• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I've gone ahead and followed the @Armagon path. I'm trying out MelonDS. Figured, hey, my Desmume works and all, but it's a really old build that hasn't been supported for centuries. Might as well update.

Advantages:

• It offers slightly better emulation than my ol' reliable Desmume build. I can tell because one tiny, insignificant glitch that was present in two screens of Ecclesia is no longer there. Whoop-de-doo.
  • More straightforward. No need to tinker with options to fix visual or audio glitches. It's a lot more stable in that regard.

Disadvantages:

• No emulator filters. Eh, I can live with this. I already do on GBA. Maybe I'll end up just moving away from filters period, after all this time.
  • Horrendous screen tearing in fullscreen, no vsync option to fix it. This might be the dealbreaker. Windowed mode fixes it, but I mean, it's pretty damn annoying to play with ugly Windows bars on the top and bottom. Never mind, there was vsync. It's just not in any of the menus, I had to go into the .ini file, find the variable and manually change it to 1. That seems to have fixed it.

Welp, I'm happy. Looks like I'm upgrading. I'll keep Desmume around, it's not very heavy, but I'll keep using this emu, see if it satisfies me going forward. Then I can increase the amount of things I agree with Armagon about to three!

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Threw a vote. Then I changed my mind and threw it another way.

Learn to spell your own name in Hell.

58 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

Rubenio = Nailah

Dude, she's not even the original.

36 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

If and only if I had a waifu, it wouldn't be Ludmila.

Who is this Ludmila, anyway? She has the name of a villain. Or a pianist. Either one works.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, this emulator has no screenshotting feature?

That's... wow, that's awful. I don't think I've ever seen any emulators that don't have this...

Thought Process: "Print Screen Key exists, so why bother."

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, this emulator has no screenshotting feature?

That's... wow, that's awful. I don't think I've ever seen any emulators that don't have this...

DeSmuME has a built in screenshot feature?

Just now, WraithReborn said:

*Wraith whistles to himself before checking his watch*

That's in reference to the hat and twintails part.

Since his RF4 waifu also has them.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thought Process: "Print Screen Key exists, so why bother."

That seems to be the thought process indeed, from what I've found online. The problem with this mindset is that most emulators with a screenshotting feature take screenshots in the game's native resolution. And well, needless to say, there's a slight difference between this

https://images2.imgbox.com/1e/7f/KF8oi4d1_o.png

And this

https://images2.imgbox.com/24/6f/jx3DZoTv_o.png

Not to mention you have to get out of the game, paste the image onto an image editor and manually save. Not great, all in all.

Also, this one's lagging a bit, and I'm pretty sure it's not the computer because the icon says it's still charging properly. Changing the renderer to OpenGL fixes the FPS drops, but it restores the screen tearing. Nice trade-off.

Also also, the speed up function is way worse.

Yeaaaaaaaaaah having second thoughts now. This emulator is not all it was made out to be. Far too many issues. Small-ish issues, sure, but they pile up, and then again, my Desmume build only had one tiny issue in a single game that I could notice, and otherwise it was perfectly fine, so... Yeah, no. Maybe I'll check it out once it develops further, but this is too unpolished right now.

Just now, Sooks said:

DeSmuME has a built in screenshot feature?

Yep. You press F12 and you're done, emu generates a snapshot in a designated folder. Easy as pie.

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

FQMe4WoX0AM2h1W?format=jpg&name=large

miss masochist, right here

Ah.

That's a funny line. And also a very punchable line. She's punchable. Can I punch her? No wait, the way you describe her, she'd probably enjoy it...

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

there's a slight difference between this

https://images2.imgbox.com/1e/7f/KF8oi4d1_o.png

And this

https://images2.imgbox.com/24/6f/jx3DZoTv_o.png

Yeah, that doesn't really help me. Since I'd first think the difference is because one image is larger than the other.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Hey don’t get so down Twilit! I’m not saying anything. All I know this that I have the strangest urge to read Victor Hugo’s Notre-Dame de Paris for some reason.

Okay, actually, I may've been unfair with the emulator. It was lagging slightly, sure, but I just did a quick comparison, and it runs better than the old Desmume build, period. So much smoother, whenever it's not stuttering. Also, the stuttering seems to have disappeared...? So maybe it was the computer after all? I can never tell these days... But then the screen tearing seems to have returned! For no reason!

Eeeeeh. I don't know. Will require further testing. The screenshot thing is definitely a flaw, that much I know, but otherwise I just can't tell how much of this is me going insane and how much is this emulator being flawed.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, that doesn't really help me. Since I'd first think the difference is because one image is larger than the other.

The screens are also horizontal and there's those thick black borders on the top and bottom. And, of course, this isn't something you can see, but there's the extra hassle of having to paste the images onto an editor and manually save them, as opposed to just pressing a button and forgetting about it.

...Ahh well, still. Xbox Game Bar, clutch as always, has a screenshotting feature that I've never used because I never needed it. Perhaps I could use that, if worse comes to worst. It would at least remove the hassle part.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

she would

but hey, as an M yourself I'm sure you can rela-

I'd play switch for her if she would.

Just now, GuardianSing said:

I've dropped in on a very interesting conversation it seems.

Ah GuardianSing, perfect timing. Do you also wish to join me in a reading challenge to get through Victor Hugo’s Notre-Dame de Paris?

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I don't even know how we got here

This:

1 hour ago, WraithReborn said:

So:

Twilit = Ludmila

Rubenio = Nailah

We just need to learn the waifus of everyone else.

So blame Wraith.