Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How about having Japan give me more well-written gays in my mainstream anime games instead of creating an unrealistic fictional world where we are the oppressors?🤨

I am possibly thirsty and stuck in an emotional carmageddon-worthy existential traffic jam. Do not piss me off Nippon.😠

Oh yeah, from what i hear the story itself is pretty yikes. Like yeah the premise is so outlandishly stupid that it's funny but according to people who've read it, it leans on reverse discrimination. So yeah, not good.

Why Seven Seas decided to localize this, i have no clue but then again i don't know why they localize like most of the shit they localize.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sorta. Ys VIII specifically starts with a shipwreck and the survivors wash up on a completely uninhabited island. There aren't that many survivors, so you get to bond with all of them to some degree. I thought it rather charming

I was sorta more referring to questlines. Cause bonding with NPCs is neat but i'm guessing they all have like their own little stories here?

Edited by Armagon

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Her repeated lines before and after every Nox battle lost their cool badass luster a while ago

yeah

Being cool chuuni and mysterious for the whole game just...doesn't work.

and make Third Eye dispel illusory walls and reveal invisible platforms and enemies

Ys Origin moment

And i think Ys1/2 as well? Don't exactly remember

Although even there it's not used much

Game be looking better on PC than an undocked Switch, no surprise.

blessed be Durante!

Dude works his magic on Falcom games.

When Nisa ported Ys 8 before Durante it was a shitshow.

A port so bad it probably ruined Ys chances in the west of becoming mainstream. Ys 8 released at a really good time iirc, but first port was so shit, game had overwhemingly negative reviews because of it.

And let's not forget the first translation...

Even the japanese got to know the displeasure of the western fanbase as people started posting japanese texts around with how bad Nisa handled Ys 8

Excellent victory BTW!😉

ty o7

I brought Hawk and White Cat with me

OOF

Yeah those 2 just don't work on that boss xD

365.25*20*5

a very french way of doing things xD

Dana is supreme I shall agree.

Spoiler

w7m96j33gag41.jpg?auto=webp&s=d4ad513358

Bestest of best Girls

Glad to you a drugs-free dose of feel-good oxytocin! We could all use some of those

😄

And maybe Nihon Falcom simply didn't put as much effort into it this time

yeah it's obvious Ys 9 needed a bit more time in the oven

Hopefully with how long Ys 10 is taking it will be better^^

Edited by Shrimpolaris

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I was sorta more referring to questlines. Cause bonding with NPCs is neat but i'm guessing they all have like their own little stories here?

they do

with their little quests as well.

And the quests affect the people, too!

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Why Seven Seas decided to localize this, i have no clue but then again i don't know why they localize like most of the shit they localize

if i have to guess

Shoujo manga

Shoujo Manga is really popular in Germany (shoujo stuff get's localized super fast, even before english tl), so maybe that applies to murica as well?

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But a google search of "shoujo manga where meteorites turn people gay"

The things we type into search engines.

I have half a mind to search for "free translated good quality no-furries bara manga". The other half says "Stop! There are things that your brain and eyes will not be able to unsee!".

I forget exactly. The quests aren't the elaborate stuff that culminates in things like shutting down a Nopon-High Entia drug trade or Definian Downfall, but yes, there are quests relevant to everyone.

Oh yeah, from what i hear the story itself is pretty yikes. Like yeah the premise is so outlandishly stupid that it's funny but according to people who've read it, it leans on reverse discrimination. So yeah, not good.

I'll assume this is some random desperate-to-stand-out-in-an-oversaturated-sea-of-manga piece of niche popular literature. Thus, I shall forgive the Land of the Rising Sun for this indiscretion. 

That, and I might be able to stomach and laugh at a bullet point list summarizing the worst scenes and aspects of the plot. Minus maybe any moments that mega-super-duper-double-trouble-Oh-God YIKES!

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Bestest of best Girls

*Sees the "so suck on that Dogi shippers" at the end of the the heavy-spoilers list*

I am not surprised, even if I never thought of it. 

...Now I'm thinking of that Eternian boy who defended Dana to the end.😢

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I am not surprised, even if I never thought of it. 

I am surprised ngl xD

20190303182015_1.jpg
20190303182028_1.jpg
20190303182038_1.jpg
20190303182108_1.jpg

20190302144057_1.jpg

It's not that unpopular. It got refrenced in Nep xD

Then again

You only played 8 and 9. Dogi has been there since Ys 1, and has been Adol's companion/bro in most games (but not all)

Edited by Shrimpolaris

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it's neat that they've created two new tiers of enemies. After years of just "Normals" and "Uniques", it's nice to have middle grounds.

And it's also because of this that i really don't think the level penalties will be in the game.

Well I think its great that they are giving the player a better incentive to challenge themselves. Wait, the rare drops enemies are gonna be harder?

Level penalty is never coming back, haha.

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

And let's not forget the first translation...

This is reminding me of Gunvolt 1's notorious original localization. A localization that butchered the game's script, removing 90% of the stage dialogue and several base interactions, invented swears that weren't in the original and just invented a new pronoun for the non-binary character. 

The team responsible for this? 8-4. You know, the guys who localized DSFE and Awakening,  Xenoblade X and maybe a few other well known games.

The Gunvolt 1 localization was so bad that Inti Creates made their own for the Steam release, which restored all of the removed content and has a more faithful localization. This would get retroactively patched in to Gunvolt 1 on 3DS. Since then, Inti Creates themselves localize their games (and a neat thing is that they get the Japanese voice actors to dub the English names of SP Skills).

The Inti Creates localization is the optimal way to play Gunvolt 1 but in an act of preservation, the original 8-4 localization can also be selected if you want to see how bad it is. And some people don't realize this and end up playing that and end up getting a negative perception of the series.

Haha i rambled a bit there.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll assume this is some random desperate-to-stand-out-in-an-oversaturated-sea-of-manga piece of niche popular literature.

I mean it already got more attention than most niche shoujos so uhh....mission accomplished?

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I forget exactly. The quests aren't the elaborate stuff that culminates in things like shutting down a Nopon-High Entia drug trade or Definian Downfall, but yes, there are quests relevant to everyone.

That's neat.

And yeah, chill quests are fine too. Not every game needs to have a questline where you deal with a pizza serial killer.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Wait, the rare drops enemies are gonna be harder?

No, Lucky Monsters are just as strong as Normal Monsters. They just garuantee rare drops.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This is reminding me of Gunvolt 1's notorious original localization. A localization that butchered the game's script, removing 90% of the stage dialogue and several base interactions, invented swears that weren't in the original and just invented a new pronoun for the non-binary character. 

what the fuck?

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

original 8-4 localization can also be selected if you want to see how bad it i

why tho xD

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Haha i rambled a bit there

understandable dw

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

No, Lucky Monsters are just as strong as Normal Monsters. They just garuantee rare drops.

Interesting. I seen a video on the switching targets mechanic somewhere, and it looks much better than other Xeno games (XC 1 for example has a crummy one) so i have high hopes that the smooth transition there will help plan ally saving and whatnot.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

what the fuck?

Ignorance is bliss because when i played the game back in 2014, i didn't know this wasn't how it was supposed to be. It wasn't until Gunvolt 2 was coming out that i found out what i had missed on.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

why tho xD

So you can point and laugh at it.

But then Gunvolt fans go "aw shit here we go again" when they see someone trying to get into the series and play the 8-4 localization without knowing the mistake they've just made.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Interesting. I seen a video on the switching targets mechanic somewhere, and it looks much better than other Xeno games (XC 1 for example has a crummy one) so i have high hopes that the smooth transition there will help plan ally saving and whatnot.

Xenoblade 3 in general looks really smooth. Heck the game is honestly looking to be the best looking Xeno game. 

Crazy to think about this game coming out in two months.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Xavier depends greatly on whether or not you have a sleep edge. If you do, it's... relatively simple. Relatively. You just have to make sure that your sleep edge user doesn't have the ability to double or crit the knights, and then you're set. As long as the RNG cooperates.

If you don't have a sleep edge, it's basically impossible. So uh. Yeah.

Sleep Edge... check. Units who can't double or crit with an A rank in swords might be trick. I'm thinking Dean might work. He's got A swords and dismounting penalties affect him. Leif and Fergus are right out though. Fergus has 20 skill.. and 20 strength.. and 18 defense... and 16 speed. Even with dismounting penalties he's kind of going to destroy anything I send him at.
As for Leif... I'm pretty sure he'll be busy elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Dayni said:

I cannot pretend to be ready to get Xavier legit ever.

Working off a cartridge means I'm going to have the "fun" of no save states.... so it's legit or nothing. But I'm opting not even to try for the member's card because I figure I'm not even going to have the money to buy stat-boosters anyway given how I rarely sell anything I do capture or steal.

11 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

20190303182038_1.jpg

Splendid double entendre here!😆

13 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

You only played 8 and 9. Dogi has been there since Ys 1, and has been Adol's companion/bro in most games (but not all)

I had heard of that to some extent prior to Ys VIII.

My earliest awareness of the franchise dates back to... 2008 maybe? I learned of the franchise via Nintendo Power magazine, previews and reviews for the (poor quality I'm told) I&II DS remake might've been the first time I saw Ys ever mentioned. There is a chance the two-letter name could've shown up sooner.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The team responsible for this? 8-4. You know, the guys who localized DSFE and AwakeningXenoblade X and maybe a few other well known games.

Whut?

Awakening I know had some localization issues, but XCX?🤔

Yes they removed the breast slider, made Lin more modest, and got edited out the fundoshi, but the script itself? I don't think I've ever heard of issues with it. Have I been ignorant this entire time to the truth written in kanji lost left in mediocre hands; or did 8-4 have a second, highly talented team?

9 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Sleep Edge... check. Units who can't double or crit with an A rank in swords might be trick. I'm thinking Dean might work. He's got A swords and dismounting penalties affect him. Leif and Fergus are right out though. Fergus has 20 skill.. and 20 strength.. and 18 defense... and 16 speed. Even with dismounting penalties he's kind of going to destroy anything I send him at.
As for Leif... I'm pretty sure he'll be busy elsewhere.

Dean also has a PCC of 3. So he's gonna crit a lot.

I suppose one could use the capture command in order to lower their own speed so they won't double. That way PCC would not come into play. At least on Player Phase.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Splendid double entendre here!😆

I never noticed that lmao

Then again i was busy laughing when she shipped them like that xD

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My earliest awareness of the franchise dates back to... 2008 maybe?

for me it was unironically googling "Zelda like games for PC" and getting Ys Origin lol

Played the demo, loved it, and you know the rest xD

Edited by Shrimpolaris

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whut?

Awakening I know had some localization issues, but XCX?🤔

Yes they removed the breast slider, made Lin more modest, and got edited out the fundoshi, but the script itself? I don't think I've ever heard of issues with it. Have I been ignorant this entire time to the truth written in kanji lost left in mediocre hands; or did 8-4 have a second, highly talented team?

I have no clue. 8-4 has had a good track record and people do like their localizations. They are responsible for Marth's characterization in Shadow Dragon.

So why did they butcher Gunvolt 1 like they did? There's "a small bump in their track record" and then there's whatever the hell this was.

They removed like half the frames of Gunvolt.

Unless Inti actually designed the game that way. And clearly a studio with their experience would not make such an obvious misstep that instantly prevents any and all fast-paced sidescrollers from having good game feel like putting in a 29 frame cap.

Heck, they made Zero 1 and ZX1. Games that were total trainwrecks in terms of design, but were still enjoyable because their characters were just fun to control. Moving felt good, jumping felt good, blowing shit up felt good. They wouldn't make that kind of mistake.

Edited by BrightBow

57 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Dean also has a PCC of 3. So he's gonna crit a lot.

I suppose one could use the capture command in order to lower their own speed so they won't double. That way PCC would not come into play. At least on Player Phase.

I've looked at my units. Leif, Dean, Fred, Fergus and Ralph have the required sword rank. Problem is Fred's combination of dismounting penalties, con and speed means he ends up with an attack speed of 1 with the thing.... some of the armours have 5 or 6 AS. Others have 0. My ideal would be three... but Dean, Ralph and Fergus go so far above it it's not funny. Leif on the other hand would end up with the perfect three AS. 20 weight minus 7 con being 13, and Leif having 16 speed would put him at 3. So Leif might unironically be my best bet.

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I've looked at my units. Leif, Dean, Fred, Fergus and Ralph have the required sword rank. Problem is Fred's combination of dismounting penalties, con and speed means he ends up with an attack speed of 1 with the thing.... some of the armours have 5 or 6 AS. Others have 0. My ideal would be three... but Dean, Ralph and Fergus go so far above it it's not funny. Leif on the other hand would end up with the perfect three AS. 20 weight minus 7 con being 13, and Leif having 16 speed would put him at 3. So Leif might unironically be my best bet.

It's no fun for sure.

When you need someone to be your horse's hoofsteps.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

why.png

So wait, being straight is now extinct and she has to confront her straight feelings and the issues that'll bring.

How does this world reproduce itself?

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

This feels like a meme template. Watch, i'll prove it

20220511_211643.png

Hmmmm, has potential.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Why Seven Seas decided to localize this, i have no clue but then again i don't know why they localize like most of the shit they localize.

Somebody seeing the potential market from a more hostile world?

Definitely don't agree with them though.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The things we type into search engines.

I have half a mind to search for "free translated good quality no-furries bara manga". The other half says "Stop! There are things that your brain and eyes will not be able to unsee!".

Stop!

Pretty sure I'm still needing to recover from the concussion.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

The team responsible for this? 8-4. You know, the guys who localized DSFE and Awakening,  Xenoblade X and maybe a few other well known games.

.....Why though?

Has there ever been an explanation for such a mess? Was the staff the same on some of those other titles? Were there factors beyond the people involved?

(They also did SoV)

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

FShrPh7VkAA1atC?format=jpg&name=large

That's some.... priorities there.

Kinda messed up to feel it's better to be burnt out and used up. Least I feel so.

(Also rainbow watering can. That is all)

Edited by Dayni
Forgot some bits.

Spoilers inside, obviously, but... Eh, the game goes hard on the lore, but is light on the ongoing plot. Most bosses's appearances aren't spoilers. The only ones that are spoilers by themselves the final two bosses after Tubal, so if you care at all about that stuff, don't watch those. Oh, and if you intend to play the game, don't watch the sixth boss. For reasons.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, Rogue Legacy 2 good and you should play it instead of watching my video about it.