• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly if FE wants to keep making cult the real antagonists, they should just do that from the start instead of pretending bad empire is the main bad guy.

i'd prefer if cult/evil/degraded dragon/mole people was removed completely.

People can be shitheads (with and without reasons), no need for evil magical plot device of doom to be a thing.

You can still have Dragons and Dark Mages or whatever. Just don't make degradation or whatever the reason for BBEG.

Rhea is the closest that came to what i wanted, as her motivations are pretty humanized (Betrayal, revenge, stability, etc.) but ofc. mole people have to be thing. Although i suspect they are more there to make people not dislike Edelgard as much.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Thracia's plot's biggest problem by far was the villains in general.

fair enough.

Imo tho Raydrik as the final boss would've fit better with Thracia than cult-kun.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Although i suspect they are more there to make people not dislike Edelgard as much.

Not suspect. Since the slitherers are also against Rhea. So they're totally there for Edelgard's moral benefit.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What FE really needs to do is hire good writers.

I remember the time they hired an LN writer or some shit and then they threw out half his script.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

In an ideal world, this would be it.

Funnily enough, Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance are like the only two games to avoid this bs.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

There's nothing more realistic than a group of evil people running the world behind the scenes

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Funnily enough, Shadow Dragon and Path of Radiance are like the only two games to avoid this bs.

>the game that literally started all these tropes

>managed to avoid this

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not suspect. Since the slitherers are also against Rhea. So they're totally there for Edelgard's moral benefit.

True enough.

Writers didn't want Edelgard to be wholly responsible for the some of the fucked up stuff she did, only partly. Cowards.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shadow Dragon

SD  has the whole degradation thing. And Gharnef...

and and...

it literally started the whole thing xD

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Path of Radiance are like the only two games to avoid this bs

And i suspect it's the main reason why many (including me) like PoR's story so much.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Path of Radiance goes the extra mile and just removes dark magic altogether. XD

Me who loves Dark Magic but hates Dark Cult:

im-feeling-a-lot-of-confusing-things-rig

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

There's nothing more realistic than a group of evil people running the world behind the scenes

The Organization is behind it all!

Edited by Shrimpolaris

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

SD  has the whole degradation thing. And Gharnef...

3 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

>the game that literally started all these tropes

>managed to avoid this

Medeus himself wasn't degraded tho. Gharnef.....didn't contribute much.

I mean, it's true to an extent about Shadow Dragon.

We don't really fight degenerated dragons in Shadow Dragon (aside from the degenerated wyverns the Macedonians use as mounts). And what dragons are there they are treated more as just another faction. Medeus is also driven by his desire of revenge against humanity, and restoration of the Golden Age of old. Dragon supremacy over the continent. So while being a dragon is important to his character, there is character at least.

Gharnef in Shadow Dragon doesn't have that much presence. He's more reactive, only bothering to fight the heroes because they are marching onto him (assaults on Khadein and Thabes). The most he bothers to do is put the brainwashed Tiki on the Fane of Raman to prevent Marth from getting the orbs, and even then it seems it only happens because Marth is heading there to begin with. Which makes sense, since between Imhullu, and having Elice hostage, and the Falchion and Aum Staff in his possession, he feels invincible... so he's content to just let everyone else duke it out, and ready to swoop in during the aftermath. Whatever schemes he had, he already did them, so he's just waiting. It's definitely a different approach from what "cults" in future games would do.

No no, there should be more evil dragons, evil dragons are cool, humans are boring. Doomsday cults and evil sorcerers can be cool and fun, but does FE have cool cults? Apparently Arvis and Lyon are the only good villains in the series, so who knows.

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

this is an aggravating softlock.

"It's over Anakin, I have the high ground!"

"You underestimate my power!" *softlocks game*

There we go, I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Altaïr didn't have a forced American accent. 0/10

Now onto Fire Emblem Fates Revelations.

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What FE really needs to do is hire good writers.

Not that I disagree with you but I'm thinking about how hard it must be to write a good story in a video game. It's not just about writing a good story, it's also about making sure that story fits neatly in the game itself to keep players invested, and also making sure gameplay sections aren't separated by hours of text and dialogue.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's definitely a different approach from what "cults" in future games would do.

fair enough.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I'm thinking about how hard it must be to write a good story in a video game.

There're plenty good games with good stories out there, so it's not impossible. 

Even FE itself has the potential and have some really good written stuff out there, but then they have to add that FE touch of plot devicing doom.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

evil dragons are cool

godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-king-ghido

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

and also making sure gameplay sections aren't separated by hours of text and dialogue.

Considering the genre of visual novels, this isn't always a concern.

Honestly writing a good game plot shouldn't be too hard. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare, it just needs to be enough to get invested but without taking the player out of it.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW 30 is currently 30% off in Steam. Offer lasts until May 9.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

Just making a PSA...

You know, normally i don't like buying games i ain't playing soon but......yeah i'll get this on Friday when i get paid. It'll be my first proper SRW after i finish Exceed. 

(Tho i need to make sure it runs well first).

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You know, normally i don't like buying games i ain't playing soon but......yeah i'll get this on Friday when i get paid. It'll be my first proper SRW after i finish Exceed. 

(Tho i need to make sure it runs well first).

Nice. Then already, bookmark this:

https://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/30

As this wiki is of great help when playing SRW games.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

25 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

The Organization is behind it all!

When all goes wrong...

https://i.redd.it/051fvb01as731.jpg

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW 30 is currently 30% off in Steam. Offer lasts until May 9.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

Just making a PSA...

I received a notification in my email! Too bad I won't be able to buy it anytime soon.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Medeus himself wasn't degraded tho. Gharnef.....didn't contribute much.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, it's true to an extent about Shadow Dragon.

We don't really fight degenerated dragons in Shadow Dragon (aside from the degenerated wyverns the Macedonians use as mounts). And what dragons are there they are treated more as just another faction. Medeus is also driven by his desire of revenge against humanity, and restoration of the Golden Age of old. Dragon supremacy over the continent. So while being a dragon is important to his character, there is character at least.

Gharnef in Shadow Dragon doesn't have that much presence. He's more reactive, only bothering to fight the heroes because they are marching onto him (assaults on Khadein and Thabes). The most he bothers to do is put the brainwashed Tiki on the Fane of Raman to prevent Marth from getting the orbs, and even then it seems it only happens because Marth is heading there to begin with. Which makes sense, since between Imhullu, and having Elice hostage, and the Falchion and Aum Staff in his possession, he feels invincible... so he's content to just let everyone else duke it out, and ready to swoop in during the aftermath. Whatever schemes he had, he already did them, so he's just waiting. It's definitely a different approach from what "cults" in future games would do.

But if we take the term "cult" literally then only FE4, FE5 and FE13 have proper cults. This conversation is more about the Gharnef and Medeus archetypes that continue to be used by the franchise even when they shouldn't.

26 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

No no, there should be more evil dragons, evil dragons are cool, humans are boring. Doomsday cults and evil sorcerers can be cool and fun

This ☝️

32 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

but does FE have cool cults?

FE4 has the Loptyrians. They are well integrated in the story and fits its themes about the cicle of hate, sins of the father and how those who have a lot of power can use it to oppress people who don't. It's one of the many things I hope an eventual remake expands on, because it could easily be more interesting than the crappy analogy Tellius makes.

As usual, Kaga not only did it first, he did it better.

30 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

There we go, I finished Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Sorry.thumb.png.5146195f8edd73764922c6cb2b32f879.png

32 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Altaïr didn't have a forced American accent. 0/10

I miss his original voice so much...

33 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Now onto Fire Emblem Fates Revelations.

Sorry.thumb.png.5146195f8edd73764922c6cb2b32f879.png

2 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

https://i.redd.it/051fvb01as731.jpg

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

It's one of the many things I hope an eventual remake expands on

If it get's expanded on it could be great (and Thracia does it a bit better already with characters like Salem and Sara) but as it is right now they kinda are...my main gripe with FE4 plot.

GHK Part 3- The First Request

Spoiler

ULJS00394-00074.jpgULJS00394-00075.jpg

The Training Grounds aren't unlocked yet, so it's a request that it'll be.

ULJS00394-00078.jpg

Straight outta EO!😁

-With Vanillaware's stylish touch. Nothing impressive by their standards, likely due to a PSP, even with a modern emulator, being incapable of the HD magnificence I'v gotten used to. Beautiful, irrespective of limitations I shall nonetheless say.

Grabbed a goblin-killing job, and before leaving, I stopped by the shops.

ULJS00394-00084.jpgULJS00394-00083.jpg

Dwarven-viking blacksmith. The stuff in the blacksmith is randomly changed every so often, leaves me I wondering how weapon quality will scale.

You need enough points in a given stat to use equipment, my Knight (who joined with a Spear, mind you) can't use the above Knight Sword+1.

ULJS00394-00085.jpg

The item shop owner needs more definition on his chin, looks like he doesn't have one and instead is 100% neck.

ULJS00394-00086.jpg

% based healing, with an affordable start at 40%. Only outside of battle, but maybe I can get by without a dedicated healer? -I like it when the player has freedom.

ULJS00394-00087.jpg

As expected, this is where the likes and dislikes comes into play. Kelvin likes meat, Victor dislikes it. Probably increases/diminishes the power of food. 

ULJS00394-00089.jpgULJS00394-00088.jpg

Instead of a skill tree as I was expecting, you buy new skills. Unusual.

I'm curious to see if even a Staff Wizard can use Heal, or Nestling would have to swap to Hammer. Probably not, but I'll experiment without saving later.

Then, I check the start menu.:

ULJS00394-00082.jpg

Doesn't look bad.

ULJS00394-00081.jpg

Stones are accessories. Only four command skill slots and two passive ones sounds limiting. Maybe it's balanced that way for PvP? Could maybe be strategically limiting too. The Skills3 tab is for Map Skills, whatever those are.

It would seem each character has an array of Skill Levels. Seems like any Knight can use Swords, Rapiers, Greatswords, and Spears for example, but you only get a free weapon and +3 skill levels in the weapon type you choose to start with. Use of skills of a given type gradually increases your level in that type.

ULJS00394-00079.jpg

While I can change character positioning in battle, outside of it, I have to keep everyone in a formation. And you only start with one, with a rather long list, each seemingly having a benefit.

Now to Leave the city!

ULJS00394-00094.jpg

Definitely not a dungeon crawler. 

Brave is drained by 1 point with every step my knight-headed chess piece moves. If Brave runs out, it's back to the city. Otherwise, I can return at any time instantly.

Sorry for the Shrimpy, it's random encounters. Though you do get a "?" thought bubble from the front character when an encounter is soon to happen.

ULJS00394-00096.jpg

Goblins for the first enemies.

Attack animations aren't overly fancy. Turns can be fairly fast.

ULJS00394-00099.jpg

First victory. Randoms are very easy to start, definitely not Etrian, the franchise where I've Game Over'ed on the first floor.

ULJS00394-00103.jpg

Chests on the map, often requiring a slight detour. Besides a Gilded Sword and some Goat Milk, I found some papers that unlocked another Formation option for me.

ULJS00394-00105.jpg

The location of quests on the world map are marked. A little bit of minor story to go along with it. The full request took me across the region, indicating each step of where to go along the way.

ULJS00394-00118.jpg

One event on the map gave me some free Holy Water. 40% efficacy and five uses stacking in a single slot? No full-time healer is looking more viable.

I also noticed I gradually healed between battles. Another small boon.

ULJS00394-00134.jpg

Gun Archer looking good. + shaped AoE is hitting four enemies here, in the first of two consecutive battles that comprised the end to this request.

ULJS00394-00145.jpg

The HP Permit can be used for Training. As it is consumed doing so, I didn't attempt any training yet. 

Completing the quest sent me immediately back to town.

ULJS00394-00154.jpg

The calendar moves when you return to town. As the next day was a rest/holy/festival day, I forget what it was called, the Brave gauge is fully replenished.

But what does "Training left" mean? 

ULJS00394-00157.jpgULJS00394-00159.jpg

The Audience scorecard.

I then select "Suspend", which is what actually saves the game. It doesn't bring me back to the main menu, it brings me to this.:

ULJS00394-00162.jpg

Community is described as chatting with fellow players, don't exist unless Internet ghosts are real. So I select "War" the primary online component. I just want to see what it is, even if I can't do anything.

ULJS00394-00163.jpgULJS00394-00164.jpgULJS00394-00165.jpgULJS00394-00166.jpg

Hmm...

ULJS00394-00168.jpg

Status of the present war.

ULJS00394-00173.jpg

Should more MMORPG and the ilk do more stuff like this? Would make always-online not so necessary for those who dislike that requirement.

ULJS00394-00174.jpgULJS00394-00172.jpgULJS00394-00175.jpg

So, in summary, if I was actually able to play this game during the couple years when it had an actual online...

• War begins and ends, but war is ever ongoing on the continent of Ristia. Which kingdom you pick determines which players are your allies and which are the enemies you must fight.
  • You can auto-battle even when you aren't playing the game, and you can also take direct command and lead the war yourself. Rotate your War knights every so often.
  • The apprentice knights you train in Solo mode can be sent to War mode. Where they can fight other players in the international wars. (You get a starting War team of the four tutorial battle characters.
  • Amassing War Effort score via battle victories and claiming territories is the goal of War mode? But what benefits does that bring?

Interesting concept. I would buy a remake to get the complete experience I'm presently missing out on if it happened one day.

I must ask however -do I have to surrender my units to the War effort after their 60 days of training are up? Or can I ship them off later? How substantial is the single-player content?

And one thing I wanted to comment on on the online mode that I didn't take a screenshot of it. Which regions get attacked, was stated to be determined by the player community. Every so often everyone in a given kingdom gets to vote on which provinces neighboring your territories you to invade at a War Council. The places that aren't chosen for the invasion have their votes carried over to the next War Council, assuring they'll eventually be attacked.

• Democracy and active military strategy, what could possibly go wrong? The carryover ballots for the loser regions sounds particularly problematic. Was that how the British chose to attack the Dardanelles in World War I?

And I'll end my massive Grand Knights History commentary here.😛 This seems like enough of an introduction. Now I can resume playing it.

12 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

zpCvJVi.png

pfft-water.gif

scctaYV.png

welp, that fucking sure explains alot (if true)

I can only imagine how it goes.

"I hope I never see you again!"

*Some time later*

"Son/Daughter, I've decided to remarry... and look who is your new sibling!"

Cue:

Edited by Acacia Sgt

14 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

scctaYV.png

Gotoubun too. The author should've just went with the harem route

17 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

If it get's expanded on it could be great (and Thracia does it a bit better already with characters like Salem and Sara) but as it is right now they kinda are...my main gripe with FE4 plot.

Wdym? How can you not like Kaga's instruments to kidnap and brainwash young ladies in this game?