Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm warning you, PoR is peak anime influence on Castlevania (barring the Castlevania: Judgement spinoff released shortly thereafter). Ecclesia yanked away the anime after DoS and PoR let it in. (IIRC, in Japan, DoS and PoR both tried changing the franchise's title from "Akumajo Dracula" (Demon Castle Dracula) to the international "Castlevania". Japanese fans didn't like this, and OoE changed it back.)

...?

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

...?

Yes, I know Castlevania had anime influence for years prior to Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. Pretty boy Alucard classifies as well. It the kind of "anime" and how it was expressed that changed -or so I suppose some would argue.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Isolated Isles really is the worst part of Forgotten Land tbh.

I said this but 

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

gsdx-20220413180018.png

6Kv50hB.jpeg

Just posting another series where characters opens up their special attack with a haiku (a different haiku for each if they have multiple).

So glad Gunvolt 3 is bringing these back after iX 2 didn't for some reason.

Edited by Armagon

Basically Portrait of Ruin is written like a children's show. To the point that when Vincent is affected by vampirism, it's played entirely for comedy and Charlotte breaks the fourth wall to ask the player to look at her 16 year old boobs.

Heck, Castlevania 64 had a very stereotypical "anime" artstyle too. And that game was atmospheric and intense as hell. It's nothing like Portrait of Ruin.

Also, can I just point out that someone thought freaking World War II was the perfect backdrop for the most lighthearted and goofy Castlevania entry? Just what the hell where they thinking?

Edited by BrightBow

The final sword upgrade is incredibly busted, like it literally snaps the game in two.

Granted, it's only real use is gonna be for it's Treasure Road and the Ultimate Arena Z. But damn bro, that shit busted.

I also love it's description. "For Kirby, handling this power.......is a breeze".

27 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wait, they released another Kirby game!?

Bruh, it's like Nintendo's big spring release. Have you really not heard about Forgotten Land at all?

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I also love it's description. "For Kirby, handling this power.......is a breeze".

A Spring Breeze.😛

*Ahem* You'll get the reference later.

Really funneling the inversion of a major story trope in just eight words there. No explosive radioactivity, no corrupting insanity, no devouring of one's own soul, no stripping away at one's senses and memories, no drain on the stability and health of the universe. No need to unlock the power in the first place through physical, mental, and emotional ordeals and development, nor via acquiring additional legendary items. Sorry *Insert JRPG (or select Western superheroes) protagonist here*, Kirby from start to finish is greater than you after five dozen hours of plot.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I have returned! Edmonton itself... Well, it kinda sucks, but the trip was amazing. Some of my peers are incredibly talented, I wish I could show you their performance of Spain. It genuinely took my breath away. Glad to be back home, though! I never realized how pretty it is here, but I suppose the grey expanses of Edmonton show me just how good I have it.

...And I must once more mention the cursed urinals with handles, I still haven't gotten over them.

IMG_20220413_232308.jpg

Haha.

You know, after Forgotten Land, i fully hope that Waddle Dees are completely removed from Kirby's rogues gallery. I remember they were enemies despite Bandana Dee debuting in Return to Dreamland,  not too sure about Robobot and i didn't play Triple Deluxe and Star Allies.

Also this game is i think the first one to not feature Waddle Doos at all. Not a single one. I didn't realize until i realized that the classic Beam Kirby is no where in sight (but Space Ranger Kirby is effectively the same thing).

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Really funneling the inversion of a major story trope in just eight words there. No explosive radioactivity, no corrupting insanity, no devouring of one's own soul, no stripping away at one's senses and memories, no drain on the stability and health of the universe. No need to unlock the power in the first place through physical, mental, and emotional ordeals and development, nor via acquiring additional legendary items. Sorry *Insert JRPG (or select Western superheroes) protagonist here*, Kirby from start to finish is greater than you after five dozen hours of plot.

Kirby truly is the most powerful fictional character ever. 

18 minutes ago, Benice said:

...And I must once more mention the cursed urinals with handles, I still haven't gotten over them.

Hmm...

Well, if Max & Jack are alone, and think they can get it done before someone walks in, maybe Jack holds on to the handles during a quick but wild rodeo? -Just a thought my very somnolent brain is having.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also this game is i think the first one to not feature Waddle Doos at all. Not a single one.

I'm pretty sure they weren't in Kirby's Dream Land 3, as I don't remember any Animal Friend Copy Abilities involving Beam. Probably not in KDL2 then either. Just one Waddle Doo can be found in the Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards- the last of the Dark Matter Trilogy games (which is more appearances than Meta Knight got during the entire trilogy).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, if Max & Jack are alone, and think they can get it done before someone walks in, maybe Jack holds on to the handles during a quick but wild rodeo? -Just a thought my very somnolent brain is having.

People were joking about that the whole time here too, don't you worry! As well as whether or not a McDonald's urinal fetish was a thing, as that was the only other conceivable thing we could think of

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok this made up for it. Forgo Isles done. All that's left is Ultimate Arena Z, the final Treasure Road, and the gachapon.

Spoiler

Oh yeah, that omnious butterfly made an unexpected return.

Anyways good luck!

I think you need it the most fpr the gachapon.

Actually it was balanced fairly, could get all capsules with way less attempts than expected.

I started a new game yesterday which is Super Mario Sunshine (part of the 35th anniversary triology for Switch)

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

When i looked it up, all i got were results saying there is no fast-forward.

Turns out there's a sort-of workaround where you fuck around with the framerate but it's not "just press button to go fast". Like how it is on GBA and Dolphin.

No no, I mean it. It does have speed up. Not a workaround, proper speed up. How old are the results you've seen? It may've been a relatively recent addition.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Considering I don't mind Square like some Teehee members, I'll go for LaL sooner or later for sure myself. Even if I'm not exactly excited for the game. I'll probably buy those Front Mission ports they've announced too.

Of course. I'll fully admit half of my excitement here is because I played this game when I was 14. Good ol' nostalgia power. The game's pretty good nonetheless, though. I am fairly certain it would've caught my eye eventually, had I not played the original. Experimental and original games like this are my jam.

For me, eroticism is an affirmation of the joy of life. Of living in the moment. Of forgetting that damnable memento mori. In carnal enthrallment, I find a sense of serenity, security, salvation.

I'm not smart enough to come up with a witty response to this.

So uh, wee wee hard. There.

I'm warning you, PoR is peak anime influence on Castlevania

Oh yeah, I know that full well. I don't really care, frankly. It may not have Ecclesia's god-tier artstyle or its surprisingly solid story, but if I refused to play any games that are worse than Ecclesia in any way, I'd have very few games left to play!

6 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Basically Portrait of Ruin is written like a children's show. To the point that when Vincent is affected by vampirism, it's played entirely for comedy and Charlotte breaks the fourth wall to ask the player to look at her 16 year old boobs.

Ahhh... That kind of anime.

Eh. Castlevania stories are all pretty whatever except for Ecclesia. And even Ecclesia is super minimalistic, it's just that what is there is great.

It's really not what anyone's here for. I just want to jump around and beat up monsters.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Some of my peers are incredibly talented, I wish I could show you their performance of Spain.

If they didn't eat paella, it's not a good performance.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

As well as whether or not a McDonald's urinal fetish was a thing

Excuse me, may I inquire as to what?

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

19.png

Death Flag: Stonks

"This time not to "use" her..."

I dunno about death flags, but that seems like a massive toxic relationship flag, right there.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"This time not to "use" her..."

I dunno about death flags, but that seems like a massive toxic relationship flag, right there.

It's not what you're thinking xD

Basically, it's a revenge story, and you could say they were "Partners", but now that the revenge is "done", he wants it to be something genuine...

Except she knows that his mother's killer is still loose (but doesn't wanna tell him because he finally started being happy), and she's really really really smart, and it's a common trope in revenge stories for something to re-ignite the "need for revenge".

Edited by Shrimpolaris

"But that can't be right!? You've been so friendly and kind to me before!"

Yes, in all of the... one conversation you've shared with him in your life. He was polite to you that one time, so surely that means he couldn't possibly be the main villain!

You're so silly, Castlevania plots.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

It's not what you're thinking xD

Basically, it's a revenge story, and you could say they were "Partners", but now that the revenge is "done", he wants it to be something genuine...

Except she knows that his mother's killer is still loose (but doesn't wanna tell him because he finally started being happy), and she's really really really smart, and it's a common trope in revenge stories for something to re-ignite the "need for revenge".

Ah, I see. Well, I hope it turns out to not be as predictable as that!

7 hours ago, Benice said:

I have returned! Edmonton itself... Well, it kinda sucks, but the trip was amazing. Some of my peers are incredibly talented, I wish I could show you their performance of Spain. It genuinely took my breath away. Glad to be back home, though! I never realized how pretty it is here, but I suppose the grey expanses of Edmonton show me just how good I have it.

Welcome back, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Bruh, it's like Nintendo's big spring release. Have you really not heard about Forgotten Land at all?

I haven't really turned my Switch on in a while, and i don't constantly read up on releases unless it's something i'm seriously interested in.

Played a little more Elden Ring, and I got a little distracted on my way to that castle on Stormhill the story wants me to go to. Clearing out the Fringefolk Hero's Grave requires arrows at some points, and while going out to grind for more arrows I discovered that my map marked a cave I never actually saw, but did pass close enough to during  my wanderings, the Coastal Cave, and within was the monkey man from before, all beaten up by the entrance. So I cleared the little cave out, it did end with a double boss fight with two Chieftains. It took three tries, but I was able to sneak up on one of them, and power through it, and the starting minions before the second boss really joined the fray, and from there it was a cake walk. I got some sewing equipment for monkey man, and the cave lead to a temple where I could learn some dragon magic. I don't have the stats for any of them now, but I might end up learning some eventually (as it looks like I already stumbled on the items required to use it). After that I did end up clearing out Fringefolk Hero's Grave, although the Ulcerated Tree Spirit boss at the bottom was rather tough to beat, especially with its fire explosion attack, and figuring out which of its writhing spasms was actually an attack, but I did manage eventually. Then I got distracted by an odd circle on the map, only a little out of the way from the castle, and discovered a Crucible Knight boss fight. I tried it a few times, but was feeling tired enough that I decided to put it off until later.

I must admit, I'm glad I didn't let the mediocre first stretch dissuade me from continuing. Aria has definitely gotten better. From Headhunter onwards, the difficulty has ramped up and the quality of the bosses has much improved. Mostly because they've stopped doing the "tough enemy is a boss early on and appears later as a regular enemy" thing. They did it once in Ecclesia and it was cool, but Aria does it three times, it overstays its welcome here.

A weak beginning, to be sure, but I'm seeing now why everyone loves this game so much. Is it better than Ecclesia? Absolutely not, nor is it better than Bloodstained, but it's a fair entry still. Solid Igavania. It probably is better than Dawn of Sorrow, but again, I played that one so many years ago that I hesitate to make a judgment.