Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Oh yeah, it’s totally fine. I’m not an orphan living on the streets, I’m just adopted. But for this conversation, it just means I need to get one of those fancy ancestry tests done eventually!

Ah, I see. Well, glad everything is good!

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Republicans......accidentally based?

FShQlv9XwAA21f3?format=jpg&name=medium

What's hilarious tho is the senator making the good point with the wrong justification. He wants to reduce the copyright years because "Disney woke" which is hilarious because Disney does like the bare minimum and that's on a good day.

Wrong reasons indeed, but copyright laws really need to change. It's insane that people can still claim ownership on characters that were written by folks who have been dead and rotting for three generations. And Disney definitely could use a slap on the face. Just, y'know... Not for being "radical woke SJWs" because two women kissed for two nanoseconds in the background of a shot lol.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

It it means anything, E-rank is the lowest rank you can finish SC with. Sky FC technically has a special scene if you finish the game with the minimal rank, but you'd have to skip every sidequest and miss almost every bonus BP opportunity to see it.

Wait, what special scene? This is the first I’m hearing of this.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's insane that people can still claim ownership on characters that were written by folks who have been dead and rotting for three generations.

I'm sure you know but back when (American at least) copyright laws were introduced, it was just a period of seven years because the lawmakers figured that seven years would be enough for the creators to get their money's worth.

And then Disney was like "hey lawmakers, what if we just expanded the copyright protections for like 90 years? Haha just kidding.....unless".

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Wait, what special scene? This is the first I’m hearing of this.

It specifically relates to the ending:

Spoiler

Normally after Cassius arrives to save Richard and the party from the final boss, Estelle and co. get to defeat the helpless Reverie themselves. But if your bracer rank is 5th class, Cassius destroys Reverie by himself in a cutscene.

Again this requires skipping every sidequest and missing almost every bonus BP opportunity, so it's very unlikely that anyone will see it by accident.

Hmm, far as I know, no direct ancestor from other countries.

That's going back as far at early 1800's on one side if I recall correctly and I've heard no indication of the other though I've heard less about that side's genealogy. Name wise, that side would have descent from Normans based on their surname so that's going back over 8 centuries.

14 hours ago, Benice said:

*Approximately 0.002% chance, which is basically 50%.

With the low percent crit and hit, this is inevitable.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reminds me I need to get back to reading the wine history book, I've still 150 pages to go. Most of the stuff that fascinated me was in the earlier eras, while 1800s to the modern day should still be interesting, it probably won't be to the same extent as Antiquity and the Middle Ages.

I was joking about history being full of dumb questions leading to dumb actions

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, since you might be interested, I feel like jotting down the one major Bible quote the book cited.:

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the winemaker... I am the vine, and you the branches. He who dwells in me, as I dwell in him, bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing".

-A passage cited by French vignerons (those who grew vines and also made wine) suggesting why they factually were overwhelmingly doctrinally conservative in France and tended to be a solid bastion of Catholic support during the Reformation. Not to say Protestantism and Huguenots were always teetotalers, they weren't. Both sides of the Age of Religious Wars had critics of the immorality brought on by too much alcohol. And the Protestants did restore wine to the laity during Communion.

The book also cites the famed Rule of St. Benedict. In which it is written that wine is not a drink suited for monks, yet as banning it is practically impossible, let wine be consumed, but not enough to induce drunkenness. One hermina (about a quarter liter) of wine a day was the permitted ration. Sick monks can ask for extra wine, as wine was sometimes considered medicine.

For more Biblical mentions, the famed "water into wine" New Testament miracle (the very first miracle Jesus carries out) implies that it was common practice in the Mediterranean during the early 1st century AD to serve the best wine first at any gathering. Makes some logical sense, as a sloshed mind with tastebuds saturated with booze is less likely to be discerning than a sober mind with a clean palette. The "wine" that Christ was given to ease or mock (depends on the specific Gospel) his dying while crucified was possibly posca- a mix of water and either vinegar or sour wine (wine that hasn't become vinegar just yet and still has some characteristics of wine, but very little alcohol), which Roman legions drank as a daily ration (posca dehydrates in large quantities, but does taste refreshing).

With regards to the Old Testament/Tanakh in Judaism, the book does mention that it is regarded positively. When Moses sent out scouts to the promised land, they came back with big bushels of grapes, and one of the first things Noah did after the Great Flood was over was to plant vineyards and make wine. Although, Noah then got himself irresponsibly drunk, and we can't forget how Lot was made drunk by his daughters so they could reproduce with him. The Tanakh appreciates a good wine grape, but not drinking-induced immorality. A few ancient Jewish sects strictly limited or banned alcohol, perhaps in emulation of the earliest Jewish nomads, but these groups were certainly the exception to the norms. Scripturally, Judaism/Tanakh/Old Testament is arguably not as pro-wine as Christianity/New Testament would be (blame Greco-Roman influences?), but neither was it anti-alcohol.

On Islam, the Quran does contain negative but also positive references to wine. Islamic Heaven does according to its Prophet Muhammad contain "rivers of delectable wine". The holy man according to one story (must be a hadith) visited a house one day and saw how jovial wine had made it and blessed the drink. The Prophet returned the next day and saw the same house was filled with bloodshed, he changed the blessing he gave to wine into a curse. The problem wasn't wine itself, but all the problems associated with drunkenness. So Islam's founder decided that his followers shouldn't drink on Earth, even though it would be perfectly fine for them to drink the abundant vino in paradise. From a cynical perspective, prohibiting alcohol in a world where nobody else did that made Muslims easier for their rulers to control and separated them from other cultures. However, a complete ban on intoxicating beverages took a couple centuries to sink in, and some peripheries like Islamic Spain continued to imbibe for a time while a few early Islamic scholars debated what if any amount of alcohol was okay.

...I need to take more notes like these.🤓

I had to sing I will be the vine before, thanks for sticking it in my head

Having a large glass of wine a day to avoid drunkenness? For some that's still too much I suspect. But yeah, alcohol's misuse as the sin is a nuance, even if some inside the church might benefit off it being sold.

I note the point about Islam and it's banning of alcohol, with how some Muslims in western countries might still imbibe despite it being very much against their faith. I saw it in college too, though you could take that with a pinch of salt because I wasn't badgering them about their theological stances.

12 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Eh? Why is that difficult? You hit it, run into it to turn it around, hit it again, repeat till it dies.

Well that's a strat that's news to me.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What's hilarious tho is the senator making the good point with the wrong justification. He wants to reduce the copyright years because "Disney woke" which is hilarious because Disney does like the bare minimum and that's on a good day.

Calls out copyright protections that Disney has pushed for decades to benefit themselves not because they actually feel like the copyright law needs changing but because the company annoyed them.

Truly, what does that party provide outside anger and a limited vision for a smaller set of people over time?

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

because Disney does like the bare minimum and that's on a good day.

I mean, the fact that making the cops gay last second in Gravity Falls was progress was a telling sign of how far they really have to come even then.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm sure you know but back when (American at least) copyright laws were introduced, it was just a period of seven years because the lawmakers figured that seven years would be enough for the creators to get their money's worth.

And then Disney was like "hey lawmakers, what if we just expanded the copyright protections for like 90 years? Haha just kidding.....unless".

They did that by pushing the boat out years at a time over the span of decades.

No matter how many others might have benefitted from it, Disney's by far the most prominent in calling for it. 56 years is a call made to piss them off, not to overturn copyright's stranglehold.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, I see. Well, glad everything is good!

Wrong reasons indeed, but copyright laws really need to change. It's insane that people can still claim ownership on characters that were written by folks who have been dead and rotting for three generations. And Disney definitely could use a slap on the face. Just, y'know... Not for being "radical woke SJWs" because two women kissed for two nanoseconds in the background of a shot lol.

What I don't get is why the focus so much on the original Mickey Mouse cartoon for the purposes of this article. Steamboat Willy was literally 1928. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 95 years from 1928 should be next year. I'd be more concerned about the stuff on the 57 year end if I were Disney, because that's got a long time to go. Then again, it's sort of poetic this bill would literally take anything created in Walt Disney's life time into the public domain pretty much instantly. Kind of hope they do it. Not in the least because I know a publisher that reprints public domain comics and this would make getting the stuff from the forties and fifties Marvel & DC never reprint so much easier.

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

What I don't get is why the focus so much on the original Mickey Mouse cartoon for the purposes of this article. Steamboat Willy was literally 1928. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 95 years from 1928 should be next year. I'd be more concerned about the stuff on the 57 year end if I were Disney, because that's got a long time to go. Then again, it's sort of poetic this bill would literally take anything created in Walt Disney's life time into the public domain pretty much instantly. Kind of hope they do it. Not in the least because I know a publisher that reprints public domain comics and this would make getting the stuff from the forties and fifties Marvel & DC never reprint so much easier.

A lot of the focus for Disney was maintaining it for Mickey, but naturally it helped for any other IP that they had. And with Mickey being a big part of the brand for such a long time it makes sense. I do think pulling that back a bit has been as a result of difficulty getting the copyright extended further beyond.

I think Aristocats would be safe for now, for what that's worth.

12 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

👀

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

lmao

well, a broken clock is right twice a day?

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

56 years is a call made to piss them off, not to overturn copyright's stranglehold.

Even then, reducing it to 56 years would add countless works to the public domain.

Republicans are doing this out of spite but regardless, this would be a good thing.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

More like 😬 to me.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Having a large glass of wine a day to avoid drunkenness? For some that's still too much I suspect.

Well it isn't to "cure" drunkenness. It's more the not unreasonable approach of "an outright ban on something is never going to be obeyed and will lead to uncontrolled illegal activity, permitting something with regulations stands a better chance of succeeding".

However, the Rule of St. Benedict and other monastic rules used by other orders, failed to fully restrain the human failings of supposed holy men. The Rule, like modern political constitutions, are inert documents and won't come alive and give violators -either blatant or indirectly such that it's not technically illegal what they're doing- flurry of very nasty paper cuts to punish them. For more on monastic dietary violations, there is this.:

If the timestamp isn't working, skip to 7:00.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

even if some inside the church might benefit off it being sold.

-Assuming anyone who didn't live at the abbey/priory/monastery got a sip of the stuff being fermented there. Travelers stopping at the holy house for a safe and refreshing rest might, but the rest of the population? Well, it depends on the size of the monastery, it's holdings, and its geographical location. For an economically flourishing Dark Age monastery, the abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Pres near Paris in 814 AD is provided as an example.:

• It owned 20000 hectares of cultivable land.
  • 300-400 hectares of which were vineyards.
  • The vineyards took the form of many small holdings scattered throughout the countryside near the rivers Seine or Marne.
  • Fewer than half the vineyards were cultivated by the monks themselves, most were leased to tenants who paid their rent and taxes in wine.
  • Each hectare provided 30-40 hectoliters of wine per year.
  • The abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Pres reserved about 640000 liters of wine per year for church services, daily monk consumption, and sale.
  • The tenants on the ecclesiastical lands were allowed to keep about 700000 liters of wine per year. What for? Maybe local peasant consumption, or maybe selling on the wine regional market, or perhaps both, we can't say for certain.

So yeah, this totally sounds like top-tier Church wealth, more than capable of selling off some surplus vino. 

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I note the point about Islam and it's banning of alcohol, with how some Muslims in western countries might still imbibe despite it being very much against their faith. I saw it in college too, though you could take that with a pinch of salt because I wasn't badgering them about their theological stances.

I am reminded that Turkey has a popular street beverage -I forget what it's called- that fluctuates according to present politics. If the central gov't is presently secular, it's mildly alcoholic, if the government is conservative (as it is now) they take the intoxication out of the drink.

38 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I think Aristocats would be safe for now, for what that's worth.

TBF, I'm not sure how much value that film has. The 60-80s were the "Disney dark age" after the titular man died and the studio receded into the background. The 90s was the start of Disney's modern resurgence and prosperous capitalist empire, a film well-suited to being symbolic of the start of this expansionary rebirth is The Little Mermaid (which is queer-coded I read once and gay men inspired by Broadway were involved in its creation).

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Even then, reducing it to 56 years would add countless works to the public domain.

Republicans are doing this out of spite but regardless, this would be a good thing.

It'd be a step forward.

Further could be asked for from here, but I suspect the answer there will be "We couldn't be bothered".

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I am reminded that Turkey has a popular street beverage -I forget what it's called- that fluctuates according to present politics. If the central gov't is presently secular, it's mildly alcoholic, if the government is conservative (as it is now) they take the intoxication out of the drink.

I wonder if they practice the removed one to make sure they get it right if they can change to it again.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

TBF, I'm not sure how much value that film has. The 60-80s were the "Disney dark age" after the titular man died and the studio receded into the background. The 90s was the start of Disney's modern resurgence and prosperous capitalist empire, a film well-suited to being symbolic of the start of this expansionary rebirth is The Little Mermaid (which is queer-coded I read once and gay men inspired by Broadway were involved in its creation).

I said for what that's worth because it..... is not good. We could quibble about success or failure of particular films, but Disney was well in decline from the 70's in terms of reception and then sales so that period would only really see protection for the sake of merchandising of the cute animals to be honest.

On the Disney Renaissance, I immediately thought of Howard Ashman, who was a major writer for the music in The Little Mermaid, BatB and Aladdin (only partly on the latter as he died in 1991) and he was definitely one of those cases who took inspiration from Broadway in the musical structure.

Screenshot_6754.png

Translation: "I won't let someone else beat KOS-MOS".

Honestly wasn't expecting a brainwashed KOS-MOS fight, that seems weird specifically for her.

Screenshot_6756.png

Screenshot_6757.png

XIAOMU NO

xSetDBLoNVlyw9wwe8xn6UPeQWyIyRIv6vThPoTp

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

More like 😬 to me.

Oh yeah, that's me on a daily basis for any proposed Republican action.

But like i said before, even though they're doing it for the wrong reasons, cutting the copyright year protections by like half would actually be a good thing. There's no reason it needs to last 70 years after the original creator's death (ok where did the 95 come from then?)

46 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Further could be asked for from here, but I suspect the answer there will be "We couldn't be bothered".

Realistically speaking, it probably won't pass at all.

I mean if they're doing it specifically because they think Disney is being woke, i'm pretty sure that'd violate some part of the First Amendment. I'm surprised a federal judge hasn't reversed what DeSantis did to Disney yet.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But like i said before, even though they're doing it for the wrong reasons, cutting the copyright year protections by like half would actually be a good thing. There's no reason it needs to last 70 years after the original creator's death (ok where did the 95 come from then?)

It being extended to 95 specifically? Maybe as a way to tread water, thinking they could extend it indefinitely by increments.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's a movie about cats, how could it ever be low value...

I'm not a cat person, if that helps.

Also, why does it feel like this was sung more here than it was in English?

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean if they're doing it specifically because they think Disney is being woke, i'm pretty sure that'd violate some part of the First Amendment. I'm surprised a federal judge hasn't reversed what DeSantis did to Disney yet.

Has it come to that level yet?

I must say I am doing so much better today, all I have is some light fatigue and a little loss of appetite.

That may sound bad but compared to the last few days I might as well be cured right now.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

FShQlv9XwAA21f3?format=jpg&name=medium

Ah yes, the classic doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

14 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

A certain Shiny Chariot comes to mind.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Has it come to that level yet?

DeSantis signed the Don't Say Gay bill. Disney said "maybe you shouldn't do that". A few days later, Florida lawmakers made a bill (which DeSantis signed) that strips Disney of it's special tax system that effectively allowed it's theme parks to be a city state (this will fuck up Orange County tax payers btw), effective next year. This was definitely politically motivated. 

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Honestly wasn't expecting a brainwashed KOS-MOS fight, that seems weird specifically for her.

I was surprised as well. Although I rather liked it, it showed a vulnerability to the invincible KOS-MOS I hadn't seen with the first EF. -Although as you've a full understanding of Xenosaga (I really need to start watching Ep. II soon), maybe fragility with Kossy is something you aren't so taken aback by. 

I also realized that with Aschie getting brainwashed in Exceed, that both of the androids, who are also the two not-Suzuka playables who didn't get cloned in the first EF, were victimized in Exceed. Not sure what the writers' intention behind this was. Although it does provide T-elos with a solid, serious reason to join the heroes.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Realistically speaking, it probably won't pass at all.

Oh sweet summer child. Wait two years and the new regime quite frankly won't give damn what a judge they don't like thinks.

...Time for some escapism now.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

I must say I am doing so much better today, all I have is some light fatigue and a little loss of appetite.

That may sound bad but compared to the last few days I might as well be cured right now.

Glad to hear you're improving.😃

Take it easy still, you don't want to exacerbate things by attempting needless exertions.

Oh, I'm really having fun writing Chapter 10. I can only hope readers may find it so reading it too... but I'm already guessing it could only be with a few.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

This was definitely politically motivated. 

This is why i don't engage in politics. there is no "truth" in this world anymore.

For everyone waiting on Vestaria Saga 2: I just found a link to Dangen Entertainment's discord server on Vestaria Saga 2's Steam forum. Out of curiosity, I went in.

Still no release date, but a dev came up just a week ago and said "soon". The following day, they claimed they "weren't joking" when they said the release date is "soon."

I know, this information is worth jack. Guess now that I'm here, I'll stick around. If anything juicier comes up, I'll let the rest of you know.