Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The gameplay of it. Everyone else agrees that the story is absolutely amazing. Or that's the impression I've gotten, at least.

Hey, I've always been consistent that my take is Awakening is the bottom of the barrel not because it doesn't measure up to the "masterpieces" surrounding it but because it's bad on a level I never thought was even possible.

If Path of Radiance is written badly, that just makes Awakening all the worse by comparison.

I mean, Lissa gets three lines to acknowledge the death of her sister who raised her.
The first two aren't even actual lines. They are:
NOOOOOO!
and
*Sob* *sniff* Emm... Oh, Emm...

And the third one is basically her flatout coming out and saying that from now on she will always talk as if her death never happend.
You can count me in! I'm tired of crying all the time. It's time to start punchin' stuff!

Where to even begin if you compare that to Mist?

This is her very first scene after Greil's death:

Ike: “…Father. This isn’t a dream, is it? This… This is all real.”

Ike: “Mist. The sun’s going down, and it’s getting cold. Come on. Let’s go.”

Mist: “…”

Ike: “Mist?”

Mist: “Oh…Oh, Ike…sniff…”

Ike: “Mist…”

Mist: “…W-why…Why?”

Ike: “I was at his side, but…I couldn’t save him. I’m sorry.”

Mist: “…Sniff…”

Ike: “It’s… It’s so unreal…”

Mist: “Dad’s gone… He’s gone, Ike. Sniff…And…I…don’t…I don’t know what to do…”

Ike: “Don’t worry. I’m here.”

Mist: “Bro-Brother…”

Ike: “I’ll lead the company…In Father’s stead…And I’ll protect you all. You, the princess…everyone. I’ll protect you. You’ll see.”

Mist: “Brother…Ike… No…”

Ike: “Mist?”

Mist: “I won’t allow it… I can’t lose you. Don’t you see? If you go, then I’ll be all alone…I won’t allow it.”

Ike: “I’m not going anywhere. I promise you, Mist…”

And I mean, that's just the start. Like, when they are later attacked that night by Daein forces and hopelessly outnumbered, Mist refuses the order to stay in hiding, preferring to die together with the rest of her family rather then surviving on her own.
She is shown smiling at the prospect of reuniting with her parents in dead. That's not something you want to see from a child.
And of course it's surviving this ordeal that convinced her to no longer stay in the base. Less to protect the others but to instead be able to die at their side should things prove too much for them.

I could be here for a while talking about this. This was just chapter 8 and 9 after all. But I think you see my point.

Exact same role as Lissa and yet it doesn't even begin to compare in regards to the creators actually giving a fuck.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 175.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Mist: “I won’t allow it… I can’t lose you. Don’t you see? If you go, then I’ll be all alone…I won’t allow it.”

Ike: “I’m not going anywhere. I promise you, Mist…”

Radiant Dawn be like:

👀

Seriously tho, stuff like this is why people love Tellius so much. Sure other games in the series have something similiar, but never like this

Edited by Shrimpolaris

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Radiant Dawn be like:

👀

I mean, the only version of the script that got translated was the one that was explicitly written to get rid of all that pesky character development.

Yamagami: Other than the dialogue scenes, which are integral to advancing the plot, there are also other scenes that, for example, reveal the kind of connection two characters have with each other. While these kind of scenes may be highly enjoyable for the Fire Emblem enthusiasts, for new players they might seem completely unnecessary, having no effect on how much they will enjoy the game.

In other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story. We’ve heard from the more casual players that the storyline was too hard to follow in our previous games, so we’ve thought out this new structure and have found it to be the best solution to this problem.

Edited by BrightBow

Let me take a break of discussing Jill to instead discuss the good PoR.

https://images2.imgbox.com/66/ec/4WDLY7JO_o.png

Ahahahahahahahah! Ahh, this artstyle! I love it. It's so bad.

Anyway, I'm struggling against this guy, but he'll fall sooner than later, I'm sure. I want to finish this game today. Let's see if I manage. I shouldn't have must left, just Evil Wrys and the final boss. Unless there's a whole another area behind the ray shields, but... Ehh, can't be too long even if there is, I'm sure. There's been enough padding with the four portrait areas, I'm sure.

30 minutes ago, Benice said:

Cursed images:

vyUwR72.png

I love how blurry the image is. It looks like the kind of thing that would be posted as an image of a beta or something like that.

Especially since his stats are all wrong... Growth Beard? No that's not right at all...!

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which is something of note, since for the most part PoR's story is mostly standard as far as FE stories go.

Right? Interesting, the whims of a fanbase. But well, I will admit that PoR does have a bit more depth than the rest, at that. It has a racism theme, for instance!

20 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Not really. Amazing by FE standards, sure (because most others suck ass) but not absolutely amazing

I guess I've just been spoiled by Berwick, then.

16 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, I don't really think the story is amazing, but I think out of all the games in the series, Path handles the balance between providing a quality story and characters the best. Best cast, with a solid story to complement it. And characters matter more than plot, IMO.

Yeah, of course. That's fair. You did say you enjoy the gameplay, too, so it makes sense that you'd consider it one of your favorites.

My only question is, how? How does one enjoy the gameplay of PoR?

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Shiharam atm

Dayuuummmm - 9GAG

"Sorry Jill, I would leave this sinking ship to join the side that's obviously in the right, isn't necessarily alligned with Begnion and currently counts my daughter as one of their own... But mommy said I'd be grounded if I didn't do as she said, so I better drown the civilians now! I've got no choice! None at all!"

"Too true dad, let me do that too."

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I could be here for a while talking about this. This was just chapter 8 and 9 after all. But I think you see my point.

Exact same role as Lissa and yet it doesn't even begin to compare in regards to the creators actually giving a fuck.

I do see your point, yes. But you're kind of making an unfair comparsion. Awakening has serious pacing issues, it's not a problem exclusive to Emmeryn. Why not compare it to Berw--

Oh wait, right. Reese is a psychopath and he has even less of a reaction when he loses people dear to him either.

You'd think Berwick would be exempt from my ranting, with how much I love it, but no. Instead I concentrate it all on Reese. I laugh at his pathetic attempt at a smile. Seriously, look at that! Can that be called a smile? It's barely two pixels off his regular face! I'm no artist and yet I could draw him a better smile in five minutes!

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

n other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story.

Galaxy brain

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, the only version of the script that got translated was the one that was explicitly written to get rid of all that pesky character development.

Yamagami: Other than the dialogue scenes, which are integral to advancing the plot, there are also other scenes that, for example, reveal the kind of connection two characters have with each other. While these kind of scenes may be highly enjoyable for the Fire Emblem enthusiasts, for new players they might seem completely unnecessary, having no effect on how much they will enjoy the game.

In other words, by taking out the scenes concentrating on character building, we hope that players new to the series will be able enjoy the game more by just concentrating on the main story. We’ve heard from the more casual players that the storyline was too hard to follow in our previous games, so we’ve thought out this new structure and have found it to be the best solution to this problem.

That's utterly incomprehensible. "Let's draw in more players by having less good stuff!"

Radiant Dawn would go on to sell less than the highly verbose Berwick Saga in Japan. So I guess that's mission failed.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do see your point, yes. But you're kind of making an unfair comparsion. Awakening has serious pacing issues, it's not a problem exclusive to Emmeryn. Why not compare it to Berw--

Oh wait, right. Reese is a psychopath and he has even less of a reaction when he loses people dear to him either.

Yeah. Like when they killed off recurring character Philla so suddenly you think the scene was meant to be funny. And naturally her death is forgotten instantly. That one doesn't even begin to compare to goddamn Geneology with Mahnya. Despite that game having such a barebone script.

Or in the chapter before that when they reduced the Hierarch. Lots of words are spend on him being the most trusted advisor of Emmeryn, who had been loyal for decades. And then in the very same scene he is revealed to have betrayed Emmeryn and is unceremoniously killed on the spot and never mentioned again.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's utterly incomprehensible. "Let's draw in more players by having less good stuff!"

Radiant Dawn would go on to sell less than the highly verbose Berwick Saga in Japan. So I guess that's mission failed.

Well, it's like it's stated:

the more casual players

Bring in more people and thus more money... but at what cost.

gsdx-20220424115746.pnggsdx-20220424115750.png

Huh, Gilliam must've gotten a concussion playing dodgeball. He doesn't outright remember ever having met Fighter Roar before. 

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Pretty much. You get used to it, it just lookd daunting.

Which, now that I think about it, "developing proper sight" describes a lot of activities in life besides many genres of video games. Playing sports is one, and spectating/judging sports counts too- a figure-skating or diving devotee/judge can find fascinating finesse in the details lost on casual watchers. The visual liberal arts like painting and sculpting call for an artist's trained eye, and it's helpful if you can develop the ability to accurately eyeball stuff when cooking. And for something we all must learn correct eye training for- driving. Aka, that thing which will always be more several magnitudes more difficult for me to get a confident grasp on than the most overwrought of Xenoblade UIs.😅

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/66/ec/4WDLY7JO_o.png

Ahahahahahahahah! Ahh, this artstyle! I love it. It's so bad.

What ya thoughts on his boss battle voice acting? Is A Painting OF THE SOUL! memeable to you?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Huh, Gilliam must've gotten a concussion playing dodgeball. He doesn't outright remember ever having met Fighter Roar before. 

Nice reference, hehehe.

But I feel that's basically what it is. Battle Dodgeball isn't considered canon, and thus Gilliam and Fighter Roar's meeting there is only meta-acknowledged.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

x6I9VOx.png

He is one point away from capping luck, which is going to bother me. But no one in this game needs literally any stat boosters, so I have zero reason not to throw them all at him because haha funny green numbers. That’s assuming there are any more Ashera Icons left in the game though… I don’t suppose there’s a secret shop where you can buy stat boosters in this one?

Congrats. If you can get the transfer mechanics to work on your notendo he will be +3 HP, +2 STR, +3 MAG, +4 LCK, +3 DEF, and +3 RES from the normal Sothe Bases.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Radiant Dawn Sothe's bases are so high that transfers don't necessarily do much for him. But since Luck goes above 20, you can potentially give him a lot more then what he starts with.

That is a lot more than I would expect any other unit to get from transfer bonuses...

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

And with the A-support, Jill turning into an enemy does not happen if she talks to her dad. Do you get anything if you finish the map like that or something?

Nope, it is just interesting to see. It is very rare for a Fire Emblem game to let an ally become an enemy, and I think it works with what they have done with Jill. Despite your misgivings about the character, the decision to protect the people she cares about, even if they are flawed human beings in the middle of making a mistake, is a fairly relatable convictions to have.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

That’s… kinda lame. Would’ve been cooler if you could complete her arc with an A support with the laguz Lethe especially because their support is just better anyway.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Also, if Jill does have a B Lethe support, she won't switch sides either. Though in that case the command to Talk simply won't be available at all.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I seem to recall reading in some places that a B support with Lethe would've done the job, but when we talked about this before, I checked again and the good wiki says it's just Mist, so... I'm not sure.

This talk about Lethe is a very common misconception that came about when people were digging into the rom of Path of Radiance early on, and found that both an A support with Mist, and an A support with Lethe (despite it being impossible to get to an A support with Lethe at that point) were able to keep her from switching sides.

As for my little Ironman

Chapter 20 was a breeze. I already got Jill’s A support with Mist, so it was safe to have her talk to her father, and I even tried to make her commit patricide, but alas i wasn’t paying enough attention and she broke her steel lance one hit before the kill, and I didn’t want to wait another turn, so Ike got the kill instead. Given Ike’s speech to her at the end of this chapter, this felt like a fitting way for that chapter to end.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Something tells me IS takeaway of that failure was that despite the proper script being banished into the rarely seen realm of Maniac Mode, they still needed to double down on making the story worse.

And I mean, they might be right. Awakening was a huge success, after all. And it's a game utterly devoid of any merit. Or even the mere ambition of having any.

Edited by BrightBow

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

https://images2.imgbox.com/8c/64/TBQ295yg_o.png

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What happened to you, man. You look ridiculous.

https://images2.imgbox.com/1f/81/iIy9TYLY_o.png

Man, I miss Ecclesia...

7 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

This is going to be my pfp when I play Berwick

I would love to see it.

Yeah. Like when they killed off recurring character Philla so suddenly you think the scene was meant to be funny. And naturally her death is forgotten instantly. That one doesn't even begin to compare to goddamn Geneology with Mahnya. Despite that game having such a barebone script.

Yeah... Mahnya's death is complete shit too, in my opinion, but Phila is even more empty. Like her character. Honestly, I'm not sure what the point of her even was...

Or in the chapter before that when they reduced the Hierarch. Lots of words are spend on him being the most trusted advisor of Emmeryn, who had been loyal for decades. And then in the very same scene he is revealed to have betrayed Emmeryn and is unceremoniously killed on the spot and never mentioned again.

Yes, I think we all know how I feel about the Hierarch at this point.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, it's like it's stated:

the more casual players

Bring in more people and thus more money... but at what cost.

Everything.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What ya thoughts on his boss battle voice acting? Is A Painting OF THE SOUL! memeable to you?

Hmm... The guy clearly was having fun. This game's got great voice acting, and Evil Wrys was no exception. But he just doesn't have the same charm as... I don't think I need to say a single word, you already know what I'm going to bring up.

Okay, maybe one word.

Die,

If you know, you know.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that statement came due to how paltry PoR sold, at least in Japan.

At least, if the data about the series' sales can be trusted, then PoR barely outsold Thracia in Japan. So they took the player comments and first applied it in Radiant Dawn and why Shadow Dragon was a minimalist remake for the most part. Again, if the data can be trusted, then it worked. RD outsold PoR in Japan (though not elsewhere), then SD outsold RD and PoR... but it was only a band-aid solution at best... until Awakening happened.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

22 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Hey, I've always been consistent that my take is Awakening is the bottom of the barrel not because it doesn't measure up to the "masterpieces" surrounding it but because it's bad on a level I never thought was even possible.

If Path of Radiance is written badly, that just makes Awakening all the worse by comparison.

I mean, Lissa gets three lines to acknowledge the death of her sister who raised her.
The first two aren't even actual lines. They are:
NOOOOOO!
and
*Sob* *sniff* Emm... Oh, Emm...

And the third one is basically her flatout coming out and saying that from now on she will always talk as if her death never happend.
You can count me in! I'm tired of crying all the time. It's time to start punchin' stuff!

In fairness, Lissa's supports with Henry go deeper in how she feels about Emmeryn's death, and how she's grown to hate all the fighting because of it. And you may not consider DLC canon but just incase, Lissa's conversations with Emm talk about that as well, saying she at times wished she was dead herself just so she could see her again.

I'm in the camp of people who think Awakening had a good story, is it a battle I'll win? No, not at all, but I'd sooner die on this hill than admit otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

https://images2.imgbox.com/8c/64/TBQ295yg_o.png

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

HWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What happened to you, man. You look ridiculous.

The 1940's happen. Hey, don't fault him for trying to catch up with the times.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, I think we all know how I feel about the Hierarch at this point.

It's the kind of thing that can't even be justified by the script being barebone or rushed, since the character has no business existing in the first place.

After all, they already send assassins inside the palace, thanks to Chrom putting a goddamn hole in the castle wall during training and just kinda covering it up with a blanket or something. Guess they never got around to fixing it either, considering Lucina knew about it, and she hadn't even be born yet.

Sorry, got a little sidetracked there. The point is that it was already established that Plegian troops can pretty much operate freely in Ylissean borders and have been before the story even started, so it's not like they suddenly needed a justification for this particular attack.

Edited by BrightBow

Even his laugh is bad. He just goes "ga ha ha ha ha." He gave a proper 10 second cackle in Ecclesia, where's that energy here? I don't think this is Dracula. He looks like a Spanish bullfighter, not the lord of darkness.

Anyway, I visited Vincent for a few mana potions, in case I feel like meteor cheesing. There was a whole scene where he claimed he heard we'd cursed the vampirism of the Godly Theme Sisters and politely asked to be extended that courtesy as well. Jonathan went "oh! (I forgot)". Then I bought some potions and left.

Give me the friends discount, you piece of shit. Then you get your cure.

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

I'm in the camp of people who think Awakening had a good story, is it a battle I'll win? No, not at all, but I'd sooner die on this hill than admit otherwise.

This isn't a fight you want to pick, Quetzal...

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

The 1940's happen. Hey, don't fault him for trying to catch up with the times.

I don't fault him, I just laugh really loud in his face.

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Then I shall die with no regrets.

...And a lot of loss of credibility.

It's alright. We'll just find you alive in a Paralogue sometime in the future...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Well, since i am finishing up Garonquest, time for the usual...

UNIT REVIEW

Spoiler

SsEFkcw.png

Garon, Teehee's favored Fates lord. Early on, pretty op and makes some maps quite a bit easier, but come late midgame, he starts falling off a bit because he can't double anyone, and starts getting doubled alot. Thankfully, his Sky high offenses and defense meant he never really became useless

Spoiler

yzAMZVZ.png

Odin Dank, the actual lord of the game. Just look at the amount of legendary weapons he has! I even gave him Leif's Light brand for good measure. Pretty strong and crits for days.

Spoiler

ZBnK15y.png

So this is what people mean by saying "Haitaka good". Even i had to give him the speed ring for a while so he could snowball

Spoiler

GQcHdKO.png

Ophelia. A mainstay whenever i play Fates. I decided to try her in a class i don't use much, and wow she good. NEver thought i'd see 27STR Ophelia in my life. Should try mixed Ophelia more

Spoiler

y1mmtEk.png

Wind boy the tank. Also S tier weapons go brrr.

Spoiler

Wcvohd4.png

Kilma, Odin's favoured Vantage partner. Attack stance double vantage so good.

Spoiler

3R30yVO.png

cf5.png

Sauce

Spoiler

sN7MxeZ.png

Captured mix attacker Falcon Knight with Lance Faire and Aegis? sign me up!

Spoiler

3sQk4cw.png

jWnxk5x.png

seriously tho, i didn't use him much, mainly because Kilma had Excalibur vantage and Iago just one shots stuff, still, having a personal brave tome helps with that skill set.

Spoiler

8VVDo83.png

Archer Niles not bad, even if he was slow until i gave him the other speed ring and then started to snowball.

Spoiler

JAVA0Df.png

Literally could one shot anything that wasn't an armor knight.

Spoiler

jRetMNN.png

D E L I C A T E
E
L
I
C
A
T
E

Spoiler

kI8yxZZ.png

Iago the one-shotter. Sky high mag, but frail and slow Miccy that you? Wait not enough Lck,

Staff access helped quite a bit, and he one shotted when needed.

Spoiler

UC0lQOE.png

Marth's latest Waifu.

Spoiler

c5t7mIl.png

Double seal ftw.

Spoiler

VROuew3.png

STR Ring helped her alooooooooooooooooooooooot.

Some thoughts about the hack:

• earlier on easier, later on harder than vanilla luna cq
  • memes ftw
  • Some maps were better (Ryoma's especially i really like what they did), other had too many dread fighters, annoying maps in vanilla were still annoying here (Fox hell....)
Edited by Shrimpolaris

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Especially since his stats are all wrong... Growth Beard? No that's not right at all...!

The person somehow got Ward levelled all the way down to there using that one Dark orb...

Ga ha ha ha ha

Heah

Ga ha ha ha ha

Heah

Ga ha ha ha ha

Heah

Ga ha ha ha ha

Bad moon

Ga ha ha ha ha

Heah

Jesus Christ, what is this voice acting? What happened to my boy? Where's the DANK INFERNO and the proper evil laughs?

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Then I shall die with no regrets.

...And a lot of loss of credibility.

Godspeed, soldier. I will always remember you for putting Gangrel in S tier.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Garon, Teehee's favored Fates lord.

I love him. I love that this hack exists, too.

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

So this is what people mean by saying "Haitaka good". Even i had to give him the speed ring for a while so he could snowball

I've always said it, man. Haitaka good.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Some thoughts about the hack:

• earlier on easier, later on harder than vanilla luna cq
  • memes ftw
  • Some maps were better (Ryoma's especially i really like what they did), other had too many dread fighters, annoying maps in vanilla were still annoying here (Fox hell....)

I see. Thanks for your impressions.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Double seal ftw.

Is this the one guy from Shura's boat map? He's really good in vanilla too.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

The person somehow got Ward levelled all the way down to there using that one Dark orb...

Amazing. Absolutely incredible. 10/10