7 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I love how his wings are still flapping lmao

Gust budget moment.

6 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

First Florida man, now Florida Shrimp

Truly we are a threat.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I'm going to drop EpicKusoge 1. ☹️

The story so far has been great. It is entertaining pure sci-fi, and feels like there is constant movement without significant filler. I complained initially that the cutscenes drag for too long, but now I wish it was almost nothing else. 

It's the gameplay that is ruining it for me

Feel free to just watch the cutscenes and skip to Episode III.

4 hours ago, TheChoZenOne said:

20220310_145311.jpg

Oh my God that is actually a banger I thought this was an Odin Sphere character which, fair, given FEH's Norse mythology inspiration.

1 hour ago, Awakened_06_ said:

FE should have more games with feudal Japan aesthetics

I do not think anyone would disagree with this.

58 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Well, let's see:

Genealogy gameplay is good

Path of Radiance is a mid-tier game at best

Solid Fire Emblem opinions, and I think I mostly agree. The only quibble I have is thinking Path of Radiance is more of an upper-mid tier, but if we are only splitting it into low/mid/high...

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Only perhaps if it's another Fates situation of "Japan good, Westerners bad" vibes...

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

List of JRPGs that have Boost and/or Break mechanics

Fifth_Element_General_Belt_1_4957.jpg

If you’re recommending any of these, I’m listening.

6 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

That also makes you responsible for banning the guy

I'm like that Mysterio chap from the spiderman movie.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I don't know what a break or boost mechanic is, but LAD is good.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

List of JRPGs that have Boost and/or Break mechanics

What is a Break/Boost mechanic?

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Feel free to just watch the cutscenes and skip to Episode III.

Thanks. I don't want to, because it's a video game, interactivity is important. But if I don't know what I'm doing wrong, then it's just plain disheartening.

Glimpsing one guide for Ep. 1, the author says Ziggy can deal 1000 damage to this boss per turn after using Guard once. As it stands, I think the most I've seen is about 400 damage from an A.G.W.S. using a W-Act critical hit. Outside of a mech, it's at best 250 per character. This disparity leaves me befuddled.

Seeing XS Ep. I go down like this when I assumed only Ep. II would be skippable is frustrating me to the point of melancholy again. -With other contributing factors of course, it's not just the game. But, as depression doth remind me- life is short, I shouldn't be bothered over something like this. I need to not let it get to me and move on.

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I thought this was an Odin Sphere character which, fair, given FEH's Norse mythology inspiration.

Fire Kingdom, Netherworld, Fairies, the steampunk giants are out of place, but the Crystallization Cauldron was an odd bit of fantasy tech.😄

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can't speak about The 8th MS Team, since I've only seen the adapted versions that show up in SRW, but I'm always partial of 0080 War in the Pocket having a very good view in regards to war and what Gundam is meant to represent... specially as seen by the civilians caught in the crossfires...

I've heard very good things about it, especially from the "Gundam as serious war drama" crowd.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

(Actually upon double checking I finished the game in 45 hours, and I reached the final chapter in 30 hours.)

I did it in half

Smug Estelle Face | Smug Anime Face | Know Your Meme

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Seriously? Because when this idea is brought up people say that "the grace of FE is seeing how standard european armies are portrayed by the japanese", how changing that will spoil the franchise and that there are already enough strategy games with feudal japan aesthetics...

49 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Solid Fire Emblem opinions, and I think I mostly agree. The only quibble I have is thinking Path of Radiance is more of an upper-mid tier, but if we are only splitting it into low/mid/high...

I guess the taste of this forum is really quite different from the rest of the fanbase...

1 minute ago, Awakened_06_ said:

I guess the taste of this forum is really quite different from the rest of the fanbase...

I mean, we have more than 50% here saying Rev good xD

It has been brought to my attention

FNh2JaRXoAUshFP?format=jpg&name=large

That Xiaomu was directly referencing Xenogears here in the chapter that takes place in a Xenoblade location that has a title based on Xenosaga.

Xiaomu was referencing this in particular

While the song itself does not appear in the game, it is a vocal version of the overworld theme.

....Hmm, maybe i should give Xenogears another run before Xenoblade 3 comes out. Maybe. I'll think about it.

26 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well the point was moreso that it's a common mechanic and it just may have to do with the fact that you play little in the way of JRPGs but as fas as turn-based games go. Admittidly, Break is much more common than Boost but:

• Later Atelier games have Break mechanics (Lulua also has a Boost mechanic)
  • You're already a Trails fan so no need to recommend those
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which has Persona combat but better
    • On that note, i gotta call you out for saying P5 combat is generic when it has the thing you like Octopath for but admittedly, P5 combat is kinda good generic, because i've seen way more turn-based games that are better
  • Xenosaga has Boost and Break but Episode III nukes the other two Episodes from orbit in terms of gameplay quality
  • Endless Frontier (don't play this one) and it's sequel (maybe play this one) have Break, as do the Project X Zone games (don't play the first one)

And this is just what i've played. I'm sure other JRPG enjoyers in this thread can provide more.

I left out action games because while they can have Break in them, ARPGs do not follow the same rules.

26 minutes ago, Benice said:

What is a Break/Boost mechanic?

Break is often attacking enemy weak points to temporarily stun them. How it goes about it depends, some games have meter for that, other games will have them happen when you get those. You will see this a lot in ARPGs too.

Boost is simply cutting turns. Again, how the game goes about it depends. In some, it may only be limited to specific actions. In others, you get a full free action. But any case likely has some sort of meter in place to prevent abuse.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thanks. I don't want to, because it's a video game, interactivity is important. But if I don't know what I'm doing wrong, then it's just plain disheartening.

Yeah like don't force yourself if you aren't enjoying it.

I'd say use cheats but lmao using cheats on PCSX2.

2 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Seriously? Because when this idea is brought up people say that "the grace of FE is seeing how standard european armies are portrayed by the japanese", how changing that will spoil the franchise and that there are already enough strategy games with feudal japan aesthetics...

I need to know what alternate dimension you hang out in because this is the first time i've heard of this. Heck, i've only seen people say they want FE to tackle other cultures.

1 hour ago, Awakened_06_ said:

If you want to be technical it was more the Edo period.

Just give me an FE game based off of North America and then I can die happy

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Just give me an FE game based off of North America and then I can die happy

North America is just Europe 2.

I mean there's the whole Natives culture but we kinda did get that with Sacae so.....

Edited by Armagon

Sure, because when it's about North America, everything between the US and the Darién Gap is just chopped liver...

File:Viceroyalty of New Spain 1789.png - Wikipedia

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Break is often attacking enemy weak points to temporarily stun them. How it goes about it depends, some games have meter for that, other games will have them happen when you get those. You will see this a lot in ARPGs too.

Boost is simply cutting turns. Again, how the game goes about it depends. In some, it may only be limited to specific actions. In others, you get a full free action. But any case likely has some sort of meter in place to prevent abuse.

Ah.

...I don't play JRPGs so I don't quite get it, but I get it, I think.

FNgY_7FXEAUj09Q?format=jpg&name=large

Pics that go hard

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sure, because when it's about North America, everything between the US and the Darien Gap is just chopped liver...

Honestly the most interesting NA FE would be one based on Central America or the Caribbean imo.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

...I don't play JRPGs so I don't quite get it, but I get it, I think.

Xenoblade 2 (most of the series actually) has a Break though it's execution is obviously different.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

What's Mar10? Please don't tell me he's only ten, that'd make me older than him...

Nothing, Mar10 (as in March 10th) looks like the word "Mario". Like how May 4th is Star Wars day, despite the date having nothing to do with Star Wars.

According to Super Smash Bros. Melee's Japanese version, Mario is around 26.

11 minutes ago, Awakened_06_ said:

I did it in half

Smug Estelle Face | Smug Anime Face | Know Your Meme

I completed every sidequest and got all but three BP, so that might be why.

Estelle_Bright_-_Portrait_0507_(FC).png

I finished SC in 70 hours (again completing every sidequest and all BP), so Sooks was actually right about it being twice as long as the first game.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

North America is just Europe 2.

I mean there's the whole Natives culture but we kinda did get that with Sacae so.....

I thought Sacae was based off of Central Asia.

It's a very loose connection to be sure but Lyn's general design seems way more Mongolian inspired than any American Indian tribe.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly the most interesting NA FE would be one based on Central America or the Caribbean imo.

Okay but imagine cowboy units.

Also Navajo desert maps that don't suck.

It's certainly something this Native would like to see.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sure, because when it's about North America, everything between the US and the Darien Gap is just chopped liver...

I bet it could fit in the entire continent if handled correctly. I mean Fates tried to do something like that by having all these smaller kingdoms that you visited. It could truly feel like you're traveling great distances.

This is my main field of study, the cultures of North America are far richer then most folks give it credit for. From the tip of Alaska to the horn of the Yucatan, there's so much to draw inspiration from.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

thought Sacae was based off of Central Asia.

You know what, true.

Okay but imagine cowboy units.

The question would be if they're willing to put guns in non-Heroes FE.

I'd be down for it.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I mean Fates tried to do something like that by having all these smaller kingdoms that you visited. It could truly feel like you're traveling great distances.

Keyword is tried lmao. But it is a neat idea.

AHAHAHAHA OMG

Luigi moment right there.

---

I thought Sacae was based off of Central Asia.

It's a very loose connection to be sure but Lyn's general design seems way more Mongolian inspired than any American Indian tribe.

In Japan Sacae is known as Saka, name taken from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saka

So yeah, from the central steppes of Asia.

---

This reminds me. I do have a draft for a idea of an FE-inspired story based on the Latin American wars of independence. Doubt I'd be able to turn it into an actual game, but eh, still there.

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️

Sacae is an alternative spelling of "Saka", which refers to a Central Eurasian nomadic group of antiquity with some kind of relation to the Scythians. The exact relation is difficult to define, since they were nomads who left little physical evidence behind and don't have a big if any written record. Relying on contemporary settled empires and kingdoms on the borders of the steppes is always a crapshoot for accurate history and defining of the many and ever changing peoples of Central Eurasia. Anyhow, from Wikipedia.:

Scythia-Parthia_100_BC.png

Since the indigenous peoples of the American Great Plains roamed flatlands in tents, and that Central Eurasia is almost entirely ignored in history classes, it's understandable Western and specifically American audiences would confuse the two. In terms of their way of life and related geography, they're superficially similar.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The question would be if they're willing to put guns in non-Heroes FE.

I'd be down for it.

I've always wondered how that would work, adding guns to Fire Emblem.

Like would they aesthetically replace bows or would they be an entirely new type of weapon?

Also, since when does FE Heroes have guns?

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This reminds me. I do have a draft for a idea of an FE-inspired story based on the Latin American wars of independence. Doubt I'd be able to turn it into an actual game, but eh, still there.

South America would be another very interesting setting placement, no matter the time period.