Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Chapter Seven of Monstrum Nox is done and I stand ready to head into Chapter Eight's dungeon. A lot narratively seems to be riding on what shall soon come, as the plot keeps holding tantalizing things back. This kind of approach leaves one craving more, but is arguably not good storytelling. At least I'm breezing through it, that isn't the worst thing.

---

@Benice

Yakuza-Majima-Goro-perfumes.png

Why does Yakuza get this stuff? -This is the second set of colognes that let you smell Like A Dragon.

Night Emperor to the left is described as calm musk and fruity floral; Mad Dog is a mad(???) floral fragrance. $25 USD per bottle.

Perfect for a nerd who wants to smell good, but I can't possibly imagine what occasion they would need it for.🤔

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Sounds like history generally /s

Reminds me I need to get back to reading the wine history book, I've still 150 pages to go. Most of the stuff that fascinated me was in the earlier eras, while 1800s to the modern day should still be interesting, it probably won't be to the same extent as Antiquity and the Middle Ages.

Also, since you might be interested, I feel like jotting down the one major Bible quote the book cited.:

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the winemaker... I am the vine, and you the branches. He who dwells in me, as I dwell in him, bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing".

-A passage cited by French vignerons (those who grew vines and also made wine) suggesting why they factually were overwhelmingly doctrinally conservative in France and tended to be a solid bastion of Catholic support during the Reformation. Not to say Protestantism and Huguenots were always teetotalers, they weren't. Both sides of the Age of Religious Wars had critics of the immorality brought on by too much alcohol. And the Protestants did restore wine to the laity during Communion.

The book also cites the famed Rule of St. Benedict. In which it is written that wine is not a drink suited for monks, yet as banning it is practically impossible, let wine be consumed, but not enough to induce drunkenness. One hermina (about a quarter liter) of wine a day was the permitted ration. Sick monks can ask for extra wine, as wine was sometimes considered medicine.

For more Biblical mentions, the famed "water into wine" New Testament miracle (the very first miracle Jesus carries out) implies that it was common practice in the Mediterranean during the early 1st century AD to serve the best wine first at any gathering. Makes some logical sense, as a sloshed mind with tastebuds saturated with booze is less likely to be discerning than a sober mind with a clean palette. The "wine" that Christ was given to ease or mock (depends on the specific Gospel) his dying while crucified was possibly posca- a mix of water and either vinegar or sour wine (wine that hasn't become vinegar just yet and still has some characteristics of wine, but very little alcohol), which Roman legions drank as a daily ration (posca dehydrates in large quantities, but does taste refreshing).

With regards to the Old Testament/Tanakh in Judaism, the book does mention that it is regarded positively. When Moses sent out scouts to the promised land, they came back with big bushels of grapes, and one of the first things Noah did after the Great Flood was over was to plant vineyards and make wine. Although, Noah then got himself irresponsibly drunk, and we can't forget how Lot was made drunk by his daughters so they could reproduce with him. The Tanakh appreciates a good wine grape, but not drinking-induced immorality. A few ancient Jewish sects strictly limited or banned alcohol, perhaps in emulation of the earliest Jewish nomads, but these groups were certainly the exception to the norms. Scripturally, Judaism/Tanakh/Old Testament is arguably not as pro-wine as Christianity/New Testament would be (blame Greco-Roman influences?), but neither was it anti-alcohol.

On Islam, the Quran does contain negative but also positive references to wine. Islamic Heaven does according to its Prophet Muhammad contain "rivers of delectable wine". The holy man according to one story (must be a hadith) visited a house one day and saw how jovial wine had made it and blessed the drink. The Prophet returned the next day and saw the same house was filled with bloodshed, he changed the blessing he gave to wine into a curse. The problem wasn't wine itself, but all the problems associated with drunkenness. So Islam's founder decided that his followers shouldn't drink on Earth, even though it would be perfectly fine for them to drink the abundant vino in paradise. From a cynical perspective, prohibiting alcohol in a world where nobody else did that made Muslims easier for their rulers to control and separated them from other cultures. However, a complete ban on intoxicating beverages took a couple centuries to sink in, and some peripheries like Islamic Spain continued to imbibe for a time while a few early Islamic scholars debated what if any amount of alcohol was okay.

...I need to take more notes like these.🤓

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Benice said:

And you did it in less than 100 hours too, which is less time than it will take me to finish the game as an F-rank bracer!

It it means anything, E-rank is the lowest rank you can finish SC with. Sky FC technically has a special scene if you finish the game with the minimal rank, but you'd have to skip every sidequest and miss almost every bonus BP opportunity to see it.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, who else here is Hispanic / Has Hispanic heritage...

Not me, I'm mostly Irish and Italian with some German and Scottish, or so I heard. I also have some Neanderthal DNA, just like every person who isn't exclusively of sub-Saharan African ancestry.

53 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Clearly you don't remember the Giant Octorock

Eh? Why is that difficult? You hit it, run into it to turn it around, hit it again, repeat till it dies.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Eh? Why is that difficult? You hit it, run into it to turn it around, hit it again, repeat till it dies.

I suppose because it's not entirely clear what you are supposed to do. In all of my playthroughs I've died at least once or twice to the thing just because I had no idea what I was doing.

Now that could be because I'm bad at video games but it was the only boss I've ever really struggled with in Ocarina of Time.

Also when you say run into it, do you mean roll into it?

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This is truly FE4Thread's successor... but with Hispanics instead of Brazilians.

Anime Girl Waving GIFs | Tenor

Am both

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Nice, hope you like it! I did, personally.

It was good. Way better than the first Doctor Strange and it has one of, if not the best directed MCU movies.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This is truly FE4Thread's successor... but with Hispanics instead of Brazilians.

Venezuelan here. So Hispanic in the sense that i am Latino.

But i share more in common with my fellow gringos because i didn't really have that many Latino friends growing up. And 98% of my family is in Venezuela. 

32 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Also when you say run into it, do you mean roll into it?

No, run into it and take damage intentionally, when you get hit, it automatically turns around. You can kinda abuse its A.I this way.

30 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I get that.🙂

Not doing anything then makes the next worse b/c you feel pathetic for not having done anything yesterday. ...Which then leads you to do nothing again, which affects the day after that, and so on and so forth. You find yourself overwhelmed with ever-compounding self-misery that leaves you desperately wanting to do something, but at the same time paralyzes you from doing anything. It's an awful cycle.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

It it means anything, E-rank is the lowest rank you can finish SC with. Sky FC technically has a special scene if you finish the game with the minimal rank, but you'd have to skip every sidequest and miss almost every bonus BP opportunity to see it.

Reminds me of what I've heard about the first Luigi's Mansion. The hardest ending rank to get isn't the highest, it's the lowest. It's easier to get enough money for the glorious mansion than avoiding as much money as possible to get the tent.

>Everyone sharing their ancestry

>Me who knows barely anything about my family. I don’t even know who my dad is. My ancestry is primarily Scottish and uh… uhh… …

I don't think I have any hispanic heritage, but some of my heritage isn't well known (the old family euphemism is that pairigs between natives, and whites wasn't well documented back in the day...), and there is some fringe indirect stuff, like my Aunts who came from my grandfather's first marriage are implied to have some, given they inherited some of the old Spanish land grants to parts of the Americas, and one of my cousins had children with someone of hispanic descent.

45 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

No, run into it and take damage intentionally, when you get hit, it automatically turns around. You can kinda abuse its A.I this way.

That's...huh.

I can't help but feel that's not what you're supposed to do but I guess if it works.

14 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

That's...huh.

I can't help but feel that's not what you're supposed to do but I guess if it works.

Pretty much every boss is abusable in the N64 Zelda games. 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why does Yakuza get this stuff? -

I don't know why Yakuza gets the weirdest merch, but it is kinda in-character. They also have really neat sweaters, but they're sadly super pricey.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Sky FC technically has a special scene if you finish the game with the minimal rank, but you'd have to skip every sidequest and miss almost every bonus BP opportunity to see it.

Estelle gets fired and then Josette replaces her.

11 hours ago, Dayni said:

Not that many ridersbanes I thought, but yeah, Leif is charging ahead and expects them to keep up.

Well, they've kind of been an on and off thing... and so have pole-axes. Chapter 16 had 3 Ridersbane cavs in Ilios formation. Despite using mostly mounted units, they weren't a problem because none of them actually got to attack. Likewise, I had only a handful of units that didn't have a horse when dealing with chapter 17.. and Misha and her crew all brought ridersbanes. Which could have been nasty to deal with if I let them near the mounted units. Chapter 19 didn't have ridersbanes per se, but it did have pole-axe great knights. Which is inadverdantly what lead to Leif getting his move levels. Almost as if he was working out a counter strategy to them. That said... I can't imagine the things show up much more. Let's look. 7 Wyvern riders and up to 10 pole-axe axe knights in chapter 21, three Paladins and a general as well as 3 pole-axe generals in chapter 22 . Coulter's got one in chapter 23, his 8 wyvern riders do, and a General carries a pole-axe.
So that's up to 35 more. Not a lot by all rights. Enough to make having a hard counter at no deployment or movement cost nice all the same.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Don't have to worry about dropping an established member of the team if you already plan ahead of time to use the Est.

Tbf tho.....i think we all run into deployment issues haha.

Deployment slots are a fickle thing. You know you have more characters you want to use coming up... but you have one or two grow particularly well that you intended to be short term members and you don't want to give that up. Really, deployment slots add a lot to replayability. After one run of FE4, I don't feel much motivation to go back and revisit it... because even Johalvier got to kill a deadlord at the end by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. For the record, it was Bovis, who wandered onto the road to try and sneak behind the team I had entrenched in the forest.... only to get killed by Hannibal and Johalvier because swords can't counter bows, roads cost avoid, and if they missed Faval could one round him with the Yewfelle at zero cost to my strategy. The rest of the deadlords get to know they at least got taken out by the likes of Seliph's Tyrfing, Ced's Forsetti, Leif's overpowered promotion, Larcei's 50 kill brave sword, Shannan's Balmung or Julia's book of Naga. Bovis got taken out by a couple of guys I considered not walking to the final battle. And I will never forget that.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

I've got, like, 83 cousins in Spain, which means that there is a very good chance* that we are related!

*Approximately 0.002% chance, which is basically 50%.

I mean, that also means there is a very good chance* that you and I are related.

I knew our shared affinity for Berwick meant something, cousin.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So good chance Ruben is the one related to you instead.

Huh, neat. I have most likely Basque and Galician ancestry... just saying...

10 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

It's incredibly possible that some Spanish explorers mingled with my ancestors in Central America, making it likely that I have a few distant cousins in Spain.

We're all cousins of the Saint now!

Also if you've French ancestry, by the way. Half of my family is French.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yakuza-Majima-Goro-perfumes.png

Why does Yakuza get this stuff? -This is the second set of colognes that let you smell Like A Dragon.

Yakuza is the same series where you can encounter a dominatrix and teach her how to dom. Completely random shit is the name of the game here.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

>Everyone sharing their ancestry

>Me who knows barely anything about my family. I don’t even know who my dad is. My ancestry is primarily Scottish and uh… uhh… …

Oh, dear... Well, I won't pry. You're okay, though, right?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, dear... Well, I won't pry. You're okay, though, right?

Oh yeah, it’s totally fine. I’m not an orphan living on the streets, I’m just adopted. But for this conversation, it just means I need to get one of those fancy ancestry tests done eventually!

Edited by Sooks

Republicans......accidentally based?

FShQlv9XwAA21f3?format=jpg&name=medium

What's hilarious tho is the senator making the good point with the wrong justification. He wants to reduce the copyright years because "Disney woke" which is hilarious because Disney does like the bare minimum and that's on a good day.