• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah that's kind of like the issue. The reinforcements go on for too long.

-You missed my point. It wasn't gameplay fatigue, it was narrative fatigue, which just so happened to affect me in gameplay.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Oh and look at that. Vanillaware's first game after becoming Vanillaware is getting remastered. A 2D RTS sounds interesting enough. *reads up* OH WAIT, KATIMANI USED ATELIER AS INSPIRATION FOR SETTING OF THIS GAME?! BROOOOO THAT'S SO BASED (oh and he also used Harry Potter for setting inspiration. Eh, who cares about that).

For the bolded, let's remember that their second game after becoming Vanillaware was Odin Sphere Classic Mode. And that you played three minutes of the original Atelier -the specific Atelier that inspired this game- and then dropped it

Not gonna say it's going to be as bad, but it doesn't hurt to brace for a bit of a rough landing, if not an actual crash. I'm not expecting a Refined Mode miracle again.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Considering that this game is releasing for the Switch, it seems Vanillaware has now taken full interest in the console and 13 Sentinels' Switch port wasn't just for show. Japan release only for now but it should be in the West soon. Only two of Vanillaware's games never made it overseas, both of them were exclusive to handhelds (Grand Knights History did have a localization planned tho).

While I would like to think this possibly means the door is open to Leifthrasir, Demon Blade Rebirth, and Dragon's Crown Switch ports, it's also possible this wasn't entirely Vanillaware's decision.

Keep in mind, Nippon Ichi Software has released two Prinny Presents two-game collections, with a third on the way. Said collections amount to four of their non-Disgaea PS2 games, and one each from the PSP and PS1. GrimGrimoire would've fit chronologically snuggly into one of these packages. However, as NIS did not develop GrimGrimoire alone, they probably couldn't so readily include it with another game due to legal complications, and so have to release it separately for a smoother paperwork process on their end.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, Lyn mode is just not worth playing. An hour of boredom for what, Marcus 2? Bleh.

I never Knight Crest Kent or Sain. It's more for getting Florina well-leveled and perhaps Robe & Ringed so maybe I can see about using her as a combat unit in the main story. Getting the Cavs and the magic users some additional levels doesn't hurt either. And getting Lyn to like 10 tops makes going for the Linus/Geitz Four-Fanged Offense appreciably easier in E/H Hard Mode with its decreased deployment and EXP gain making fielding Lyn more of a liability. LM has got enough benefits and is short and easy enough that I don't mind it.

By the time Ike steps in, Pelleas is pretty much the only good thing about the game. But then again, that's another unpopular opinion. I seem to love Pelleas far more than most.

Mind this forum is very likely Tellius-biased compared to the entire Fire Emblem fanbase. But the rest of the fanbase is so heartlessly vicious that they eat hamsters for breakfast and baby bunnies for dinner, so why would you want to be elsewhere?😛

Pelleas I do like. Well-intentioned, but so pathetically pathetic in his abilities. And I mean this entirely in a good way.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For the bolded, let's remember that their second game after becoming Vanillaware was Odin Sphere Classic Mode. And that you played three minutes of the original Atelier -the specific Atelier that inspired this game- and then dropped it

Not gonna say it's going to be as bad, but it doesn't hurt to brace for a bit of a rough landing, if not an actual crash. I'm not expecting a Refined Mode miracle again.

At the same time, Vanillaware does have a habit of improving their games in remasters and remakes. And since GrimGrimiore did serve as a basis for 13 Sentinels' gameplay, i imagine that the circle will be completed, and Vanillaware will use their knowledge of 13 Sentinels to improve GrimGrimiore. Already they announced that the gameplay will be rebalanced.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mind this forum is very likely Tellius-biased compared to the entire Fire Emblem fanbase.

I always get a kick out of the fact that every person whose FE tier lists are fairly similar to mine always, without fail, has Radiant Dawn as the biggest disagreement. Every single time, RD is sky high in their lists, while it very barely avoids "bad FE" tier in mine.

But the rest of the fanbase is so heartlessly vicious that they eat hamsters for breakfast and baby bunnies for dinner, so why would you want to be elsewhere?😛

Ahaha... Well, true enough, true enough.

Pelleas I do like. Well-intentioned, but so pathetically pathetic in his abilities. And I mean this entirely in a good way.

That's a perfect summary. I always found him to be so beautifully tragic.

Spoiler

The man screws everything up, but he truly means well and he does everything in his power to restore his mistakes. He goes as far as to sacrifice his own life to save Daein. In most stories, this is when he'd get his brilliant redemption moment... Except, it's all completely useless. He dies for nothing and none of his failures are undone until Lekain is shanked later on.

I had gone into the game with spoilers, fully intending to kill him with Tauroneo for the meme of making his battle quote with Ashnard true. But I couldn't. I came to care too much and I simply had to grant his final wish. It was the least he deserved.

Poor guy. If there was one incentive to replay the game...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Oho!

Yeah, go ahead, remind me that this game is still months away. It's not like I'm impatiently waiting for it or anything.

Okay this should go without saying, but if you're interested in going into this game blind, DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS IN THIS VIDEO, OR ANY OTHER TRAILER, FOR THAT MATTER. Four comments in and already I'm seeing nasty spoilers...

...Lei? Hong Hakka? Ou Di? Earthen Heart Shifu? Oh God, that's going to be so difficult to get used to...

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I always get a kick out of the fact that every person whose FE tier lists are fairly similar to mine always, without fail, has Radiant Dawn as the biggest disagreement. Every single time, RD is sky high in their lists, while it very barely avoids "bad FE" tier in mine

Well, you can't be correct about everything.

I like Pelleas as a character. Kinda feel bad for the guy, just thrown in such a major conflict, but the dude doesn't have any experience to do what's asked. At least he tries. Also, his theme is great. That's the most important part.. Tragic character.

Just now, Shaky Jones said:

Well, you can't be correct about everything.

Hush, you. Go give Frost kills.

I like Pelleas as a character. Kinda feel bad for the guy, just thrown in such a major conflict, but the dude doesn't have any experience to do what's asked. At least he tries.

That's what makes him so sad. The man tries, he tries so hard. He just fails regardless.

Also, his theme is great. That's the most important part.

Big depression vibes.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Lei? Hong Hakka? Ou Di? Earthen Heart Shifu? Oh God, that's going to be so difficult to get used to...

Ah yes, the same name minus an optional "h" as this PS4/5 & PC roguelike beat 'em up game that released earlier this year. S(h)ifu is Chinese meaning "master" a quick lookup reveals.

You might have ever so slight an interest in glimpsing a video or two of Sifu. The game is very difficult I'm told, but every time you die you come back increasingly older. You don't Game Over and have to redo an entire level until you reach your 60s. Getting older decreases your HP, but increases your attack power.

---

Off to the Gate of Magus now. Time for the thrills to begin.😄

...But before I do.:

#1 reason to buy physical.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

In other news, I've decided I've spent far too long singing Ecclesia's praises. Every Metroidvania I've tried, I've liked, so it's time to increase my repertoire. Let's do some Aria of Sorrow.

I've been playing for like an hour. So far it's... Perhaps the worst of the ones I've played. I mean, being as godly as Ecclesia was never something I expected, but I'm just breezing through the map, and both of the two bosses I've encountered were painfully simple. Dawn of Sorrow, I played a really long time ago, so I don't want to compare, but Bloodstained definitely had a sturdier start than this.

...It's kinda making me want to play Ecclesia instead, not gonna lie. I miss Barlowe already. Or Bloodstained. Bloodstained was great too. But I'll stick with this. Even if it's more mundane, it's still Igavania.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, the same name minus an optional "h" as this PS4/5 & PC roguelike beat 'em up game that released earlier this year. S(h)ifu is Chinese meaning "master" a quick lookup reveals.

That's... interesting. They've done the exact opposite as the fanslators of the original game, who translated the "master" but left the martial art in Chinese.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You might have ever so slight an interest in glimpsing a video or two of Sifu. The game is very difficult I'm told, but every time you die you come back increasingly older. You don't Game Over and have to redo an entire level until you reach your 60s. Getting older decreases your HP, but increases your attack power.

That sounds like an interesting brawler.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

#1 reason to buy physical.

Bahahahah!

Game good, then. Armagon was right.

11 hours ago, Elina said:

On a different note, I’ve bought almost all the dlc for Awakening but I still have some left. Should I buy that or revelation for fates, (because I’ve only played conquest and birthright)?

I will recommend Revelation, but with a lot of caveats. It is a gameplay mess, with gimmicks that can be really hit or miss, a massive cast with smaller deployment slots than either of its counterpart, and utterly nonsensical balancing of the units you get. I am of the opinion that it is a fun game, as long as you add some "challenge" run condition to how you are playing, to fudge away some of the weird ways the game deals with the number of characters you get (compared to deployment slots at least), and when you get them. At the very least I had a lot of fun with my PMU LP of that game, while finding the vanilla run I did of it very dull.

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

Shouldn’t I play PoR first?

Path of Radiance has a solid story (probably the best post-Kaga story) on top of gameplay as dull as Sacred Stones.

...Honestly, RD just takes such a massive dive in its second half. Arguably from part 2, even. That part already suffers from a big lack of difficulty due to your entire team being broken prepromotes. But since it's just getting started, there's still a little ways to go before the issue becomes overbearing. By the time Ike steps in, Pelleas is pretty much the only good thing about the game. But then again, that's another unpopular opinion. I seem to love Pelleas far more than most.

Alright time for my own clearly unpopular opinion that Radiant Dawn is a mess from the start. Part one starts out fairly solid, with the building of a solid story that contrests interestingly with Path of Radiance but as soon as they are done with what looks like the early game someone shouted bored now, and the entire midgame gets converted to a vague map image, a line or two of text, and it jumps to an unearned endgame, squandering much of the good ideas of part one. As for part one gameplay, my biggest complaint is the arbitrary gameover condition on every character's death in the first few chapters (plus how part 3 warps how you play part 1, but it is hard to blame that on part 1). Part two is just all over the place, more reminiscent of the BSFE maps than anything, but not the worst thing in the world. That would be Part 3, and a big part of that is that the Greil Mercenaries are just in the way. At its heart it is a story about the Laguz, but they are mostly neglected for the sake of giving the Greil Mercenaries the highlight. The Blood Pact is terrible too, a lazy way of forcing the Daein characters into it without making anyone seem like a villain, which is far weaker than any of the ways they could have included them. There were so many ways they could have included them, like public pressure from a racist populace, promises of financial aid from Begnion to stave off starvation from those that had "no idea" of the corruption of their occupation army, motivated by fear that the army of Laguz marching close to their border might be out for revenge for Daein's horrible atrocities against Laguz in the past (lead further by the "villain" Ike leading this army of sub-humans), even just mundane blackmail would have been preferable. Plus the Blood Pact would utterly ruin Naesala's character, and creating some massive potholes to Path of Radiance in the process. Also the Greil Mercenary maps tend to be too easy, while the Dawn Brigade ones harder than they should be given the exp available to them, leading to an unsatisfying game-play no matter your difficulty preference. Part 4 isn't the worst (from a story perspective at least) other than the utterly arbitrary survival of every character with a face, despite everything the story is trying to tell us about part 4. Plus it is where the Black Knight, and Ike's story hits peak levels of stupid. From a gameplay perspective

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

The desert map is doodoo dogshit tho, easily one of the worst in the series.

That sums up my biggest complaint in far fewer (and cruder) words than I would have (see my entry on the top 10 most frustrating maps thread for a few more details...)

Honestly Ike is one of the worst parts about Radiant Dawn, as they had no idea what to do about him other than as terrible blowup doll levels of fan service. They have him go through a worse version of the same arc he went through in Path of Radiance, awkwardly force him to be the one to land the final blow for literally no reason, and visually transform him into the beefiest cake in the game.

That being said, I still recommend people play Radiant Dawn, as it is an interesting experiment on the FE formula that is worth checking out, despite its numerous flaws.

Oh hey I'm a member now.

Teehee.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know absolutely nothing about this woman.

And that will probably remain that way, because Barlowe is benched and as far as I recall she's one of Awakening's few Robinsexuals.

Oof.

She has conversations with Tiki which are pretty fun.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can wait for the rest of days. I have given that game more chances than it deserves.

...Three?

10 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

22qsMUkf_o.jpg

she's growing on me

I like the anchors on the curtains.

32 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Path of Radiance has a solid story (probably the best post-Kaga story) on top of gameplay as dull as Sacred Stones.

Duller, I would argue. Sacred Stones has a number of maps that are legitimately challenging. PoR doesn't even have that.

Alright time for my own clearly unpopular opinion that Radiant Dawn is a mess from the start. Part one starts out fairly solid, with the building of a solid story that contrests interestingly with Path of Radiance but as soon as they are done with what looks like the early game someone shouted bored now, and the entire midgame gets converted to a vague map image, a line or two of text, and it jumps to an unearned endgame, squandering much of the good ideas of part one. As for part one gameplay, my biggest complaint is the arbitrary gameover condition on every character's death in the first few chapters (plus how part 3 warps how you play part 1, but it is hard to blame that on part 1). Part two is just all over the place, more reminiscent of the BSFE maps than anything, but not the worst thing in the world. That would be Part 3, and a big part of that is that the Greil Mercenaries are just in the way. At its heart it is a story about the Laguz, but they are mostly neglected for the sake of giving the Greil Mercenaries the highlight. The Blood Pact is terrible too, a lazy way of forcing the Daein characters into it without making anyone seem like a villain, which is far weaker than any of the ways they could have included them. There were so many ways they could have included them, like public pressure from a racist populace, promises of financial aid from Begnion to stave off starvation from those that had "no idea" of the corruption of their occupation army, motivated by fear that the army of Laguz marching close to their border might be out for revenge for Daein's horrible atrocities against Laguz in the past (lead further by the "villain" Ike leading this army of sub-humans), even just mundane blackmail would have been preferable. Plus the Blood Pact would utterly ruin Naesala's character, and creating some massive potholes to Path of Radiance in the process. Also the Greil Mercenary maps tend to be too easy, while the Dawn Brigade ones harder than they should be given the exp available to them, leading to an unsatisfying game-play no matter your difficulty preference. Part 4 isn't the worst (from a story perspective at least) other than the utterly arbitrary survival of every character with a face, despite everything the story is trying to tell us about part 4. Plus it is where the Black Knight, and Ike's story hits peak levels of stupid. From a gameplay perspective

Aww you stopped just when it was getting juicy

I mind the Blood Pact less than most, but otherwise, this is more or less my opinion as well. RD really shouldn't have had the Greil Mercenaries, or at least not have them hog the spotlight to the extent that they did.

Honestly Ike is one of the worst parts about Radiant Dawn

Yes.

Yes.

All of the yes.

8 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Oh hey I'm a member now.

Teehee.

Finally found a master seal?

She has conversations with Tiki which are pretty fun.

All right.

...Three?

That'd be neat and tidy.

But no. It's four.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Finally found a master seal?

No, just over halfway through all the Fates conversations.

We all have our journey to Hotoke

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All right.

Also the home of probably one of the most hard hitting quotes in Awakening.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That'd be neat and tidy.

But no. It's four.

Four houses, grand.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Didn't notice them until you pointed it out, but I agree

Sailor's pride!

----

Oh and just incase anyone is wondering, yes, it is still snowing outside.

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Sailor's pride!

Tbh, there's actually no excuse for me not noticing since the restaurant is shaped like a ship lol.

Fits perfectly with the theme.

Edited by twilitfalchion

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tbh, there's actually no excuse for me not noticing since the restaurant is shaped like a ship lol.

Fits perfectly with the theme.

Ah yes, the theme of sea dogs and shanties, me favorite.

Oh, turns out there's already a trailer for the Prehistory chapter.

Nintendo has just... for some undiscernible reason decided to upload the China trailer to their channel, and ignore the Prehistory trailer. And then Youtube only recommended me the former, but we already knew Youtube is irrational beyond belief.

AHAHAHA THEY SHOWED THE DICKZARD IN THE TRAILER this game's going to be awesome. It does look like they censored the middle fingers, but... Eh, I can live with that.

EDIT: Oh God I just realized, they censored the middle fingers, but they replaced the simple pixelization censorship with a 😊 emoticon. Okay, yeah, I think I like it better this way.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Time to add my juice to the Tellius discussion, and i will  try to be unbiased because if RD part 4 wasn't a thing, the Tellius Saga would be my fav.

Anyway

* PoR is probabld the only "basic" story i like in the series. Support and Base convos helped alot in making me like this

* Gameplay however was piss easy...but PoR is what basically tought me how to play FE as it has imo the best tutorials in the series. I probably wouldn't be "playing CQ Luna to chill" Shrimpy if it wasn't for it.

* I don't mind RD's weird difficulty curve, as it fit well with the story

* However there are alot of "what were they thinking" moments. Especially Part 4 maps and green unit movies

* At the end of PoR Sephiran says how what Ike achieved as a 'commoner' will lead to the rise of ugly ambition and competition in humanity in the continent, as many will try to imitate him....where was that in RD?

* As much as BK hype was...his arc should've ended in PoR imo.

Still, it was a fun experiment and i'd rather FE experiment than do basic stuff

Just my 2 cents

Edited by Shrimpolaris

11 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

* Gameplay however was piss easy...but PoR is what basically tought me how to play FE as it has imo the best tutorials in the series. I probably wouldn't be "playing CQ Luna to chill" Shrimpy if it wasn't for it.

This is why I have so many problems with this game, I think. Most people who rate it highly played it early into their FE careers, sometimes even being their first, when the tedium and the nonexistent difficulty aren't such big problems.

...Then again, Blazing Sword was my first and I rate it really low, so... Eh.