my old guitar back. I missed this thing.

Aww. That's nice.

Ah decisions decisions.

I assume I'll play both versions at some point in my life so when that happens, the truth will be revealed.

Well, you've seen both sides of the coin. And for the record, plenty of people can handle the FE3 interface. I simply can't, myself. In fact, I think I've been leaving it at that for long enough. Let me explain in detail exactly what my problems are with FE3's UI. Apologies in advance for the big paragraph.

When you select the attack command, first the game shows you some of your unit's stats, but not all of them. Then, you have to press A to see the enemy's stats. As you can see, not only are they shown in different screens, they're also arranged in vastly different ways, so you can't easily compare the numbers side by side. On top of that, pressing B goes back to the unit's action menu no matter where you are, so if you've seen the enemy's stats and want to see your unit's stats again, you have to select attack, pick the weapon and target all over again. Most egregious of all, your unit's HP and defense are completely absent from this menu, so in order to figure out how much damage you'd take from a counter, you have to close the whole thing, undo the unit's movement and open their statsheet.

It's just... such a massive hassle. In Book 1 it hardly matters, because the game requires exactly zero neurons and I coasted through half of it without even reading the numbers until I got bored. But Book 2 requires more finesse, and that's where this becomes a big problem for me.

And hey, it's not like I'm asking for that much. FE4 already has a perfectly fine UI. Archaic and minimalistic, certainly, but at least it shows you all the important stats, it shows you both your stats and the enemy's stats at the same time and they're arranged in the same order, so calculations are convenient and simple. This is the only game where the UI is so bad that I honestly cannot stand to play it. Well, this and I imagine FE2 and 1, but I haven't dared to go that far back yet.

So yeah, tl;dr: FE3's UI has aged horrendously and I wish I could power through it like all the Mystery fans. Unfortunately, I can't, so for me, New Mystery and Shadow Dragon are the obvious answers to the Archanea dilemma.

Also my enviousness was not from me thinking I'll never play shadow dragon and more me thinking I'll never play the original shadow dragon. I don't doubt it's outdated but it still would be very interesting to see where Fire Emblem truly started and how it was like on the original Famicom.

The old fanslation of FE1 is more charming anyway. Its grunginess suits the artstyle better than Nintendo's version, which is basically just Shadow Dragon but watered down.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You've already whipped through Expert?

So it seems. It was not easy.

What, did you take that contract I left on the table, filled in the blank space -above which I scribbled "*insert dark god's name here*"- and then signed at the bottom with your own blood?

Perish the thought!

I signed it with the blood of the other racers.

...Seriously, that's been the strat so far. I've hardly won any races, in fact I've landed as far down as below 20th in a couple. But I've been making sure that anybody who gets ahead of me does not survive to celebrate. Five courses per cup gives plenty of time to blow enough people up to skew the scores so that I can win with a subpar total. That's the beauty of this game.

And to think she is a former model.

I probably would've liked her less back then.

Before I unlocked her, I could only see her face on the interface. I thought she looked like a generic super model woman. Then I unlocked her and saw her belly. I hadn't expected this game would have such riveting plot twists! Take notes, Steins;Gate.

I do like it though that F-Zero spread its super-duper American superhero lean mean impossibly muscular machine figures to a few of its women.

I like it too. But for shallower reasons, I'd wager.

Though maybe she shoulda worn the purple glasses she had back in X, the face hasn't aged well.

In fairness to her, I caught a mid-blink screenshot. She doesn't usually look that stoned. Her hair is made of the same material as Garon's beard, though, that's hilarious.

Honestly though, the character models may be a wee bit wonky at times, but this game has aged incredibly well. It still looks absolutely gorgeous most of the time. If I didn't know better I'd definitely call it a Wii game.

BTW, if your PC can handle the jump to the Wii and you can somehow get around the need for motion controls, you might want to consider giving Excitebots: Trick Racing a try at some point. It is very different from F-Zero GX, but happens to be another Nintendo-developed racing game that has fallen to the wayside due to Mario Kart's stifling dominance. It's less about crossing the finish line first -although that does help- as it is about racking up as many stars as possible in various ways. It can be quite chaotic, and sticking to the main road is almost optional. I found it fun and creative back in the day, and look back nostalgically on it.

Duly noted. My PC can handle Wii indeed, and I've gotten around motion controls before. It'll take some wizardry, but well, that's why Dolphin allows for multiple control profiles.

22 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I am gonna be the unbiased one as always and say all Marth games suck equally

But Marth is in Fates

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Well, finally had the chance to cross the border into the US again. This time with my dad, who can cross in car. Among other stuff, we took the chance to get booster shots. Too bad he told me after the fact I should've took another one not from the one I had originally. Welp, time to spend another night feeling sick. Oh well...

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, finally had the chance to cross the border into the US again. This time with my dad, who can cross in car. Among other stuff, we took the chance to get booster shots. Too bad he told me after the fact I should've took another one not from the one I had originally. Welp, time to spend another night feeling sick. Oh well...

Oof. Hopefully the side effects pass quickly enough for you.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Oof. Hopefully the side effects pass quickly enough for you.

If it's like last time, I might just sleep it off. I don't remember how long it lasted the first time around.

But well, now that I know, next booster will be Pfizer's. That's what my dad took.

Ended up minding the gremlin for a few hours, we played Concrete Genie (partly because playing multiplayer on the Switch without the dock is a horrifying experience of tiny screens).

It's not what I'd call a masterpiece (funny when it's gameplay is built on artistic expression), partly as yet another game that has frustrated humans and their emotions leading to delinquency ruining the world around them and you as sensitive soul has to solve the problem with some whimsy and supernatural powers (in paint form!) though it wears it's focus on the arty kid who remembers his town on it's sleeve, the gameplay's motion controls are.... fine and they do encourage engaging with the environment around you and the dingy visuals work for the setting you're trying to improve. It could be enhanced by a VR session too.

59 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

imo, it's a curio that you'll either find interesting or throw super fast like I did. Never finished, never will.

MotE is the first decently polished FE experience, though imo the DS remakes are better there are issues that prevent me from saying never play one or the other.

btw @Dayni, this is very late, but:

You asked about whether Bloodborne for PS1 was based off an existing game or if it was built from the ground up, and the answer is... Well, neither. Bloodborne PSX is a PC game that's made to graphically resemble a PS1 game.

Just now, Benice said:

You asked about whether Bloodborne for PS1 was based off an existing game or if it was built from the ground up, and the answer is... Well, neither. Bloodborne PSX is a PC game that's made to graphically resemble a PS1 game.

So it's an homage not made for emulators..

Alright.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, Phantom Menace at least has Duel of Fates, and Attack of the Clones has the Geonosist big brawl.

Yeah but my distaste for the first two Prequels affected their Lego versions. Even as a kid playing through The Complete Saga, i remember thinking "man i can't wait until i get to Revenge of the Sith. That's when it gets good".

I can't believe Kevin found a Core Crystal and used it to resonate with Tita. How does Sky the 3rd fit into the Xenoblade 2 lore?

Also, a chest said the localizers considered renaming Olivier to Oliver. I wonder what other mythical knowledge the chests will regale me with...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but my distaste for the first two Prequels affected their Lego versions. Even as a kid playing through The Complete Saga, i remember thinking "man i can't wait until i get to Revenge of the Sith. That's when it gets good".

My younger self watched Attack of the Clones and thought it was fine, apparently. I never watched The Phantom Menace until a few years ago and I thought it was fine. That doesn't mean that Lego Star Wars isn't the ideal way to experience those films however. I saw Revenge of the Sith when it first came out and liked it, but I didn't know it was a prequel until after I saw it and was rather confused by the idea.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Okabe is back to his old antics.

When you find someone whose mom has the same name as your mom

Hwuru41.jpg
IT KEEPS GOING

The bad art is ending up as a genuine strength for this game, I’m enjoying laughing at it as I’m gong through the game. It’s kind of like the Conquest’s plot of video game art.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Hmmm

i wouldn't call it filler. It's quite important iirc

When you said it threw everyone for a loop, I thought you meant it was a red herring of sorts.

maxresdefault.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The bad art is ending up as a genuine strength for this game, I’m enjoying laughing at it as I’m gong through the game. It’s kind of like the Conquest’s plot of video game art

lmao

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

When you said it threw everyone for a loop, I thought you meant it was a red herring of sorts.

Well

There's something about that song

you will see