Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Not by Fusion honestly.

2's all about that though.

Yeah, but even Fusion specifically requires you kill Metroids, both directly and indirectly to complete the game. So hard not to think of it that way. Hell even Other M where she won't shut up about the baby Metroid's death... also has her killing it's clones. Something about dangerous alien parasites that look kind of like jellyfish just seems to lead to Samus killing them.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Check my hard drive… how do I do that?

Let's start with a simple chkdsk (google how to use that)

But before that...

Also see if anyone changed admin rights or something and stopped you from dl'ing files.

Can you still copy files from a USB/CD/DVD to pc?

6 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

This could take several hours tho depending on how much hard drive there is.

@Sooks doing a bit of googling I have a few things for you to try.

First clear your Browser Cache. Second disable your extensions. Third make sure your browser is up to date.

The two extra dumb ones are restart your computer, and try downloading in incognito mode.

The most extreme thing you can do is go into the registry ( open up Regedit) and find your way to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Policies\Attachments

If there isn't an Attachments one in Policies, create it by right clicking choosing New, and then Key, and rename it Attachments.

Then in that Attachments folder right click, choose New, DWORD(32-bit) name it ScanWithAntiVirus, and setting that to 1. This should prevent Microsoft from doing the attachment scanning step entirely, but you really shouldn't keep that on for very long, as it puts your system at risk...

20 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Seems simple enough.

Also see if anyone changed admin rights or something and stopped you from dl'ing files.

I mean, I’m the only one who uses my laptop, but I checked for the heck of it and everything is fine there.

Can you still copy files from a USB/CD/DVD to pc?

Didn’t try since I’m unsure how that would fix the problem.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This could take several hours tho depending on how much hard drive there is.

I meaaaan several hours for a working laptop is better than not having a working laptop.

12 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

@Sooks doing a bit of googling I have a few things for you to try.

First clear your Browser Cache. Second disable your extensions. Third make sure your browser is up to date.

The two extra dumb ones are restart your computer, and try downloading in incognito mode.

I’ve done all five of these. Very bold of you to assume I wasn’t on incognito mode in the first place.

The most extreme thing you can do is go into the registry

Eeeehhh…

(open up Regedit) and find your way to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Policies\Attachments

If there isn't an Attachments one in Policies, create it by right clicking choosing New, and then Key, and rename it Attachments.

Then in that Attachments folder right click, choose New, DWORD(32-bit) name it ScanWithAntiVirus, and setting that to 1. This should prevent Microsoft from doing the attachment scanning step entirely, but you really shouldn't keep that on for very long, as it puts your system at risk...

Yeah, but even if I did this, that wouldn’t fix the problem. I get that error message for every file I try to download, and I’d rather not registry edit every time I want to download something.

And I DEFINITELY don’t want antivirus disabled while I search for Tellius roms, no way.

Thank you though!

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Hmm, i dunno if registry editing is something Sooks should attempt

lj8x8dqeooy01.png?width=115&auto=webp&s=

He has to be really careful there

Yep…

Guess I can try the thing that might take several hours. I’ll just leave my laptop plugged up.

Edited by Sooks

Didn’t try since I’m unsure how that would fix the problem.

If you can't copy files that could mean something is stopping you from writing data onto the hard drive.

I suggest you try it before chkdsk

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

meaaaan several hours for a working laptop is better than not having a working laptop

I agree, i'm just saying see if it can be resolved without doing this first. If not, do it.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And I DEFINITELY don’t want antivirus disabled while I search for Tellius roms, no way.

Use Vimm's Lair. It's safe.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

If you can't copy files that could mean something is stopping you from writing data onto the hard drive.

I suggest you try it before chkdsk

My laptop doesn’t have a CD/DVD drive, but I could try something with a USB.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I agree, i'm just saying see if it can be resolved without doing this first. If not, do it.

I mean, I already tried the obvious things + the results when I googled the problem, as well as all teehee’s other advice.

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

Use Vimm's Lair. It's safe.

Thank you!

@Shrimpolaris Yep, I can copy files onto my laptop through a USB.

Hmm

Did you check anti-virus and windows security settings?

Maybe you accidentally activated strict option or something?

Edited by Shrimpolaris

Hmm

Did you check anti-virus and windows security settings?

Maybe you accidentally activated strict option or something?

Oh yeah, and even if I did I tried it with both disabled and it still wouldn’t work.

2022032410211400-9AAE8CBB5B167778FD587A2

Game be getting 8s & 9s. I might like it (my initial reason for interest is that Yuzo Koshiro heads the dev studio, the man who composed the excellent Etrian Odyssey soundtracks), and it's less than $20. And yet, the fact it seems to be best enjoyed as a multiplayer experience is weighing on me, Tri-Force Heroes burnt me on "intended to be multi, but can be played alone" style of game. No friends, and I'm almost certainly never spending for NSO, so solo it'd have to be. Although the reviews seem to have been played mostly solo and still rated it highly. It'd have to be a lower difficulty though, since apparently nothing scales.

*Looks at Wikipedia* ...What do you mean Car Battler Joe is a Koshiro-composed game? The soundtrack wasn't notable or anything, but I played a fair deal of it back in my youthful years. I'm a little surprised my first experience with Koshiro goes back further than I thought. I wouldn't mind a sequel to this very obscure title, as mega extremely unlikely as it is.

14 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

The gameplay in Portrait of Ruin is really good though. Moreso if you enjoy the sidequests (which I actually do mostly, though the "level this subweapon fully" ones can be a bit grindy). Enemy design is pretty top notch. Locations are really good (you're not just exploring the castle). The weapon variety is great, as is the subweapon variety. I really like Portrait of Ruin. Though that could be bias from it being related to Bloodlines, which was one of my first games in the series.

As PoR was the sixth Igavania by this point, you can say the franchise was getting stagnant. Yet for whatever it lacks in creativity, Portrait of Ruin is still fairly good, a well-worn formula means execution can in hypothesis be done well, and PoR, if not the greatest Igavania, is competent at a bare minimum.

13 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

So, you know how one of the last things I did in March was complain that the laptop was done with my shit?

Yeah, it got worse. As in, I couldn't use it effectively at all. There's been a lot going on besides that though so naturally SF wasn't happening if trying to type on mobile was a non-starter. But yeah, may as well get on that.

Welcome back Dayni! 😃

I hope things are getting better for you.

As I implied with that line about transition, I moved out! Sadly no vocation but I spent the last two weeks trying to practice for a driving test I ended up failing

My sympathies. My word of advice- you can't fail a driving test you haven't scheduled. Hahahahaha... ha?😰

and working on a back yard.

Also surprisingly understandable.

I played through Trials of Mana over the course of a few days and found it more unintentionally funny than I anticipated

Not a bad game I'd say. It could've used a little more combat nuance and more character interactions, but I found it enjoyable. I've been meaning to do a fourth run of the game, but, backlog.

So, from what I can tell a lot was missed by me being gone. Just going to reply to quotes because I cannot convince myself to read through all the pages.

To give a quick summary on my gaming since your sudden departure, there hasn't been too much.

Shortly after you left, I dropped Xenosaga Episode I and watched the rest on YouTube, something in the gameplay I just wasn't doing right. I haven't watched & played the rest of Xenosaga yet.

Then *checks* three days after your departure, I started on this:

20220312121843-1.jpg

-Which I then abruptly put into cryostasis a few days after starting it.

After that, I played through more than half of Berwick Saga and enjoyed it. Many many many reloads, but I was definitely having fun. Until Chapter 10's main mission impaled me on its very first few enemies, which I managed to get past, but was drained from the experience with the rest of the menacing map yet to be won (urban warfare in not-FE the likes of which has never been seen before). So it was that I put the game on a prolonged pause, though I do intend to get back to it at some point.

Following that, I jumped from medieval to sci-fi, from plain animations to spectacular animations, from countless reloads to great ease, all whilst remaining within the confines of the SRPG genre. That being a return to Super Robot Wars Original Generations, tackling Original Generation 2 portion of the game several months after I had finished OG1. I remain in the middle of this wonderfully nostalgic trip, having three more final battles to go before I emerge victorious and the Earth is forever safe once more. And by "forever", I mean probably a couple months at best in-universe time. OG Gaiden gotta happen, and then at least three more super robot wars after that.

10 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Can't say I felt it was all that quick myself.

I was also waiting a half hour inside on top of that because it was raining outside.

At least it wasn't "raining" inside.

Got a real kick out of reading this splendidly written bad experience when I stumbled on it.😄

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

masmdas.PNG.fb4454c249a3e749ee05ef9e0ddd75e1.PNG

I really like in depth descriptions like this. I like the joke reasons as much as the next guy but the goal of this project is to get to know each other better through our fictional crushes, or even just characters we like, so stuff like this is greatly appreciated.

...Or maybe it's another joke response and I'm missing something

Oh no, it's entirely honest. I was afraid I went too in-depth.

I'm just one of 7 billion presently living humans, with many more having lived before me and -hopefully- many more yet to come. Why hide oneself if speaking truth isn't a danger to oneself then? I shouldn't be embarrassed, because if I could jump from the Internet to the Akashic Records, a quick Google search (yes, the records of all that is, has been, and will ever exist runs on Google) ought to reveal a number of hits that would require *10^Something to express.

It started with Bravely Default, I put Tiz in the Monk class -one of the first two you get- and I noticed his bare upper back. There was a certain unease I felt look at those pixels, which I later took (not sure when) to understand as a physical attraction. This gradually came to be wedded to an attraction to Tiz's personality. A few years later (⚠️WARNING! THIS SUPREMELY LIKELY MEGA DEFINITELY GOES INTO "TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" TERRITORY! YOUR MIND HAS BEEN WARNED!⚠️)

Spoiler

I spoke with a counselor at my university. The therapy service was free for all students, and I undertook several visits to talk about my depression. On the first visit -the first visit only- I vaguely mentioned that I had some sexual fantasies. I didn't say or whom or of what, I didn't say that they were homoerotic, just that they were just that I had sexual fantasies, which the counselor said being just thoughts was fine. As I made this erotic aside from the depression talk, Tiz Arrior, now in his Bravely Second version, entered the forefront of my mind. 

When the 30-minutes mental health session was over... I immediately headed towards a public restroom and walked into a stall. I could feel myself rapidly rising and the moment I peaked I made an involuntary wet mess in my underwear as I was confessing to the psychologist.😅 It was so fast and uncontrolled that I know there was no way I could've restrained any of it, the floodgates were destined to give way as soon as I had shyly opened my mouth on the topic. My penis had an oblivious mind of its own. It didn't care that it was pressing against soft cloth, and that my pants weren't on the ground with a toilet in front of it to release into, the way my brain usually thinks that those are very serious problems. It became aroused, it got hard, it excreted semen, it retracted, as simple as that.

Needless it be said, I was embarrassed.😳 For a dorm-dweller, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. After all, they study, eat, drink, party, shower, and sleep at school, and everybody knows that more than a few college students go humping in the buildings of higher education. But, I was a commuter at my university. That my phallus failed to be socially conscious and soiled myself on campus grounds, in an office two floors above a cafeteria where students were busy coming and going on their daily business eating and coming from or heading to class passing by bulletin boards with school activities listed for the month, felt like I was defiling the sacred institution. 

I didn't say a word of anything of this to the psychologist, even if I could've and should've. People have talked sex with mental health professional before, it would be no surprise at all if a few had unwanted ejaculations during those conversations. And therapists won't judge. Perhaps most humiliating of all in retrospect, is that I had said so very little of my attraction to pixelated men, and yet had such a catastrophic reaction. How virgin was I? Needless it be said, this once-in-a-lifetime event has stuck in my memory, the only thing stickier than my briefs that afternoon.

Thanks Tiz.🤣

-I hadn't written down this unforgettable experience for posterity before, though I've wanted to. Sorry if I chose the wrong time and place doing it here and now.😆

Kicking Agnes off a cliff? Well I'm half-joking there. If I want Tiz to be mine, she has to go. I will relish the sound of her shout of "Unacceptabllllllllllllllllllllle!" as she approaches terminal velocity. Don't worry, I placed a dimensional portal at the bottom of the cliff that'll activate right before impact. It'll send Agnes to meet a parallel dimension Tiz shoved off a cliff by someone who wanted an Agnes to call their own.

*Ahem* Now, to speak more seriously. Sometimes, even if I don't love the ship, I find fictional characters in a loving relationship to be something I can't intrude on. I won't say I'm turned off from the person of interest, it's just that I'm too courteous to separate two fictional individuals. With Tiz & Agnes, I'm willing to drive a wedge between them. A divorce, which in my case comes with another form of forcefulness born from desire. That being, since I'm gay and 99% of fictional characters are written as straight, I'm yanking them away from their canonical sexual preferences. But alas, it's something I have to do, and they're fictional -so it ain't actually that bad.

Since Bravely Default and Bravely Second are JRPGs with a class system, they are fortunate enough to come with visual makeovers based for each class. While they are primitive 3DS 3D models, here are two of my favorites for Tiz (I subjectively admit he doesn't wear every class the best, even if I like him in most).:

BS-Tiz-Kitsune.pngBS-Tiz-Red-Mage.png

Yokai and Red Mage. I would include Hawkeye, except I can't find a good image of Tiz specifically in the international cowboy attire for the class (he could put handcuffs on me any day of the week), only its Japan-only Native American version (which has a vest with no shirt and a some body paint on his chest, so, me like).

It's interesting with Tiz, because in Bravely Default his appearances in the various classes were "boyish", which is say youthful and innocent, but not "shota". Ringabel was the male with the "suave, debonair, daring, cold ladykiller, mature" feel to his class appearances. With the passage of perhaps about a year (I forget how long elapses between the two games) and the removal of Ringabel from the playable quartet in Bravely Second, the aesthetics changed. The new hero -Yew- was assigned the "boyish" (as if his mother dressed him up for school picture day I could describe it as) and perhaps "generic" style, while Tiz regarded now as being a veteran hero and older than Yew, took over as the "mature" male in the fashion department. Although Tiz's approach to maturity is different from Ringabel's. Tiz looks like a bad boy, in a boy band way, whereas Ringabel came off more as a British gentleman in something of a James Bond mold. -Although as I said in my response, Tiz in BS might look bad boy, but in personality, he remains someone who would raise not a single red flag if you had them meet your parents for the first time. He'd be more likely to schmooze them over without actually intending to, simply because he is a very kind guy.

(On all this fashion talk, the females of Bravely underwent a smaller change, but one nonetheless. Edea remained "sexy cute", strong, and tomboyish in both BD and BS. Agnes had a "conservative" approach to the concept of beauty and elegance in BD, befitting her purity and piety -except with the outfits that the developers decided had to be threadbare on the females. Magnolia replaced Agnes in BS with a notion of beauty that was less modest and more sexy, retaining an aura of elegance.)

And for optional bonus costumes without associated classes that you can toss on your characters, Tiz gets this in BS.:

BS-Censored4.png

The Wakoku Wear or "Eastern War Garb" as it is called in translation. To the left is the Japanese version, to the right the international coverup. Ringabel proudly could wear this in Japanese version Bravely Default, with him gone in Bravely Second, Tiz had to step to the plate. I actually like both designs. The international redo makes is sorta cool, like something befitting an Olympian god, with the long white scarf as if like wings. The Japanese version mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh!😍

I still love ya Tizzy!😘

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/88/93/sBuA8zOH_o.png

Ahahahaha, the tiny windmill on his helmet! That's perfect!

This game's so great. It has paellas and Don Quijote. It speaks to me on a patriotic level.

Reminds me that I should probably book tickets for the ballet of the same name. The quixotic Don is basically a spectator who doesn't dance at all in the adaptation, and the plot -speechless as always for a classical ballet- is practically nonexistent. But, the happy vibrance of the choreography and music make it a pillar of the classical ballet repertoire on par with Swan Lake and The Nutcracker.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Death looks silly in this game. He has a sort of big armor shell around his death robe. Then again, everyone looks silly in this game. This artstyle does not suit Castlevania at all.

I agree with this. Although his Castlevania: Judgement self is probably worse, and so would be the Death... snake? that he turns into halfway into his Harmony of Dissonance battle.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Food for thought. We're just thirteen years away from the year that Aria of Sorrow happens...

I shouldn't be a big deal. I'm more concerned about Dawn of Sorrow and its bad ending.

Speaking of video games with IRL contemporary years, 7th Dragon 2020 was scarily on the mark. No poisonous dragon flowers or True Dragons annihilating most of the world's population IRL., but to say reality didn't feel a little apocalyptic would be no small lie.

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

MY SIDES!

M9hoodrj o

Cut-ins that emphasize the breasts, including breast windows. As I play through Original Generations at the moment, I take notice of how practically every character wears a full-body pilot suit or fairly normal clothing, and that the dialogue portraits fail to show all if any of the womens' busts. And thus, SRW has no choice but to put emphasis on the boingy bits during cut-ins for the ladies, because they need to find a way to express the horniess that is otherwise constrained to the bountiful between-battles banter.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

GrimGrimoire-OnceMore_2022_04-14-22_007-

Oh that's an S-tier design right there. Funny name too, Advocat.

Reading the little blurb on him, I'm liking the "promises not to steal souls, but will accept them if offered" factoid. Malevolent just enough that you need to keep an eye on him, though you can hope the worst is ruled out.

And it has just dawned on me his name is like a reference to the phrase "devil's advocate".

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

105829.jpg

Dude looks like he could take over for Odette. Or maybe with all the blues, he could stylishly establish an ice kingdom in Winterhorn Ridge.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it's about what i expected tbh. Grass, red sword, big giant thing in the center. Yes sir, that's Xenoblade all right sad X noises.

The XC box art approach is getting a little boring at this point. Could they have at least changed the color of the number? I will say the red "2" looked a little cheap on XC2. -Just don't make the number blue, if XC is be traditionally red, XCX -once it gets that sequel- should be kept distinct by emphasizing the color blue.

Although, the title screen and box art of XCX is still sky & a green landscape when you break it down to its most rudimentary elements. XCX's title screen and cover aren't wholly dissimilar from the other ones.

The differences then, are.:

• The off-center angle of the green landscape.
  • While the box art having the mains characters on it isn't unusual, XCX does the unusual by featuring them on the title screen, plus a Skell and some flying indigens. It cuts down on the feeling of a lifeless landscape painting as one can get with the other title screens.
  • More rugged terrain (as is the case with Primordia vs. Bionis's Leg and Gormott)
    • The area of green grass is much smaller too, it doesn't reach all the way across the screen horizontally. It's a jagged outcropping, not an empty open plain.
  • A darker sky.
  • We also get more artifice with the inclusion of NLA (even if XC1 had Mechonis a literal giant of artifice staring at you and a clairvoyant lightsaber in the ground with a scrap of Mechon nearby).
  • Musically, no9=MONOX starts with a prolonged period of calm, but is overall much more epic than the title screen music found in XC1 and Torna I forget XC2. Both of which also have an element of melancholy in the compositions I don't get with MONOX.

All of these add up to create a very distinctive impression compared to what has come before and since.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh yeah, and even if I did I tried it with both disabled and it still wouldn’t work.

Well, try chkdsk, although i am starting to doubtvit's the reason

You could also try reg editing like Eltosian mentioned, but be very very careful there

You could also try reg editing like Eltosian mentioned, but be very very careful there

o7

should I ask what can go wrong with registry editing?

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh no, it's entirely honest. I was afraid I went too in-depth.

No worries, mate. It was those type of descriptions I was hoping for.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I shouldn't be a big deal. I'm more concerned about Dawn of Sorrow and its bad ending.

Speaking of video games with IRL contemporary years, 7th Dragon 2020 was scarily on the mark. No poisonous dragon flowers or True Dragons annihilating most of the world's population IRL., but to say reality didn't feel a little apocalyptic would be no small lie.

Haha, well, what would be the chances? Besides, we know it's not the canon route. We even have a sequel novel that goes off from the good ending instead, with Count Orlox trying to succeed Dracula in flipping the light-switch at the Krusty Krab being the new Dark Lord, but is stopped by Julius' protégé.

Oh, hey, last month that movie turned 100!

If anyone needs an explanation: Orlox in Japan is Orlok, as in, the Nosferatu vampire. Orlox is either a mistranslation (possibly since he first showed up in Symphony of the Night) or they minded the copyright claim.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It worked! Thank you @Shrimpolaris and @Eltosian Kadath!

I really hope this problem doesn’t persist though, because if I have to turn off antivirus to download any file that kind of defeats the purpose…

But anyway, I will probably start Tellius tomorrow. Everyone get your popcorn ready. Will I love the games or hate them? Will I like Ike? Will I like Mia? Will I like Shinon? Will I drop RD in part 4? Stay tuned!

Edited by Sooks

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

It worked! Thank you @Shrimpolaris and @Eltosian Kadath!

I really hope this problem doesn’t persist though, because if I have to turn off antivirus to download any file that kind of defeats the purpose…

But anyway, I will probably start Tellius tomorrow. Everyone get your popcorn ready. Will I love the games or hate them? Will I like Ike? Will I like Mia? Will I like Shinon? Will I drop RD in part 4? Stay tuned!

Glad it worked, and hopefully you have fun with the Tellius games. Actually that reminds me that I started a FE9 Ironman a while back, and got really bored with it before finishing, perhaps I will be inspired to come back to it, we will see...

On 4/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, Armagon said:
  Hide contents

See, i knew who Morpho Knight was, but i didn't realize he was a recent addition to the Kirby lore. I have not played Star Allies, that game doesn't interest me too much.

Spoiler

Yeah, Morpho Knight = Galacta Knight as a butterfly

the most mysterious character(s) in Kirby

Star Allies is a mixed bag.

The main game is easy, so kinda boring, but the free DLC makes up for it gameplaywise but also plotwise.

Playing as a villain was quite fun for me, and the bossrushes were quite challenging (yet have to beat on highest difficulty).

However of the modern Kirby main games still the "weakest" part although not bad overall.