Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

16 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

That's the remake of Ys III isn't it? I played Ys III at the tail end of last year. Only game in the series I actually own... and I've had it since I was in the third grade and bought it. For $2 according to the price tag. I imagine it's gotta be a much improved version over the one I played. Because I recall there being an item called the fairy necklace... that did nothing. And cost a ton to buy. I can't imagine that not being fixed in a remake.

Um, I do not know Ys III, but from what I just have watched, I highly doubt it.

Anyways happy 30th birthday, Kirby!

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Julizan said:

Um, I do not know Ys III, but from what I just have watched, I highly doubt it.

Apparently, having looked into it a bit more... it's the same story. Very different gameplay. The original is flat 2D and hard as nails... the remake.... is apparently based off the gameplay from YS VI. Which is weird. But then having played the original... I can totally see why you'd want to update the gameplay. Does make me wonder what playing the revision is like though, because the main thing I got from the original was the story to be honest... and the satisfaction of beating it.

I only have played Ys I for a bit, but dropped because of its difficulty.

Felghana came out about 25 years later, this kind of games has more freedom to move for the player, so easier to deal with personally.

I have beaten Origin which is a game I absolutely can recommend.

22 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

. is apparently based off the gameplay from YS VI. Which is weir

Basically

Ys 5 bombed hard.

Starting with Ys 6, Falcom modernized the series and started remaking em and makin "canon" version of the games/story

Ys 1/2 Chronicles is a remake of the first 2 games, and thus Books 1/2

Ys Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys 3, and thus canon Book 3

Ys Memories of Celceta is a remake of Ys 4, and thus canon Book 4. Although you will see people liking one of the 2 older versions more here because Celceta is seen as a weak title

Ys 5 has no remake yet, and thus a canon version doesn't exist. Many are waiting for remakes because Ys 8 and especially 9 reference this one.

Book 6 is Ark of Napishtim, and the one Oath is based off gameplay wise as you said. One of the more important Story titles

Book 7 is Seven, 8 is Dana and 9 is Monstrum Nox. Origin in a prequel set 700 years before Ys 1/2.

The timeline goes as follows iirc so far:

Ys Origin -700 years-> 1/2 -> 4 -> 3 -> 5 -> 8 -> 6 -> 7 -> 9

And while aside from 1/2 the games are mostly standalone and thus can be played in any order, there's an overarching world/story/lore elements between the games, with some games building on stuff more than others, while other games leaving it to the background and occasionally remindingthe player of it. Ys 9 especially has quite important callbacks from the whole series built heavily into its plot.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Basically

Ys 5 bombed hard.

Starting with Ys 6, Falcom modernized the series and started remaking em and makin "canon" version of the games/story

Ys 1/2 Chronicles is a remake of the first 2 games, and thus Books 1/2

Ys Oath in Felghana is a remake of Ys 3, and thus canon Book 3

Ys Memories of Celceta is a remake of Ys 4, and thus canon Book 4. Although you will see people liking one of the 2 older versions more here because Celceta is seen as a weak title

Ys 5 has no remake yet, and thus a canon version doesn't exist. Many are waiting for remakes because Ys 8 and especially 9 reference this one.

Book 6 is Ark of Napishtim, and the one Oath is based off gameplay wise as you said. One of the more important Story titles

Book 7 is Seven, 8 is Dana and 9 is Monstrum Nox. Origin in a prequel set 700 years before Ys 1/2.

The timeline goes as follows iirc so far:

Ys Origin -700 years-> 1/2 -> 4 -> 3 -> 5 -> 8 -> 6 -> 7 -> 9

And while aside from 1/2 the games are mostly standalone and thus can be played in any order, there's an overarching world/story/lore elements between the games, with some games building on stuff more than others, while other games leaving it to the background and occasionally remindingthe player of it. Ys 9 especially has quite important callbacks from the whole series built heavily into its plot.

Interesting to note. I was aware of the remake of 1/2. Kind of intended to play that if I ever see it, simply because I kind of want to work out what the previous adventures from 3 were, seeing as the game did somewhat leave me wondering. Though now you tell me the timeline is a little less linear than all that.
You don't see much of the series here. Even the one I have is a US version that someone imported at some unknown stage. I've seen Origin, VIII and IX on shelves over the years. I think I might have seen a copy of one or two on the Master System at some point. Never seen 4-7 though or the remakes though.

It's a Kirby anniversary.

Maybe I should wear the tee I happen to have.

5 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

RYeL9go.png

classic "romcom" moment planned by the heroine? Okay...

OQU9tq8.png

Kek she be naming the techniques like some naruto shit xD

Girl be training in playbook no jutsu.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_20220426-230215_Twitter.jpg

Lol we were just talking about him earlier.

After five years, FEH finally puts in the OG (even if it's his Mystery incarnation).

Man, if you're going to put him in, make him strong eh?

Though by the looks of it it is Book2/NMotE and he is the Shadow Dragon. FEH often doesn't try to have them permanently transformed (See: Garon or Idunn)

(Also, they tend to treat characters who were in OG mystery as MotE chars, people like Wrys as SDatBoL characters and those only in the remakes as from the one they first appeared in. Just to clarify how that works)

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When Medeus puts in for reservations at a restaurant, he arrives and finds a snake-haired goddess has taken his table, the staff didn't bother writing down his name properly.

Medusa being rude again I see.

11 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

fair enough.

Imo tho Raydrik as the final boss would've fit better with Thracia than cult-kun.

Very true. Raydrik with more screentime would've been a perfect antagonist for Leif. Keep Veld for the Eyvel shenanigans, but he definitely shouldn't have been the final boss. He should've been Raydrik's lackey through and through and died before him, because he simply does not work as the puppet master.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

I remember the time they hired an LN writer or some shit and then they threw out half his script.

To be fair, the time they did that we got Garon, so I can't be mad.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Considering the genre of visual novels, this isn't always a concern.

Visual novels are kinda cheating, though. They barely count as videogames. They're far closer to being books, just with a lot more images and some choose-your-own-adventure elements. But ultimately, you just read them, which is what you do with books, not videogames.

9 hours ago, Benice said:

Today was the band performance.

Oh dear.

It did not go well.

Oh well, everyone has their off days. You'll do better next time!

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When you think about it, FE is just a VN with SRPG segments in-between...

That's a lot of gameplay elements, though. FE is roughly 50% gameplay, 50% story - at absolute most. The closest it gets to being a VN is Three Houses, and even then, running around the monastery and training your characters is more interaction than VNs tend to have. Then there's stuff like the two DSFEs, which are more like 80% gameplay, 20% story. If FE counts as a VN, then a big chunk of all videogames are VNs just because they have a fair amount of text in them lol.

9 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I only played one such VN with gameplay (or 2 if that other one counts), and i didn't mind them honestly.

Gameplay can infact improve the story by involving you in it directly.

Yeah, that's the strength of videogames as a storytelling medium. You're not just watching something happening, it feels like it's happening to you, so to speak. When game stories actually exploit that advantage, it makes for some brilliant moments. Unfortunately, they tend to instead sacrifice story for gameplay or viceversa.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

"What 06 failed to mention was that the Rance series is also hentai".

I mean, i ain't saying that's a bad thing, you do you, but that's a key piece of info.

06 trying to get people to consume hentai. What else is new.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_20220426-230215_Twitter.jpg

Lol we were just talking about him earlier.

After five years, FEH finally puts in the OG (even if it's his Mystery incarnation).

At long last.

...I'm disappointed they didn't keep the iconic "resting cheek on hand" pose. I mean, it's the most character he ever gets... Here he just looks generic.

You know, I was actually wrong. Outsider being 6 levels ahead of everyone did not make him the ultimate boss kill. I switched out the thief for him (you can do that in the middle of battle, it's great), but then he got blinded and everyone else died. I would've lost, with the boss left at 17 HP, had I not equipped everyone with one magic attack item. Outsider, overpowered as he is, needed to use that to land the killing blow on the boss. Otherwise he would've just whiffed him forever and died too.

Goodness, what a great fight. I hope they're all like this.

46 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I'm disappointed they didn't keep the iconic "resting cheek on hand" pose. I mean, it's the most character he ever gets... Here he just looks generic.

If they don't want it, it's Volcens' pose now.

@Shrimpolaris @lightcosmo @Lightchao42 @Interdimensional Observer Tagging y'all because this info drop is actually insanely important in regards to Xenoblade 3 gameplay and it's worth knowing going in

FRVUIgXaQAEBpLZ?format=jpg&name=large

So according to the Tweets, Defenders seem to have an innate aggro draw ability (you can see it in action here, notice Taion). Standing near one will cause the aggro to shift from you over to them if you're the one being aggro'd. But obviously being huddled together risks the chances of eating a nasty AoE so you gotta balance this. Attackers do big numbers damage like usual and then there's Healers:

ONLY THE HEALERS CAN REVIVE! Revives are not tied to the Party Gauge because the party gauge does not work like it did in past games (no word on how it actually works this time). And because of that, i'm assuming the grounds for defeat are if everyone falls instead of just the player-controlled character. If both your healers fall, you begin fighting an uphill battle. This is all possible because everyone is fighting at once. In previous games (and most RPGs), the healer class is often an afterthought (as much as i love how healing is implemented in Xenoblade 2, the healer class there is not as defined as the attackers and tanks). In Xenoblade 3, all three class types are fully defined, each with their own unique roles in combat. Hell, even tanks in this game have improved viability beyond just "they take damage for others". And speaking of aggro

FRVTmdZacAEttEf?format=jpg&name=large

If the aggro lines are red, that means an Attacker or Healer is being targeted

FRVTmddaUAABpWP?format=jpg&name=large

If the aggro lines are blue, that means a Defender is being targeted. This is ideally what you want. Insane QoL tbh.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When Medeus puts in for reservations at a restaurant, he arrives and finds a snake-haired goddess has taken his table, the staff didn't bother writing down his name properly.

Oh this gave me a chuckle.

9 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Is there a difference?

Appearance-wise, yes.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

..I'm disappointed they didn't keep the iconic "resting cheek on hand" pose.

He only does that when he's sitting on his throne. Resting your check on your hand doesn't look as good when standing.

Edited by Armagon

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, I was actually wrong. Outsider being 6 levels ahead of everyone did not make him the ultimate boss kill. I switched out the thief for him (you can do that in the middle of battle, it's great), but then he got blinded and everyone else died. I would've lost, with the boss left at 17 HP, had I not equipped everyone with one magic attack item. Outsider, overpowered as he is, needed to use that to land the killing blow on the boss. Otherwise he would've just whiffed him forever and died too.

Goodness, what a great fight. I hope they're all like this.

You look like you're having fun.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He only does that when he's sitting on his throne. Resting your check on your hand doesn't look as good when standing.

He could have had his throne in his neutral pose.

(in before he get an Ascended form where he's a good Earth Dragon)

Sakurai put out a tweet with a factoid for the day.

Today "Kirby of the Stars" is 30 years old. Please continue to get along! The first Kirby clear dance. At the time of development, when I asked the person in charge of sound about the number of frames of clear music, he said, "I don't know." I made it according to the sound while rewinding the clear music recorded on the cassette tape many times."

There was a separate tweet that that explained why Kirby splits into three during the victory dance. Sakurai put it thusly- because it was "more fun that way".

-----

And I've done it. I've anonymously thrown my intimate inquiries to an online advice column.😳 Where others ask about their fetishes, partners refusing to do or let them do certain things in the bedroom, and if it's okay to have fantasies of their cousin a few years younger than them (I think I'm in good weird company). Which is not the same as throwing the same personal junk into a silver-tier-popularity video game franchise website's message boards.😝

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tagging y'all because this info drop is actually insanely important in regards to Xenoblade 3 gameplay and it's worth knowing going in

Aggro changes are inherently good. Revival change? Hmm... well, you're right that everyone is fighting at once, and that healers have been a shaky group in Xenoblade since its inception. So while I like the notion of resurrection being available to everyone, I'll be open to the new approach.

This makes ponder yet another X2 moment. Technically, X2 will be the exact same world as X1, with the exact same characters and weapons, starting but a few weeks, a few months at most, after X1. And yet, two games and probably a decade of time at the least will have passed since X1, with substantial gameplay alterations, X2 might have to majorly update and refine itself. Old people with significantly new gameplay, sounds a tad bizarre to think about -though it shouldn't if only I continued with Xenosaga.

It's starting to feel almost like a parody. Turns out, when we made it to the top of the castle...

Spoiler

There wasn't any vampire at all. it was just a kindly old man in a turtleneck sweater. He was checking out his late uncle's abandoned castle, and he found an organ and some sheets. He just liked to play the organ, so he played the song, without knowing it was a cursed song that summoned all the undead prowling around the place.

Then we spoke to him and he was really nice and cooperative and let us keep his castle for our army as long as we let him stay. Luther was disappointed, though. Poor, poor Luther. Couldn't catch his vampire.

Well, that was hilarious. And immediately after that, the story gets dead serious and starts to reveal interesting bits of the protagonist's past.

I think this game may just be really good, guys.

...I really want to find that cat. A certain person whose recruitment I believed the cat would expedite has joined of her own free will as part of the main plot. Now I have no idea what the cat's deal is. Heck, the cat has a portrait. If the cat ends up joining the army I'm going to be the happiest man on Earth.

55 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

^ what game are you playing, Ruben?

Exit Fate. An old JRPG made on RPGMaker by one Dutch man (I guess we call that a DRPG?) that I just sort of ran into on Youtube the other day.

According to the people whose impressions I read online, it draws clear inspiration from classic JRPGs, most notably Suikoden II, if you're familiar with that one. But it quickly veers in its own direction and switches things up in both gameplay and story. It pays homage to the classics while trying to change the formula in ways that would improve it, and the end result is a JRPG that's quite fun to play.

Again, this is all what people more knowledgable about the genre have said in the past. In my excitement from finding a JRPG that was enjoyable to me, I jumped the gun and made those sweeping statements of fixing JRPGs when I've barely played any. Frankly, I was just echoing the words of people online - statements like those were what convinced me to play this. Sorry about that.

Regardless, I can tell you that on its own rights, it's a really good game so far. If I had to go over a few specific points:

• Main plot is fairly grounded and going in some interesting directions already. The secondary story threads are hilarious, they feel like parodies at times. It's quite the funny game when it wants to be, in my humble opinion.
  • The playable cast is immense (at a whopping 75 playable characters), highly imaginative and spread all over the place, making finding them its own whole adventure.
  • The portrait art looks pretty good to me, but we disagree on this front a lot, as we know. I can say this, though: They're really diverse. I've yet to find two people that look alike.
  • Battles are interesting enough due to a number of unique mechanics in place, and they're also quite pretty thanks to the hand-drawn sprites, which I must say I prefer to the classic small pixelated people that are most common in JRPG battles. You can see a battle screenshot in the game's site, linked below.
  • There are also SRPG-like war battles, akin to those in Suikoden II - though I've read claims that the battles in this game have far more depth than the ones there. Either way, I can tell you that, while they're not as grand as FE battles, they're a nice little minigame to break the routine from time to time.
  • Soundtrack is borrowed from SNES/PSX era JRPGs, but I think that's fine, personally.

That's about all I can think to say right now, without spoiling anything - and I wouldn't want to spoil anything, the story is the game's strongest point according to... well, everyone that's played it, apparently.

The game is completely free and doesn't even require installation. You just go to the site and download it, boom, you're set. Give it a shot, if you like. The fact that it pleases and appeals to the resident JRPG hater in so many ways may be a good or a bad sign, but I'll let you decide on that front.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Draw him on the throne. What's the problem here? They gave Sothis a throne. The only time Medeus isn't sitting is when he's a big purple dragon. Give him the damn throne, IntSys! It's the only notable thing about him, severely underwritten as he is in all of his appearances!

10 minutes ago, Dayni said:

You look like you're having fun.

I haven't quit yet. That alone is a great sign, this being a JRPG, me being me and all.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

No ok but what is that dash that Mio and Sena were doing? Can you actually schmoove in this game? We're being shown that without being told what it is.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sakurai put it thusly- because it was "more fun that way".

And that's all one really needs, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So while I like the notion of resurrection being available to everyone, I'll be open to the new approach.

Considering class changes are gonna be a thing, you could in theory run more than two healers. Two of each is just the balanced run of course but you can definitely switch it up. So it still works i'd say. And the truly bold can run no healers if they so wish.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There was a separate tweet that that explained why Kirby splits into three during the victory dance. Sakurai put it thusly- because it was "more fun that way".

I am unsurprised by this.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I've done it. I've anonymously thrown my intimate inquiries to an online advice column.😳 Where others ask about their fetishes, partners refusing to do or let them do certain things in the bedroom, and if it's okay to have fantasies of their cousin a few years younger than them (I think I'm in good weird company). Which is not the same as throwing the same personal junk into a silver-tier-popularity video game franchise website's message boards.😝

This is.....

Yeah, I don't really have much I can argue there barring asking people to not fuck their cousin. And that is definitely different.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Draw him on the throne. What's the problem here? They gave Sothis a throne. The only time Medeus isn't sitting is when he's a big purple dragon. Give him the damn throne, IntSys! It's the only notable thing about him, severely underwritten as he is in all of his appearances!

On the one hand I agree.

On the other hand I can only imagine how much slouch is needed to get the pose right

11 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

RYeL9go.png

classic "romcom" moment planned by the heroine? Okay...

OQU9tq8.png

Kek she be naming the techniques like some naruto shit xD

Ah yes, my daily reminder not to browse this thread at school.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

aggro draw ability (you can see it in action here, notice Taion). Standing near one will cause the aggro to shift from you over to them if you're the one being aggro'd. But obviously being huddled together risks the chances of eating a nasty AoE so you gotta balance this. Attackers do big numbers damage like usual and then there's Healers:

ONLY THE HEALERS CAN REVIVE! Revives are not tied to the Party Gauge because the party gauge does not work like it did in past games (no word on how it actually works this time). And because of that, i'm assuming the grounds for defeat are if everyone falls instead of just the player-controlled character. If both your healers fall, you begin fighting an uphill battle. This is all possible because everyone is fighting at once. In previous games (and most RPGs), the healer class is often an afterthought (as much as i love how healing is implemented in Xenoblade 2, the healer class there is not as defined as the attackers and tanks). In Xenoblade 3, all three class types are fully defined, each with their own unique roles in combat. Hell, even tanks in this game have improved viability beyond just "they take damage for others". And speaking of aggro

Whoa awesome! Look forward to this!

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ah yes, my daily reminder not to browse this thread at school.

You shouldn't use your phone at school in the first place.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

This is.....

I was damned if I did, damned if I didn't. And the one delivering the damnation either way- myself.

I've been criticizing myself for not trying to change course from complete internalization of my qualms that haven't worked to the resolve the issue. And now, I'm hammering at myself for acting foolishly emotionally and shouldn't have made this egregious impulsive mistake. The house always wins, yet I always lose. It's only a question of which rebukes I'd be more willing to bear.

I'm feeling a sense of relief right now that I finally acted. But then, criticisms of not doing something feel subjectively decidedly lighter than those for having done something. Since you can always do what you haven't done, but you can't undo what you have done. I'm preferring how I was feeling before.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Yeah, I don't really have much I can argue there barring asking people to not fuck their cousin.

The advice columnist said incest fantasies, that don't go beyond fantasies, are fine.

And, if you weren't raised particularly close with the cousin, it's understandable they added. As it is a close upbringing that creates the sexual revulsion between family members, it's not inherently having close genes. Then, there was the case the Israeli communal kibbutz settlement programs (that still exist to this day, but less experimentally utopian). Children in kibbutz were raised collectively, though not entirely separated from their parents. Children raised in these old-fashioned kibbutz it was studied, had a tendency to later marry outside their community, as everyone they grew up within the community, were so close they considered them siblings, despite no genetic bond. Research into child marriages the columnist added, seem to run into intimacy issues sometimes as well. And then I recall this one murder show I was watching set in the Staten Island borough of New York City, where a young man said the Staten Island community was too close, so that youths like him generally preferred dating people outside of the borough when they crossed over to Manhattan to party, the girls of Staten Island were like his sisters

As if this wasn't enough, the columnist went even further! That, scientifically speaking, the genetic reproduction issues of a single 1st cousin marriage (what the Habsburgs were doing generation-after-generation was still very wrong) are only 3-4% higher than a normal, not-closely related couple. And even then that only applies in case of rare genetic diseases. Then, they claimed that, again, purely from a scientific perspective, a 4th (or maybe even 3rd, I forget) cousin marriage has been instinctively imagined by Homo sapiens as a species (during our long pre-civilization history I would think) as ideal. Since 4th is far enough removed to quash any increased genetic abnormality chances, yet close enough to be more... the phrasing was something like "genetically compatible". Perhaps referring to ease of a successful impregnation and or subsequent survival of the child to their own reproductive adulthood? 

-However, the advice provider was not endorsing incest.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I like the idea that only healers can revive, that makes them invaluable. XC2 healers were kinda on the lackluster side overall.

As for aggro drawing tanks, well... it's gotta be done the right way, so here's to hoping!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And that's the point. He's New Mystery Medeus, not Shadow Dragon Medeus. I'm sure that in 10 years when we finally get Shadow Dragon Medeus, they could draw him on his throne...

Fuck. Thunderstorm. I guess the cult of thunder witch girls is angry at me for trolling them earlier, when I shared the image of the cutest witch.

In other news, I think I have my favorite minor character so far, aside from Deke of course. In spoilers... Just in case anyone wants to go completely blind, I suppose. It's really no big spoiler.

Spoiler

An old necromancer in a garbage bag robe called Myst. He lives in the basement of a secluded shack and each time I visit him, he keeps trying to impress me by performing necromancy... And failing miserably everytime, with marvelously frustrated reactions on his part. Man's at his 6th corpse now. Still nothing. Amazing.

Also, everyone is joining me. Even characters with set roles on the overworld whom you'd think would stay put, such as the administrator that lets me change my team composition, are joining me. They just appear on the overworld to perform their roles when needed. Heck, even the  "vampire" who is just a 70 year old civilian that's shit at fighting has joined. For no reason.

This is great. It makes me even more hopeful that I'll get to put Deke in my team. I mean, if everyone gets in, why not him?

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And that's the point. He's New Mystery Medeus, not Shadow Dragon Medeus. I'm sure that in 10 years when we finally get Shadow Dragon Medeus, they could draw him on his throne...

Oohh...

...no, wait, what? In book 2 he straight up has no human form! I guess it's a sort of mash of both appearances? A bit weird, but oh well, better than nothing.